Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Are the Stones ashamed of "Star Star"?
Date: March 31, 2015 02:28

stones2000
I wouldn't say they are "ashamed" of Star Star, but I think they kinda realize that it's arguably their most vulgar song. So I think they figure the lyrics might not go over so well with today's lyric standards. Plus I think they figure, you know, they have grandchildren and younger fans now

Todays lyric standards? Have you heard any Hip-Hop latley? There are NO STANDARDS!!

stones2000

Well if you listen to most songs on the radio, none of them have uses of the F word. I agree, as far as subject matter, anything goes. But language is generally pretty toned down for radio.

Arguably FALSE> There are "Radio EDITS"...meaning radio airplay has nothing to do with lyrical content. I assume FM radio still has those edited version of songs...havent listened to terrestrial radio in 10 years...even NPR is on satelite radio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-31 02:32 by UndercoverLovingcup.

Date: March 31, 2015 02:43

UndercoverLovingcup
Christopher
I saw them in 1997 and this was the webchoice voted song(cough).
The DC show I believe.
Maybe someone else can recall this?

Dont recall a vote...but it was played that night at FedEx (before it was renamed FedEx...)

If they weren't ashamed of Bigger Bang, I cant see them ashamed of Star Star

I was there also, it was the web choice song, I was shocked that it won over the other songs, cant remember those however

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 31, 2015 03:12

corriecas
Would be great to hear Star star mre often. Great Song !!
and No, they wont be ashamed, great lyrics !!!

and.. Stray cat Blues would be a great one too, to add to the Setlist
Jeroen

I was just listening to it today and thinking the same thing. But I think it's a more difficult song for them to do live than Star Star, which is basically a rollicking ode to good times on the road. SC blues has a more menancing tone to it that's harder to pull off live.

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: March 31, 2015 03:15

Berry88
I mean, probably is their best rock'n roll song ever, in the Chuck Berry sense of rock 'n roll, the pure essence of that.

It used to sound so good and provocative, agressive, ironic and distintive of The Rolling Stones.

But they have been ignored this song, excepting some rare moments, from the last twenty years.

Today, in 2013, as the old men they are now, I don't expect them to sing the John Wayne line, neither the Steve Macqueen one, but this song was so great ... Remember when they sang it in 2003, and Jagger talked about Angelina and Billy Bob?

Taylor doing the rythmn part of the song would be killer nowadays.

What do you think?

Yes the entire band is completely emabarrassed by Star Star and always have been since it's release in 1973...Inside reports have stated that since that time they have refused to ever write a song like that again. In April of 74' Charlie had been doing an interview and turned bright tomato fire engine red when asked about Star Star...Throughout the years both Keith & Mick have been trying to figure out ways to publicly apologize for writing such a rocker...It has been noted that the 2nd side of Tattoo You is a subliminal apolgy for writting the emabarassing rocker that is Star Star...I am getting embarrassed just talking about it...I hope this helps...

Check out this quite embarrassing performance
Recorded Live at Oshawa Civic Auditorium

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-31 03:19 by 2120Wolf.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 31, 2015 09:31

2120Wolf

Yes the entire band is completely emabarrassed by Star Star and always have been since it's release in 1973...Inside reports have stated that since that time they have refused to ever write a song like that again. In April of 74' Charlie had been doing an interview and turned bright tomato fire engine red when asked about Star Star...Throughout the years both Keith & Mick have been trying to figure out ways to publicly apologize for writing such a rocker...It has been noted that the 2nd side of Tattoo You is a subliminal apolgy for writting the emabarassing rocker that is Star Star...I am getting embarrassed just talking about it...I hope this helps...

[www.youtube.com]

I think you are just espousing your own opinion and have no factual info to support anything you are claiming. The song has meaning to them and was written to serve a purpose, plus it was fun.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 31, 2015 09:50

The Rolling Stones - Star Star (Oakland.Ca) 11-18-97

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 31, 2015 10:41

2120Wolf
Berry88
I mean, probably is their best rock'n roll song ever, in the Chuck Berry sense of rock 'n roll, the pure essence of that.

It used to sound so good and provocative, agressive, ironic and distintive of The Rolling Stones.

But they have been ignored this song, excepting some rare moments, from the last twenty years.

Today, in 2013, as the old men they are now, I don't expect them to sing the John Wayne line, neither the Steve Macqueen one, but this song was so great ... Remember when they sang it in 2003, and Jagger talked about Angelina and Billy Bob?

Taylor doing the rythmn part of the song would be killer nowadays.

What do you think?

[www.youtube.com]

Funny.........

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: April 1, 2015 00:03

The Sicilian
2120Wolf

[www.youtube.com]

I think you are just espousing your own opinion and have no factual info to support anything you are claiming. The song has meaning to them and was written to serve a purpose, plus it was fun.

Sicilian...I am also Sicilian.....Jeez that went right over your head (Schweeeew)
Looks like you did'nt get it....

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: April 1, 2015 20:52

This might be a blatantly obvious comment, but what exactly is the issue with having the word "p*ssy" in the line, "I bet you keep your p*ssy clean" and the need to mask it out, when the main chorus goes, "Yeah, you're a star f*cker, star f*cker....."

If yer gonna second guess the innocent public listeners being offended, I'd have though the chorus would do it more than that one word? So, what's Universal's beef (Virgin did not "edit" the song on their remasters)?.

Cheers,
Indi

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 3, 2015 05:30

runaway

I always find this version interesting. the timing is kind of off at the end. Its not bad though.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 3, 2015 05:51

ryanpow
runaway

I always find this version interesting. the timing is kind of off at the end. Its not bad though.

How can you tell with that kind of soundtrack? Yikes. You've got to really love the video or the song to get through it. I tried.

The Stones did such a good job of putting their mark on this tune that I never really considered it a Chuck Berry thing until it was pointing out to me on this forum, strange that.

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-03 06:37 by Naturalust.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1882
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home