Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: slap in the face
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 19, 2013 12:33

If the 1500 tix scam flops, it may be the end of the overpriced concert tickets trend for lots of other band, and that's a GOOD thing.

It's a bit sad it happened to the Stones (I'd rather see happen to Macca or the Eagles) but it can help kill that "tix will sell at any prices cos we're a super-famous band and fans want to see us" biz mantra, well... thumbs up

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 19, 2013 14:12

JumpinJackOLantern
trainarollin
Stones did not get stuck with overpriced tickets...AEG did. AEG took for granted that people would jump out of their chairs and blow $1200 or more for 2 tickets on short notice.

AEG's strategy was to make life as miserable as possible for the scalpers. They succeeded. It's a hard pill to swallow for some Stones whiners but the Stones fought for lower ticket prices for their fans. That's a fact!

no its not. Its utter cheerleader-esque drivel, no matter how you choose to dress it up.

Date: June 19, 2013 14:16

JumpinJackOLantern
The Stones ABB tour ended in 2007. They started back up over five years later. Fans had 60 plus months to save for the 50th anniversary tour. $25.00 a month for 60 months equals $1500.00.

It speaks volumes for how far removed the Stones and some of their fans are from reality that people have to justify saving up for five years to see one concert.

the same idiots who'll sing along to 'Its only rock n roll' without a shred of self irony.

Incidentally, which of these concerts that you're advising us to save up for five years to see did or will you manage to get to? eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-19 14:49 by Gazza.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 19, 2013 14:32

The pricing structure is really bad if you want to take a first timer. Charge what you wish for the pit and such......but average to below average seats should never be 150-400$ just an opinion.

I think the other thing here is, the lemmings that smile and pay 3-4 times what a ticket is worth, are part of the problem. If people will pay 50$ to see a movie......well, expect 60$ movies. That's "what the market will bear" BS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-19 14:36 by Thrylan.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 19, 2013 14:37

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: June 19, 2013 14:58

Seriously, for $600, Mick would have to do a lot more than sell me a concert ticket.

Posted by: lougio ()
Date: June 19, 2013 15:18

The real problem I see with all this ticket manipulation is that it assures that the Rolling Stones will not be back for more shows (not that I care unless they change the set list). If they decided to come back for more shows after Hyde Park why would anyone buy a $600.00 ticket when all we would have to do is wait until the price goes down and buy it much cheaper. I had a $600.00 seat in Boston and the couple next to me bought their tickets the day before the show for half as much as I paid. I have enjoyed the Stones live since 1972 and have actually lost count of how many shows I have been to. I now have come to the sad conclusion that it is over. Thanks Rolling Stones for a great run. Greed and the set list have ended it for me.

Date: June 19, 2013 15:31

True, but we thought that before when on the last tour they overpriced the tickets and then ended up doing 2 for 1 deals because they werent shifting.

They just understimated the number of people with more money and more desperation than common sense. They got away with it in November because there were only 5 shows and even then plenty of people were panic buying £400 nosebleeds despite being told the market couldnt sustain it. When you spread that out to about 20 shows in a dozen cities, you're simply less likely to fool as many people.

The real idiots in this though are AEG. To give the Stones a deal like that - in the middle of a recession - where they'd have to price the average ticket above $300 (it was $167 on the last tour!) just to break even if all the shows sold out is financial insanity. Dainty and Branson at least had the common sense to bail out knowing that pricing formula couldnt be sustained over the period of a proper tour

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 19, 2013 15:45

treaclefingers
Yes I agree it's pure capitalism and it backfired on them.

The good news is thousands of true stones fans saw the band in amazing seats in what might be their last go round, for $85.

Karma's a bitch, oh yeah!

Funny part is, the same people who were somehow proud of the fact they could afford the retarded prices (and therefore were better fans) accused those complaining of being priced out of being "whining layabouts who are bitter they didn't make it rich", are the same ones whining when the very same layabouts schooled them on how capitalism actually works.
They have now learned a very expensive but rather obvious lesson: the market will decide the prices in the end.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-19 15:48 by andrewt.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 19, 2013 15:50

Gazza
JumpinJackOLantern
The Stones ABB tour ended in 2007. They started back up over five years later. Fans had 60 plus months to save for the 50th anniversary tour. $25.00 a month for 60 months equals $1500.00.

It speaks volumes for how far removed the Stones and some of their fans are from reality that people have to justify saving up for five years to see one concert.

the same idiots who'll sing along to 'Its only rock n roll' without a shred of self irony.

Incidentally, which of these concerts that you're advising us to save up for five years to see did or will you manage to get to? eye rolling smiley

OK...but did you have to digitally eviscerate him in front of us all.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 19, 2013 16:02

i still say they should have offered fans the opportunity to pay just to see/hear certain songs and not for a whole show. i laid this out very clearly, with the suggested actual retail pricing structure and everything.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 19, 2013 16:03

treaclefingers
Gazza
JumpinJackOLantern

OK...but did you have to digitally eviscerate him in front of us all.

Best evisceration ever. It's already legendary.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 19, 2013 16:16

Why does anybody buy a top-price ticket?

1) Treat of a lifetime (good luck to this category - I think they'll usually feel they got their money's worth).

2) Too rich to notice (wouldn't we all like to be?)

3) Too dedicated to let it upset them (VERY few of these nowadays).

4) Want the security of knowing they don't have to play the last-minute game of chicken with the ticket sellers (this would be me if I could afford it - we aren't all as good at this as paulywaul).

5) Want to show off how much they can afford and Be Seen at the event.

Probably only No. 5 are going to care if it turns out to be possible for some ordinary joe or jane to stand next to them for 10% of what they've been boasting of paying. (Good grief - they're letting ANYBODY in these days..) The bottom line is: was it worth whatever you paid to be there? If it was, why do you care what someone else paid?

If I could be in the US I'd have had a go at the $85 ticket lottery - and if I finish up in the Pit I don't care if you do look down on me (it's easy - I'm only 5.00 tall...)

Date: June 19, 2013 16:20

Green Lady
Why does anybody buy a top-price ticket?

1) Treat of a lifetime (good luck to this category - I think they'll usually feel they got their money's worth).

2) Too rich to notice (wouldn't we all like to be?)

3) Too dedicated to let it upset them (VERY few of these nowadays).

4) Want the security of knowing they don't have to play the last-minute game of chicken with the ticket sellers (this would be me if I could afford it - we aren't all as good at this as paulywaul).

5) Want to show off how much they can afford and Be Seen at the event.

Probably only No. 5 are going to care if it turns out to be possible for some ordinary joe or jane to stand next to them for 10% of what they've been boasting of paying. (Good grief - they're letting ANYBODY in these days..) The bottom line is: was it worth whatever you paid to be there? If it was, why do you care what someone else paid?

If I could be in the US I'd have had a go at the $85 ticket lottery - and if I finish up in the Pit I don't care if you do look down on me (it's easy - I'm only 5.00 tall...)

you seem a little green with envy. i get it now.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 19, 2013 16:20

Supply and demand. Last night the beers in my hotel were $2 during the Phillis game, but as soon as the game and the concert finished, the beers were $4.25. Same withy airline prices. I got a cheap $65 business upgrade and got lots of fast lane and luxury tratment the other day, on my way to Philly, but the guys next to me in the Business cabin paid multiple money for the same seats.

There are other things to worry about in life than the pants you bought at full price no being on summer sale. Or the rain that fell one hour ago but not now. Life is unfair. Make the best of it!

Bjornulf

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 19, 2013 16:22

Thrylan
The pricing structure is really bad if you want to take a first timer...

... or a whole family. With a 600-1500$ range the Stones obviously wanted us to feel that attending a show is a privilege. Apparently most people didn't get it. >grinning smiley<

Another way to go the "privilege" route would have been to set a flat price (80-100$?) and an e-lottery system (with non-transferrable tix to avoid scalping and Ebay reselling). Those who would have had a managed to get a ticket would have felt privileged indeed....

Date: June 19, 2013 16:25

bv
Supply and demand. Last night the beers in my hotel were $2 during the Phillis game, but as soon as the game and the concert finished, the beers were $4.25. Same withy airline prices. I got a cheap $65 business upgrade and got lots of fast lane and luxury tratment the other day, on my way to Philly, but the guys next to me in the Business cabin paid multiple money for the same seats.

There are other things to worry about in life than the pants you bought at full price no being on summer sale. Or the rain that fell one hour ago but not now. Life is unfair. Make the best of it!

i know i speak for the community when i say thank you for your spiritual guidance through these tough times.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 19, 2013 16:36

stonesrule
Thank God, you're one of the few grown-ups on IORR Aquamarine.

Yeah, but as for you, is constantly moaning about what other people post grown up?

It's easy to get carried away on forums, you're version of that is to constantly moan about other peoples posts. If you think this site and/or most of it's childish members suck, why not make it better by posting better stuff instead of just moaning? thumbs up

Date: June 19, 2013 16:36

His Majesty
stonesrule
Thank God, you're one of the few grown-ups on IORR Aquamarine.

Yeah, but as for you, is constantly moaning about what other people post grown up?

It's easy to get carried away on forums, you're version of that is to constantly moan about other peoples posts. If you think this site and/or most of it's childish members suck, why not make it better by posting better stuff instead of just moaning? thumbs up

hey now. some of the best moaning ever.

Date: June 19, 2013 18:21

JumpinJackOLantern
Gazza
backstreetboy1
many fans are happy that the stones got stuck with overpriced tickets(cause thats what really happened)and let go of premium seats for 85 dollars,pit tickets,good seats etc.and i am very hppy for them,it gave people a chance to go,that could not afford to go.shame on the stones though,no pat on the back from me,ang iv'e been this bands loyal supporter and seen 2 newark show,as well as over 20 others.but how do you think you would feel if you spent 1,500 dollars on a ticket only to find out the guy next to you paid 85.this is a total slap in the 1,500 dollar fans face,no matter how you want to justify it.if they weren't greedy this never would of happened and everyone could have been happy.now for every fan they made happy they pissed people off very much.this is wrong,so so wrong.pit tix should of been 600,lowers 350(and they all would of sold)than 250-150-and 85.they would of sold out all there shows.shame,shame,shame.

If anyone's rich enough to think nothing of paying $1500 for a concert ticket, then I doubt they'd be that bothered. I guess its a lesson learned the hard way for anyone who isnt but was daft enough to be roped in to something where it was quite evident the supply was always going to exceed the demand.

"pit tix should of been 600,lowers 350"

No ticket for any concert by any band should be costing 600 or 350 dollars.

Just one problem: The Rolling Stones are not just ANY band. Besides, AEG explained their strategy, like it or not. $1500.00 to a high roller Stones fan is like a nickel to "blue collars."

Yes, because of course the Stones are the only band in the world who have a % of fans who a) think theyre the greatest band in the world and b) happen to have a lot of disposable income.

Date: June 19, 2013 18:26

StonesTod
bv

i know i speak for the community when i say thank you for your spiritual guidance through these tough times.

Is it that you're begging for a reason to post as GRNRBITW?

Date: June 19, 2013 18:30

MisterDDDD
The ticket pricing/structure as/is brilliant and like a lot of what the Stones
do, will be copied by others.

Only problem NO ONE or NO BAND can command what they do.

The $85 tickets were/are also BRILLIANT.

Went to a few.. and NO ONE asked me.. "What did you pay for your ticket?"

And the guy ho paid the $1500?? Could have been me.. but I CHOSE to gamble.
He/she obviously could have to.

Any whining about the $85 tickets is pure jealousy.

Point 1 - doubt it. Not in the rock world anyway. Maybe for the likes of Barbra Streisand or someone, if thats the sort of market theyre aiming at, which speaks volumes if so. It isnt 'brilliant' for a simple reason - it quite obviously didnt work. The system was so flawed that they ended up having to make cut price last minute deals to fill seats and fans who bought shit tickets were able to get upgrades during the shows.

Point 2- U2 are a far bigger draw now than the Stones are and could do a pricing system like that easily and make it more successful. They chose not to. Whilst their top end prices on their last tour were expensive, for the GA pit tickets they chose to reward their hardcore fanbase and made them amongst the cheapest. It actually makes for a better audience.

The rest of what you said is spot on, although I think its safe to say there ended up being more $85 tickets available than what was originally intended because they misjudged how many people were willing to pay $350 and upwards for what were often very ordinary seats.

Date: June 19, 2013 18:33

Aquamarine
I paid what to me was a huge amount of money for a great seat, and if the guy next to me spent $85, then good for him, great that he could get an affordable ticket and a terrific view. Doesn't bother me in the slightest what anyone else paid, I know what the ticket was worth to me. And nobody asked me what I paid, either, and I didn't ask them. Because we were all too busy rocking out.

thats the spirit.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 19, 2013 18:36

People spend hundreds and hundreds on Super Bowl tickets. And there is no guarantee of your team winning or a good time. But people think it's OK to spend that and take a chance. With the Stones in know I will have a great time and something I will remember forever. To me it's worth every cent.

Date: June 19, 2013 18:38

More Hot Rocks
People spend hundreds and hundreds on Super Bowl tickets. And there is no guarantee of your team winning or a good time. But people think it's OK to spend that and take a chance. With the Stones in know I will have a great time and something I will remember forever. To me it's worth every cent.

that makes cents

Date: June 19, 2013 18:39

treaclefingers
StonesTod
bv

i think we should give others a shot at posting as GRNRBITW...i don't think it's fair fo me to hog the spotlight.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 19, 2013 18:42

JumpinJackOLantern
I could see the cause for outrage if Springsteen was charging the amount the Stones charge. His fans pay enough to hear him strain to blow the wax out of his ears and the gravel from his mouth! smiling smiley

Those are the best Springsteen descriptions I have ever read in my life.

Date: June 19, 2013 18:46

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
bv

i think we should give others a shot at posting as GRNRBITW...i don't think it's fair fo me to hog the spotlight.

I'm just glad that you had the foresight to make the investment of time to create some 'branding' around GRNRBITW...diversification of 'ban risk' is a simple but effective way to maximize returns and lower overall risk on your stones quip portfolio.

Date: June 19, 2013 18:49

treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
bv

I'm just glad that you had the foresight to make the investment of time to create some 'branding' around GRNRBITW...diversification of 'ban risk' is a simple but effective way to maximize returns and lower overall risk on your stones quip portfolio.

i stopped using ban months ago...i'm onto mennen speed stick. less risk. but, roll on ban!

Date: June 19, 2013 18:50

StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
treaclefingers
StonesTod
bv

i stopped using ban months ago...i'm onto mennen speed stick. less risk. but, roll on ban!

you're soaking in it

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1802
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home