Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ivan Neville on (not) guesting with the Stones
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 19, 2013 17:24

Illinois Entertainer interviewed Ivan about Dumpstaphunk's forthcoming album, and the Rolling Stones came up.

IE: Finally, the Rolling Stones had your dad, Aaron Neville, come up and sing “Under The Boardwalk” in Philadelphia with Mick Jagger. Were you jealous they didn’t call you up?
IN: You know what, I went to the show in Boston. I was there. I mean, I was with Keith [Richards]. I was at the soundcheck; I was there. Me and Ian went out to see them in Boston. I was there and I didn’t sit in. I was kinda pissed [laughs]. I’ve played on records with them. I played in a band with Keith. I played with them before onstage, but, yeah, they didn’t invite me to come and sit in. I was a little pissed. I was like, “Damn! I could have played on a song!” They were inviting a lot of people, I don’t know. They got like Gary Clark Jr. sitting with them like what three, four times or shit, but he’s like the new hot thing right now so. It’s cool. I’ve played with them before. It’s all right.

IE: No hard feelings?
IN: You had to ask me that shit. Goddamn! I did think of that. I was like, “F-ck, I wanted to play.” [laughs] I was f-cking with Keith and I talked to all of them. It’s one of those things, it wasn’t meant to be that night. I’m sure I’ll play with them again somewhere. Whatever, you know. I wouldn’t have minded playing on a song with them. I’m glad my dad got to sing with them.

[illinoisentertainer.com]

Ivan and Bernard Fowler in Boston, June 14

[www.facebook.com]

Re: Ivan Neville on (not) guesting with the Stones
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 19, 2013 23:48

thanks. nice read.

jeroen

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 20, 2013 12:56

Would've been cool to have Ivan ply. As far as Gary Clark Jr goes, I think he's the real deal. His cd is pretty good, not trapped in the straight blues thing. He did well on the Obama blues show. Not everyone can play with Jeff Beck & come off well. I know I would be intimidated! Side note: interested to see what comes of the Jeff Beck/Brian Wilson project. Beck's version of Surf's Up was stunning. Obviously it stunned Brian too.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 20, 2013 16:02

A million people like to play with them and many have had connections. You just can't overdo it.
But I like him being honest. Many others wouldn't do that.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 20, 2013 16:48

I think his honesty serves him well...any Stone getting wind of that article wouldn't be offended, and might even consider bringing him onstage for a future gig.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 20, 2013 16:53

Steve Jordan gets to 'sit in' first...solo assistants gotta back off...

Date: July 20, 2013 17:05

Ivan might be better known as a member of the Winos, but he also played on "Dirty Work" and "Voodoo Lounge".

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 20, 2013 18:39

bye bye johnny
Ivan might be better known as a member of the Winos, but he also played on "Dirty Work" and "Voodoo Lounge".

ok, I'm dying to say it..."high praise indeed".

Date: July 20, 2013 18:47

Pointed out that Neville was something other than a "solo assistant" is all.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 20, 2013 18:47

treaclefingers
bye bye johnny

ok, I'm dying to say it..."high praise indeed".

He did have the good sense to steer clear of ABB...go Ivan!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2057
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home