Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Track Talk: No Use In Crying
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 5, 2014 13:54

DandelionPowderman
It's not a 12 bar blues, but it surely is a classic blues in every other sense - by instrumentation (rhythm and harp), the feel as well as the guitar playing.

Stones music is always bluesy. When they make country, soul, rock and roll, even disco (Emotional Rescue) you can always hear the bluesy attitude, style. That's because they are fundamentally a blues band who play various kind of music but always with a bluesy touch IMO And that's their magical unique sound that we call The Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-05 13:57 by 1962.

Date: June 5, 2014 14:05

DandelionPowderman
It's not a 12 bar blues, but it surely is a classic blues in every other sense - by instrumentation (rhythm and harp), the feel as well as the guitar playing.

Stones music is always bluesy. When they make country, soul, rock and roll, even disco (Emotional Rescue) you can always hear the bluesy attitude, style. That's because they are fundamentally a blues band who play various kind of music but always with a bluesy touch IMO And that's their magical unique sound that we call The Rolling Stones.

It's been a while since I stated this - which song did I have in mind? grinning smiley

EDIT: Found it! We were (for some reason) discussing Down In The Hole. It still sounds like a blues songs to me, btw smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-05 14:10 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 5, 2014 14:13

Fine bluesy atmosphere without being a classical blues take - whatever "classic" in this respect may be. Only I have some troubles with the falsetto voice that I don't like at all. Otherwise a great song.

Date: June 5, 2014 14:18

RobertJohnson
Fine bluesy atmosphere without being a classical blues take - whatever "classic" in this respect may be. Only I have some troubles with the falsetto voice that I don't like at all. Otherwise a great song.

The whole debate in this thread, about what's pure or classical blues or not, was about Down In The Hole.

No Use In Crying sounds more like a soul tune to me, albeit with some blue-flavoured stuff smiling smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: June 5, 2014 14:59

"Standing in the kitchen, looking way out across the fields..."

Such a great line.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 5, 2014 17:47

How anyone can think that Hang Fire and Neighbours are filler is beyond me. Every track on this album is a 10.

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: June 5, 2014 18:05

gimmelittledrink
Tops is the weak link, if there is one. And Exile wouldn't be Exile without Turd.

TOPS is the Tops. Fantastic. Great guitar

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: June 5, 2014 18:13

With better lyrics, it might be as good as the other songs.

Date: June 5, 2014 18:46

michaelsavage
gimmelittledrink
Tops is the weak link, if there is one. And Exile wouldn't be Exile without Turd.

TOPS is the Tops. Fantastic. Great guitarS

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: June 5, 2014 18:51

Nicky or Stu play the piano? If it's Stu, it's a proof of the stupid nonsense sentences like "Stu did not play minor chords" doesn't match with reality at all.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-05 18:53 by dandelion1967.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: June 5, 2014 18:54

The best song on TY, and the most heartbeaking.
And when his voice breaks, I swear he's singing...'I love you...'
Its like he's left, and and is telling her he's never cominb back - but his delivery reveals him: he's still in love, but can't deal with the hurting, the fighting, the games etc...
Great song, one of Jagger's greatest performances and lyrics.

Date: June 5, 2014 19:03

This is a very underrated song. I think that it would work well live.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: June 5, 2014 19:23

Loved this song the first time I heard it and just as much today.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 5, 2014 19:27

GasLightStreet
How anyone can think that Hang Fire and Neighbours are filler is beyond me. Every track on this album is a 10.

Way back in '81, when I got this LP, I used to play Start Me Up, and then flip it over to side 2 immediately, for the first 4 songs. AT the time I thought it was one side of great material. In time I grew to like Hang Fire, and Little T&A. Some of it was bad production on side 1. I've never cared the studio version of Black Limousine, or Neighbors, they both hurt my ears. It wasn't until I got the Hampton '81 DVD that I finally dug Black Limousine, especially Bill's absolute killer bass. And Ernie Watts sax on Waiting On A Friend finally got me into that song, and of course I dig Sonny Rollins' studio version. But Neighbors. Please. That's filler along the lines of 'Lies' on Some Girls.

Date: June 5, 2014 19:42

Slave????

Date: June 5, 2014 19:50

DandelionPowderman

Not with Winning Ugly or a plethora of other horrible tracks.

Date: June 5, 2014 19:52

michaelsavage
gimmelittledrink

TOPS is the Tops. Fantastic. Great guitar

Holy crap. For once I agree with you on something.

Tops is brilliant. Mick Taylor, great lyrics. Awesome song.

Date: June 5, 2014 19:54

24FPS
GasLightStreet

Way back in '81, when I got this LP, I used to play Start Me Up, and then flip it over to side 2 immediately, for the first 4 songs. AT the time I thought it was one side of great material. In time I grew to like Hang Fire, and Little T&A. Some of it was bad production on side 1. I've never cared the studio version of Black Limousine, or Neighbors, they both hurt my ears. It wasn't until I got the Hampton '81 DVD that I finally dug Black Limousine, especially Bill's absolute killer bass. And Ernie Watts sax on Waiting On A Friend finally got me into that song, and of course I dig Sonny Rollins' studio version. But Neighbors. Please. That's filler along the lines of 'Lies' on Some Girls.

That's funny. I love Neighbours. I don't get the 'bad production'. Hang Fire and Neighbours have a very full sound to them, a lot of bottom end, nothing thin at all about them like anything from SOME GIRLS.

Lies is brilliant, by the way - a thousand times better than the boring by the numbers boring boring Respectable.

Date: June 5, 2014 19:55

DandelionPowderman
Slave????

No Use In Crying.

Date: June 5, 2014 20:13

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Slave????

No Use In Crying.

Slave????

Date: June 5, 2014 20:30

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Slave????

No Use In Crying.

Slave????

No Use In Crying?

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: June 5, 2014 21:15

I've been saying for years now that No Use In Crying would be great in the set list. It's a beautiful, chilling, haunting song that you can almost feel heartache coming out of the speakers. The b side to the first Stones single i bought at 7 year old too.

Date: June 5, 2014 21:23

Just think - it was recorded for EMOTIONAL RESCUE. Imagine if they had finished it, I Think I'm Going Mad, Little T&A and Hang Fire and put them on ER instead of Send It To Me, Let Me Go, Indian Girl and how much better that album would've been.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 5, 2014 22:22

GasLightStreet
Just think - it was recorded for EMOTIONAL RESCUE. Imagine if they had finished it, I Think I'm Going Mad, Little T&A and Hang Fire and put them on ER instead of Send It To Me, Let Me Go, Indian Girl and how much better that album would've been.

My EMOTIONAL RESCUE had been poorer though, since I find all those songs you want to skip as essential tracks in that album.sad smiley

"Send It To Me", by the way, is the reggae version of "Neighbours" - or the latter a 'punk rock' version of the former...winking smiley

But that said, "Think I'm Going Mad" should have found its place in some major album, had it been EMOTIONAL RESCUE, TATTOO YOU or UNDERCOVER.

- Doxa

Date: June 6, 2014 00:43

Doxa
GasLightStreet

My EMOTIONAL RESCUE had been poorer though, since I find all those songs you want to skip as essential tracks in that album.sad smiley

"Send It To Me", by the way, is the reggae version of "Neighbours" - or the latter a 'punk rock' version of the former...winking smiley

But that said, "Think I'm Going Mad" should have found its place in some major album, had it been EMOTIONAL RESCUE, TATTOO YOU or UNDERCOVER.

- Doxa

Well, you just have to use your imagination with the way you know ER and put those songs on instead. Afterall, if those songs I mentioned to take off weren't on it and were on TY instead and it was suggested the other way around you'd probably say the same thing!

Regarding I Think I'm Going Mad it certainly would've fit best on ER, it would have possibly fit in on TY but no way would it have fit on U.

Posted by: tops06 ()
Date: June 6, 2014 01:39

I love the way this song leads into Waiting on a Friend.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: June 6, 2014 04:13

This is a real treasure, one of the greatest underrated songs - it was never played live, was it?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: June 6, 2014 07:12

A really really nice song, and melody.

BUT A REALLY REALLY GREAT vocal.

Mick's delivery is pretty much spot on. You can hear heartache and smell them tears....

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 6, 2014 07:49

gimmelittledrink
With better lyrics, it might be as good as the other songs.

I agree with you 100%. This song rides on its' great chorus, unfortunately it would have a better place as a non album B side. Think I'm Going Mad would have been a better choice, talk about an upgrade!

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 6, 2014 08:59

bitusa2012
A really really nice song, and melody.

BUT A REALLY REALLY GREAT vocal.

Mick's delivery is pretty much spot on. You can hear heartache and smell them tears....

smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2217
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home