Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: New Start Me Up riff...
Date: July 15, 2013 18:34

laertisflash
What comes next? Seeing Keith' eyes and predicting when exactly he' ll die??

He will never die then. "I saw them flashing like airplane lights". smiling smiley

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 15, 2013 18:41

It could have been flubbed the first time...But when all the innernet feedback and speculation reached Keith days later (he does not go online) via his gofers and children ....

Keith might have thought -- "I'll do it again and keep 'em guessing"

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: July 15, 2013 18:51

Any one remember the snafu in Rio? Keith started playing "Oh no, Not you again", a song they had already played earlier in the set. Ron ran over and stopped him. Keith looked totally confused or upset with his self. When the show was re-broadcast later, that part was edited out.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: July 15, 2013 19:07

triceratops
It could have been flubbed the first time...But when all the innernet feedback and speculation reached Keith days later (he does not go online) via his gofers and children ....

Keith might have thought -- "I'll do it again and keep 'em guessing"
you think his family and people talk to him about what people write on the internet? I think he couldn't care less and it's the last thing in the world they talk about with him and whatever goes on here is simply not part of his world. Just my opinion.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 15, 2013 19:26

from the daily telegraph:

"We all know about Jagger’s punishing health regime, but I don’t know what Richards is up to. He stands straighter, and moves lighter and quicker than at any time for three decades, and where once he stuck to the riffs and rhythm chords that snake through the middle of Stones songs, now he’s back firing off his Chuck Berry style solos with grinning confidence. "

Date: July 15, 2013 19:47

sonomastone

"We all know about Jagger’s punishing health regime, but I don’t know what Richards is up to. He stands straighter, and moves lighter and quicker than at any time for three decades, and where once he stuck to the riffs and rhythm chords that snake through the middle of Stones songs, now he’s back firing off his Chuck Berry style solos with grinning confidence. "

Jagger's punishing health regime...... that material with his Norweigan trainer on tour with him and Mick running 8 miles a day is from years ago. Maybe the 2007 tour. I doubt he is "punishing" himself this way anymore. He is doing something (of course) but not what it once was

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 15, 2013 22:04

triceratops
sonomastone

Jagger's punishing health regime...... that material with his Norweigan trainer on tour with him and Mick running 8 miles a day is from years ago. Maybe the 2007 tour. I doubt he is "punishing" himself this way anymore. He is doing something (of course) but not what it once was
Dude...Mick's skinnier than EVER at 70 years old.

He's clearly working his ass off...there is simply no way for a human being of Mick's age to do what he does onstage without, yes, PUNISHING workouts.

The man is superhuman.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 15, 2013 22:16

Sounds like he botched the intro a little on the 13th as well!

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: July 15, 2013 22:36

As ive believed...sftd off key solos were intentional..its harder to play a key down then pick up again..
This is the riff-miester messing with us intentionally...
Hes loving it.
Dough

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 17, 2013 00:49

call it

Start Me Off

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 17, 2013 16:41

Big Al
Sounds like he botched the intro a little on the 13th as well!

Clearly proof - PROOF! - that no one reads The Troll's posts here.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 17, 2013 17:09

Irix
franzk

It's Hyde Park - guitars must be detuned.

Yes, I think that too that the weird intro was an intention. As a reference to Hyde Park '69 like the white blouse or the butterflies.

(Intro at approx. 1min30):

By the way, I found that the Intro on 13th is not so much out of tune, but on 6th it was definitely .....

What the hell was that?

That's even more bizarre.

Posted by: beepee2 ()
Date: July 17, 2013 18:27

I came across a sensible explanation: arthritis.

This would make the first time he flexes his finger go wrong, and then be ok; that's something some of you might have experienced if you play tennis for instance (first serve out by 20 meters), or any sort of movement you do for the very first time in a sport session before the warm-up.

Date: July 17, 2013 18:49

beepee2
I came across a sensible explanation: arthritis.

This would make the first time he flexes his finger go wrong, and then be ok; that's something some of you might have experienced if you play tennis for instance (first serve out by 20 meters), or any sort of movement you do for the very first time in a sport session before the warm-up.

Um he definitely warms up prior to hitting the stage.
This was intentional IMO

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 17, 2013 19:02

Oh shi*t.. Let this go... If you ever made a terrible mistake you know it's easy to repeat it. Mick should have opened with something else the second show. SMU really belongs in the end part of the program as it's Ronnie's highlight solo spot. That's how I'll always remember Woody, sneakers twisted, strat strutting through his jam. As far as Keith, he's in London daylight, one can only guess the brain lag from being home with his cronies. He takes a shot of vodka, hit's the stage and freezes up for a moment. This is The Stones, they are human and elegantly cavalier...

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 18, 2013 00:01

Listen; His third finger is hitting the wrong string. Its coming down in the 5th string instead of the 4rd string during the F chord. he makes the same stupid mistake when he plays Brown Sugar when he hits the C chord. The guy is spent. It's got nothing to do with arthritis or a fall. it all those years of cooking his brain. It's damaged. You don't do 45 years of drug and alcohol abuse and think your brain can function like a normal persons. yes he can articulate and reason and socialize. that's a different part of your brain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-18 00:19 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: July 18, 2013 00:04

DID THEY PLAY START ME UP AT THE 69 GIG?

Date: July 18, 2013 00:06

More Hot Rocks
Listen; His third finger is hitting the wrong string. Its coming down in the 5th string instead of the 4rd string during the F chord. he makes the same stupid mistake when he plays Brown Sugar when he hits the C chord. The guy is spent. It's got nothing to do with arthritis or a fall. it all those years of cooking his brain. It's damaged. You don't do 45 years of drug and alcohol abuse and think your Brian can function like a normal persons. yes he can articulate and reason and socialize. that's a different part of your brain.

F chord????

Date: July 18, 2013 00:12

BILLPERKS

Yes.

It was called I'm Free to do what I want back then.

Date: July 18, 2013 00:18

sonomastone
More Hot Rocks
Listen; His third finger is hitting the wrong string. Its coming down in the 5th string instead of the 4rd string during the F chord. he makes the same stupid mistake when he plays Brown Sugar when he hits the C chord. The guy is spent. It's got nothing to do with arthritis or a fall. it all those years of cooking his brain. It's damaged. You don't do 45 years of drug and alcohol abuse and think your Brian can function like a normal persons. yes he can articulate and reason and socialize. that's a different part of your brain.

F chord????

Yes the second chord is an F.

Date: July 18, 2013 00:38

Yep it's a definitely an "F" chord.

Date: July 18, 2013 02:07

BILLPERKS

KEITH IS THE MAN!! AS SUCH HE WILL PLAY IT ANY DAMN WAY HE PLEASES!! DON'T F WITH HIM HE USUALLY HAS A KNIFE!!!

Date: July 18, 2013 04:25

triceratops
BILLPERKS

KEITH IS THE MAN!! AS SUCH HE WILL PLAY IT ANY DAMN WAY HE PLEASES!! DON'T F WITH HIM HE USUALLY HAS A KNIFE!!!

He's been ridding Micks coat tail for the last 10 years. After LIFE, Keith said something to fact about concessions were made. I'm pretty sure Mick told him to get his sh** together musically for the 50TH. How the hell does Mick put up with ineptness is beyond me.
And as far as the knife thing is concerned. There are a lot of people that would eat him alive.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-18 04:26 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: July 18, 2013 04:43

I read that Keith received a "Disruptive Innovations" award for open G tuning, as though he were the guy that invented it. I'm sure those same people will recognize him for his work in modifying the intro to Start Me Up.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 18, 2013 05:12

More Hot Rocks
Listen; His third finger is hitting the wrong string. Its coming down in the 5th string instead of the 4rd string during the F chord. he makes the same stupid mistake when he plays Brown Sugar when he hits the C chord. The guy is spent. It's got nothing to do with arthritis or a fall. it all those years of cooking his brain. It's damaged. You don't do 45 years of drug and alcohol abuse and think your brain can function like a normal persons. yes he can articulate and reason and socialize. that's a different part of your brain.
I've watched Keith make mistakes since 1977. Never seen a show where he didn't crash and burn somewhere all of this could be attributed to his legendary party life. What happened in SMU is more of a nervous error. He missed it the first show and psyched himself into screwing it up a second time. Stuff like this happens in every job, a different song should have opened the second night and everything would have been groovy. Am I making excuses for him, sure! Why not, it's really silly to try to pinpoint what makes Keith tick... As long as he's still ticking it's cool.

Posted by: Dutch guy ()
Date: July 18, 2013 10:33

Hi rockin guys.

Please to tell Dutch guy in what key the rockin stones play It’s Only Rock and Roll when they do live? All your talk about the Richards Start Me Up is all a mystery – does the guy forget the chord? Imposs after all these years for sure? But watch the jagg interaction with the Richards man during only rock and roll on July 13 – as he sing suicide on stage and cheatin’ heart – right in the Richards’ face making a point about the WRONG chord! Check it out. ROCKKKKKKKKKKKKK! BUT - don't worry Richards man - we still like your style!!! Enjoy the summer rockin with a cool drink! Tour is gone but we rock on! Dutch guy is rockin – we all must ROCK!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 18, 2013 11:05

duke richardson
this is so weird.

to even be wondering about this simple-ass intro and the way Keith plays it is such a strange tangent.

I mean, this isn't 'Night In Tunisia'..its the elemental simplicity, for emphatic rock effectiveness n that song, Start Me Up..

he can play it any way he wants to, its his music, but the audience only really understands it the conventional way.

Exactly. His riff, he plays it like he wants to.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: July 18, 2013 12:33

DoomandGloom wrote: "I've watched Keith make mistakes since 1977. Never seen a show where he didn't crash and burn somewhere all of this could be attributed to his legendary party life."

Well said. In addition, the "explanation" that Keith botched SMU intro once or twice because "his brain has been cooked" runs contrary some logical questions. Is it a particular brain's part that does "dictat" SMU intro, but not the intros of other 55 songs? And this particular brain's part have been destroyed, for some reason, just before the 25th of the 26 shows og this tour's leg? Come on, boys...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 18, 2013 13:40

Can't believe folks are still discussing this tired old subject as if there's some mysterious and sinister discovery to be made.

1. Keith is a sloppy guitar player on stage...always has been...whether stoned, drunk or straight.
[Not helped by all the posing, shape throwing and safari expeditions around huge modern era stages. Sometimes he's just hit the wrong fret because he's been jumping/spinning about or charging the front of the stage like some kind of lunatic goblin ! ]

2, He seems unwilling to pay any extra attention to his fingering of the certain chord positions which must be compromised on a narrow electric neck by the nodes on his first finger joints...

I think he's tried to focus better technically ..but it's not in his nature.
He's always been one to "wing it" and just gets carried away on the rush.

Keith is Keith is Keith ...and I think it's a bit late in the day to expect him to change.

I'm just thankful that he's still around and still more than able to hit a uniquely timed chord that raises every hair on your freakin body !

[edited for sloppy keyboard fingering ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-18 13:44 by Spud.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: July 18, 2013 15:21

Damn, nothing wrong with the intro riff. It's the first two chords of John Barry's main theme "Goldfinger", lyrics, albeit in a different key.. A pity (?) Keith also put his finger on the b string, fifth position, first fret. So instead of C-Caug (implied), Keith played C-Fmin/c or C-G#6/c if you wish.

A missed opportunity I would say, but wtf.
Keith, he's the man, the man with the Midas touch.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2148
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home