Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
"50 and counting" Boxscore
Posted by: superglen ()
Date: May 23, 2013 17:05

Re: "50 and counting" Boxscore
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 23, 2013 17:17

Good to see James McMurtry Still has it! #184

Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: May 23, 2013 17:21

So they HAVE sold out every date and are beating everyone else domestically--wow. So much for the doom & gloomers!

OK--come on 'experts' who know more than everyone else, including 'Billboard'--give us the 'insider, REAL story' that only YOU are privy to! But back it up with easily researchable facts that we all can see this time.

Date: May 23, 2013 17:22

all the RS May shows so far were sellouts...who said that it was a disaster?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 23, 2013 17:22

So much for the doom & gloomers...

Agreed, but what about the One More Shotters?

Date: May 23, 2013 17:27

and don't forget these:

The O2 Arena London 31,755 / 31,755 (100%) $17,100,700
Barclays Center Brooklyn 14,471 / 14,471 (100%) $7,297,560
Prudential Center Newark 27,476 / 27,476 (100%) $14,288,750

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 23, 2013 17:34

Well I'm not going to question the 'sellouts' but I would like to know whether they ended up selling every last ticket on day of show.

Seriously, there are always tickets left up to show time, are these tickets selling out then, or, how are they defining what a sellout is, ie is it 95% of tickets sold?

Something isn't quite right but it may be how they define a sellout, because I don't think all the tickets available are actually selling out.

Date: May 23, 2013 17:38

actually, the "sellouts" are questionable; on various music forums there's an endless debate on the meaning of the term.
what is not questionable is the number of tickets sold and the gross, which EXCLUDES merchandising...

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 23, 2013 17:40

treaclefingers
Well I'm not going to question the 'sellouts' but I would like to know whether they ended up selling every last ticket on day of show.

Seriously, there are always tickets left up to show time, are these tickets selling out then, or, how are they defining what a sellout is, ie is it 95% of tickets sold?

Something isn't quite right but it may be how they define a sellout, because I don't think all the tickets available are actually selling out.

u-post another interesting speculative postulation...

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 23, 2013 17:41

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-23 17:41 by bv.

Date: May 23, 2013 17:46

GRNRBITW
treaclefingers

Sellouts have always been a bit of a 'badge of honour'...I haven't seen them bragging about this...ie

"50 AND COUNTING....SOLD OUT!"

In fact in the media we've seen anything but, so it would be interesting to know how it's measured.

Date: May 23, 2013 17:50

treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
treaclefingers

Sellouts have always been a bit of a 'badge of honour'...I haven't seen them bragging about this...ie

In fact in the media we've seen anything but, so it would be interesting to know how it's measured.

the media postulates some interesting stuff, doesn't it?

Date: May 23, 2013 17:54

"sellout" means that every single ticket put on sale is sold.

example: if a venue can hold (in a 360 degree config) 20.000 people, but "only" 15.000 ticket are put on sale and sold (in a 270 config), it's a sell-out.
various modern venues around the world can be configured in different setups and capacities.

the debate is wheter to believe about the declared ticket availavability, or not.

Date: May 23, 2013 17:57

there are other things that sellout means...but i won't postulate about them here...

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 23, 2013 17:58

It's patently obvious the shows were not sold out. Flex pricing seemed to have affected some shows that came in around 50% of the gross of that one Staples show.

I postulate it's neither a record breaker nor a failure from a box office point of view.

Date: May 23, 2013 18:04

andrewt
It's patently obvious the shows were not sold out. Flex pricing seemed to have affected some shows that came in around 50% of the gross of that one Staples show.

I postulate it's neither a record breaker nor a failure from a box office point of view.

?

the Staples gross is for the 2 shows combined!

the tour is a smashing success, box office-wise. the grosses and the average ticket prices are astonishing

Date: May 23, 2013 18:13

superglen
the average ticket prices are astonishing

nobody will argue with you on this point...although other adjectives to describe them might be preferred

Date: May 23, 2013 18:14

GRNRBITW
superglen

nobody will argue with you on this point...although other adjectives to describe them might be preferred

"the people have spoken" and bought all those tickets

Date: May 23, 2013 18:15

superglen
GRNRBITW
superglen

"the people have spoken" and bought all those tickets

other people have spoken and declined.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 23, 2013 18:30

I said it once before: being used to the costs of our main opera house in Milano (the Scala) and of Champions League tickets I am not too surprises by the cost of the tickets to the Rolling Stones.

What really surprises me is how on average it has become expensive to go and see live music. It's only because the Stones charge so much that Springsteen tickets seem cheap!

C

Date: May 23, 2013 18:32

liddas
I said it once before: being used to the costs of our main opera house in Milano (the Scala) and of Champions League tickets I am not too surprises by the cost of the tickets to the Rolling Stones.

What really surprises me is how on average it has become expensive to go and see live music. It's only because the Stones charge so much that Springsteen tickets seem cheap!

C

and please remember to drop by and say it again at your earliest convenience...

Posted by: Alfonz ()
Date: May 23, 2013 18:40

These figures indicate that the shows might be "sold out", but in order to do this, AEG have had to drop prices significantly and are not making as much as they might have hoped. Maybe even relying on food/beverage/parking/merch to make a profit.

2012 shows (figures posted in thread by superglen):
Average attendance per show = 14,740
Average price per ticket = $525
Average gross per show = $7.74 million

2013 shows:
Average attendance per show = 13,594
Average price per ticket = $355 (though Vegas was $460)
Average gross per show = $4.83 million

Attendance per show is slightly less in May, but that's purely due to venue capacity. This slightly biases the gross figures, but can still see a direct comparison in the average price per ticket.

Interestingly, the supposedly much smaller Vegas show held more than Anaheim and San Jose, and only 800 less than LA and Oakland.

With more time to sell tickets for the later shows, I'd expect the price per ticket to increase as the tour goes on, and AEG might be able to squeeze some more profit out.

I'm not trying to make a negative comment on the tour. The Stones were magnificent at the Las Vegas show I saw, and they are still the biggest band in the world. Just a fact that the tour hasn't made the money (yet) that was made in the December shows, and is not appearing all that profitable for the promoter up to this point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-23 18:43 by Alfonz.

Date: May 23, 2013 18:40

liddas

true. they have grossed more playing to 13.000 people (Vegas) then Bruce playing to 44.000 people (Oslo)!!!

Date: May 23, 2013 18:45

Alfonz
These figures indicate that the shows might be "sold out", but in order to do this, AEG have had to drop prices significantly and are not making as much as they might have hoped. Maybe even relying on food/beverage/parking/merch to make a profit.

2012 shows (figures posted in thread by superglen):
Average attendance per show = 14,740
Average price per ticket = $525
Average gross per show = $7.74 million

2013 shows:
Average attendance per show = 13,594
Average price per ticket = $355 (though Vegas was $460)
Average gross per show = $4.83 million

Attendance per show is slightly less in May, but that's purely due to venue capacity. This slightly biases the gross figures, but can still see a direct comparison in the average price per ticket.

Interestingly, the supposedly much smaller Vegas show held more than Anaheim and San Jose, and only 800 less than LA and Oakland.

With more time to sell tickets for the later shows, I'd expect the price per ticket to increase as the tour goes on, and AEG might be able to squeeze some more profit out.

I'm not trying to make a negative comment on the tour. The Stones were magnificent at the Las Vegas show I saw, and they are still the biggest band in the world. Just a fact that the tour hasn't made the money (yet) that was made in the December shows, and is not appearing all that profitable for the promoter up to this point.

what is it, 18 shows averaging around $5 million each?

Stones guarantee was $80 million?

That doesn't leave much for expenses and for even slightly lower ticket sales.

Date: May 23, 2013 18:45

Alfonz
I'm not trying to make a negative comment on the tour.

rats. there have been precious few since they played the greatest show in rock music history the other night.

Date: May 23, 2013 18:46

anyway, six shows in California (+ Vegas)...ain't that a bit too much?

Date: May 23, 2013 18:48

the guarantee includes, of course, all (or most) of the expenses! staging, roadies, travel, catering, accomodations...

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 23, 2013 19:05

GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
treaclefingers

the media postulates some interesting stuff, doesn't it?

I'm going to invest in speculatory postulations..........they are up I hear.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 23, 2013 19:07

GRNRBITW
Alfonz

rats. there have been precious few since they played the greatest show in rock music history the other night.

"Legendary" I thought.

Date: May 23, 2013 19:20

Thrylan
GRNRBITW
Alfonz

"Legendary" I thought.

the show is already a legend in its own mind and time. i believe this is a world-record for shortest time to legendary status. my staff of subject matter experts owes me a final report by EOW....

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1438
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home