Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 15 of 19
Re: Hyde Park Live on ITUNES now
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 29, 2013 01:50

studiorambo
kowalski

If you mean burning iTunes tracks on a CD, that's right there will be no There will be a difference if the source for the CD is lossless (flac, alac, wav.

When an iTunes AAC track and CD is mastered from the same 24/96 master, I don't believe there's any audible difference. I've never seen any evidence utilising the scientific method that says otherwise. In saying that, one buyer can have a preference for one form or the other for any reason they please.

I'm not using any scientific method but only my ears and a good headphone. To me there's a difference between an album "mastered for iTunes" (256kbps AAC) and an album mastered for CD (16bit/44.1kHz PCM). As I said in another thread, the difference is not that big but it's here if you pay attention.

Re: Number One Spot Yet Again!
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 29, 2013 02:59

GOO
#3 in uk and USA isn't bad either.......wonder what the amount of downloads is

Strange how Hyde Park Live fails to make number 1 in the two countries where they've been playing live since their return to the concert stage in 2012.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 29, 2013 04:17

Why is it strange if there are more downloads in the countries that haven't had a chance to hear them yet?

Date: July 29, 2013 04:51

Because when you go and see them in concert you are primed to purchase more product, whether from the back catalog or fresh new live releases.

That's what a tour is, promotion for the band and its work, it puts them front and center in your mind with a fresh sense of immediacy in the present moment.

They have a PPV from the States in 2012 and play 18 shows there in 2013, then a BBC broadcast from Glastonbury after which two of their compilations triple in sales on the UK charts--if anywhere, this new release of Hyde Park Live should have been a U.S. and UK number 1 with all this concentrated performance and promotion in these two markets over the last 9 months. So I find that odd, that they fail to make the top spot in markets where they have made all this effort over nearly a year of hard work.

But at the very least--and this is probably the reason for this limited edition download--they are now able to gauge where the market demand is highest elsewhere in the world to help in planning further touring schedules.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 29, 2013 06:00

How popular do you expect a new Rolling Stones live album to be? It only has a handful of songs you couldn't get previously on the relatively recent Live Licks and Flashpoint. And, as stated previously, the playing and the musical accompaniment aren't much different from 1994 onward. Tumblin' Dice Voodoo Lounge ain't radically different from Tumblin' Dice Bridges to Babylon, etc., up to Hyde Park.

Hyde Park is more for the completist, the new fan, the hard core, and those in attendance. A nice group, but not a vast group.

Date: July 29, 2013 07:17

<<Hyde Park is more for the completist, the new fan, the hard core, and those in attendance. A nice group, but not a vast group.>>

Yes, well, apparently there are considerably more of those--a more vast group--in several countries other than the U.S. and UK.

It appears The Stones have spent the last 9 months touring the wrong markets.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: July 29, 2013 10:46

maybe all the people in the UK who bought GRRR after Glastonbury feel they've got the songs now without having to buy live versions?

Date: July 29, 2013 10:48

stonehearted
<<Hyde Park is more for the completist, the new fan, the hard core, and those in attendance. A nice group, but not a vast group.>>

Yes, well, apparently there are considerably more of those--a more vast group--in several countries other than the U.S. and UK.

It appears The Stones have spent the last 9 months touring the wrong markets.

I'll admit it's a different market. They want the experience of being there with the Stones. A live album, except for rare exceptions, is a poor substitute for being with the Stones in concert. I wonder what the T-shirt numbers are. I see an awful lot of people at U.S. Stones' shows buying a lot of t-shirts. That way they get something often unique to that concert.

From my experience I think the Europeans are stilled turned on to music in a way that has faded somewhat in the States. I go to Amsterdam and nice music is playing in all the different shops and canal side restaurants. I was there back in spring 2007 when 'Destination Unknown' sort of swept through. It was all the radios and the video was on TV. You don't see exciting little things like that in the States any more. 'Blurred Lines' is all the rage right now.

Date: July 29, 2013 10:53

I think it's also important to bear in mind that there are different competing albums out there in all these different markets. And that they only toured comparatively few cities in the US.

Date: July 29, 2013 11:00

When the Stones hit #3 in the UK and the US, we have no reason whatsoever to complain. It is indeed a fantastic achievement by the Stones at this stage in their career, imo thumbs up

Date: July 29, 2013 11:07

That's true--plus I don't know why I'm even commenting here, I don't care how many albums they sell! I'll just enjoy mine. smiling smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 29, 2013 11:41

Seems like they release something every week now. Remember in the 80s when they released one live album (Still Life) for the whole decade? Or the 70s with Love You Live as the only live album for that decade...

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: July 29, 2013 17:09

I just found out that my wife has an ipad that she uses for teaching. She has never downloaded music but she has itunes for getting teaching apps. So my question is, can she purchase/download the Hyde Park concert to her ipad, transfer it to a laptop (which doesn't have itunes), and then burn it to a CD so we can listen to it on a real stereo system? And if so, how does one do the transfer from the ipad to the laptop?

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 29, 2013 17:37

You need to download iTunes on the laptop, sign in with the same username/password and it will download it again & you can burn the CD. Or buy an AUX cable and connect the iPad to the stereo.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: July 29, 2013 18:18

Lorenz
You need to download iTunes on the laptop, sign in with the same username/password and it will download it again & you can burn the CD. Or buy an AUX cable and connect the iPad to the stereo.

Thx. I was hoping to avoid putting itunes on the laptop. Guess I'll try the ipad to stereo option.

Date: July 29, 2013 23:03

Listened to the 4 songs I downloaded, ER, RT, YCAGWYW, and Satisfaction. ER was a bit disappointing, without that edge of the studio recording. (Although it is one of Darryl's better performances, go figure). Ruby Tuesday was nice to hear, though not any better than Flashpoint. YCAGWYW was fun with the choir, and Satisfaction was the only part where the guitars were interesting, I'm assuming with the addition of Mick Taylor.

Date: July 29, 2013 23:15

24FPS
Listened to the 4 songs I downloaded, ER, RT, YCAGWYW, and Satisfaction. ER was a bit disappointing, without that edge of the studio recording. (Although it is one of Darryl's better performances, go figure). Ruby Tuesday was nice to hear, though not any better than Flashpoint. YCAGWYW was fun with the choir, and Satisfaction was the only part where the guitars were interesting, I'm assuming with the addition of Mick Taylor.

I can't hear Taylor on Satisfaction. RT is ace, and imo more authentic-sounding than the pretty good Flashpoint-version.

Surprisingly, Keith's guitar is a bit too high in the mix on ER.

Date: July 29, 2013 23:17

24FPS
I wonder what the T-shirt numbers are. I see an awful lot of people at U.S. Stones' shows buying a lot of t-shirts. That way they get something often unique to that concert.

Yes, sales were brisk for the show I was at. I waited in line for a half hour before I could make a purchase. It's a chance for a souvenir and also for showing the world that "I was there", because the design of a concert T is often unique to the standard Ts available to the general public. Several items had even sold out before I could reach the counter. A couple Ts also had images of Bill Wyman (one from the Steel Wheels era and one from the mid-60s that included Brian Jones--I got the Steel Wheels one, though Charlie was blocked out by Mick, as it was a concert stage or rehearsal photo). The only one that wasn't selling was a white T with a very recent photo of the four Stones on front. Most of the photo-free 50th anniversary Ts sold quite well though.

I would buy Hyde Park Live--but only on CD.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 29, 2013 23:24

Does anyone agree that Gimme Shelter is a little rusty? Or should I stop comparing it to the 1995 live version from 'Stripped Companion'? >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: July 29, 2013 23:25

Big Al
Does anyone agree that Gimme Shelter is a little rusty? Or should I stop comparing it to the 1995 live version from 'Stripped Companion'? >grinning smiley<

HP #1 version was better.

Date: July 29, 2013 23:34

A few lead breaks are rusty. The rest of the song is excellent, and Ronnie is doing some wonderful harmonies toward the ending.

Keith's intro on #1 was not good enough for a live album, imo.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: July 30, 2013 00:00

What everybody seems to ignore is that apart from the lossy format, you also need to download a crappy piece of a software to the pc. The previous setup where you just without registering enter you credit card details and get the files on the computer was much better. I paid for all 6 concerts. But not for this one. No nonsense software on my PC please.

Date: July 30, 2013 00:09

Whale
What everybody seems to ignore is that apart from the lossy format, you also need to download a crappy piece of a software to the pc. The previous setup where you just without registering enter you credit card details and get the files on the computer was much better. I paid for all 6 concerts. But not for this one. No nonsense software on my PC please.

It takes two minutes, and is done in excact the same way you download other types of software or media players.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 30, 2013 00:12

DandelionPowderman
Whale

It takes two minutes, and is done in excact the same way you download other types of software or media players.

But why should we have to install ANY software in order to download an MP3?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: July 30, 2013 00:22

Deltics
DandelionPowderman
Whale

Because if you don't you can't play the digital AAC-files on digital media players...

In your car, on your phone, on your iPod, on your surround tv-system etc etc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-30 00:23 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: July 30, 2013 00:31

Are people seriously still complaining about iTunes?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 30, 2013 00:36

DandelionPowderman
Deltics
DandelionPowderman
Whale

Because if you don't you can't play the digital AAC-files on digital media players...

Nonsense.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: July 30, 2013 01:34

Deltics
DandelionPowderman
Deltics
DandelionPowderman
Whale

Nonsense.

You need a media player, otherwise you are only able to play the files on the cd-format (which indeed isn't a lossless format either).

What did you have in mind, transferring the files to vinyl? Tape?

No, it's not nonsense.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 30, 2013 01:52

DandelionPowderman
Deltics
DandelionPowderman
Deltics
DandelionPowderman
Whale

Nonsense.

You need a media player, otherwise you are only able to play the files on the cd-format (which indeed isn't a lossless format either).

No, it's not nonsense.

You don't need iTunes to play AAC files on a computer. Many other media players can AAC files. Forcing the customer to install iTunes is just a way to make him stay in the iTunes/Apple world so that he will buy more Apple products (music, apps...). Never trust a company that force you to do things you don't need. That's the reason why I won't let iTunes enter any of my computers and never buy anything from Apple. Just too restrictive.

Date: July 30, 2013 02:18

kowalski
DandelionPowderman
Deltics
DandelionPowderman
Deltics
DandelionPowderman
Whale

Nonsense.

No, it's not nonsense.

You don't need iTunes to play AAC files on a computer. Many other media players can AAC files. Forcing the customer to install iTunes is just a way to make him stay in the iTunes/Apple world so that he will buy more Apple products (music, apps...). Never trust a company that force you to do things you don't need. That's the reason why I won't let iTunes enter any of my computers and never buy anything from Apple. Just too restrictive.

Then, you can't have Hyde Park, period. End of discussion. Maybe it will be available some other way in the future, but I doubt it.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 15 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2228
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home