Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Some Girls 35th anniversary
Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: June 10, 2013 02:52

What can i say about this album it's the best album by the stones after the mick taylor era. You know it funny every stones thread has to become a fight about mick taylor just let it go it's been 39 years

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-12 03:36 by Godxofxrock9.

Re: Some Girls 35th anniversary
Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: June 10, 2013 02:57

It was the first Stones album I bought back in '78.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: June 10, 2013 03:20

Miss You promo video with alt. vocals

Beast of Burden promo short version

Before They Make Me Run

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 03:33 by kowalski.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: June 10, 2013 08:01

Beautiful consistency. A perfectly written and recorded album. An A+ and 5 out of 5 stars.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 10, 2013 08:19

Great album, but I'm not as nutty as most about it. The outtakes are nearly as strong.

Date: June 10, 2013 10:14

Thrylan
Great album, but I'm not as nutty as most about it.

Me, neither. grinning smiley

It's great, but I prefer both (yes, BOTH!) of the follow-ups.

Date: June 10, 2013 11:25

Far Away Eyes:

Respectable:

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: June 10, 2013 14:19

Their best album

Date: June 10, 2013 15:35

GOO
Their best album

thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 10, 2013 16:20

Even though SOME GIRLS is an awesome album, and one the very best they ever have done, I think it hasn't aged so well as their classic 'big four' albums. That's an observation I made when the deluxe version was released, and it seemingly didn't as much interest and general appeal than EXILE did (the same with TEXAS LIVE in compared to LADIES AND GENTS). For me that was a surprise (and a disappointment).

It surely is their most important item they probably released since BEGGARS BANQUET but I think it has or had a certain function in their career - for them it was necessary to have a big album like that at the time - and I think it has an important status within the fardcore fans as an important part of the story, but it doesn't have any longer that kind of zeitgeist magic around it, like the big four. In 1978 The Stones really weren't so relevant any longer, but more like trying to cope with the times. In hindsight that is not any longer so exciting, and you can hear that in music. I am afraid the future history writing, as a general interest, will be rather cruel for it.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 16:22 by Doxa.

Date: June 10, 2013 16:29

<it seemingly didn't as much interest and general appeal than EXILE did (the same with TEXAS LIVE in compared to LADIES AND GENTS).>

How did you come to that conclusion?

I think most people here on the board think of Live In Texas as a better release than Ladies And Gentlemen.

In a recent thread most posters also said they preferred the SG DeLuxe to Exile deLuxe.

Of course, there was bound to be a huge interest for the Exile deLuxe album before and by the time of the release (the return of the prodigal son), but from what I can tell that waned rather quickly, apart from PMS...

Date: June 10, 2013 16:39

True, however, this was due largely that many thought the track selection for the Exile bonus was...."wack"

Date: June 10, 2013 17:08

In fairness, they had lots more to choose from after the SG sessions, because they were recording like there was no tomorrow because of the uncertainty of the outcome of Keith's trial.

Date: June 10, 2013 17:11

DandelionPowderman
<it seemingly didn't as much interest and general appeal than EXILE did (the same with TEXAS LIVE in compared to LADIES AND GENTS).>

How did you come to that conclusion?

I think most people here on the board think of Live In Texas as a better release than Ladies And Gentlemen.

In a recent thread most posters also said they preferred the SG DeLuxe to Exile deLuxe.

Of course, there was bound to be a huge interest for the Exile deLuxe album before and by the time of the release (the return of the prodigal son), but from what I can tell that waned rather quickly, apart from PMS...

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't talking at all about the hardcore fanbase here, but more general attention. Seemingly EXILE and stuff around it make much more impact in press, in sales, and I think in over-all interest. The album even made #1 in their home land. Surely it was promoted better than SOME GIRLS, but I think there really was a "hunger" for that. There seems to be some special Beatle-like interest by "common people" for that period (which also makes it easier to promote). By comparision anything related to SOME GIRLS was rather lame.

But SOME GIRLS, or at least a brandnew, never-seen TEXAS LIVE caused a bigger stir here at IORR by us hardcore followers of the band. But not very much in anywhere else.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 17:16 by Doxa.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 10, 2013 17:13

Godxofxrock9
What can i say about this album it's the best album by the stones after the mick taylor era.

you can certainly try to say a little more than THAT. sheesh. i'm telling you - people are just not putting any energy into their posts today.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 10, 2013 17:13

Thrylan
True, however, this was due largely that many thought the track selection for the Exile bonus was...."wack"

We don't talk like that around here.

Date: June 10, 2013 17:16

Some Girls was a great album, with killer singles.

That formula they were able to replicate a couple of more times and then that was it.

If they had come out with Some Girls now instead of then, I think it would still be a big album, based on Miss You.

Date: June 10, 2013 17:27

treaclefingers
Thrylan

Mick Taylor said it was "wack"

Date: June 10, 2013 17:36

Thrylan
treaclefingers
Thrylan

And Mick Taylor is no longer in the band...we need to get over this.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 10, 2013 21:50

The success of Universal's Exile project...

The Exile album was promoted a lot more. Fairly strong Plundered My Soul simgle on day time radio, BBC etc. An especially made film focusing on Exile which was shown on tv. Lots of coverage in magazines etc and...

It has better songs than Some Girls. grinning smiley

Then there's all the myth and mystique surround Exile. The lazy mojo and their ilk journalists constant reminders of it supposedly being their best album, that it's an essential album to have right in there with Sgt Pepper, Dark Side Of The Moon etc etc.

I am quite perplexed as to why Some Girls is their best selling album, but that's what it is.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 22:15 by His Majesty.

Date: June 10, 2013 22:29

His Majesty

I am quite perplexed as to why Some Girls is their best selling album, but that's what it is.

"Shit happens, deal with it!"
- svt22

Because many Americans thought that it was an ultimate party record for a summer 1978. Of its 8 million worldwide sales something like 6 millions took place in USA. My figures are rough ones and out of memory (georgelicks could provide more accurate ones) but what is special in its sales is that how hugely American-oriented they are. Elsewhere it figures are not so different from their typical sales at the time. It just happened to be a huge season hit in USA. But seemingly it didn't left so big trace in American musical consciousness or memory, as it happens many times with season hits. Hits come and go.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-10 22:34 by Doxa.

Date: June 10, 2013 22:29

treaclefingers
Thrylan
treaclefingers
Thrylan

I thought he WAS the band.....confusing...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 10, 2013 22:32

Doxa

Because many Americans thought that it was an ultimate party record for a summer 1978. Of its 8 million worldwide sales something like 6 millions took place in USA. My figures are rough ones and out of memory (georgelicks could provide more accurate ones) but what is special in its sales is that how hugely American-oriented they are. Elsewhere it figures are not so different from their typical sales at the time. It has happened to be a huge season hit in USA. But seemingly it didn't left so big trace in American musical consciousness or memory, as it happens many times with season hits. Hits come and go.

- Doxa

smileys with beer

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 10, 2013 22:38

treaclefingers
Thrylan
treaclefingers
Thrylan

He was in the band just last night! Geez...

Date: June 10, 2013 22:38

His Majesty
Doxa

Because many Americans thought that it was an ultimate party record for a summer 1978. Of its 8 million worldwide sales something like 6 millions took place in USA. My figures are rough ones and out of memory (georgelicks could provide more accurate ones) but what is special in its sales is that how hugely American-oriented they are. Elsewhere it figures are not so different from their typical sales at the time. It has happened to be a huge season hit in USA. But seemingly it didn't left so big trace in American musical consciousness or memory, as it happens many times with season hits. Hits come and go.

- Doxa

smileys with beer

It's a bit misleading..... the sales were in no small part due to MY, and the disco crowd. I believe MY is their largest selling single.....it's a great album, but a bit of an anomaly. It was the hip thing to do.....Bring on the sheep!

Date: June 10, 2013 23:00

Thrylan
His Majesty
Doxa

- Doxa

smileys with beer

It's a bit misleading..... the sales were in no small part due to MY, and the disco crowd. I believe MY is their largest selling single.....it's a great album, but a bit of an anomaly. It was the hip thing to do.....Bring on the sheep!

Well, you can say that the band did best possible promotion job for it by the standards of the day: having a huge radio hit that touched the nerve of the trendy people ("disco crowd") and a tour. Touring was still then done to promote record selling, not the other way round. Things just clicked.

- Doxa

Date: June 10, 2013 23:19

But I think the reason why SOME GIRLS didn't left so huge trace in "world's memory" - but only mostly to those who found a fanhood through it - it is simply because it was riding in the wave of some different movements - and people who go nostalgic remember those movements - such as disco and punk etc. - in which you can find the real zeitgeist, the authentic soundtrack of the day. Okay, people might remember "Miss You" and SOME GIRLS, but they are not really that thing of the day, more like parasitic (old rockers doing their interpretation of trendy music, but still sounding rather "old-fashionable" or conservative at their core). The same goes for those later generations who are interested of the old times. I mean, if one is interested in zeitgeist of 1978, The Rolling Stones is not the obvious name to occur in mind, even though they made hits and sold millions of records. A bit like Sinatra and Elvis surely made hits in 1967/1968 but is that the thing that is most interesting in the músic of that time frame?

This is anyway my way to somehow explain why SOME GIRLS era does not seem to have much interest outside hardcore fan base any longer, despite its incredible commmercial success back at the day.

- Doxa

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 10, 2013 23:22

"Some Girls" may have sold better in the US because of the cover art and the content of the record. The campy-looking cover was part of the reason I bought it at the time. The music and lyrics on the album are also more culturally attuned to what was happening in America. It's the most American album they ever did.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: June 10, 2013 23:34

Never thought Some Girls was that great ... from the terrible cover to the awful opening track to lyrics that strained too hard to be contemporary. I've probably given Emotional Rescue more spins than Some Girls. As a matter of interest, these albums were nominated for the album of the year Grammy that year:

Saturday Night Fever - soundtrack
Even Now - Barry Manilow
Grease - soundtrack
Running on Empty - Jackson Browne
Some Girls - Rolling Stones

(Saturday Night Fever won)

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: June 10, 2013 23:41

Yes, it was a downright ugly cover, but if you grew up seeing Raquel Welch Dynel wig ads in every magazine, it was an effective parody. Especially with the original women that were on the cover, including Raquel and Farrah (later covered over). It had a cheap, low-rent pop art vibe. Plus, that cover was plastered all over stores like Tower Records and was discounted to $4 at that store. It was well-marketed in the United States and I'm sure that promotional muscle was extended to radio, as well.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1540
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home