Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: The mid-point of the recording career of The Rolling Stones ...
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 28, 2013 14:01

His Majesty
Decembers Children a proper studio album? L to the O to the L. grinning smiley

That's how it's ranked. Like it or not. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 28, 2013 14:07

Blueranger
His Majesty
Decembers Children a proper studio album? L to the O to the L. grinning smiley

That's how it's ranked. Like it or not. tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-28 14:15 by His Majesty.

Date: June 28, 2013 14:33

December's Children is a US compilation, with a couple of live numbers thrown in - how can it be ranked a US studio album (as it indeed is...)? confused smiley

"Drawn largely from two days of sessions recorded in September to finish the British edition of Out of Our Heads and to record their new single—"Get Off Of My Cloud"—December's Children (And Everybody's) also included tracks recorded as early as 1963".

- Bassist Bill Wyman quotes Jagger in 1968 calling the record "not an album, it's just a collection of songs."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-28 14:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 28, 2013 15:51

DandelionPowderman
December's Children is a US compilation, with a couple of live numbers thrown in - how can it be ranked a US studio album (as it indeed is...)? confused smiley

"Drawn largely from two days of sessions recorded in September to finish the British edition of Out of Our Heads and to record their new single—"Get Off Of My Cloud"—December's Children (And Everybody's) also included tracks recorded as early as 1963".

- Bassist Bill Wyman quotes Jagger in 1968 calling the record "not an album, it's just a collection of songs."

Because it contains newly recorded material. A comp. like Flowers doesn't.
It's no different than the UK "Out Of Our Heads" which has songs like Heart Of Stone, released a whole year earlier in the US.

Date: June 28, 2013 15:53

Blueranger
DandelionPowderman

Because it contains newly recorded material. A comp. like Flowers doesn't.
It's no different than the UK "Out Of Our Heads" which has songs like Heart Of Stone, released a whole year earlier in the US.

That's ONE song smiling smiley

Date: June 28, 2013 16:21

My point is that all early Stones albums, be it UK or US are a hodge podge of different sessions. All of them were put together by Andrew and The Stones.

Date: June 28, 2013 16:47

Blueranger
My point is that all early Stones albums, be it UK or US are a hodge podge of different sessions. All of them were put together by Andrew and The Stones.

Excluding the debut, the hodge podge aspect is far more extreme on those few US albums up to Aftermath. Despite what ALO said I doubt the stones were all that involved, if at all, in the track choice of those albums.

Things do become more in sync by Aftermath, but Flowers kind messes that up.

The 60's UK albums, EP's and singles are the more logical and chronological representation of the ongoing development of their music. cool smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-28 16:56 by His Majesty.

Date: June 29, 2013 01:02

His Majesty
Blueranger

Excluding the debut, the hodge podge aspect is far more extreme on those few US albums up to Aftermath. Despite what ALO said I doubt the stones were all that involved, if at all, in the track choice of those albums.

The 60's UK albums, EP's and singles are the more logical and chronological representation of the ongoing development of their music. cool smiley

What is the difference between 12x5, No. 2 and Now! ? Or between the two editions of Out Of Our Heads? All of them are material recorded at various sessions in England or the States. The US version of the latter was even released ahead of the UK version. I can't see any difference between all of those records. Maybe people just prefer the records they are used to, because they grew up with those configurations. I don't know. I'm too young to know...spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 29, 2013 01:38

His Majesty
Blueranger

No doubt about it
Note the Beatles (who had a similar hodge podge) reverted to their uk titles and those are the ones people discuss these days.

Date: June 29, 2013 04:29

jamesfdouglas
I don't see it like this at all. I see "midpoint" being just that... 25 years after Come On, so, 1988. After all, it's halfway through their career as "recording artists", right?

So first half of their recording career - 20 studio albums.
The second of of their recording career - 4 studio albums.

Plain and simple.

Embarrassing, isn't it. This proves they haven't been interested in being artists for a long long time. It's all about the show with these guys. Maybe it always was when you consider they had to be forced to write in the first place?

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: June 29, 2013 04:57

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 17:36 by camper88.

Date: June 29, 2013 05:00

camper88
So we've got estimates on the half way point on
Albums,
Songs,
Concerts,
Relationships,

Any guess as to the half way point on earnings?

My guess is that they've made over half their money after 1994.

i agree, assuming you're counting money going into their pockets.
allen klein kind of threw things off a bit

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 29, 2013 05:00

camper88
So we've got estimates on the half way point on
Albums,
Songs,
Concerts,
Relationships,

Any guess as to the half way point on earnings?

My guess is that they've made over half their money after 1994.

At least.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: June 29, 2013 05:11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 17:36 by camper88.

Posted by: thabo ()
Date: July 2, 2013 00:24

His Majesty
Brian probably played the Bo Diddley-esque guitar on Please Come Home on Between The Buttons.

Of course, he played guitar during 1967 European tour.

There's some pretty bad guitar playing by Brian for a few takes of The Lantern on the Satanic Sessions box sets. Here it is... Brian on acoustic guitar.

At some point he moved on to playing Hammond organ isntead, and, well, he plays that just as badly. Must have been monged. grinning smiley

There's his scrappy, but authentic sounding slide guitar playing on Still A Fool.

Regarding Beggars Banquet...

Brian also contributed tamboura on Street Fighting Man.

The mellotron on Stray Cat Blues comes in during the first "Oh Yeah!" section on the right speaker. Brian initially loosley follows Keith's rhythm during that part, but during verses jarring chords are laid down which get faded in and out. He used the same mixed brass sound as on We Love You.

I ought to have a real close listen and do a little demonstration. What is audible during the pre breakdown section is pretty wonky compared to the basic B chord vamping later. grinning smiley

I know I'm drifting away from the subject, but I think Brain's guitar playing is fine. The Hammond playing is very fitting, but is meant as a subtle flavouring and way to loud in this mix. Still a Fool is just great. I do not know how to explain this, Brain was not technically good BUT he brought in the music of the Stones a soul, another tune, almost trance like if you try to feel what tune he heard in his head and tried to add. No one of the other Stones had that same and unique quality that Brain possessed.

I just wanna to say that.

Date: July 2, 2013 00:38

It sounds like he isn't fretting properly or picking strong enough a lot of the time. Very early takes and all, but the quality of the acoustic guitar sound and playing is upped once Keith takes over.

Date: July 2, 2013 10:19

There were *seven* studio albums before Let It Bleed.

The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones No. 2
Out Of Our Heads
Aftermath
Between The Buttons
Their Satanic Majesties Request
Beggars Banquet

U.S. albums don't count--The Stones didn't choose those running orders, cover artwork or album titles and there's plenty of overlap with their British counterparts anyway.

Date: July 2, 2013 10:29

CanYouHearTheMusic
There were *seven* studio albums before Let It Bleed.

The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones No. 2
Out Of Our Heads
Aftermath
Between The Buttons
Their Satanic Majesties Request
Beggars Banquet

U.S. albums don't count--The Stones didn't choose those running orders, cover artwork or album titles and there's plenty of overlap with their British counterparts anyway.

can we also agree that albums post tatoo you don't count either?

(i agree with you, just couldn't resist being a wise guy)

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1442
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home