Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Emotional Rescue bass line
Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: June 3, 2013 16:18

slew
I like the album but I really don't like the song

great album, weakest song!

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 3, 2013 16:58

I also love the album but don't really like the song.

Now I respect them for digging out a never before played song but my point would be this: surely there are dozens of BETTER never before played songs to choose from?

I mean they never played Slave live!!! Come on people, you seriously would rather see ER than Slave? Or how about Let it Loose or Hipshake? Or how about giving She's a Rainbow a chance?

See the other songs here: [www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: June 3, 2013 17:15

Not a fan, but the song works quite well in a bizarre way

A sadomasochistic song.

First falsetto-part is really nerve-grating ... Then bettering with the sax.

Finally, comes the relief when Jagger switch to his standard singing (1'33" ).

This is what I like in the song- being suddenly (and momentarily) relived of the falsetto.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 3, 2013 17:32

always liked it as a studio cut...never expected it would translate well to the stage...and my expectations have been met once again...

still hasn't managed to put a dent in the best tour ever, though...

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: June 3, 2013 18:59

I always treated it as an experiment in the studio that worked very well. I remember the times (early 80's) and I think it sounded fresh and Stonesy too. People were moaning about the disco feel, but it was actually a different groove than the standard rock, r'n'r groove. Falsetto was peculiar but Mick handled it very good. However, I think it belongs to the period it was cut, as much as Miss You does to some extent. The whole ER album was pretty interesting, but it was squashed between SG and Tatto you which to my opinion are superior. Dance, Let me go, Down in the hole, She's so cold... nice tunes.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 3, 2013 19:03

Ballsy experiment with a great sense of humor. The album was pretty tepid except for ER, She's So Cold, Indian Girl and All About You.

Date: June 3, 2013 19:05

24FPS
Ballsy experiment with a great sense of humor. The album was pretty tepid except for ER, She's So Cold, Indian Girl and All About You.

where the boys go is in my top 10 alltime stones. it shouldn't be and it has no good reason to be, but there it is. and if Gazza were here, he'd corroborate my assessment. but, he had a huge falling out with BV and he will not be returning to IORR.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 3, 2013 19:16

StonesTod
24FPS

where the boys go is in my top 10 alltime stones. it shouldn't be and it has no good reason to be, but there it is. and if Gazza were here, he'd corroborate my assessment. but, he had a huge falling out with BV and he will not be returning to IORR.

You've got more fertilizer them TMZ...

Date: June 3, 2013 19:19

Munichhilton
StonesTod
24FPS

I have been given permission to proxy for Gazza in his permanent absence. Gazza is in agreement with me, as indicated above.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 4, 2013 01:20

CanYouHearTheMusic
I love both the song and the album. I actually MUCH prefer ER to Some Girls, which IMHO suffers from too little variety and is their most overrated LP. SG is still a great record, but, save for IORR, I like it the least of every LP they released between 1968 and 1981. It's a little monochromatic; the first FOUR songs are all in A, one after the other, which makes it sound a bit samey. That said, getting back to the ER LP, it'd be hard to argue that "Indian Girl" is anything but one of their three weakest, most wholly ludicrous songs they've ever done. If that was dropped and it was simply a 9 song LP, or had "Claudine" stayed on it, it'd be equal, song-for-song, to the other two. As it stands, "Indian Girl" is a flaw on an otherwise really fun, variety-filled album with great funk/dance tracks ("ER," "Dance" ), punky energetic rock ("WTBG," "Summer Romance" ), some reggae ("Send It To Me" ), blues ("Down In The Hole," ) a great Keith ballad ("All About You" ) and some fun Stones-doing-the-Stones rockers in "Let Me Go" and "She's So Cold." I love the album. "Dance" is my favorite, but the title cut is probably my 2nd favorite--it has NOT aged badly in the slightest and is one of my favorite singles of theirs, period. People who hate it don't really "get" Mick's sense of humor I guess--he's having a laugh, doing a send-up of the Bee Gees without a hint of self-seriousness about the entire affair. I'm very happy they're playing it on this tour! I don't really think it sounds that different based on youtube clips; Darryl's being pretty faithful to the original Ronnie bassline and it really drives the energy of the crowds.

ok, I fired up the SACD/SHM version and yes it's got some freshness to it...not exactly very deep stuff but it's got rythm! Where The Boys Go? Right on!

I remember my dad who had lost interest after SFM was totally appalled when he heard me play my tape of ER, the falsetto, the fine arab charger part, hehe...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-04 01:20 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 6, 2013 15:19

StonesTod
24FPS

I am and I will. I didn't and I have.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-06 15:20 by Gazza.

Date: June 6, 2013 15:25

grinning smiley Welcome back, Gaz thumbs up

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 7, 2013 21:24

Gazza

Best thing I read here in a long time (if you exclude the hilarious "Michael Douglas : how I got throat cancer" thread)

Date: June 7, 2013 21:44

Gazza
StonesTod
24FPS

oh, who asked you?

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: June 7, 2013 21:47

Yes great bass line but uhhh Good to see you here again Gazza!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 8, 2013 01:56

Bill is on the track, too. That's his synthesizer sounding like a cheesy string section. As with Keith's reggae-style fretwork and backing vocal, Bill's contributions were probably overdubbed later. The basic track was probably just Mick, Ronnie, and Charlie. I've never heard, but I imagine it was Keith's doing that earned Bobby his final great studio moment with the band. Likely an overdub as well.

Date: June 8, 2013 02:11

Gazza

Please don't respond with the truth. I quote from the book every Stones fan should own...LIFE (OR SOMETHING) by StonesTod:

This past New Year's Eve, a drunken Bjornulf phoned Gazza and said "Where's my favorite IORR poster?" Gazza put on his Sunday best and burst through the IORR doors and snarled at Bjornulf, "Don't you ever call me your favorite IORR poster, I'm the Rocks Off administrator!" and decked him. Bjornulf flew six feet through the air, landed on a table of strange Scandinavian food, slid across it and nearly plunged to his death in the canal below except StonesTod bravely grabbed Bjornulf by the ankle and saved Gazza from being incarcerated yet again.

For those that are interested, Page 16 has the famous story about Gazza telling StonesTod that running a Stones messageboard isn't all it's cracked up to be. StonesTod quotes Gazza as saying, "First time I walked into the IORR offices was in 1996. The Stones weren't working at the time so there wasn't much traffic on any of the boards. I opened the doors and there was BV wearing overalls, standing on an aluminium ladder painting the goddamn ceiling. Taught me a lesson about how fragile this business can be."

Of course the most controversial part of LIFE (OR SOMETHING) is when StonesTod discusses who has the tinier todger, BV or Gazza. Mind you, StonesTod's hatred of the Irish may influence his remarks, but he claims to have seen both up close so who knows. I like StonesTod a lot, but he really should have gone through a 12 step program before writing that damn book.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 8, 2013 02:26

spsimmons
For years, I thought ER was the worst Stones song ever. But then, about 2 years ago, I totally changed my mind about it. Now I love it. I think it's great that they've pulled it out for their shows. Sounds great.

I thought it was their worst song ever too, when it came out. Luckily there were 30 years of worser songs after that, so now I love it!

Date: June 8, 2013 02:27

StonesTod
Munichhilton
StonesTod
24FPS

I have been given permission to proxy for Gazza in his permanent absence. Gazza is in agreement with me, as indicated above.

What was the nature of the fallout, food posts?

Date: June 8, 2013 02:29

Rocky Dijon
Gazza

Please don't respond with the truth. I quote from the book every Stones fan should own...LIFE (OR SOMETHING) by StonesTod:

This past New Year's Eve, a drunken Bjornulf phoned Gazza and said "Where's my favorite IORR poster?" Gazza put on his Sunday best and burst through the IORR doors and snarled at Bjornulf, "Don't you ever call me your favorite IORR poster, I'm the Rocks Off administrator!" and decked him. Bjornulf flew six feet through the air, landed on a table of strange Scandinavian food, slid across it and nearly plunged to his death in the canal below except StonesTod bravely grabbed Bjornulf by the ankle and saved Gazza from being incarcerated yet again.

For those that are interested, Page 16 has the famous story about Gazza telling StonesTod that running a Stones messageboard isn't all it's cracked up to be. StonesTod quotes Gazza as saying, "First time I walked into the IORR offices was in 1996. The Stones weren't working at the time so there wasn't much traffic on any of the boards. I opened the doors and there was BV wearing overalls, standing on an aluminium ladder painting the goddamn ceiling. Taught me a lesson about how fragile this business can be."

Of course the most controversial part of LIFE (OR SOMETHING) is when StonesTod discusses who has the tinier todger, BV or Gazza. Mind you, StonesTod's hatred of the Irish may influence his remarks, but he claims to have seen both up close so who knows. I like StonesTod a lot, but he really should have gone through a 12 step program before writing that damn book.

I just spent an hour on Amazon.com and couldn't find it.

Date: June 8, 2013 02:33

There were subsequent legal issues and it was withdrawn. I can post other excerpts later if you like.

Date: June 8, 2013 02:36

Rocky Dijon
There were subsequent legal issues and it was withdrawn. I can post other excerpts later if you like.

I would personally enjoy that, although others might be befuddled.

Date: June 8, 2013 04:22

I might have to move this discussion to the "Some Kind of Stones Connection (or Something)" thread.

You'll have to wait until I'm back in the States before I'll be able to scan and upload the harrowing pages concerning Gazza's infamous Toronto bust when he was facing life for trafficking No Doze so Springsteen fans could make it through the full 3 1/2 show and hear the six-minute version of "Devil in a Blue Dress."

Gratefully, Joey convinced the judge (who was, coincidentally, his uncle) to go easy on Gazza since he had inadvertently flushed two-thirds of his stock when he absentmindedly made a bathroom break and forgot to remove all thirty-six Ziploc baggies from his anus. The luck of the Irish!

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 8, 2013 07:54

71Tele
Rocky Dijon
Gazza

And you forgot, after hearing StonesTod was writing a tell all, Gaza held him at gunpoint for two days in a hotel room....

Date: June 8, 2013 12:31

Thrylan
71Tele
Rocky Dijon
Gazza

And you forgot, after hearing StonesTod was writing a tell all, Gaza held him at gunpoint for two days in a hotel room....

Yes, but did he lock him in the kitchen and say he couldn't come out until he wrote a song?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 8, 2013 17:02

CanYouHearTheMusic
I love both the song and the album. I actually MUCH prefer ER to Some Girls, which IMHO suffers from too little variety and is their most overrated LP. SG is still a great record, but, save for IORR, I like it the least of every LP they released between 1968 and 1981. It's a little monochromatic; the first FOUR songs are all in A, one after the other, which makes it sound a bit samey. That said, getting back to the ER LP, it'd be hard to argue that "Indian Girl" is anything but one of their three weakest, most wholly ludicrous songs they've ever done. If that was dropped and it was simply a 9 song LP, or had "Claudine" stayed on it, it'd be equal, song-for-song, to the other two. As it stands, "Indian Girl" is a flaw on an otherwise really fun, variety-filled album with great funk/dance tracks ("ER," "Dance" ), punky energetic rock ("WTBG," "Summer Romance" ), some reggae ("Send It To Me" ), blues ("Down In The Hole," ) a great Keith ballad ("All About You" ) and some fun Stones-doing-the-Stones rockers in "Let Me Go" and "She's So Cold." I love the album. "Dance" is my favorite, but the title cut is probably my 2nd favorite--it has NOT aged badly in the slightest and is one of my favorite singles of theirs, period. People who hate it don't really "get" Mick's sense of humor I guess--he's having a laugh, doing a send-up of the Bee Gees without a hint of self-seriousness about the entire affair. I'm very happy they're playing it on this tour! I don't really think it sounds that different based on youtube clips; Darryl's being pretty faithful to the original Ronnie bassline and it really drives the energy of the crowds.

They did Hang Fire, Little T&A and No Use In Crying for ER. Imagine at least 2 of those on the LP instead of Indian Girl and although I do like it it's really not very good - Send It To Me.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 8, 2013 17:35

The Joker
Not a fan, but the song works quite well in a bizarre way

A sadomasochistic song.

First falsetto-part is really nerve-grating ... Then bettering with the sax.

Finally, comes the relief when Jagger switch to his standard singing (1'33" ).

This is what I like in the song- being suddenly (and momentarily) relived of the falsetto.

While I actually like the falsetto, I agree there is a tension there that comes off as 'relief' when he switches to standard singing.

I think that is part of what makes the song. Great bass line as well.

Date: June 8, 2013 17:51

Rocky Dijon

I want to read the one where Gazza fell out of a... coconut tree.

Date: June 8, 2013 17:52

dcba
Btw is the song is A# or another key? (G maybe?)

The song is in B flat.

I was attempting to use the B flat sign but it would not let me post it. I did several attempts and finally figured out that the B with the tiny b after it was causing an error.

That's amazing. i-Phone is censored and looks like @#$%&, a quote ending with a parathese makes that silly face and now there are words appearing underlined and in blue that are some link to whatever, like 'sign' and 'a quote' are in this one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-08 17:57 by GasLightStreet.

Date: June 8, 2013 17:53

GasLightStreet
Rocky Dijon

I want to read the one where Gazza fell out of a... coconut tree.

have you noticed how gazza's posting since the fall has been out of rhythm and stuff. there are times in mid-post that he seems bewildered and has forgotten what he's posting about. sad

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home