Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT (partly): Rank your favourite 60s psychedelic albums
Date: July 3, 2013 23:13

It is very hard, imo, as there are so many great albums - but I´ll give it a try:

1. The Village Green Preservation Society - The Kinks
2. Sgt. Pepper´s Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
3. The Notorious Byrd Brothers - The Byrds
4. Their Satanic Majesties´ Request - The Rolling Stones
5. Spare Parts - Status Quo
6. Piper At The Gates Of Dawn - Pink Floyd

Re: OT (partly): Rank your favourite 60s psychedelic albums
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 3, 2013 23:15

1. Are you Experienced - Hendrix

Date: July 3, 2013 23:21

I forgot that one, as it is a bit crossover genre-wise. Good choice! thumbs up

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: July 3, 2013 23:25

Satanic Majesties
Piper at the Gates of Dawn - Floyd
Muusic In a Dolls House - Family
SF Sorrow - Pretty Things
Electric Music for the Mind & Body - Country Joe & the Fish

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 3, 2013 23:25

Village Green, psychedelic? "God save Donald Duck, vaudeville and variety", psychedelic? Maybe Lazy Old Sun on Something Else had slight leanings in that direction, but Village Green is about as traditional and back to basics as UK bands were likely to get in 1968. In fact, it was so traditional it was regarded by musicians as passé upon its initial release.

My vote goes to Pink Floyd's Piper At The Gates Of Dawn--it's acid mind expansion and childhood regression all in the same mind-melting package.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 3, 2013 23:27

I don't think the VILLAGE GREEN PRESENTATION SOCIETY album is psychedelic in the slightest.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: July 3, 2013 23:28

Love - Forever Changes

Date: July 3, 2013 23:31

Just about every song has psychedelic elements in it. That should qualify?

Playing the song Village Green right now. It is indeed psychedelic smiling smiley

Also the vibe on the whole record is more psychedelia than the usual Kinks vaudeville stuff, imo. AND the instrumentation is as psychelia as it gets.

Not to mention the melody lines.

I know the liner notes in all the expanded editions say that it´s vaudeville/pop/very british. I just don´t agree with that.

Wicked Annabella anyone?? Walter? The title track?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-03 23:49 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: July 3, 2013 23:35

I think you forgot Smile and Surrealistic Pillow.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: July 3, 2013 23:36

Chas and Dave Trip the Light Ale.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 3, 2013 23:37

I always thought the Kinks were distinctly anti-psychedelia and that they didn't embrace the music or the drug-culture that embodied the scene. I know they preference for English bitter over cannabis. smileys with beer

Date: July 3, 2013 23:39

Big Al
I always thought the Kinks were distinctly anti-psychedelia and that they didn't embrace the music or the drug-culture that embodied the scene. I know they preference for English bitter over cannabis. smileys with beer

They did, but there is no doubt (Wicked Annabella playing here right now) that they were influenced by the contemporary music via Ray´s work with concept albums and the rock operas.

Date: July 3, 2013 23:40

bam
I think you forgot Smile and Surrealistic Pillow.

I haven´t heard SP, and I´m not that crazy about Smile.

Date: July 3, 2013 23:50

DandelionPowderman

Playing the song Village Green right now. It is indeed psychedelic smiling smiley

Also the vibe on the whole record is more psychedelia than the usual Kinks vaudeville stuff, imo. AND the instrumentation is as psychelia as it gets.

I know the liner notes in all the expanded editions say that it´s vaudeville/pop/very british. I just don´t agree with that.

Wicked Annabella anyone??

No Dandelion, the album isn't psychedelic. There is nothing psycedelic in the album's themes, or in its musical composition. That's partly why it sold so poorly at the time - it was out of step with much of what was happening more generally within popular music. It is only in retrospect that the album has earned its place as a true classic, in other words, when it was taken out of context of the period it was released. I agree, though, it is a great album, and arguably the Kinks best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-03 23:51 by Edward Twining.

Date: July 3, 2013 23:53

would you count THE WHO SELL OUT?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 3, 2013 23:54

Freak Out! - Mothers of Invention

Date: July 3, 2013 23:56

Edward Twining
DandelionPowderman

Wicked Annabella anyone??

No Dandelion, the album isn't psychedelic. There is nothing psycedelic in the album's themes, or in its musical composition. That's partly why it sold so poorly at the time - it was out of step with much of what was happening more generally within popular music. It is only in retrospect that the album has earned its place as a true classic, in other words, when it was taken out of context of the period it was released. I agree, though, it is a great album, and arguably the Kinks best.

For you, perhaps.

Remember, the album came out late in 1968, when the psychedelia wave had started to wane. The albums it competed against were Beggar´s Banquet and The White Album - the rock albums - that were in fashion again.

Now, tell me why Walter, Wicked Annabelle and the bridge in the otherwise reggae-flavoured Monica aren´t psychedelia.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: July 3, 2013 23:56

Koen

I think Zappa was too clean for psychedelic stuff, he had everything under control. Great stuff though.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: July 3, 2013 23:57

1. THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST (I am not certain if if is primarily psychedelic, though) (The Rolling Stones)

2) PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN (Pink Floyd)

3) RENAISSANCE (Vanilla Fudge)

4) REVOLVER (The Beatles) (because of John Lennon's four songs, being, according to my judgement, more authentically psychedelic than most music)

5) ANTHEM OF THE SUN or AOXOMOXOA (Grateful Dead)

6) AFTER BATHING AT BAXTER'S (Jefferson Airplane)

7) FIFTH DIMENSION and one song of YOUNGER THAN YESTERDAY (David Crosby's wonderful "Mind Gardens" ) (The Byrds).

By the way: The latter album's "C.T.A 102" might be the inspiration as song idea for "2000 Light Years From Home".

8) AXIS: BOLD AS LOVE and ELECTRIC LADYLAND are probably more psychedelic, I think, than ARE YOU EXPERIENCED (Jimi Hendrix)

Edit: Added
9) One album I have got from Donovan, of which I don't remember the title, has elements of some kind of psychedelia.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-04 00:06 by Witness.

Date: July 3, 2013 23:57

svt22
Koen

I think Zappa was too clean for psychedelic stuff, he had everything under control, Great stuff though.

You didn´t HAVE to be stoned to play it grinning smiley

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: July 3, 2013 23:59

DandelionPowderman
svt22
Koen

I think Zappa was too clean for psychedelic stuff, he had everything under control, Great stuff though.

You didn´t HAVE to be stoned to play it grinning smiley

I think it's even impossible to play it when you're stoned - at least Zappa wouldn't allow it.

Date: July 4, 2013 00:01

Zappa was great thumbs up

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 4, 2013 00:11

DandelionPowderman
Now, tell me why Walter, Wicked Annabelle and the bridge in the otherwise reggae-flavoured Monica aren´t psychedelia.

Here's why: Because in Ray's own words, "Really, I'm quite a traditionalist".

Here's an observation from someone (Jason Gross) online:

Other than the eye-popping cover and centerfold, Ray's only flirting with psychedelic music was a run-in with the cat from ALICE IN WONDERLAND and a "wicked witch" but these were more little kid's games than freaked-out turn-on's.

Full review of VGPS and other Kinks albums at: [www.furious.com]

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 4, 2013 00:15

1. Songs of Innocence - David Axelrod
2. Mass In B Minor - Electric Prunes
3. Forever Changes - Love
4. Satanic Majesties - Stones
5. Sunshine Superman - Donovan
6. Psychedelic Shack - The Temptations (It's Norman Whitfield produced psychedelic soul)

7. Magnet - The Wicker Man soundtrack
8. Nuggets 4 cd Rhino box set
9. David Bowie (Deram album) - quirky choice, but I like it.
10. Nuggets - Artyfacts from the British Empire 4cd
11. Ummagumma - Pink Floyd
12. Sgt Pepper - The Beatles
13. 5D - The Byrds
14. Buffalo Springfield Again
15. Ogdens Nut Gone Flake - The Small Faces
16. Oar - Skip Spence
17. Spirt - Fresh Garbage
18. Kinks - VGPS
19. Zombies - Odyssey & Oracle
20. Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
21. Prince - Around the World In A Day

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 4, 2013 00:17

Also throw in the curve-ball of Eric Burdon & The Animals Winds of Change. A radical move away from the boozy blues to the acid-inflected material, and predating the War raps of Eric Burdon Declares War.

Date: July 4, 2013 00:20

stonehearted
DandelionPowderman

Here's why: Because in Ray's own words, "Really, I'm quite a traditionalist".

Here's an observation from someone (Jason Gross) online:

Other than the eye-popping cover and centerfold, Ray's only flirting with psychedelic music was a run-in with the cat from ALICE IN WONDERLAND and a "wicked witch" but these were more little kid's games than freaked-out turn-on's.

Full review of VGPS and other Kinks albums at: [www.furious.com]

I know that, I´ve been listening to this album for a long time now - as well as reading everything I can come over about it.

But what happens when YOU listen to the music - for instance to Wicked Annabelle?

Date: July 4, 2013 00:21

I was referring more to the sex and drugs and rock 'n' roll culture in 68, instigated chiefly by the hippies, Dandelion, as opposed to the psychedelic summer of love in 1967, which again was very much the hippy counterculure reaction to what was going on around them. Either way, THE VILLAGE GREEN PRESERVATION SOCIETY, is too simplistic in its longing for old fashioned values, and its themes of nostalgia and loss of innocence, to be influenced overtly by psychedelia, certainly lyrically, and perhaps musically. It is interesting, what you have brought up, however, Dandelion, as to what the true relationship is between 60s music hall influenced pop and psychedelia, because both the Beatles SGT PEPPER and the Stones SATANIC MAJESTIES, contain strong elements of both. Is for example 'When I'm 64' and 'On With The Show' psychedelic? I would say not, despite standing alongside more psychedelically inspired tracks. In a sense, i do see your point. However, my definition of psychedelia has always been that it is music and/or lyrics that are drug influenced. 'Armenia City In The Sky' and 'I Can See For Miles' by the Who, i would say, definitely are, if also large portions of THE WHO SELL OUT are not. Also, is the Stones 'Ruby Tuesday' for example, psychedelic?

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 4, 2013 00:30

They couldn't record Beggars Banquet soon enough......

I don't consider Hendrix psychedelic...... he dabbled, but always came back to blues.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 4, 2013 00:31

Edward Twining
Also, is the Stones 'Ruby Tuesday' for example, psychedelic?

No, Ruby Tuesday belongs to that late '65 to early '67 period where everything was particularly English in composition and theme.

Date: July 4, 2013 00:32

Edward Twining
I was referring more to the sex and drugs and rock 'n' roll culture in 68, instigated chiefly by the hippies, Dandelion, as opposed to the psychedelic summer of love in 1967, which again was very much the hippy counterculure reaction to what was going on around them. Either way, THE VILLAGE GREEN PRESERVATION SOCIETY, is too simplistic in its longing for old fashioned values, and its themes of nostalgia and loss of innocence, to be influenced overtly by psychedelia, certainly lyrically, and perhaps musically. It is interesting, what you have brought up, however, Dandelion, as to what the true relationship is between 60s music hall influenced pop and psychedelia, because both the Beatles SGT PEPPER and the Stones SATANIC MAJESTIES, contain strong elements of both. Is for example 'When I'm 64' and 'On With The Show' psychedelic? I would say not, despite standing alongside more psychedelically inspired tracks. In a sense, i do see your point. However, my definition of psychedelia has always been that it is music and/or lyrics that are drug influenced. 'Armenia City In The Sky' and 'I Can See For Miles' by the Who, i would say, definitely are, if also large portions of THE WHO SELL OUT are not. Also, is the Stones 'Ruby Tuesday' for example, psychedelic?

Now we´re talking! I agree with just about everything you say here, Edward.

Only I think many of the songs and the MUSICAL vibe + the instrumentations on many of the songs (including the bonus tracks) are, if not heavily influenced, at least are flirting with psychedelic elements.

For the mix of music hall and psychedelia, or more precisely: the meeting points - Between The Buttons has a lot of those.

Rather than being psychedelic songs, they are more like on the brink of becoming psychedelic, if you get my drift. All Sold Out may be the predecessor of Citadel, for instance. Ruby Tuesday, as you mention, has elements from Brian that are borderline + the transcending mood - but isn´t quite there yet.

So if we´re discussing on the musical level only, I think that there is lot to be found in Village Green that belongs in the psychedelic category - in spite of the weird timing for the album (I know it was held back...).

Just some thoughts.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2034
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home