Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Listen again to talk is cheap after many years..
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: June 11, 2013 03:56

Great album.

I'd love the Stones to make a similar album in 2013...Instead we get duets with Taylor Swift, Katy Perry and Carrie Underwood.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 11, 2013 04:32

carlorossi
Will always love it. But I agree with Jagger's assessment when asked: "I thought the drums were a bit loud. Alot of it was NICE" (emphasis Mick's). I guess Keith wanted a changup from Charlie's sound, which is fine, but they are mixed way up in general. Minor complaint.

I'd say the drums way up in the mix was Steve Jordan's contribution. It's what you would expect a track to sound like that's produced by the drummer. Keith certainly agreed with it and endeavored to record Charlie the same way by the 1990s.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: June 11, 2013 05:18

Can't believe this is 25 years ago!

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 11, 2013 05:53

I still lay it down against a compilation of Micks solo work....I wouldn't expect Mick to be anything but bored with..... everything, now THAT at is tired.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-11 09:16 by Thrylan.

Posted by: 48yearsaRSfan ()
Date: June 11, 2013 06:14

Loved the guitar hook in Eileen and the break in the middle. It was infectious to me, I had to plug in keep playing the song myself. I saw Keith with the Winos here in DC and I understand he was there when they opened the doors at 6pm to ticketholders. He mingled with the icketholders thanking them for coming out to the show! How cool is that? I wish I went early that night.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 11, 2013 06:22

Why compare Talk Is Cheap and Wandering Spirit?? They are both good and stand the test of time and they are different.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 11, 2013 06:25

slew
Why compare Talk Is Cheap and Wandering Spirit?? They are both good and stand the test of time and they are different.

Comparing them is indeed silly. Wondering spirit doesn't compare to talk is cheap.

Date: June 11, 2013 09:17

sonomastone
slew

Comparing them is indeed silly. Wondering spirit doesn't compare to talk is cheap.

And that Sir, is why I said,"compilation."

Posted by: gotthasilva ()
Date: June 11, 2013 10:00

Think Make no mistake is my favourite but there isn't a dud track on this album. If only I could say the same of Stones albums since! I really can't understand why the winos didn't continue. Working both with the Stones AND the winos would surely have been the best route for Keith, as Mick had such different musical tastes by the 80s.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 11, 2013 10:18

It isn't just Bootsy Collins, or Mick Taylor: Maceo Parker, Willie Mitchell, Michael Doucet, Patti Scialfa, and the Memphis Horns all appear on the album.

Keith was also listening to current music, i.e. Graceland by Paul Simon, and using it for Locked Away.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 11, 2013 10:19

PS, it's a pity that Keith, or Jane Rose, doesn't sanction a 2cd deluxe of Talk Is Cheap. There must be some outtakes kicking around.

Date: June 11, 2013 10:24

Doxa
One fine feature in that album is that it hasn't dated one bit soundwise, unlike so many other albums from that time. It sounded extremily earthy and muddy at the time, so archaic, and it still does. I think that production idea alone was one helluva musical statement from Keith's side.

- Doxa

I like that drum sound, but it is indeed very dated smiling smiley

The guitars are dirty, but the sound is crystal clear. Listen to tracks like No Mistake and Locked Away - even Big Enough - you hear every instrument clearly.

Great album, but is it mastered at a even lower level than other 80s albums?

Date: June 11, 2013 10:28

Take it so Hard sounded like classic Stones then, and today.

Date: June 11, 2013 10:31

Date: June 11, 2013 11:44

DandelionPowderman

Nice. I love the organic way he just plays it until its right. I wore a guy out recently. He wanted to make a short film for a college final. He enlisted myself and the guy I play guitar with.....hilarious! Rehearsal!?! Huh?.....Just roll it, you'll know when it's right! He got an A, but he hasn't spoken to us in two months! You can't work out art on paper....it has to happen.

Date: June 11, 2013 11:46

Thrylan
DandelionPowderman

Nice. I love the organic way he just plays it until its right. I wore a guy out recently. He wanted to make a short film for a college final. He enlisted myself and the guy I play guitar with.....hilarious! Rehearsal!?! Huh?.....Just roll it, you'll know when it's right! He got an A, but he hasn't spoken to us in two months! You can't work out art on paper....it has to happen.

thumbs up

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 11, 2013 16:14

Thrylan
Take it so Hard sounded like classic Stones then, and today.

So why, exactly, do Mick fans in fact take it so hard...when they got half a loaf...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 11, 2013 16:31

sonomastone
wanderingspirit66
Doxa
It sounded like a relief.

- Doxa

This one line "It sounded like a relief" summarises Talk is Cheap and Keith's solo efforts. In 1987-88, it was indeed a relief. That is Richards' single greatest post 1972 achievement - that his minimalism provided perceived relief in a plastic era. TIC has some really nice moments - calling TIC a great album is however somewhat insulting more to Richards than to Jagger. In TIC, I dont recognize the songwriting Keith Richards from 1963-72. He may have cemented his positioning as the anti-Jagger (a pretty pathetic role playing of position actually and informs nothing - who is Keith Richards - what is he about - is he anything apart from being an anti -Jagger - does he even has his own musical identity??)

He is the stones. The main songwriter and musical director. You haven't been paying attention for 50 years? Don't let the fact that be has gotten old and they are now a nostalgia act confuse you. Those war horses and the albums of the golden era are keith, when it comes to musical identiti Keith is the stones. If you are still confused then go back and watch jagger doing stones songs on his solo tour.

Do you mean SNL...he absolutely killed it there. That seems to have cleared up some confusion.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: June 11, 2013 16:33

DandelionPowderman

someone said that this is the early version of 'How i wish'...i don't think so

Date: June 11, 2013 16:35

Date: June 11, 2013 16:36

KRiffhard
DandelionPowderman

It isn't. It's only one chord change which sounds a bit similar.

Date: June 11, 2013 16:45

DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard
DandelionPowderman

I agree it isn't. But what is it?

Date: June 11, 2013 16:46

DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard
DandelionPowderman

I agree. Breakin' it's a great outtake

Date: June 11, 2013 16:51

KRiffhard
[www.dailymotion.com]

Hadn't listened o that since it aired. Damn that was a good band.

Date: June 11, 2013 16:53

KRiffhard
DandelionPowderman

I'm that someone...and I must warn you, I am never wrong about anything at all...

Date: June 11, 2013 16:55

Munichhilton
KRiffhard
DandelionPowderman

I'm that someone...and I must warn you, I am never wrong about anything at all...

Was it you on YouTube as well, Munich?

Date: June 11, 2013 16:55

treaclefingers
sonomastone
wanderingspirit66
Doxa
It sounded like a relief.

- Doxa

This one line "It sounded like a relief" summarises Talk is Cheap and Keith's solo efforts. In 1987-88, it was indeed a relief. That is Richards' single greatest post 1972 achievement - that his minimalism provided perceived relief in a plastic era. TIC has some really nice moments - calling TIC a great album is however somewhat insulting more to Richards than to Jagger. In TIC, I dont recognize the songwriting Keith Richards from 1963-72. He may have cemented his positioning as the anti-Jagger (a pretty pathetic role playing of position actually and informs nothing - who is Keith Richards - what is he about - is he anything apart from being an anti -Jagger - does he even has his own musical identity??)

He is the stones. The main songwriter and musical director. You haven't been paying attention for 50 years? Don't let the fact that be has gotten old and they are now a nostalgia act confuse you. Those war horses and the albums of the golden era are keith, when it comes to musical identiti Keith is the stones. If you are still confused then go back and watch jagger doing stones songs on his solo tour.

Do you mean SNL...he absolutely killed it there. That seems to have cleared up some confusion.

They were good, but it wasn't the Stones.

Date: June 11, 2013 17:01

DandelionPowderman
Munichhilton
KRiffhard
DandelionPowderman

Was it you on YouTube as well, Munich?

Well of course not...I've got no time for YouFace with my three shifts here...

Date: June 11, 2013 17:10

Well, you've got a point there grinning smiley

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: June 11, 2013 18:22

I wonder what the expensive winos doing now..

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1642
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home