Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: IORR policy and closed/deleted threads
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 22, 2018 20:33

timbernardis
Why is the word @#$%& turned into gobbledygook when typed in this forum?

plexi

I can name a few that would result in that with the F word being the first one that comes to mind.
Also, I tried to type in the H word (Adolphs last name) awhile back for whatever reason it was, and it resulted in this > @#$%&.
Appropriate that @#$%& is equated with @#$%& as he's a true evil @#$%&.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 22, 2018 20:48

on the subject of deleted threads.

i started a topic last week on whether the stones music in gigs had become more intense in the last tour compared to tours in recent years.

should have and would have become a good basis for discussion.

but the threads gone.

why.

and yet we still have threads discussing the beatles that have existed for years.

ive never critisised this forum before but thats a shocking decision.

is this a rolling stones discussion forum or not.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 22, 2018 20:57

There is a lost of words that will be scrambled on IORR. The reason is to avoid abuse and offences. The history is usually this... First someone use the word in an offensive way. Then it is appearing again and again. Every time someone post something offensice I have to clean up the dirt. it might take a minute or five. So twento posts and quotes might take an hour. I am a real person with a real life, also outside IORR, so rather than spendinmg an hour cleaning out offensive talk I just ban the critical word then first of all everyone understand it is wrong, but even more important Google and all other search engines do see just ¤%&/( so they will not be able to refere to IORR regarding this.

I use the cencor/ban function for smap like products, web addresses, or offensive. I could use it for Beatles but to be honest nothing is wrong with beatles so You can write Beatles as many times as you like normally in a thread marked OT: in the subject. I could ban Jagger and I could ban Bjornulf but I could not ban me and you because those terms are too often in other words.

On a side note, if people make variations of banned words, that is also an offense, which I would not accept, but that would never happen, because everyone on IORR are great people and they don't normally spell ouit four lettered words on toilet walls.

Talking about toilet walls, I remember one little funny comment on a toilet wall of one of the smaller ice rinks in Oslo (M/S hallen). It was harmless and sweet. It was reading like this:

Jarle Friis er kjekk ("named ice hockey player" is handsome)

Then someone else had written an extra line under this one as follows:

Hilsen Stevie Wonder (Regards Stevie Wonder)

Well you might say that someone could be offended, but that was one of the better toilet wall comments I have seen. You don't have to use four lettered words or dirty names in order to make a smile.

Bjornulf

Date: August 22, 2018 21:00

buttons67

i started a topic last week on whether the stones music in gigs had become more intense in the last tour compared to tours in recent years.

but the threads gone.

why.

and yet we still have threads discussing the beatles that have existed for years.

It was merged with this thread:

The Rolling Stones No Filter UK/Europe Tour 2018 talks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-22 21:01 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 22, 2018 21:31

I don't mind the "gobbledygook" as it was termed. It reminds me of comic strips or comic books where the reader was to imagine what was being said.

It mainly amuses me in Track Talks when quoting Jagger/Richards such as this one: [iorr.org]

And I love you, dirty f u c k e r, sister and a brother
Moaning in the moonlight, singing for your supper

when Rene should have quoted properly:

And I love you, dirty @#$%&, sister and a brother
Moaning in the moonlight, singing for your supper

that's what I hear Mick sing, anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-22 21:33 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: August 23, 2018 08:26

Hairball
buttons67

but the threads gone.

why.

...and since as far as most people can see the thread has vanished without explanation (including the originator of the thread) then it might as well have been deleted. I can see why multiple threads announcing the same event or article should be combined, but I don't see why so many interesting topics are swept up and dumped into a vaguely titled catch-all thread where they are lost to view and all discussion ceases. Buttons67's thread is a case in point. There was another discussion recently where, because the original post happened to contain a video, it was merged into the "favourite videos" thread and lost.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-23 08:35 by Green Lady.

Date: August 23, 2018 08:47

Another reason for changing offensive words into !"#¤%&/%¤# style is that some search engines and firewalls do block traffic with such words, in fact they will categorize sites with offensive talk as "entertainment" or "offensive" or "adult" and you will not be able to read IORR from every network like work, libary or may be if you travel to a place where they do not accept such. So I try to make IORR 100% available and out of any ban lists.

Bjornulf

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 23, 2018 10:15

i post a lot on cure fan forum & it has the same thing. also, no politics. maybe a little looser. when appropriate we tend to make up humorous alternatives. on the other extreme, echoing the sound (NIN) is wide open. you have to be in right mood. trent reznor himself got mad at 1 idiot fan & came on to tell him to suck his entire .....rutabaga. grinning smiley

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: August 23, 2018 11:25

Well, I've always stumbled over this point.

Being as it is, we are unable to quote quite a lot of Stones lyrics on this forum for they contain f-words or other offensive speech.

That is to say, on this - imo Number One - Stones forum we are unable to quote certain Stones lyrics.

Any ideas, bv, how to solve this problem?

d.f

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: August 23, 2018 20:08

You are quoting them. So what if it translates it to another "language." We all know the lyrics any way. Mostly. I still say "I Could Have Stood You Up" is far ruder than "shucks, my dear."

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 23, 2018 20:35

what tics me off is some people will just go on and on if you know what i mean.
i mean, wow. a lot of stuff that does not even seem connected. at least
at first. i/m not saying 'ban' or anything, but wtf!?

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: August 23, 2018 22:54

I like the Feb-April mention for the Stones tour!!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 24, 2018 09:10

Hairball
timbernardis

plexi

I can name a few that would result in that with the F word being the first one that comes to mind.
Also, I tried to type in the H word (Adolphs last name) awhile back for whatever reason it was, and it resulted in this > @#$%&.

and Hairball, how did u know it was that name? does each banned word have a particular identifying set of characters, symbols, etc which is overwritten over the banned word?

yes, it was Adolf's (not Adolph) last name. Why should that be scrambled/banned?

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-24 09:19 by timbernardis.

Date: August 24, 2018 10:04

timbernardis
Hairball
timbernardis

plexi

and Hairball, how did u know it was that name? does each banned word have a particular identifying set of characters, symbols, etc which is overwritten over the banned word?

yes, it was Adolf's (not Adolph) last name. Why should that be scrambled/banned?

plexi

Not sure I follow what you're saying, but as I stated, I typed his last name in a post a while back for whatever reason, and it appeared as @#$%& after I posted message.
In other words, I didn't know it would result in that until after I posted message. And yes, it's spelled Adolf - not Adolph - I stand corrected.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 24, 2018 10:56

Green Lady
Hairball
buttons67

but the threads gone.

why.

...and since as far as most people can see the thread has vanished without explanation (including the originator of the thread) then it might as well have been deleted. I can see why multiple threads announcing the same event or article should be combined, but I don't see why so many interesting topics are swept up and dumped into a vaguely titled catch-all thread where they are lost to view and all discussion ceases. Buttons67's thread is a case in point. There was another discussion recently where, because the original post happened to contain a video, it was merged into the "favourite videos" thread and lost.

Good point.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 24, 2018 10:57

bv
Another reason for changing offensive words into !"#¤%&/%¤# style is that some search engines and firewalls do block traffic with such words, in fact they will categorize sites with offensive talk as "entertainment" or "offensive" or "adult" and you will not be able to read IORR from every network like work, libary or may be if you travel to a place where they do not accept such. So I try to make IORR 100% available and out of any ban lists.

Never thought of that - good point!

Date: August 24, 2018 22:10

dead.flowers
Well, I've always stumbled over this point.

Being as it is, we are unable to quote quite a lot of Stones lyrics on this forum for they contain f-words or other offensive speech.

That is to say, on this - imo Number One - Stones forum we are unable to quote certain Stones lyrics.

Any ideas, bv, how to solve this problem?

d.f

Star Star is the official name
CS Blues works fine

I don't see the problem.

Anything that would go into the front page of New York Times pay be posted on IORR.

Bjornulf

Date: August 24, 2018 22:22

About merging threads:

Some threads come to life at a moment, like something you say to a friend, sitting on the Spaish Steps, or on the bus, or in a car. Then the talks go on. For an hour, a day or a month. May be more. If the subject line is good then you may find this thread one or ten years later, by writing this on google or otrher search engines:

<terms> iorr

But if the thread was simply "I love Beatles", or "I hate high ticket prices", then you will never ber able to find it anywhere on Internet, or on IORR; the next year.

There are one million posts on IORR by now. They are all collected and filed in a database, indexed by Google and other search engines, easy to find, if they are structured, but if they don't stand out subject wise, you will never find them, a week or a month after they have been posted.

Many threads directly related to the No Filter Tour do belong to that thread, so they end up there, even if they might be one out of hundred variations. Otherwise you would never be able to sarch for them, and find them.

Some final words:
Some think there is an IORR staff, and an IORR office. There is not. Luckily there are helpful fans who assist in info about threads and posts, what to merge, what is offending, and so on, but the actual administration is done by me, the admin, only. I don't spend all my life on IORR admin. Right now I am still recovering from the tour, it takes a month or two, I try to get back to normal life, so I don't sit and work with IORR admin for hours every day. I hope that is ok. During the tours I spend hours every day on IORR, now I spend a bit more time on my private life.

So some times there is one too many merge or one to few merge, please don't take it personally. It just means I spent my time on something else in that moment in time. Thanks for your understanding.

Bjornulf

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 24, 2018 23:04

I will work on my swearing, sorry.

Also, I am assuming I can bump a Track Talk thread or an Album Talk thread if I had a question.

Thanks for all your time Bjornulf.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 25, 2018 00:39

I will work on my swearing, sorry

Just slap Scorsese's Wolf Of Wall Street on repeat …..

ROCKMAN

-
Posted by: Santipab ()
Date: September 25, 2018 12:32

-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-26 19:05 by Santipab.

-
Date: September 25, 2018 12:57

-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-26 19:03 by Santipab.

Re: Delete user.
Date: September 25, 2018 13:50

Santipab
NICOS
Green Lady
BluzDude
Santipab
I wish I could permanently delete this user ID since I no longer have access to the associated email address (and it can't be changed on this forum).

Send a note to bv, he might be able to help

I know I have changed my email address at leazt once and kept the same username, but I can't remember how. I think I just emailed bv.

Go to "My Control Center" om the right top of this page and you can edit your email...............

The "My Control Center" option doesn't work.

It works. I just checked. Choose «edit email settings» and insert the new one.

Date: September 25, 2018 14:29

Santipab
bv
If you have changed e-mail then just register a new user and send me an e-mail telling me about the new and old user.

No I just want to delete the account and email under this user ID.

No need to change the e-mail. If you want access using a new e-mail then just add a new user.

Bjornulf

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: September 25, 2018 15:51

DandelionPowderman
Santipab
NICOS
Green Lady
BluzDude
Santipab
I wish I could permanently delete this user ID since I no longer have access to the associated email address (and it can't be changed on this forum).

I know I have changed my email address at leazt once and kept the same username, but I can't remember how. I think I just emailed bv.

Go to "My Control Center" om the right top of this page and you can edit your email...............

And then press "Submit" and nothing happens. You get a blank page and nothing has changed.

Date: September 25, 2018 15:54

midnrambler
DandelionPowderman
Santipab
NICOS
Green Lady
BluzDude
Santipab

And then press "Submit" and nothing happens. You get a blank page and nothing has changed.

Maybe there is a function that notices Bjørnulf of the change, and that's why it doesn't change automatically (He has to approve, or something)? That's where my competence stops smiling smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 25, 2018 16:10

bv
Santipab
bv
If you have changed e-mail then just register a new user and send me an e-mail telling me about the new and old user.

No I just want to delete the account and email under this user ID.

No need to change the e-mail. If you want access using a new e-mail then just add a new user.

Someone who has been well known for years under their old name may not want a new identity.

-
Date: September 25, 2018 18:46

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-26 19:03 by Santipab.

Date: September 25, 2018 22:05

Green Lady

Someone who has been well known for years under their old name may not want a new identity.

Well IORR is a free site with no sponsors or commercials, so if you change e-mail then very simple you change from nick to nick2 not that complicated. There are bigger problems in life, and to be honest, an upgrade of the IORR forum to a much more advanced functionality is not my priority now.

Bjornulf

-
Date: September 26, 2018 07:18

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-26 19:03 by Santipab.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2364
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home