Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Track Talk: No Use In Crying
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 25, 2013 01:37

Yep blues ....dirty blues is what I hear

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: June 25, 2013 01:59

It was the flip side of Start Me Up, and I played this more than Start Me UP before the album came out. Great track

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 25, 2013 02:04

Rockman
Yep blues ....dirty blues is what I hear

Bass, guitars, drums, harp........a Gregorian Chant!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 25, 2013 04:00

I had always considered this one of the weaker tracks on Tattoo You, but it really is a good tune and stands the test of time.

Date: June 25, 2013 04:05

Thrylan
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
The theme and the feel of a song can be pretty blue in many genres, without being blues songs.

Then we have happy-sounding songs like Sweet Home Chicago, which still definitely is a blues.

That can be today's riddle, if I may.

Let's leave it at that smiling smiley

Yeah, Keith has been always right in this one: "it's the same shit, man"...

But now when I recall, when I made several years ago a "definitive Rolling Stones blues collection" - is somewhere there in the back pages of IORR - I was very liberal in defining the "blues", but even then I didn't include "No Use In Crying" there, But maybe I am more liberal now.grinning smiley But it took me years to view "Down In The Hole" as a pure blues song, but seemingly for many here that is taken as granted.

- Doxa

What other genre would Down in a Hole be????? Not pop, soul, reggae,r&b...etc. I never thought it was anything but blues.

Slow driving polka maybe?

Date: June 25, 2013 04:06

Interesting point, often times "weaker" tracks do age better, because they don't become "icons" of a time.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: June 25, 2013 04:11

Listening to the demo posted earlier... I hear a hint of Think I'm Going Mad.

Thanks for reminding me how much I love this song and Tattoo You!

Date: June 25, 2013 04:13

treaclefingers
Thrylan
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
The theme and the feel of a song can be pretty blue in many genres, without being blues songs.

Then we have happy-sounding songs like Sweet Home Chicago, which still definitely is a blues.

But now when I recall, when I made several years ago a "definitive Rolling Stones blues collection" - is somewhere there in the back pages of IORR - I was very liberal in defining the "blues", but even then I didn't include "No Use In Crying" there, But maybe I am more liberal now.grinning smiley But it took me years to view "Down In The Hole" as a pure blues song, but seemingly for many here that is taken as granted.

- Doxa

What other genre would Down in a Hole be????? Not pop, soul, reggae,r&b...etc. I never thought it was anything but blues.

A polka?......In 4/4.........Legendary

Date: June 25, 2013 04:15

Thrylan
treaclefingers
Thrylan
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

A polka?......In 4/4.........Legendary

Charlie gets all the credit on that one.

Date: June 25, 2013 04:23

Figures.....Charlie, such a credit whore.

Date: June 25, 2013 05:55

Thrylan

As Ronnie is a booze whore, and Keith was a drug whore and Mick and Bill were man whores, there weren't a lot other whores left over.

He's a victim of circumstance.

Date: June 25, 2013 06:21

War-whoreses?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: June 25, 2013 07:10

punkfloyd
Listening to the demo posted earlier... I hear a hint of Think I'm Going Mad.

The sound of the line "I'll take you to the top" in "Tops" reminds me a lot of "I think I'm going mad."

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: June 25, 2013 08:16

treaclefingers
Thrylan

As Ronnie is a booze whore, and Keith was a drug whore and Mick and Bill were man whores, there weren't a lot other whores left over.

He's a victim of circumstance.

I thought Charlie is a jazz whore.

He doesn't want any of the fame or even any of the credit.

He'll take the money and the time off so he can buy suits and antiques and just sit at home and play his jazz records.

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: June 25, 2013 08:38

It's the only weak track on TY. In fact it's crap on your lap with mustard on the side. Cannot understand the passion for it. It doesn't come close to Down in the Hole. The lyrics, I mean, come on!

Date: June 25, 2013 09:52

Thrylan
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

With those chords it COULD have been a ballad (from hell), but it's not...

Date: June 25, 2013 11:31

DandelionPowderman
Thrylan
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Lol...True. I'm sorry if it sounded like an attack towards Do a, but that one caught me off guard. Funny how something you have heard one way for ever, someone else hears differently.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 25, 2013 11:42

Thrylan
War-whoreses?

Haw Haw Haw - that's pretty funny.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 25, 2013 12:54

Thrylan
DandelionPowderman
Thrylan
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Lol...True. I'm sorry if it sounded like an attack towards Do a, but that one caught me off guard. Funny how something you have heard one way for ever, someone else hears differently.

No attacks seen, we hear what we hear...

But yeah, DandelionPowderman showed the source of my initial "suspicion"... If we take the actual song out of there, there is not so charasteric blues in it (being lyrically moanful and all that does make a song blues - or to say it other way: blues does not own those passions in music). The chord sequence that goes through the song (F#7, Bm, G, F#7, E7, F#7) and the melody written over it is not something one easily recognize as a blues. Maybe more a jazz-like sad ballad or something - not actually far, say, from "All About You".

But it is of course, the formal aspects of it - how they play it - which makes it to sound like a blues, especially Sugar Blue's harmonica howling through the song, and those tasty guitar licks here and there. By a rough analogy, I think we could say the same of "Wild Horses"; if we cut all the formal country&western icings off the song - there is nothing a beautiful sad ballad in there,

So my point was that it was not a "pure" blues song, but more like a nice and original variation of a formal blues song theme, showing the richness of the sources they had by then, and the experience in making music.

By "pure blues" I mean things like "Fancy Man Blues" or "Back of My Hand" which really are attempts to make nothing but a classical blues scale numbers. Almost like pastishes of a blues number. The Stones didn't actually compose many of those after Jagger and Richards learned to write properly songs, with their own signature pen. "The Spider & The Fly", "Driving Your Plane", "Parachute Woman", etc. were "pure" blues, trying to be a variation of the blues format. But with songs like "Midnight Rambler" or "You Got The Silver", they sound original, the blues just having a foundational role in the composition, but the music is pure Rolling Stones. A bit like with "Down In The Hole".

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-25 13:03 by Doxa.

Date: June 25, 2013 12:58

It's not a 12 bar blues, but it surely is a classic blues in every other sense - by instrumentation (rhythm and harp), the feel as well as the guitar playing.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 25, 2013 13:05

DandelionPowderman
It's not a 12 bar blues, but it surely is a classic blues in every other sense - by instrumentation (rhythm and harp), the feel as well as the guitar playing.

I don't see the thing as simple as that.

- Doxa

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 25, 2013 13:11

A bit like a mid 60s R&B song. Clearly a part ripped off Time is on my side. And very much in Keiths late 70s early 80s "choir ballads".

In some ways it has its twin in Luxury. Luxury as the upbeat A-side and Aint no use the slow B-side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-25 13:14 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: June 25, 2013 13:12

And Tops is really much better in all honesty.

Date: June 25, 2013 13:14

Redhotcarpet
A bit like a mid 60s R&B song. Clearly a part ripped off Time is on my side. And very much in Keiths late 70s early 80s "choir ballads"

Absolutely, although the "da-da-da" guitar thing is to be found in countless soul numbers during the 60s. I believe it was Ronnie who wrote this one.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 5, 2014 07:34

I've wondered if some of the lyrics were a conscious twist on LOVE IN VAIN. In LOVE IN VAIN Mick is watching his lover leave him on a train. In NO USE IN CRYING Mick is telling his lover not to expect him to arrive on a train. "There ain't no train coming, baby." One narrator is getting dumped, the second is doing the dumping. (CRYING is, in part, more eidetic.)

Date: June 5, 2014 09:22

Side two of Tattoo you is probably the best side two of any record. Yes, I love Let it bleed but that's because of the songs. Side two of TY is a perfect mix of songs. The whole album is although I could do without Black Limo and Hang Fire.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 5, 2014 10:02

Musically, "Laugh I nearly Died" Part I ? ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: June 5, 2014 13:07

Heaven is about a young girl but not his daughter. I always thought Ain't No Use in Crying was about Anita. The band left her around that time.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 5, 2014 13:26

Fantastic song on a fantastic b-side of a fantastic album.
It brilliantly blends their talents for melodies, harmonies, rhythm and groove.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 5, 2014 13:46

It's a great soul song (not blues) IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-05 13:47 by 1962.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1948
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home