Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Lies...(the song, that is)...
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 1, 2005 09:52

Anyones else out there love this song besides me?
Lots of people think I'm nuts for liking this one.
I always liked the upbeat, punky songs from this period:
Lies, Whip, Respectable, Summer Romance (especially this one), Where the Boys Go, etc...
Lots of people hate these, but I've always loved them.
Any reason why some of you detest these?
Lots of people think if they don't do something like
Moonlight Mile or CYHMK on every track, they're treading water.
Thoughts and words, as the Byrds say...

Re: Lies...(the song, that is)...
Date: April 1, 2005 10:08

Lies is a great song for sure. Hot guitars and superb vocals!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 1, 2005 10:50

Love it.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 1, 2005 12:04

My least favorite song on Some Girls.
I rarely play it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 1, 2005 12:32

On any other Stones album from about the mid 70's on, it would have been one of the better songs

On "Some Girls" it suffers by comparison with the other 9 gems that make up what is a superb album.

In other words, while it's very good - the rest of the songs on SG are great.

I like the punky style songs from the era too - especially "where the boys go"

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: April 1, 2005 12:55

Are you guys really serious?

It's the only filler in otherwise great album. I think the tempo and lyrics sound nothing but the guys desperately trying to imitate punk, and with no success. Sorry.

Anyway, taste is subjective, they say...

- Doxa

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: April 1, 2005 13:15

Love it. Always play it as loud as I can.

edward

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: April 1, 2005 15:19

Rorty Wrote:
I think the tempo and lyrics sound nothing but the
> guys desperately trying to imitate punk, and with
> no success. Sorry.
>

It is somewhat of a punk imitation, agreed, but as Mick once said "nobody can out-punk Keith". I mean they were really the original "punk" band.

Lies does have a kind of odd rhythm. One of you musically-inclined guys could probably name the time signature. Seemed like the song never came-off too well live as they had some trouble replicating the beat (IMHO).

Great song though, "why why why, why don't you go to hell"

Karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: April 1, 2005 15:58

"Lies does have a kind of odd rhythm."

That's right; that's also the other peculiar thing about the song... I think the point was that Mick was ordering "FAST FAST FAST!!", his other ear in Never Mind The Bollocks, and the poor rhythm section was trying to do the best. I don't know. Somehow the famous "swing" and "rolling" machinery of Charlie, Bill and Keith don't seem to find the right straightforward "rock" speed at all. The Stones rhythm-framework is so much richer and funky-oriented (with all that delicate taste of timing and understanding the effects of leaving space) than the ones the ones they try to imitate. Maybe the weakest park is the master himself, Charlie Watts, who seems to be too sophisticated player after all, to commit himself to the mood needed. The actual result is a strange combination of naturally swinging rhythm section being forced to follow a tempo too simple and clearly unfitting: to me it sounds that Charlie has even difficulties to follow the beat.

There are other songs in the album where they seem to get the thing right, though.

- Doxa

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 1, 2005 16:27

Usually I don't believe in flat out statements like "This is the worst or best song..."but on SG I do think this is the weakest tune. While it's a grwat song on it's own, in context on this particular album it pales by comparison.Even thwe other flatout rockers in A/D like Whip, Respectable blow Lies away IMO

Date: April 1, 2005 17:05

There are no weak songs on Some Girls. Every song is great - my favourite album.

And about Lies - this is a hard rocking song with great guitars AND drums. This music style accept some flaws etc. Micks's singing is perfect (in 1978 it must have been above perfect!).

I think the song is up there with the others. Live, Mick seemed to forget the words (NJ, Texas, Chicago, Washington) and Keith the licks. Ron played well.

I tried to measure it with the other songs on SG (tough), but my conclusion is that every song is great!

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: April 1, 2005 17:22

I think Lies is a pretty good song, people are right it could be the weakest song on the album but to me Some Girls is one of their best records so that does not mean the song is a filler or anything. I don't mind the Stones trying punk but I find Where the Boys Go to be an embarassment. Every time I have played this song for friends they would comment that it is the worst thing they ever heard.

Date: April 1, 2005 17:41

"it could be the weakest song on the album"

Seems to be the opinion of several people here. What about When the Whip Comes Down? Is it not imitation punk? Is it better than Lies? I'm just curious.

Karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: April 1, 2005 17:45

BowieStone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My least favorite song on Some Girls.
> I rarely play it.
>
> - BowieStone

EXACTLY !

Esky

I respect women who can suck golf balls through a garden hose....

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: April 1, 2005 18:42

Karl, When the Whip Comes Down is actually one of my favorite songs on the album, especially the way they played it in live in 78, 81 and 82. The guitars are just awesome.

Date: April 1, 2005 19:01

Agree about the live versions. I love the Memphis 78 Whip, Hampton 81, and even the Live Licks-MSG version is passable. On SG though, I just think Lies is a much hotter tune. To each his own!

Karl

Date: April 4, 2005 20:50

<When the Whip Comes Down is actually one of my favorite songs on the album, especially the way they played it in live in 78, 81 and 82. The guitars are just awesome.>

Actually, the 78 version is rawer and more structured than that of the 81/82 versions. Something with the rhythm and sound made it tighter. Maybe Keith's eight's (notes) didn't fit too well in 81?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1758
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home