Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Memory Motel video or audio from Boston?
Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 15, 2013 18:43

I absolutely love this.

The way Mick stays close to the main part of the stage.
The way Keith moves to and from his microphone.
The way the song takes on a life of it's own.

Spectacular.
Thanks.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 15, 2013 19:58

hbwriter
really sweet - but why why why do they cut the verse out about the rose in new orleans? such an intense build in the song - cutting to the chorus early robs it of so much

Yeah, I noticed that, it's the favourite part of the song for me...think it's the 'rose of San Antone' isn;t it?

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: June 15, 2013 20:09

Wish they would play this in London 06 07 13. Very beautiful.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 15, 2013 21:08

Yeah, a wonderful version. Both Mick and Keith singing beautifully. And yep, Chuck plays well and fits damn fine there, Can't imagine they could play it any better. One of the highlights of the tour so far.

- Doxa

Date: June 15, 2013 21:12

crumbling_mice
hbwriter
really sweet - but why why why do they cut the verse out about the rose in new orleans? such an intense build in the song - cutting to the chorus early robs it of so much

Yeah, I noticed that, it's the favourite part of the song for me...think it's the 'rose of San Antone' isn;t it?

He did the San Antone/gnawing in my bone-part.

Date: June 15, 2013 21:29

This version also show what a brilliant song "Memory Motel" is. Surely one of their greatest ballads - and could be the "most ballad" they ever had. Jagger/Richards pen in its strongest. The whole way it structured is simply genious. Jagger's main melody line with those little nuances varying between the verses and all, Keith's response... they really know how to carry on the drama, flowing forward so naturally. It might sounded a bit cheesy at the time, but it is like a good wine, just getting better. A five star song in my book, no doubt.

It is performances like this which makes me vitally realize what an incredible and rich-nuanced band The Rolling Stones is.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-15 21:34 by Doxa.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: June 15, 2013 22:25

I totally agree with Doxa (no quoting). This is such a beautiful song. I wasn't even born when it came out, but it has been always a favourite of mine. And it is definitely one of the highlights of the tour.

Everybody was asking for more Taylor (me included, mentally smiling smiley ), but if we knew this was in the pipeline, then maybe our wishes would be different.

It's amazing how things get in perspective as the tour goes by. When we found that Wyman and Taylor would play in London, I remember well how this was seen as an historical moment here. It was used as an argument to justify the outrageous ticket prices. Then, all the hype slowly disappeared a few days after the shows, and nobody seems to miss Wyman anymore.

The same with Mick Taylor. As his participation increased during the tour, we got more nice surprises, but the Taylor years are long gone, and the thrill for his part also faded away, judging by people's comments here. The "We want more Mick Taylor" thing didn't work so much in terms of expectations, I think.

The truth is, we want great performances, and great songs. And sure this was a perfect combination of both.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 15, 2013 22:34

i miss wyman

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 15, 2013 22:40

ChefGuevara
How many different songs in this tour so far? Anyone keeping track?
Will love to get a full compilation, most of the anyhow, unstead
of just one concert plus a few bonus extras. I want the whole tortilla!

Memory was amazing!

61 -> [www.timeisonourside.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-15 22:41 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Kevinrm15 ()
Date: June 16, 2013 00:15

Thank you all for the help!

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: June 16, 2013 11:23

So beautiful, pure joy

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 16, 2013 11:49

Wyman is a great loss to the Stones sound.

Posted by: Tbdster ()
Date: June 16, 2013 16:19

It would appear that second half of the third verse (I got to fly today on down to Baton Rouge/My nerves are shot already the road ain't all that smooth Across in Texas is the rose of San Antone/I keep on a feeling that gnawing in my bones) has disappeared into the mists of time much like the Kennedy verse in Sympathy.

I don't think they ever used that part live- it was already dropped when mick recorded that solo version in the 80's... 12th post down on the link below:

Solo Memory Motel thread

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 16, 2013 16:38

Thank you so much for playing my favourite song.

Please please play it at Hyde park for both shows.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 16, 2013 16:44

stonesrule
Wyman is a great loss to the Stones sound.

that's two of us who miss him, then. the theory is officially debunked, which just happens to be tomorrow's WOTD, so put your thinking caps on for tomorrow; i'm expecting some excellent usage of it with a whole day's preparation available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-16 16:51 by StonesTod.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 16, 2013 16:58

Playing the video now, and its fantastic.

Still cant believe they have played it.

Date: June 16, 2013 19:50

Songs like Memory Motel elevate this band above all others, including the Beatles. Let's hope we hear Moonlight Mile before too long.

Date: June 16, 2013 20:05

I played the MM video from the other night for my niece. She was astonished that the Rolling Stones could write such a beautiful song. I told her that MM is only the tip of the ice berg. Wait till she hears Moonlight Mile!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 16, 2013 20:16

JumpinJackOLantern
Songs like Memory Motel elevate this band above all others, including the Beatles. Let's hope we hear Moonlight Mile before too long.

Imagine if The Beatles had done a song with the same quality of Memory Motel. You'd be saying something else.

Date: June 16, 2013 21:17

JumpinJackOLantern

Can't think so. With songs like "Memory Motel" and "Moonlight Mile" they are able to show how musically rich and widespread they are and can be masters also in not in their comfort zone, but what makes them "band above all others" is stuff like "Satisfaction", "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Brown Sugar" - there is no band which could make such red and hot rock and roll as that! The Beatles? - no way!

- Doxa

Date: June 16, 2013 21:33

Another great number. So beautiful!

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: June 16, 2013 21:40

This version of "Memory Motel", a perfect example of letting the music come
natural, not forcing with over danceing and singing.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: June 17, 2013 03:24

Mick sings the same verse twice ( about her hazel eyes and slightly curved tooth!), and yes, skips the rose of San Antoine, can't see why....however, it made me cry Friday night hearing that live. I'd heard it once before, not sure exactly when, but Friday nights' version was exceptional, a real gem, and a STONES MOMENT for sure. I turned to the woman next to me and her eyes were wide too!
Torres, I don't think that the thrill has faded for Mick Taylor at all, it's just that we quit hoping he'd do more than 2 or 3 songs. We're simply NOT getting that wish! We don't expect more than that now, sad to say. I was thrilled to see the joy on MT's face, up there with his old mates. He is bursting with excitement! It is contageous! My damn camera battery DIED 2/3 of the way through...it said it was FULL...I was so pissed! New camera, small Nikon w/ 6X zoom. Did anyone get pictures of the final bow Friday night that they could share?moody smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1585
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home