Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Are the Stones ashamed of "Star Star"?
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 22, 2013 00:33

flacnvinyl
Thank you for starting this thread btw. I am reminded that I really need to watch Live In Texas again.

AH! That's the last thing it was released on. I suppose you could count that as a 1978 release... or perhaps 1979 is when it would have come out.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 22, 2013 00:39

i'm perplexed at the popularity of this track on this board. it's a straight chuck berry rocker. which we all love. but calling it out as one of their best tunes is a little weird IMO. maybe it's the context that makes it popularity - it was one of the few tracks on GHS that harkened back the band's core.

Posted by: Wolfsbane ()
Date: March 30, 2015 00:00

Yeah, they can do it back to back with @#$%& Blues. Gotta give everyone equal time.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: March 30, 2015 00:14

I don't think they have the right energy anymore to play this song, and Charlie will have a hard time playing this song in the same tempo as on those kick ass 70's versions. I think it would sound flat and a bit weird, just like Silver Train did...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-30 00:18 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 30, 2015 00:29

Considering they still sing about junkie nurses and hanging out in basement rooms shooting up drugs, I doubt they are ashamed of singing about groupies. But their censorship tendencies are likely the very thing keeping them from delivering songs of the same quality as they did when they weren't afraid to be shockingly distasteful, wild and politically incorrect. I think it is more of a Mick thing then a Keith thing, but who knows, I imagine granddaughters have a way of changing you that way.

peace

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 30, 2015 00:35

Naturalust
Considering they still sing about junkie nurses and hanging out in basement rooms shooting up drugs, I doubt they are ashamed of singing about groupies. But their censorship tendencies are likely the very thing keeping them from delivering songs of the same quality as they did when they weren't afraid to be shockingly distasteful, wild and politically incorrect. I think it is more of a Mick thing then a Keith thing, but who knows, I imagine granddaughters have a way of changing you that way.

peace

I remember there were a number of guys here that were appalled by Keith's mention of his wife's breasts in This Place is Empty. So, I'd say it's not just the Stones who how have changed over the years. But this is an old thread, so maybe we should let old sleeping dogs lie. grinning smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 30, 2015 00:51

The Rolling Stones "ashamed" over their lyrics.

Good one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-30 00:52 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 30, 2015 01:17

I wonder how a slowed down, raunchy guitar version would sound?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 30, 2015 01:33

latebloomer
Naturalust

peace

I remember there were a number of guys here that were appalled by Keith's mention of his wife's breasts in This Place is Empty. So, I'd say it's not just the Stones who how have changed over the years. But this is an old thread, so maybe we should let old sleeping dogs lie. grinning smiley

I didn't say 'appalled'. I said it creeped me out. But in a good way.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 30, 2015 02:39

MingSubu
I wonder how a slowed down, raunchy guitar version would sound?

probably be kinda like the difference between Chuck Berry's "Down The Road Apiece" and The Stones 1965 version! Both are so good you just wanna have two versions to listen to!

Posted by: Keefy ()
Date: March 30, 2015 03:08

Hell no they are not ashamed of it! They played it in FT Worth Texas Bridges to Babylon tour at Texas Motor Speedway, with Mick sharing his Mike with Ronnie for the @#$%& chorus..It was awesome...Highlight of the show actually...

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 30, 2015 03:27

GasLightStreet
flacnvinyl
Thank you for starting this thread btw. I am reminded that I really need to watch Live In Texas again.

AH! That's the last thing it was released on. I suppose you could count that as a 1978 release... or perhaps 1979 is when it would have come out.

Wasn't it on FOUR FLICKS?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 30, 2015 04:02

This song certainly falls in among the ' cartoon - caricature' songs .. like 'Some Girls' or 'Far Away Eyes'. .. Or even Live With Me ...

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 30, 2015 04:43

bigmac7895
It's like Kiss' shows. They see little kids there getting the experience of the band live with their dads and granddads and understand this is more a family affair. They have plenty of provocative lyrics on Brown Sugar but make it work because if a kid heard them, he'd be thinking about the brown sugar he used on his oatmeal with cinnamon.

I'm glad they are not 70 years old and still shouting obscenities on stage.

Rough Justice has one pretty pungent word in it as used in the song. :-)
I enjoy them being the band they've always been. I'd dislike seeing Mick playing someone he's not,
no matter how old. They've helped influence changing concepts of age, imo.

Parents take kids to RS shows at their own discretion.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: March 30, 2015 06:01

Christopher
I saw them in 1997 and this was the webchoice voted song(cough).
The DC show I believe.
Maybe someone else can recall this?

Dont recall a vote...but it was played that night at FedEx (before it was renamed FedEx...)

If they weren't ashamed of Bigger Bang, I cant see them ashamed of Star Star

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 30, 2015 06:18

sonomastone
i'm perplexed at the popularity of this track on this board. it's a straight chuck berry rocker. which we all love. but calling it out as one of their best tunes is a little weird IMO. maybe it's the context that makes it popularity - it was one of the few tracks on GHS that harkened back the band's core.

Well, to me, it blows It's Only Rock'N'Roll away in regards to how good it is if you want to compare it to something similar. One of their best? Maybe. How many other Chuck Berry-esque tunes do they have that flat out boogie like Star Star?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 30, 2015 07:16

treaclefingers
latebloomer

I didn't say 'appalled'. I said it creeped me out. But in a good way.

Well I imagine it is more of a crew sentiment these days than the band...but hey anything that gets me thinking about Patti's breasts is a good thing, may I never grow out of that.

peace

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 30, 2015 08:13

I'm still waiting for them to get the nerve to sing "Stupid Girl" Or maybe they should update it to Stupid Millennial Girl.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 30, 2015 12:17

What ? Middle aged, or pensionable aged men, using naughty words ?

The current incumbent of the TV show, Dr Who, previously played a foul-mouthed spin doctor. People move on.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: March 30, 2015 12:23

I think starfacka would ne great instead of only rock n roll at some concerts. Not so boring like only rock n roll.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 30, 2015 15:11

Would be great to hear Star star mre often. Great Song !!
and No, they wont be ashamed, great lyrics !!!

and.. Stray cat Blues would be a great one too, to add to the Setlist
Jeroen

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: March 30, 2015 15:33

-Deleted-
[sry double post..]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-30 15:34 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: March 30, 2015 20:39

I wouldn't say they are "ashamed" of Star Star, but I think they kinda realize that it's arguably their most vulgar song. So I think they figure the lyrics might not go over so well with today's lyric standards. Plus I think they figure, you know, they have grandchildren and younger fans now

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 30, 2015 21:42

stones2000
I wouldn't say they are "ashamed" of Star Star, but I think they kinda realize that it's arguably their most vulgar song. So I think they figure the lyrics might not go over so well with today's lyric standards. Plus I think they figure, you know, they have grandchildren and younger fans now
why would you think that? You think those lyrics were OK in the 70's but are outside of "today's lyric standards" Are you kidding? They had to change the name of the song and smudge the lyrics in order to get it released in 73. Today, anything goes lyrically. It is the opposite of what you said. I think that they are as proud of the song as they were then. It is what they did. break barriers and shock people. Anyone even asking the question posed in the title of this thread has no clue as to what the Stones were and are about. You think they are embarrassed in front of their grandchildren because they had a song about sex and used the F word? Really? I don't.
"Today's lyric standards" = oxymoron.

Date: March 30, 2015 21:46

Rokyfan
stones2000
why would you think that? You think those lyrics were OK in the 70's but are outside of "today's lyric standards" Are you kidding? They had to change the name of the song and smudge the lyrics in order to get it released in 73. Today, anything goes lyrically. It is the opposite of what you said. I think that they are as proud of the song as they were then. It is what they did. break barriers and shock people. Anyone even asking the question posed in the title of this thread has no clue as to what the Stones were and are about. You think they are embarrassed in front of their grandchildren because they had a song about sex and used the F word? Really? I don't.
"Today's lyric standards" = oxymoron.

Well if you listen to most songs on the radio, none of them have uses of the F word. I agree, as far as subject matter, anything goes. But language is generally pretty toned down for radio.

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: March 31, 2015 00:12

Yes the entire band is completely emabarrassed by Star Star and always have been since it's release in 1973...Inside reports have stated that since that time they have refused to ever write a song like that again. In April of 74' Charlie had been doing an interview and turned bright tomato fire engine red when asked about Star Star...Throughout the years both Keith & Mick have been trying to figure out ways to publicly apologize for writing such a rocker...It has been noted that the 2nd side of Tattoo You is a subliminal apolgy for writting the emabarassing rocker that is Star Star...I am getting embarrassed just talking about it...I hope this helps...

Check out this quite embarrassing performance
Recorded Live at Oshawa Civic Auditorium
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-31 00:13 by 2120Wolf.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 31, 2015 00:39

Good post, Rokyfan! ::nodding::

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 31, 2015 00:47

but I think they kinda realize that it's arguably their most vulgar song.

Ya Reckon.......I'd say it's about 5 mile behind CS Blues & Andrew's Blues ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: March 31, 2015 00:53

Rockman

Yes Rockman...5 Miles and counting

Date: March 31, 2015 01:22

2120Wolf
Rockman

Yes Rockman...5 Miles and counting

Good point..forgot about those two. I take back my comment

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1921
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home