Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Songs about Brian
Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: June 27, 2013 21:23

Hi Gang - next week my radio show falls on 7/3/13 and i was thinking of doing one hour in tribute to Brian in addition to my regular stuff...playing songs written about him...or perceived to be about him...

off the top of my head "Shine A Light" comes to mind...as does "Rumour Sets The Woods Alight" by The Records (1980)...but it is college radio and i can't be too contemporary...any sugestions would be appreciated..

thanks!!

CBT

Re: Songs about Brian
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: June 27, 2013 21:29

Well, not about Brian but some believed (including Brian himself) that Like A Rolling Stone and Ballad of a Thin Man were about him...

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 27, 2013 21:40

[www.45cat.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: ssprings ()
Date: June 27, 2013 21:47

I would throw in "Blue turns to grey". THough not written about him, in retrospect it seems appropriate - plus I believe it was played at Hyde Park after his death.

...Misbred Grey Executive...

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: June 27, 2013 21:48

I have the Hyde Park boot and do not recall Blue Turns To Grey played at that gig. Down Home Girl was...

In fact I would bet Blue has never been performed live.

Date: June 27, 2013 21:56

I'm sure you are right about that. I don't know what made me think it was played there.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 27, 2013 22:05

In 25x5, Blue Turns to Grey is played over the footage from Brian's funeral,
and it does seem very fitting indeed. Maybe that's where you got the association, ssprings?

Coming Down Again includes an apparent reference to Brian,
and I've always thought Take It or Leave It is from Brian's point of view.
Brian also apparently used to feel The Last Time was being pointedly directed at him,
at least in some performances.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-27 22:22 by with sssoul.

Posted by: mpmternst ()
Date: June 27, 2013 22:18

You could try this one: [www.songfacts.com]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 27, 2013 22:20

ssprings
I would throw in "Blue turns to grey". THough not written about him, in retrospect it seems appropriate - plus I believe it was played at Hyde Park after his death.

It wasnt. Its used as background music for the funeral footage in the 25 x 5 movie.

Date: June 27, 2013 22:26

I knew that I remembered it from somewhere. Thanks for the clarification

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 27, 2013 22:36

Shine a light, I've read an interview with Mick talking about Brian's Berber jewellery and drooling over girls "making blood shot eyes at every woman that you meet"

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: June 27, 2013 22:49

I don't know of any song about Brian, but I think that the Stones played "I'm Free" at Hyde Park and throughout the 69 US tour in memory of Brain. And I'm sure that most people in the audience thought of Brian when they played this song during that year.

Date: June 27, 2013 23:00

Posted by: aumatl ()
Date: June 27, 2013 23:23

Can't Be Seen is about Keith's stealing Anita from Brian.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 27, 2013 23:43

aumatl
Can't Be Seen is about Keith's stealing Anita from Brian.

Smile: Sure, and about 20 squillion incidents of romance with a married lady.
(And sorry to break it to you, but Anita made up her own mind. Still does, I reckon.)

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: June 27, 2013 23:52

Whats your station and when are you on ? any chance you stream on the internet ? would like to tune in if you do--

don't forget to use some of Brians better moments: No Expectations, 2000 Light Years, Ruby Tuesday, Little Red Rooster.

Good luck with your show

Posted by: mpmternst ()
Date: June 27, 2013 23:54

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 28, 2013 04:08

I'm sure the "put my tongue in someone else's pie...he turned green and tried to make me cry" line in Coming Down Again was about Brian.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 28, 2013 04:24

Theirs a reference to Brian in the Animal's Monterey.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 28, 2013 07:20

Isn't Stewed and Keefed also known as Brian's Blues?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 28, 2013 07:22

Did that song Pete Townshend wrote about Brian ever make it to the demo stage and then to bootlegs? I think they lyrics did.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 28, 2013 07:43

"I was melodramatically upset when he died. He was the first friend of mine that had ever died. He was the first person I knew well in my business that died. It seemed to me to be a portent and thus it proved to be. I wrote a really crap song for him, Normal Day For Brian. He deserved better and one day he will get it."

--Pete Townshend, 1999, MOJO

A NORMAL DAY FOR BRIAN~~~BY PETE TOWNSHEND

I used to play my guitar as a kid
Wishing that I could be like him
But today I changed my mind
I decided that I don't want to die
But it was a normal day for Brian
Rock and Roll's that way
It was a normal day for Brian
A man who died every day.

More poetry and songs for Brian at: [www.angelfire.com]

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 28, 2013 08:31

ok, this is incredibly random --

The cheesy movie "Times Square," which I saw as a kid in 1980, featured a song by a "punk" band, called
"Your Daughter Is One."

At the end of the song (minute 2:12 here), the lead singer says "This one's for Brian Jones and all the
other dinosaurs that got kicked out the band.
"

Just found the clip on youtube -- haven't seen it since 1980 -- at the time I owned the soundtrack. Aside from
this silly fake punk song it had its new wave soundtrack was fantastic.
video: [www.youtube.com]

PS -- why the flake is my youtube video not posting?? is there a new way to do this?

- swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-28 08:35 by swiss.

Date: June 28, 2013 10:05

swiss

The cheesy movie "Times Square," which I saw as a kid in 1980, featured a song by a "punk" band, called
"Your Daughter Is One."

At the end of the song (minute 2:12 here), the lead singer says "This one's for Brian Jones and all the
"

Just found the clip on youtube -- haven't seen it since 1980 -- at the time I owned the soundtrack. Aside from

PS -- why the flake is my youtube video not posting?? is there a new way to do this?

- swiss

Are you just typing out the URL? What I do is a direct copy and paste over the video frame (the "copy video URL" function), so that the http:// appears in the URL when you paste it into your post.

You can also copy the link by dragging to select the address in the URL box and do a direct copy and paste that way. In either case, the http:// will appear, and so will the video frame.

By the way, I believe it was this movie I was thinking of just the other day. I was recalling the UK film Breaking Glass, also from 1980, about the rise of a punk band through the UK new wave scene, and I recall that there was a New York equivalent from that same year. Doesn't one of the girls stand in front of a mirror windmilling power chords on the guitar at one point? And aren't The Stones also mentioned in one scene, when one of the girls mentions The Stones and the other replies, "Why would a Rolling Stone come down here? They got a million bucks." I was trying to recall the title of the movie and this just may it. I'll have to watch the whole thing now to see if this is the one I remember when it ran on cable some 30 plus years ago.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-28 11:08 by stonehearted.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 28, 2013 10:07

Horses and High Heel's album by Marianne Faithfull; "Eternity"

"Prussian Blue" has a mid-'60s Dylanesque jangle, while "Eternity" claims a similar folk-rock resonance, as well as something both clever and self-referential: a sample from old friend Brian Jones' seminal Moroccan recordings of 1968.

"Eternity" Marianne Faithfull;

This song called "Eternity" is in the last album by Marianne Faithfull, “Horses and High Heels" which features appearances of Lou Reed, Dr. John and Wayne Kramer. This special song includes recordings of the Pan Pipes At Joujouka.

Interview by Kary Grow (The Village Voice)

"Why did you decide to do use recordings of Brian Jones’ Pan Pipes at Joujouka on “Eternity"?

That was [producer] Hal [Willner]’s idea. At first I wasn’t sure, because it’s not in the same key. But then I listened to a lot and decided it worked. And also, I decided that Brian Jones’ presence on my record is a good thing.

Do you remember when he was recording the music in Joujouka, Morocco, specifically?

Yes, I thought it was great. I love it. I’m sorry that so many people have never heard it. Rather than make all these dreadful records they do now, they should just learn something first [from that]. It’s a brilliant thing.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-28 10:32 by runaway.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 28, 2013 10:22

stonehearted
swiss

"Your Daughter Is One."

"

- swiss

Are you just typing out the URL? What I do is a direct copy and paste over the video frame (the "copy video URL" function), so that the http:// appears in the URL when you paste it into your post.

You can also copy the link by dragging to select the address in the URL box and do a direct copy and paste that way. In either case, the http:// will appear, and so will the video frame.

By the way, I believe it was this movie I was thinking of just the other day. I was recalling the UK film Breaking Glass, also from 1980, about the rise of a punk band through the UK new wave scene, and I recall that there was a New York equivalent from that same year. Doesn't one of the girls stand in front of a mirror windmilling power chords on the guitar at one point? And aren't The Stones also mentioned in one scene, when one of the girls mentions The Stones and the other replies, "Why would a Rolling Stone come down here? They got a million bucks." I was trying to recall the title of the movie and this just may it. I'll have to watch the whole thing now to see if this is the one I remember when it ran on cable some 30 plus years ago.

Thanks, runaway! first: video posting - that's what I did and have done for almost 5 years here, and yet tonight it isn't working. second: yes, I believe that's the same fil, It's 2 girls - one wealthy, naive, and stuck-up at first, and one streetwise, homeless, and tough, with a heart of gold and a guitar - the rich girl runs away from home and meets up with the street urchin in Times Square and eventually they start a "punk" band - Tim Curry is in it, and I remember very little else except maybe the homeless chick lived down by the river in a series of boxes or something. That flick turned me onto Susie Quarto, Joe Jackson, and the Cure, and others I can't remember now smiling smiley

- swiss

Date: June 28, 2013 10:26

swiss
stonehearted
swiss

"Your Daughter Is One."

"

- swiss

Thanks, runaway! first: video posting - that's what I did and have done for almost 5 years here, and yet tonight it isn't working. second: yes, I believe that's the same fil, It's 2 girls - one wealthy, naive, and stuck-up at first, and one streetwise, homeless, and tough, with a heart of gold and a guitar - the rich girl runs away from home and meets up with the street urchin in Times Square and eventually they start a "punk" band - Tim Curry is in it, and I remember very little else except maybe the homeless chick lived down by the river in a series of boxes or something. That flick turned me onto Susie Quarto, Joe Jackson, and the Cure, and others I can't remember now smiling smiley

- swiss

Here's a link to a YouTube page devoted to the Times Square soundtrack:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 28, 2013 11:20

Born in 1938
A good year for the Reich.
She could not participate
She didn't have the right.
For she was fatherless in the Fatherland.

Now it's 1966
Andrew's up to all his tricks.
And when Brian Jones is near
Nico doesn't feel so queer;
She's in the shit, though she's innocent —

Yesterday is gone,
There's just today — No tomorrow.
Yesterday is gone,
There's just today — No more ...

Now it's Andy Warhol's time
Mystic 60's on a dime.
Though she kinda likes Lou Reed —
She doesn't really have the need.
Already in the shit, though she's innocent.

And now she doesn't know
What it is she wants
And where she wants to go
And will Delon be still a @#$%&.
Yes, she's in the shit, though she is innocent.

Yesterday is gone
There's just today
No tomorrow.
Yesterday is gone
There's just today
No more.

Yesterday is gone
There's just today
No tomorrow.
Yesterday is gone
There's just today
No more.

Da da da da da
Da da da da da
Da da da da da.
Da da da da da
Da da da da
Da da.

Da da da da da
Da da da da da
Da da da da da.
Da da da da da
Da da da da da
Da da.

Marianne Faithfull " A Song For Nico"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-28 11:22 by runaway.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 28, 2013 11:30

Dylan's "Blonde on blonde", the title of the LP is Brian and Anita.

Date: June 28, 2013 11:31

Well, not a song, but Jim Morrison wrote a poem for Brian:

Jim Morrison – “Ode to L.A. While Thinking of Brian Jones, Deceased”

I’m a resident of a city
They’ve just picked me to play
The Prince of Denmark

Poor Ophelia

All those ghosts he never saw
Floating to doom
On an iron candle

Come back, brave warrior
Do the dive
On another channel

Hot buttered pool
Where’s Marrakech
Under the falls
the wild storm
where savages fell out
in late afternoon
monsters of rhythm

You’ve left your
Nothing
to complete w/
Silence

I hope you went out Smiling
Like a child
Into the cool remnant
of a dream

The angel man
w/ Serpents competing
for his palms
& fingers
Finally claimed
This benevolent
Soul

Ophelia

Leaves, sodden
in silk

Chlorine
dream
mad stifled
Witness

The diving board, the plunge
The pool

You were the bleached
Sun
for TV afternoon

horned-toads
maverick of a yellow spot

Look now to where it’s got
You

in meat heaven
w/ the cannibals
& Jews

The gardener
Found
The body, rampant, Floating

Lucky Stiff
What is this green pale stuff
You’re made of

Poke holes in the goddess
Skin

Will he Stink
Carried heavenward
Thru the halls of music

No chance.

Requiem for a heavy
That smile
That porky satyr’s
leer
has leaped upward

into the loam

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1921
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home