Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: New Start Me Up riff...
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 18, 2013 17:31

hot smileysmileys with beer
Spud
Can't believe folks are still discussing this tired old subject as if there's some mysterious and sinister discovery to be made.

1. Keith is a sloppy guitar player on stage...always has been...whether stoned, drunk or straight.
[Not helped by all the posing, shape throwing and safari expeditions around huge modern era stages. Sometimes he's just hit the wrong fret because he's been jumping/spinning about or charging the front of the stage like some kind of lunatic goblin ! ]

2, He seems unwilling to pay any extra attention to his fingering of the certain chord positions which must be compromised on a narrow electric neck by the nodes on his first finger joints...

I think he's tried to focus better technically ..but it's not in his nature.
He's always been one to "wing it" and just gets carried away on the rush.

Keith is Keith is Keith ...and I think it's a bit late in the day to expect him to change.

I'm just thankful that he's still around and still more than able to hit a uniquely timed chord that raises every hair on your freakin body !

[edited for sloppy keyboard fingering ]

jeroen

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 18, 2013 17:42

laertisflash
DoomandGloom wrote: "I've watched Keith make mistakes since 1977. Never seen a show where he didn't crash and burn somewhere all of this could be attributed to his legendary party life."

Well said. In addition, the "explanation" that Keith botched SMU intro once or twice because "his brain has been cooked" runs contrary some logical questions. Is it a particular brain's part that does "dictat" SMU intro, but not the intros of other 55 songs? And this particular brain's part have been destroyed, for some reason, just before the 25th of the 26 shows og this tour's leg? Come on, boys...

I don't buy the 'a nod to 1969's going out of tune' crap either. He screwed up. Amazingly the same riff the same time - the first one of the first song. Perhaps because he wasn't looking (watching) what he was doing. More likely it was nerves - and that botch was the quickest snap out of the nerves. Unfortunately both times.

And if it is a certain part of the brain that dictates screwing up then that was damaged a very long time ago, before any fictitious coconut tree or Muddy painting the ceiling...

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 18, 2013 17:44

Should open with a drum riff.

GOOMC.

Problem solved.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 19, 2013 02:31

Spud

1. Keith is a sloppy guitar player on stage...always has been...whether stoned, drunk or straight.
[Not helped by all the posing, shape throwing and safari expeditions around huge modern era stages. Sometimes he's just hit the wrong fret because he's been jumping/spinning about or charging the front of the stage like some kind of lunatic goblin !

You got him pegged!

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 19, 2013 02:53

More Hot Rocks
sonomastone
More Hot Rocks
Listen; His third finger is hitting the wrong string. Its coming down in the 5th string instead of the 4rd string during the F chord. he makes the same stupid mistake when he plays Brown Sugar when he hits the C chord. The guy is spent. It's got nothing to do with arthritis or a fall. it all those years of cooking his brain. It's damaged. You don't do 45 years of drug and alcohol abuse and think your Brian can function like a normal persons. yes he can articulate and reason and socialize. that's a different part of your brain.

F chord????

Yes the second chord is an F.

my bad, that's what I get for talking about guitar playing when I learned everything I know from tabs on the internet.

I thought it was a suspended C chord.

I still don't think it was a mistake though, since he repeated it again.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 19, 2013 13:51

i got to learn how to play it the new way now

Date: July 19, 2013 18:16

sonomastone
More Hot Rocks
sonomastone
More Hot Rocks
Listen; His third finger is hitting the wrong string. Its coming down in the 5th string instead of the 4rd string during the F chord. he makes the same stupid mistake when he plays Brown Sugar when he hits the C chord. The guy is spent. It's got nothing to do with arthritis or a fall. it all those years of cooking his brain. It's damaged. You don't do 45 years of drug and alcohol abuse and think your Brian can function like a normal persons. yes he can articulate and reason and socialize. that's a different part of your brain.

F chord????

Yes the second chord is an F.

my bad, that's what I get for talking about guitar playing when I learned everything I know from tabs on the internet.

I thought it was a suspended C chord.

I still don't think it was a mistake though, since he repeated it again.

It's a fourth, which for some reason is called IV in any music literature.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: July 19, 2013 20:19

If you think that was a botched intro listen to umt from Hampton 81. He plays in the wrong key for a full minute there!

Posted by: Black Angel ()
Date: July 19, 2013 20:46

I don't like to say it, but this is the reason while the tour started with NO opening riff (GOOMC). They have changed for the outdoor shows hoping the best

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 19, 2013 23:07

Black Angel
I don't like to say it, but this is the reason while the tour started with NO opening riff (GOOMC). They have changed for the outdoor shows hoping the best
as it needs to be....

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 20, 2013 10:19

"If you think that was a botched intro listen to umt from Hampton 81. He plays in the wrong key for a full minute there!"

Thanks, sis 12! I thought i was the only one who has observed it. Now i know that it's not just me...

Posted by: Steen G ()
Date: July 21, 2013 00:28

Anybody with a link to a version 13/7/13 that is not blocked by Eagle records?

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: July 21, 2013 02:01

its weird,listen to his playing in vegas on gimme shelter,he kills it,absolutely awesome,then this.makes no sense.

Date: July 22, 2013 03:12

Steen G
Anybody with a link to a version 13/7/13 that is not blocked by Eagle records?

Date: July 22, 2013 03:12

Wow, can hardly hear it! Had no idea the sound quality was so poor on that one.

Date: July 22, 2013 03:14

OK, this one you can hear it...

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 22, 2013 03:18

Upside down...psychotic reaction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-22 03:36 by shadooby.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 22, 2013 03:33

New Undercover Riff...The Cult Rocks!!!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 22, 2013 14:16

Hah, he did it so bad as well at the second show? I didn't notice anything - I was just jumping and screaming my lungths out at the moment... >grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Posted by: MarcJ ()
Date: July 22, 2013 18:21

Well they have overdubbed the riff on the itunes album Hyde Park Live 2013 !
It is back as it has always been....

I believe that on the 13th, Keith made it like he did wrong on the 6th, only for joking of his first error.

SCARF ME UP ... Was It An Anti-Bootleg Measure?
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 25, 2013 17:10

Or possibly a way to make people buy the official "fixed" release?

Re: SCARF ME UP ... Was It An Anti-Bootleg Measure?
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 25, 2013 17:17

Don't start that again ! grinning smiley

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: July 25, 2013 17:56

schillid
Or possibly a way to make people buy the official "fixed" release?

You credit Keith with too much self control. I think that if the corporate would have wanted to do so, they would have assigned Charlie for the "screwup" job.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: July 25, 2013 19:28

Yeah, like "Let's give a really bad live performance to encourage people to buy the record". Great marketing strategy.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: JC21769 ()
Date: August 3, 2013 20:03

who gives a crap if he pranged a chord or did it on purpose? How about every other song and moment during that show or any other show where everything went just right?

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: August 3, 2013 20:06

JC21769
How about every other song and moment during that show or any other show where everything went just right?

We don't care about that.

Posted by: greenriver ()
Date: August 3, 2013 21:46

JC21769
who gives a crap if he pranged a chord or did it on purpose? How about every other song and moment during that show or any other show where everything went just right?
It could be right if it was spend in the middle of the show or a song but at the second chord of the show intro, it's really inexcusable.
What can think a young guy who sees them for the first time, and it's not like nils lofgren playing an intro and making a looping on his trampoline at the same time. He comes quietly to the edge of the stage, looks at the crowd then at this guitar neck and finally misses this and his easy intro. That's all.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 4, 2013 00:12

Silver Dagger
Like I said before this is Keith's 'jazz version'. Jazzmen are known for never playing the same song twice and Keith must be bored to death with going through the motions and churning out the same riffs. He's evolving as a musician so let's just dig it how he plays them these days. It's his riff, he plays it how he wants to.

He had a jazzlike attitude to music in the 70s but changing the intro of Start me up after almost 35 years (the best version being the 1981 version) is not what I'd call never playing the same song twice. grinning smiley

Date: August 4, 2013 01:23

Best version is on Flashpoint.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 4, 2013 11:47

laertisflash
"If you think that was a botched intro listen to umt from Hampton 81. He plays in the wrong key for a full minute there!"

Thanks, sis 12! I thought i was the only one who has observed it. Now i know that it's not just me...

well, it's just you two then, because it is bollocks. Nobody is out of tune during the intro.

Mathijs

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1945
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home