Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What does everyone think of at the max
Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: June 26, 2013 17:05

Well i watched it this morning it's better that i remember. The imax is great super clear video quality but it's only 15 songs and its kind of a butchered version of the urban jungle tour.But it's still good regardless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-26 17:09 by Godxofxrock9.

Re: What does everyone think of at the max
Date: June 26, 2013 17:07

It's good, but the sound is VERY dry, imo.

It was cool watching it on the IMAX-theater back in the day, though.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 26, 2013 17:25

It was great when I went to Paris in 1992 to see it in an IMAX screen.

Releasing it as a home video made no real sense though. The way that its filmed means it looks pretty crappy on a TV or video/DVD by comparison.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 26, 2013 17:32

I think it's terrific. It was my introduction to the 'modern-era' Rolling Stones. I certainly had no idea that Keith could play with such ferocity. His soloing on Happy and Sympathy For The Devil are beyond impressive.

Date: June 26, 2013 17:39

Big Al
I think it's terrific. It was my introduction to the 'modern-era' Rolling Stones. I certainly had no idea that Keith could play with such ferocity. His soloing on Happy and Sympathy For The Devil are beyond impressive.
I would have to agree Keith's soloing is fantastic

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 26, 2013 19:37

The edit really sucks. It's the Atlantic city show isn't it? Am I the only one to see irony in the "Vegas" Stones first video done in Atlantic city?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 26, 2013 19:39

It was great seeing it on IMAX cinema. Saw it 3 times in Oslo in 1998
Bet it's a disappointment seeing it on VHS or DVD.....just like it's a disappointment listening to "Flashpoint"....when Sympathy For The Devil DID sound great when hearing it live in 1990

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 26, 2013 19:40

Thrylan
The edit really sucks. It's the Atlantic city show isn't it? Am I the only one to see irony in the "Vegas" Stones first video done in Atlantic city?

Your irony is lost. "At The Max" was recorded in Turin, London and Berlin 1990

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 26, 2013 19:47

Erik_Snow
Thrylan

Your irony is lost. "At The Max" was recorded in Turin, London and Berlin 1990

Wasn't sure. Saw it was hacked to 15 songs when it came out, and ignored it. I have a VHS copy of the PPV from A.C., it has ALL the songs.........but the Atlantic city thing is funny.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 26, 2013 19:59

I'm sure the Bluray looks pretty damned good on a big flatscreen.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 26, 2013 20:05

Some of the camera shots annoy me, Guitars changing mid song etc.

The Barcelona 90 TV Broadcast is my go-to Urban Jungle DVD.

Date: June 26, 2013 20:11

jamesfdouglas
is does on my 51 inch tv

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 26, 2013 21:02

The cinematography is the best thing about it. Holding a shot for 10-20 seconds is COMPLETELY unheard of these days. I loved the fact that these long follows and great giant wide shots and dolly shots just seemed to go on forever. Really lets you sink into it at the Imax.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: June 26, 2013 21:19

Gazza
It was great when I went to Paris in 1992 to see it in an IMAX screen.

Me too! I still enjoy it though.

Date: June 26, 2013 21:27

flacnvinyl
The cinematography is the best thing about it. Holding a shot for 10-20 seconds is COMPLETELY unheard of these days. I loved the fact that these long follows and great giant wide shots and dolly shots just seemed to go on forever. Really lets you sink into it at the Imax.

Good point. Put far more eloquently and with greater observation than I could have managed..lol

Date: June 26, 2013 21:36

From what I recall, a lot of the close ups were done in a film studio- as post production. The IMAX cameras at that time were absolutely huge! Very, very cumbersome, as well as having very short film rolls (10-12 mins?) Tech issues would have almost demanded long takes, and any f-up's by the band would be super sized for all to see. The whole project must have cost a fortune (which I also recall the IMAX corp. paying most of as a way to break out of their 'nature doc' niche of that time.) It looked and sounded great at the IMAX theater in NYC's Museum of Natural History to me when it was first released. You can kinda see how far IMAX's popularity has come from where I just said I saw it way back then. Have the DVD (as well as a well worn VHS even,) but wasn't aware it has ever come out on Blu-Ray. I'm sure it must look great.
But as a true 'concert film,' I'd take it w/a grain of salt. I personally think the 'Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle' tours were too cold & tech driven. Not that any tours since haven't been, but they hide it better.

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: June 27, 2013 00:25

FirstTimeSeattle81
From what I recall, a lot of the close ups were done in a film studio- as post production.

I think they were shot in Turin with no audience present. I don't think they actually shot anything in a studio.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 27, 2013 00:27

Yes considerable over dubbing done, particularly on guitar solos IIRC. But whatever.

Date: June 27, 2013 00:29

lamemodem2
FirstTimeSeattle81
From what I recall, a lot of the close ups were done in a film studio- as post production.

I think they were shot in Turin with no audience present. I don't think they actually shot anything in a studio.

I defer to your knowledge on this matter.

Date: June 27, 2013 00:36

lamemodem2
FirstTimeSeattle81

There was footage shot in the empty Wembley Stadium too, in the run up to the shows there that ended the tour. The band had no shows between 18th and 24th August.

Not sure if it ended up being used in the movie or not but I seem to recall that some of the behind the scenes footage which was shown on an ABC 'In Concert' special around the time of its release being shot at Wembley.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 27, 2013 00:37

It's overdone. Fakish. No real live feeling to it. A lip-synched cut and paste job. Such a waste of modern technology.

Date: June 27, 2013 01:08

Gazza
lamemodem2
FirstTimeSeattle81

There was footage shot in the empty Wembley Stadium too, in the run up to the shows there that ended the tour. The band had no shows between 18th and 24th August.

Not sure if it ended up being used in the movie or not but I seem to recall that some of the behind the scenes footage which was shown on an ABC 'In Concert' special around the time of its release being shot at Wembley.

Is this not Wembley?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: June 27, 2013 02:09

jamesfdouglas
ive seen it projected onto my 133" screen, video quality is ok, not great,

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: June 27, 2013 03:53

Mick Jagger's haircut ruins it for me. smiling smiley

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: June 27, 2013 04:54

Gazza

Gazza is correct.
They shot footage of Mick miming (dancing/moving) to "2000 Light Years" and Keith doing "Happy".....Wembley, empty stadium, late at night, with the music pumped through the PA. I was there on the stage and watched it happen.
I remember watching them spray Keith's red shirt with a water bottle to match the sweat on his shirt from the original live footage. To this day, when I watch "At The Max" I look for it and I see it.
A couple additional anecdotes:
Keith was drinking Rebel Yell that night....out of the 1.75L I brought over for him from Kentucky.
Steve Jordan was hanging around.
We were all playing snooker and Keith put his Electric Ladyland CD on his boom box and played Voodoo Chile (long version) very loudly. A night to remember, I'll never forget it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 27, 2013 05:13

.....way cooooooooool... nice story

ROCKMAN

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 27, 2013 05:13

Saw it in the Bradford IMAX in 1992............there was a half time break after Happy, the girl I was with said, "I'm glad there was a break, that guitar playing was making me cum"......
Nothing quite like having Keith Richards do your foreplay for you..................smoking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 27, 2013 05:17

Watch my tail lights fadin' .....there ain't a dry seat in the house...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: June 27, 2013 07:25

> It's the Atlantic city show isn't it?

Not at all. How could a live cable broadcast be shot in IMAX format (which uses a very large film stock)?

Date: June 27, 2013 20:39

Slick
jamesfdouglas
ive seen it projected onto my 133" screen, video quality is ok, not great,

The bluray, not the DVD, correct?

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2744
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home