Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Listen again to talk is cheap after many years..
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 11, 2013 18:34

sonomastone
treaclefingers
sonomastone
wanderingspirit66
Doxa
It sounded like a relief.

- Doxa

This one line "It sounded like a relief" summarises Talk is Cheap and Keith's solo efforts. In 1987-88, it was indeed a relief. That is Richards' single greatest post 1972 achievement - that his minimalism provided perceived relief in a plastic era. TIC has some really nice moments - calling TIC a great album is however somewhat insulting more to Richards than to Jagger. In TIC, I dont recognize the songwriting Keith Richards from 1963-72. He may have cemented his positioning as the anti-Jagger (a pretty pathetic role playing of position actually and informs nothing - who is Keith Richards - what is he about - is he anything apart from being an anti -Jagger - does he even has his own musical identity??)

He is the stones. The main songwriter and musical director. You haven't been paying attention for 50 years? Don't let the fact that be has gotten old and they are now a nostalgia act confuse you. Those war horses and the albums of the golden era are keith, when it comes to musical identiti Keith is the stones. If you are still confused then go back and watch jagger doing stones songs on his solo tour.

Do you mean SNL...he absolutely killed it there. That seems to have cleared up some confusion.

They were good, but it wasn't the Stones.

If I do say so they were better than how the Stones are playing them...The Last Time, IORR. Magnificent.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 11, 2013 18:40

Waddy Wachtel & Steve Jordan ;

video: [www.waddywachtelinfo.com]

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: June 11, 2013 20:06

sonomastone
wanderingspirit66
Doxa

- Doxa

This one line "It sounded like a relief" summarises Talk is Cheap and Keith's solo efforts. In 1987-88, it was indeed a relief. That is Richards' single greatest post 1972 achievement - that his minimalism provided perceived relief in a plastic era. TIC has some really nice moments - calling TIC a great album is however somewhat insulting more to Richards than to Jagger. In TIC, I dont recognize the songwriting Keith Richards from 1963-72. He may have cemented his positioning as the anti-Jagger (a pretty pathetic role playing of position actually and informs nothing - who is Keith Richards - what is he about - is he anything apart from being an anti -Jagger - does he even has his own musical identity??)

He is the stones. The main songwriter and musical director. You haven't been paying attention for 50 years? Don't let the fact that be has gotten old and they are now a nostalgia act confuse you. Those war horses and the albums of the golden era are keith, when it comes to musical identiti Keith is the stones. If you are still confused then go back and watch jagger doing stones songs on his solo tour.

No, he is not. Keith needs Mick. Maybe he is the musical director on HIS songs, but as Mick is the main songwriter, he most likely knows what he wants.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 11, 2013 20:18

i notice every time the topic of the bands solo records comes up,without fail they are compared to each others but never any other musicians.

keiths two solo records are better than anything john lennon ever put out as a solo artist.

wandering spirit is better than any page or plant solo record

"i've got my own album to do' - is better than any of mccartneys mainstream solo pop.

...and so on,so lets keep thing in perspective here

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 11, 2013 20:22

elunsi
but as Mick is the main songwriter, he most likely knows what he wants.

Your statement is true from around 1997 on...but that's the only truth it has...

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 11, 2013 20:29

Wow! I was just listening for the first time in awhile to "Talk Is Cheap" in its entireity this past week and marveled at how it still rocks like crazy and is much more listenable throughout than some of the Stones 1980s/90s and on stuff. Saw Keith on tour for both solo albums. The Winos were a great band for him. The most interesting part of going to the shows, outside of the music, was watching all of the Keith wannabes in the audience with their thatched hair, scruffy look, pale pallor, scarves, etc. During a tour for Keith's second album he appeared at DAR Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C. The concert was going hot and heavy and then, bam!, the power went out and the band was left without any way to play electric instruments. The audience wouldn't let them go away. We wanted to hear the band so the Winos winged it and played a few numbers acoustically, hoping the power would come back on. It didn't, but we went away happy. It was a great night for live music. BTW, Keith had a great backup singer in the Winos, Sarah Dash. She wailed away on "Time Is On My Side", "Gimme Shelter", was a seductive counterpart to Keith on "Make No Mistake" and a few other numbers. Ms. Dash should be on this tour with the Stones, along with Lisa. I think they'd take a number of Stones songs into another dimension wailing away as counterparts to Mr. Jagger.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: June 11, 2013 20:51

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 18:12 by camper88.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: June 11, 2013 20:54

elunsi
sonomastone
wanderingspirit66
Doxa

- Doxa

No, he is not. Keith needs Mick. Maybe he is the musical director on HIS songs, but as Mick is the main songwriter, he most likely knows what he wants.

the fact that Mick wrote more songs in recent years, have only meant one thing: Theres been more crap on Stones albums. It's Mick who needs a songwriting partner - All you have to do is listen to "Suck On The Jagular or Streets Of Love",Anybody seen my baby aka Constant craving or solo crap like "Lets Work" to see that Mick really needs help.
I would say that Keith is the main songwriter - cause Keiths songs seems to be the ones that kicks ass.

One of Micks finest songwriting:

It's been said before but let's say it again: Talk Is Cheap is the best Stones album of the eighties and it's Keith solo. (Tattoo You is a good album with great Keef songs like " Start Me Up" but thats a collection of seventies recordings.) - However talk is cheap songs like " Locked Away" and "Take It So Hard" Make No Mistake are classic "Stones songs." - The songwriting on Talk Is Cheap is fantastic and production kicks ass.

One of Keiths finest songwriting:

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 11, 2013 21:10

I love Talk is Cheap, and it indeed ranks among the best the Stones have ever released. Only gripe I have with it is Steve Jordan's snare sound, which I find utterly horrible, even more so on Main Offender and the live stuff.

Jagger's Wnadering Spirit is great as well -he did save the best tracks he wrote for himself and not to the Stones's Steel Wheels and VL.

But best solo record by a Stone is Slide on This!

Mathijs

Date: June 11, 2013 21:12

Talk IS Cheap sounds good to this day.
Primitive Cool, Dogshit On The Doorway, Shes the boss and Superheavy are dated and boring already...

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 11, 2013 21:15

ok,again why are keiths records only compared to micks???? why is keiths songwriting only compared to micks??

this conversation has been talked to death 10 times over here,lets expand it a bit.

keiths solo vs john lennon solo-

keiths solo vs pete townshend solo-

wandering spirit vs anything mccartney

i've got my own album to do vs anything page/plant

Date: June 11, 2013 21:24

lem motlow
ok,again why are keiths records only compared to micks???? why is keiths songwriting only compared to micks??

this conversation has been talked to death 10 times over here,lets expand it a bit.

keiths solo vs john lennon solo-

keiths solo vs pete townshend solo-

wandering spirit vs anything mccartney

i've got my own album to do vs anything page/plant

- Answer: Keith solo has better production and Keith has a better band than anything Lennon did solo. - Lennon wrote better songs on his solo albums.
Keith's solo albums are far better than Townshend solo.
Wandering spirit is better than Wings.
Talk IS cheap is better than Wandering Spirit,
i've got my own album to do is better than wandering spirit or anything by page/plant or Townshed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-11 21:25 by seitan.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 11, 2013 21:33

Wow, Ron Wood's first solo album is better than any Pete Townshend or Robert Plant solo? "Wandering Spirit" is better than "Band on the Run" or "Ram" or "McCartney"? Keith Richards' two albums are better than anything John Lennon put out?

Yeah, maybe I am on the wrong board.

Date: June 11, 2013 21:41

marianna
Wow, Ron Wood's first solo album is better than any Pete Townshend or Robert Plant solo? "Wandering Spirit" is better than "Band on the Run" or "Ram" or "McCartney"? Keith Richards' two albums are better than anything John Lennon put out?

Maybe, cause you dont seem to read well - I said Keith had a better band and production on his solo albums than Lennon had on his solo albums, but Lennon wrote better songs than Keith did solo..

I like Charlie Watts solo more than Wandering Spirit..but then again, I love jazz...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-11 21:56 by seitan.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 11, 2013 21:50

John Lennon had some very good musicians on his albums. They also have a more versatile sound than Keith's band. It's a matter of taste. Also, in terms of production, John's albums were done many years before Keith's, so it's hard to compare them.

Keith is better with the Stones than without. In my opinion. I have a hard time listening to his singing voice after about a song or two, which is about what he has on the average Stones album. I have enjoyed listening to TIC in the past, in small segments at a time.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 11, 2013 22:04

seitan
marianna

Maybe, cause you dont seem to read well - I said Keith had a better band and production on his solo albums than Lennon had on his solo albums, but Lennon wrote better songs than Keith did solo..

I like Charlie Watts solo more than Wandering Spirit..but then again, I love jazz...

You also presuppose that you're being taken seriously...that's a stretch.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: June 12, 2013 02:46

marianna
John Lennon had some very good musicians on his albums. They also have a more versatile sound than Keith's band. It's a matter of taste. Also, in terms of production, John's albums were done many years before Keith's, so it's hard to compare them.

Keith is better with the Stones than without. In my opinion. I have a hard time listening to his singing voice after about a song or two, which is about what he has on the average Stones album. I have enjoyed listening to TIC in the past, in small segments at a time.
+1. impossible to listen to either of his cds all the way thru without falling asleep zzzzzzzzz. wandering spirit crushes them in comparison.

Date: June 12, 2013 11:01

marianna

Versatile sound?? TIC is a school book in variety:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-12 15:23 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: gotthasilva ()
Date: June 12, 2013 15:15

Yep plenty of variety there. Think the Lennon/Richards comparison though is not really like with like. Lennon was very lyrics driven and a lot of his songs stand or fall on the lyrics. Richards is much more about the music, the sound. Who listens to Keith's songs (or many Stones songs for that matter) for the lyrics? I love both Lennon and Richards but I don't think what they're good at is the same thing really.

I remember hearing that Dylan had told Keith once 'I could write satisfaction, but you couldn't have written Tambourine Man' and I thought Keith should have replied 'only half true - you could never have come up with that riff Bob'

Date: June 12, 2013 15:23

gotthasilva
Yep plenty of variety there. Think the Lennon/Richards comparison though is not really like with like. Lennon was very lyrics driven and a lot of his songs stand or fall on the lyrics. Richards is much more about the music, the sound. Who listens to Keith's songs (or many Stones songs for that matter) for the lyrics? I love both Lennon and Richards but I don't think what they're good at is the same thing really.

I remember hearing that Dylan had told Keith once 'I could write satisfaction, but you couldn't have written Tambourine Man' and I thought Keith should have replied 'only half true - you could never have come up with that riff Bob'

Wasn't it Desolation Row? Nice story anyway smiling smiley

I agree about the difficult comparison between John and Keith (I love both), though.

However, stating that Talk Is Cheap lacks a versatile sound is simply not correct, imo.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 12, 2013 16:45

Mathijs
I love Talk is Cheap, and it indeed ranks among the best the Stones have ever released. Only gripe I have with it is Steve Jordan's snare sound, which I find utterly horrible, even more so on Main Offender and the live stuff.

Jagger's Wnadering Spirit is great as well -he did save the best tracks he wrote for himself and not to the Stones's Steel Wheels and VL.

Mathijs

A major gripe I have with Talk Is Cheap is that it came 10 years too late, at a time when Keith's voice was already shot.

But my main gripe with Stones solo albums is that they clearly show that the band is not their top priority anymore. The best songs go on solo albums, the Stones as a band gets the second-rate stuff.

It makes sense if certain songs don't fit the Stones, but it is sheer blasphemy when solo albums like Talk Is Cheap or Wandering Spirit sound like Stones records (Steve Jordan's awful snare sound notwithstanding!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-12 16:48 by alimente.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 12, 2013 16:48

DandelionPowderman
gotthasilva

it was All the Tired Horses

Date: June 12, 2013 17:26

alimente
Mathijs

Mathijs

A major gripe I have with Talk Is Cheap is that it came 10 years too late, at a time when Keith's voice was already shot.

But my main gripe with Stones solo albums is that they clearly show that the band is not their top priority anymore. The best songs go on solo albums, the Stones as a band gets the second-rate stuff.

It makes sense if certain songs don't fit the Stones, but it is sheer blasphemy when solo albums like Talk Is Cheap or Wandering Spirit sound like Stones records (Steve Jordan's awful snare sound notwithstanding!

Voice is shot WHAAAT ?? - I think Keith's voice has gotten better with age !!
That's the sound of experience, it's more mature, It sounds great when he sings ballads, Keith's deeper, raspy lower register is much better than his old 70's teenage junkie whine.

I dont much care for that piccolo snare sound that Mick Jagger's Wandering Spirit album had, it sounds way too thin for my taste...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-12 17:32 by seitan.

Posted by: gotthasilva ()
Date: June 12, 2013 17:49

DandelionPowderman
gotthasilva

I agree about the difficult comparison between John and Keith (I love both), though.

However, stating that Talk Is Cheap lacks a versatile sound is simply not correct, imo.

Was it really Desolation Row? Oh well, I guess we'd all struggle to write that one!

Absolutely agree about the versatility on TIC. Think it was another post who said not. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 12, 2013 18:35

seitan
alimente
Mathijs

Mathijs

Voice is shot WHAAAT ?? - I think Keith's voice has gotten better with age !!
That's the sound of experience, it's more mature, It sounds great when he sings ballads, Keith's deeper, raspy lower register is much better than his old 70's teenage junkie whine.

I dont much care for that piccolo snare sound that Mick Jagger's Wandering Spirit album had, it sounds way too thin for my taste...

OK, Keith is good, Jagger is shit - got it.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: June 12, 2013 18:43

I love keith's voice! It's a voice that represented Rock'n'roll!

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: June 12, 2013 19:29

seitan
Doxa
One fine feature in that album is that it hasn't dated one bit soundwise, unlike so many other albums from that time. It sounded extremily earthy and muddy at the time, so archaic, and it still does. I think that production idea alone was one helluva musical statement from Keith's side.

- Doxa

I agree.
I love the album, fantastic. It's much better than Undercover, Steel Wheelchairs, Dirty Work or anything the Stones did during the eighties. Fantastic album

1+++++++
(and far better than "Wandering Spirit)

Date: June 12, 2013 19:34

Silver Dagger
Scooby
It's the best solo work by a member of the Stones.

It's not better than Ronnie's I've Got My Own Album To Do. That has thee best quality song count of them all.

hmm, isn't that much more Keith first solo album....I mean half way.

Date: June 12, 2013 19:50

KRiffhard
[www.dailymotion.com]

Wow fantastic, what a cool performance by the whole band!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 12, 2013 19:59

The vinyl of Talk Is Cheep is a lot better sounding than the CD or the tape.....worth seeking out for those who don't have it

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1188
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home