Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"I am waiting" live?
Posted by: TDive25 ()
Date: June 24, 2013 03:21

Did they ever do this one live?

Aftermath is really very strong. People (and the Stones themselves) seem to overlook it most of the time. (except for UMT and Lady Jane, Why did they drop that one btw?)

Re: "I am waiting" live?
Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: June 24, 2013 03:33

Never performed live, but they did do a live vocal over the studio track on Ready Steady Go in '66. Always liked this video...especially Charlie at the 0:46 mark and a brief glimpse of Stu at 1:26!

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 24, 2013 03:45

Aftermath is a great album.
I think it gets ignored a lot because of Brian's very idiosyncratic contributions to it. He was still trying hard to help lead the musical direction of the band and the music benefitted from the chemistry there.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: June 24, 2013 03:57

I LOVE that song, but I wouldn't really care to hear it live probably. Much like Paint It, Black, the nuances and sounds they captured on the studio recording make the song and can't really be recreated in a live setting. They could get up there and play the chords and sing the lyrics, but they can't perform the production, which really sets that song off.

Date: June 24, 2013 03:58

NoCode0680
I LOVE that song, but I wouldn't really care to hear it live probably. Much like Paint It, Black, the nuances and sounds they captured on the studio recording make the song and can't really be recreated in a live setting. They could get up there and play the chords and sing the lyrics, but they can't perform the production, which really sets that song off.

this is a better way of saying what i was trying to get at when i said aftermath was so influenced by brian that it might not get the attention it deserves now.

Date: June 24, 2013 03:59

Nice clip indeed, Jah Paul.
shouldn't be too hard to play. and a nice surprise.
could be right about the Brian remark sonomastone. too bad if that would be the case, though.

I thought they did pretty good on Lady Jane in December. Which has got similar arrangements..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-24 04:03 by TDive25.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 24, 2013 04:00

Wonderful song and great group performance on that track.

Brian's dulcimer is a great contribution to the track, but I especially love Keith's acoustic guitar playing on it.

One of the best things they ever did IMO.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 24, 2013 04:07

TDive25

I thought they did pretty good on Lady Jane in December. Which has got similar arrangements..

Yes, Lady Jane was beautiful, for sure they could make I Am Waiting work just as well live if they wanted to.

Posted by: Christopher ()
Date: June 24, 2013 04:12

I thought they did this live. I think it was on a television broadcast. I know I have it on an album. Maybe its an outtake.
Did you search Youtube.
I bet its on there!

Date: June 24, 2013 04:15

I did search youtube. only found the clip Jah Paul posted.
didn't search very long, I must admit.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: June 24, 2013 04:17

sonomastone
NoCode0680

this is a better way of saying what i was trying to get at when i said aftermath was so influenced by brian that it might not get the attention it deserves now.

I'm not really talking about the instrumentation, although that certainly has something to do with the sound, just the production. I don't think the Stones, with Brian Jones, and the appropriate instruments could have made it sound as good live as those two songs were in the studio. Not saying it's not worth a shot and that a live song HAS to sound like the studio version. I love different arrangements and experimentation. The sound of those records is more than just the instruments being played. When they bust into the chorus of I Am Waiting, they could play exactly what they played on the album, and have it sound nothing at all like the album.

Date: June 24, 2013 04:24

Great song. this is one of their best songwriting periods because they really were exploring melodies and harmonies. Those two bridges going to the minor chords are fantastic. They sound even better in this clip here IMO.
They writing had great drama in this era. Like the bridge in "What to Do", "Long Long While", "Doncha Bother Me", "She Smiled Sweetly" and even "Who's Been Sleeping Here" has a very short tag @ 2:25 stretching the instrumental break.

Posted by: Christopher ()
Date: June 24, 2013 05:06

Jah Paul
Never performed live, but they did do a live vocal over the studio track on Ready Steady Go in '66. Always liked this video...especially Charlie at the 0:46 mark and a brief glimpse of Stu at 1:26!

This might be what I was referring to. I thought it was live but this is what it is.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 24, 2013 09:37

Aftermath (UK) is the fifth great Stones studio album, maybe their most underappreciated one.

But keep waiting for I Am Waiting onstage. It ain't gonna happen: a deep cut from an ABKCO album? Yeah, they did She Smiled Sweetly once, but that had just been used in a movie.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: June 24, 2013 10:01

I love that song too.
Sure one of my favourite ones from Aftermath with Lady Jane, Out Of time and Take It Or Leave It.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-24 10:08 by jpasc95.

Date: June 24, 2013 11:07

His Majesty

Brian's dulcimer is a great contribution to the track, but I especially love Keith's acoustic guitar playing on it.

+ 1

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: June 24, 2013 14:24

Some years ago I read on this board a post proposing to use this song as opener for the show (or as intro, I can't remember). I think it would be a very good idea!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-24 14:51 by Wild Slivovitz.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: June 24, 2013 14:36

If they play in Hyde Park on 06 07 I am going to break down and cry which I have never done at any concert! I adore this song.smileys with beer

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: June 24, 2013 17:39

jpasc95
I love that song too.
Sure one of my favourite ones from Aftermath with Lady Jane, Out Of time and Take It Or Leave It.

I've always wanted to hear Out of Time and I Am Waiting, but I agree with those who say it just wouldn't come over well in the arena setting. There's a certain set of songs from that era where MJ sings in a real soft tone that would only work in a small venue. I think it would be interesting once to see the Stones augmented w/some type of orchestra or instrumental backing, a little like Brian Wilson's band for Smile maybe. Just a one off, but you could do certain songs that are great, but don't demand a huge audience response.

Date: June 24, 2013 17:46

Out of time would be amazing. One of the first "deep" tracks by the stones I ever got into.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 24, 2013 18:19

NoCode0680

They can't re-capture the studio version, that's for sure. But considering how well songs like As Tears Go By and Lady Jane have come off recently I'd say it's worth a go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-24 18:19 by ryanpow.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 24, 2013 18:58

The " Aftermath " album is one of their greats.
"I am waiting" on Ready Steady Go is on my Swinging Pig vinyl-smooth, and yes
it would be great to hear this nice track live

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 24, 2013 19:24

I think they could pull it off.

I'd love to hear them play some tracks from Aftermath and earlier.

With how they are playing and their sound. It's Not Easy, Tell Me, etc would sound so cool.

Date: June 24, 2013 19:35

MingSubu
I think they could pull it off.

I'd love to hear them play some tracks from Aftermath and earlier.

With how they are playing and their sound. It's Not Easy, Tell Me, etc would sound so cool.

Agreed, They have stripped it down a good bit; which would fit with the melodic material. Jagger doesn't have to sing very hard to make the song good either.
E.g. "Sway" or "Let it Loose" or "Winter" - all fan faves would IMO not come off that good, (Sway actually has been done) because they depend largely on a dynamic delivery. Much of "Buttons" and "Aftermath" flows on it's own though. 2 guitars and a keyboard for "Waiting" - could be sweet.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 24, 2013 19:43

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

+ 1

+1 more.
I'd love to hear it in concert, and I reckon they could come up with an arrangement that would do it justice,
but (like Mother's Little Helper) there's a phrase in it that media hacks would seize on and never let it go

(Now go listen to it to see what I mean - it's always a joy to listen to this one! :E )

Date: June 24, 2013 19:50

with sssoul
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

+ 1

+1 more.
I'd love to hear it in concert, and I reckon they could come up with an arrangement that would do it justice,
but (like Mother's Little Helper) there's a phrase in it that media hacks would seize on and never let it go

'Well like a withered stone..'

(Now go listen to it to see what I mean - it's always a joy to listen to this one! :E )

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 24, 2013 20:05

It's one of their best songs imo. Live it deserves a special treatment. I doubt if they're capable of bringing it. Maybe Taylor could help them out.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 24, 2013 20:34

It wouldn't be that hard to reproduce on stage. Ronnie could pull off the dulcimer thing. Mick J needs to pull out more songs like this while there's still time. His deepest, rarest cuts on this tour ain't all that deep and rare. (Excepting I Wanna Be Your Man at earliest shows). Surely they can fill one of their precious slots with a true rarity like this, without playing Dead Flowers like it's some ancient, beloved B-Side.

I think it shows a certain contempt for their old work that they won't put them out their on stage. The audience might look bewildered, but it would certainly up the level of the concert, and who knows, you might be introducing a whole new audience to your back catalogue, not just the thinly treaded greatest hits.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: June 25, 2013 01:37

24FPS
It wouldn't be that hard to reproduce on stage. Ronnie could pull off the dulcimer thing. Mick J needs to pull out more songs like this while there's still time. His deepest, rarest cuts on this tour ain't all that deep and rare. (Excepting I Wanna Be Your Man at earliest shows). Surely they can fill one of their precious slots with a true rarity like this, without playing Dead Flowers like it's some ancient, beloved B-Side.

I think it shows a certain contempt for their old work that they won't put them out their on stage. The audience might look bewildered, but it would certainly up the level of the concert, and who knows, you might be introducing a whole new audience to your back catalogue, not just the thinly treaded greatest hits.

Mick is so worried about audience response now, too bad it's not like the '69 era touring. The quiet worship period was in full swing w/rock groups, where the audience would sit quietly and applaud politely after songs. I'd imagine you could play just about anything, whereas now that reaction will doom a song to the discard bin(Factory Girl, Lady Jane, Faraway Eyes, etc).

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: June 25, 2013 03:25

One classic song. It is a shame the stones wont do that.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1380
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home