Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The reality of one's last show.
Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: June 21, 2013 17:21

At the risk of being accused of whining – a popular phrase around here for when people who love the band dare to think critically of them -- I can’t help but feel a little sad today. Tonight is my 36th show and I am left thinking it’s the last time. The journey that began on a beautiful Monday night in Giants Stadium on August 15th, 1994 appears to be winding down. I was 19 and remember clearly Mick rising out of the stage for Not Fade Away. I simply couldn’t believe the Rolling Stones were in front of me. With age comes cynicism but I relive that feeling every time I see them.

So many great memories:

- Baltimore 2006 when Mick looked me dead in the eye and smirked while I was doing his moves during Start Me Up.
- Syracuse 1998 was the first time I was ever really close and for weeks afterwards I told everyone who said that Mick was ugly they were wrong.
- Paying for one of those ridiculous packages in 2002 to get into the Tower Theater because I couldn’t accept the fact I wasn’t going and unworthy people probably were. That was validated by the people in front of me.
- The crowd reaction to As Tears Go By at MSG in 2006.
- The rumble of Satisfaction at the Horseshoe in Columbus in 1997.
- 115 different songs but, sadly, no Sweet Virginia.

I still believe that they could do more on these shows and firmly believe that people don’t need to know every song at a show to enjoy it but I’m grateful for everything they’ve done. My wallet isn’t but oh well.

Re: The reality of one's last show.
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 21, 2013 17:30

didn't really see much criticism in that post fahthree.

I went to Toronto June 6 and I definitely had the feeling that this was it for me. They may do more shows but I get the feeling they will be few and far between.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 21, 2013 17:41

Wow.....If you liked 97' in C-bus, you really need to do a Cleveland show if there is a fall leg. 97' in the horseshoe was my least favorite. Cleveland is like Toronto and a couple others.....they just seem to bring something special in some towns.

Date: June 21, 2013 17:48

Columbus 1997 sticks to me mainly because of Satisfaction rumbling through that stadium and the fact a friend of mine and I drove from my college in Shippensburg, PA to the show and drove back afterwards. I probably could have listed multiple moments for each show. Frankly I'm shocked I never found my way to Cleveland for them.

Date: June 21, 2013 17:56

fahthree
Columbus 1997 sticks to me mainly because of Satisfaction rumbling through that stadium and the fact a friend of mine and I drove from my college in Shippensburg, PA to the show and drove back afterwards. I probably could have listed multiple moments for each show. Frankly I'm shocked I never found my way to Cleveland for them.

The completely fresh Keith set was my best memory, that was great! C-bus was too ate up with football.... In Cleveland, radios stations play deep cuts and interviews non stop, all day. Downtown, even the cops lay back, "be careful, watch your step sir...have a great time at the show tonight..." too cool. Shippensburg, hmmm, A good friend of mine played football for them, like 91'-95' I think.....my boy Joe Topichack, cool!

Date: June 21, 2013 18:00

Thrylan
The completely fresh Keith set was my best memory, that was great! C-bus was too ate up with football.... In Cleveland, radios stations play deep cuts and interviews non stop, all day. Downtown, even the cops lay back, "be careful, watch your step sir...have a great time at the show tonight..." too cool. Shippensburg, hmmm, A good friend of mine played football for them, like 91'-95' I think.....my boy Joe Topichack, cool!

It's funny you mention the cops. During Sister Morphine I watched cops go after these two kids for smoking weed with billy clubs drawn!

Date: June 21, 2013 18:05

fahthree
Thrylan

It's funny you mention the cops. During Sister Morphine I watched cops go after these two kids for smoking weed with billy clubs drawn!

Managed to get it done.....but it was hard...first experience not being able to smoke a cigarette, outdoors, harsh, at the time. smiling smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 21, 2013 19:38

fahthree
At the risk of being accused of whining – a popular phrase around here for when people who love the band dare to think critically of them -- I can’t help but feel a little sad today. Tonight is my 36th show and I am left thinking it’s the last time. The journey that began on a beautiful Monday night in Giants Stadium on August 15th, 1994 appears to be winding down. I was 19 and remember clearly Mick rising out of the stage for Not Fade Away. I simply couldn’t believe the Rolling Stones were in front of me. With age comes cynicism but I relive that feeling every time I see them.

So many great memories:

- Baltimore 2006 when Mick looked me dead in the eye and smirked while I was doing his moves during Start Me Up.
- Syracuse 1998 was the first time I was ever really close and for weeks afterwards I told everyone who said that Mick was ugly they were wrong.
- Paying for one of those ridiculous packages in 2002 to get into the Tower Theater because I couldn’t accept the fact I wasn’t going and unworthy people probably were. That was validated by the people in front of me.

I still believe that they could do more on these shows and firmly believe that people don’t need to know every song at a show to enjoy it but I’m grateful for everything they’ve done. My wallet isn’t but oh well.
i like your comments

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 21, 2013 20:02

fahthree

So many great memories:

Don't stop with Philly! Wallet be damned!. Get a ticket for DC. Your best bet yet for Sweet Virginia.

Date: June 21, 2013 20:11

fahthree

So many great memories:

Keith says they are shooting for 60! I would settle for a new album and a wave goodbye.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: June 22, 2013 18:21

I am satisfied.

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: June 23, 2013 10:30

The 02 on 29 November was my last. I feel at peace with that.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 23, 2013 11:15

I thought that was it after the amazing and unexpected Trabendo/Bondy/O2_Pit run but I'll be at HP on the 6th and it's going to be hard not to go back for the 13th...

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 23, 2013 16:05

Nice post. I kind of feel the same about the Vegas show this tour. Was my 18th or 19th show since 1978. It wasn't the best but far from the worst. A solid B. I don't see it going anywhere but downhill from here, given the appearant dynamics in play. If they do more dates in the fall (Seattle or Vancouver), I'll go but I don't see myself doing anymore big budget trips. I think the Stones are entitled to charge top dollar but they took that & essentially doubled it. They sounded good in Vegas but it was clear Keith & Mick weren't really "together". At that point it seems that its more about the money than anything else. Something vital is lost when that happens. For example, as much as like their music I won't go see the Eagles again because of that dynamic. The Stones are a much more holy thing for me & I don't want to damage the legacy of that part of my life. The major disappointment for me this year was how Mick Taylor was handled. I was very excited to see him play with the band & to bring him along to do 2 songs was a downer. I didn't think he should do the whole set but would've liked about 5 songs. I'll always love the Stones & was glad I went but maybe they should go out on a semi-high note. Finally, I would say that maybe they should not worry about being hip (guest stars, etc.) & just be the Stones. They have nothing left to prove.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: June 23, 2013 16:16

I started going to shows as a teenager in 1989. I stopped going to see the band following what i would classify as rather perfunctory performances in October of 2002 at Ford Field in Detroit and the ACC in Toronto.

I remain a huge fan of their music, particularly the Mick Taylor era. If he was on stage for entire shows this tour, I would have ponied up to see them one last time.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 23, 2013 17:03

I do have a feeling that the two shows I saw in Boston last week was it for me. I am in disagreement on the Mick and Keith dynamic they could not play as well as they are if they were as far apart as everyone thinks they are. If they do come around again I'll go but the price has to come down or they need the 85's again.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 23, 2013 17:57

I've been going since 1978, 23 times total.

The current frostiness by Jagger toward Richards leads me to believe that a new album isn't going to happen. They can't keep touring behind the old catalog forever. So it may indeed be over in a few weeks.

I didn't think the 2012-13 shows would happen. So this is a nice little bonus. They're going out with a shot of redemption.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-24 09:29 by ab.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 23, 2013 18:49

I'm a big fan of the Stones (and anyone really) going out at the top. The Beatles did it right IMO and that's one reason they will always be untouchable - there is no Vegas era Beatles.

While this is certainly not the Stones' top, they are playing extremely well. Just. You can tell that it's taking a huge amount of effort for them to hold it together.

So I'd like to see them stop touring and I assumed the show I saw this summer was the last one for me. (But what do I know - I felt the same way in 1989.... ate some humble pie and went again this year.)

On the other hand, it's clear that they have a huge following in Latin America, Australia/NZ, of course Europe, and the US Southeast. I can see why they would want to hit those regions again before they hang it up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-23 18:51 by sonomastone.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 23, 2013 20:13

fahthree

Bloodthirsty pigs.
What country was this in?

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: June 23, 2013 21:04

After Friday's show I'm at peace if it was the last time. They delivered in a big way. What a ride it's been....

jamesfdouglas

Bloodthirsty pigs.
What country was this in?

The USA -- Columbus, Ohio.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: June 23, 2013 21:34

In 36 hours, I'll be back here at my desk after probably having seen my last Stones show. The funny thing is, I had already "made my peace" twice before. In 1999, after seeing Keith for the 20th time (combined solo, Barbarians, Stones' gigs), I knew that there was nothing else as a guitar student that I could glean from seeing him again. But as a fan of the band, I knew I was still interested, but I was not going to go see them in a large stadium or pay alot of money (only spent more than $100 on a ticket once) to see them. After 6 more shows, 3 each on the Licks and ABB tours, I felt our time was up, and that Baltimore 2006 on the floor was a fitting goodbye.

I wasn't going to go to this tour at all. Not even the 2 hour drive to Philly if I got the $85's. I would watch it all on Youtube. The ONLY reason I even thought about it was because of seeing Taylor with the band. Then, next thing you know, they announced the last gig of the US dates was 2 miles from my apartment and I nabbed an $85 ticket two minutes into the sale. So here I am about to say goodbye yet again... unless they bring Taylor on for a third of the show in the future and I can somehow get a ticket for under $100. You never know when it'll be your last show.

Till the next time that we say goodbye.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: June 24, 2013 01:12

BlackHat

I felt at peace after the O2 in 2007 but the show rolls on and we have to go! I thought of retiring from Stones Shows but I'll "never stop, never stop"!!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 24, 2013 01:23

The only thing that drew me to see them this time around was getting an $85 ticket, and even that turned acrimonious when they screwed concertgoers by opening up Limited View sections that weren't even deemed good enough for regular sale. The concert itself was worth $85. The instrumental flash is mostly gone. It was very reminiscent of the PPV, with only Emotional Rescue being an unexpected gem. Unless there is a major shakeup, I don't see a reason to see them again. And believe me, I want to see a good Rolling Stones show.

It was different when you saw them tour on a strong album. The first time I saw them they were Some Girls themed, and most of the songs, of which there were 7 or 8 in the setlist, were well received and generally known by the crowd. They were riding a chart blockbuster with Miss You, and Beast of Burden was gaining in popularity. Even '89 had a strong Steel Wheels album presence. What we have now are Greatest Hits tours. Good entertainment, artistically dead.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 24, 2013 01:49

Winter, I'll be interested in your reaction to the DC show. I ended up going to Philly 1 on a whim, though I saw two other shows before that this year. Landed in the pit from an 85, you get what you need. cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 24, 2013 01:57

angee
Winter, I'll be interested in your reaction to the DC show. I ended up going to Philly 1 on a whim, though I saw two other shows before that this year. Landed in the pit from an 85, you get what you need. cool smiley

I was walking up to the will call line and I heard some hooting and hollering, looked over and saw this lady with blond hair and a very cool hat and knew right away it was you, angee. I figured you had to have gotten the pit. Very glad you got what you needed smileys with beer

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 24, 2013 02:11

georgeV
BlackHat

I felt at peace after the O2 in 2007 but the show rolls on and we have to go! I thought of retiring from Stones Shows but I'll "never stop, never stop"!!

I did retire from them, for many years. After the 60s and 70s, I didn't want to see my favorite band as pale shadows of themselves. Eventually, somebody said to me, "they still put on a great show." And I thought this tour--in fact, the five shows last fall--might be the last chance to see them. So I risked it. And I am so glad I did. I risked it again in Chicago, and I couldn't not risk it in Hyde Park. I'm not saying the shows have been as good as the early shows, not least because I prefer smaller venues (though they're not stadiums, either). But I actually enjoyed them more than the Black and Blue era tour, whichever that was. They're still a damn good rock 'n' roll band, period! So each to his own, but nothing will keep me away now.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: June 24, 2013 04:06

latebloomer
angee

I was walking up to the will call line and I heard some hooting and hollering, looked over and saw this lady with blond hair and a very cool hat and knew right away it was you, angee. I figured you had to have gotten the pit. Very glad you got what you needed smileys with beer

Haha, that's great, Angee. We'll see what my Stones' karma nets me when I pick up the tickets. It will work out.

But wow; almost 7-and-a-half years since I've seen them. One more shot.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 24, 2013 04:12

Hmm, that's interesting, Aquamarine, because it wasn't until I saw the iMAX movie from the Steel Wheels tour that I became aware that yes, they still put on a very, very good show.

From the money I have spent on tickets this time, I guess I still believe that, no regrets, huh. Rinse, repeat.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: June 24, 2013 11:19

I don't recall Mick & Keith being 'together' at my 1973 show either really. At least you can choose to pay $85, we only have YouTube down under. Some of those filmers are amazing too..... Thanks to all of you for keeping it alive!

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: June 24, 2013 18:32

tonight will be the third time i'll be thinking this is my last show during the final encore. The first time was at the Beacon and then again in Newark a few months back.

If so, its been a good run:

21 shows since '81 at MSG;
443 songs (plus another 22 tonight);
124 different songs (hopefully i'll ad a couple more to this tally tonight, as well);
some good guests (Hubert Sumlin, Buddy Guy, John Mayer and Mick Taylor); and
some bad guests (Chrstina Aguilera and Jack White).

I've seen them from the nose bleeds at Gants stadium, the fifth row at Shea and 15 feet from the stage at Roseland (no guitar picks caught yet...maybe tonight?)

Looking forward to drinking it all in one more time tonight.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2092
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home