Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

She's so Cold tuning question
Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: June 14, 2013 02:20

Judging by footage from the Bigger Bang tour it looks as though Keith played it in standard tuning, did he play it in open G in 81/82!? Looks like t it from the footage available on youtube, especially as he plays it on the same Tele used for Tumbling Dice on severals tours. his finger positions indicate this as well.
Cheers

Austin 2006
[www.youtube.com]

Hampton 1981
[www.youtube.com]

Re: She's so Cold tuning question
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 14, 2013 02:26

Wasn't it in open G in the studio version as well?

C

Posted by: TDive25 ()
Date: June 14, 2013 02:27

It's easier playing those Berry-riffs in standard tuning I guess. And Ron seems to be playing most of the rythm guitar on it, these days.
I think most of the studio version is in standard tuning aswell, isn't it?

Date: June 14, 2013 02:28

I'm not sure but I think so, as you can clearly hear the first chord - G - with a pull off the the bare E string in that. I think. So yes

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-14 02:31 by therollingmanu.

Posted by: TDive25 ()
Date: June 14, 2013 02:37

first song I ever learned to play, actually. In standard tuning.. good song to start out with for someone who picks up a guitar and wants to play R&R.

Date: June 14, 2013 02:38

TDive25
first song I ever learned to play, actually. In standard tuning.. good song to start out with for someone who picks up a guitar and wants to play R&R.

thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 14, 2013 06:36

Yes, in standard. TATTOO YOU tour Keith played it in open G.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-14 17:58 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 14, 2013 08:52

My first love too.....This is funny, I had trouble with this one, but, tune a 6 string to open G, but leave the low E as is. Hit the open G, then walk up (E,G) on the 6th string.

No idea how it was recorded,(Mathis question), but this is plausible, and allows having two guitars, one in G, one standard, to hit all the licks.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 14, 2013 09:26

In some guitar magazine interview, the interviewer said to Keith that he'd tried to get the "clicking" sound of the guitar that's in SHE'S SO COLD and LITTLE T&A, and went through massive frustration, until he retuned to open G. (If I'm remembering this right; I read it years ago.)

Date: June 14, 2013 09:44

Standard runing on the album, played with analog delay (the slap back). Keith used the effect as well for the 81 tour, but chose to play it in open G, that's why the riff sounds different.

On recent versions Ronnie plays the opening riff, and they both play in standard tuning, witout any slap back.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 14, 2013 10:03

Thrylan
My first love too.....This is funny, I had trouble with this one, but, tune a 6 string to open G, but leave the low E as is. Hit the open G, then walk up (E,G) on the 6th string.

No idea how it was recorded,(Mathis question), but this is plausible, and allows having two guitars, one in G, one standard, to hit all the licks.

You need the open E, A, and D strings in standard tuning for the riff, as its:

E-G G G / A-C C C / D-F F F / G

With the F and last G-chord played as a D-shape on the 4th and 6th position.

Mathijs

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 14, 2013 14:19

Lol.....I knew you'd answer.....D formation..... makes sense. I guess if you play alone long enough, it's hard to be a minimalist. The riff sounds so good in G, I couldn't let it go. Without picking up the guitar, I am guessing the D form really sets you up for the licks.

They really need that echo/delay on this one,IMO..... live it just sounds gutted; it's all about tone and dynamics.

Date: June 14, 2013 14:19

Mathijs
Thrylan

You need the open E, A, and D strings in standard tuning for the riff, as its:

E-G G G / A-C C C / D-F F F / G

With the F and last G-chord played as a D-shape on the 4th and 6th position.

Mathijs

You're refering to the studio version there, Mathijs?

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 19, 2013 23:56

Studio: standard
Live 81-82: open G

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1904
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home