Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Do you like Get Off Of My Cloud as opener?
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: June 1, 2013 09:24

i think they should open with winter" smiling smiley

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 1, 2013 10:45

I have still in my ears the great medley If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off Of My Cloud from 75/76. What a difference in the guitar skills, although there are the same guitarists today. A history of decline ...

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: June 1, 2013 11:00

RobertJohnson
I have still in my ears the great medley If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off Of My Cloud from 75/76. What a difference in the guitar skills, although there are the same guitarists today. A history of decline ...

Yes we are always talking about Mick Taylor era which was of course outstanding in guitar playing and also often complaining about Keith's playing since 1994 but what about Ronnie Wood's playing in the 70s compared to present time? IMO he is not a nearly as good soloist as he used to be. He can play quite fast even nowadays but his playing was much more virtuous and skillful in the 70s.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 1, 2013 16:12

ryanpow
StonesTod
ryanpow
I wanna be your man was something different and a good way to kick the show off. I don't know why they dropped it. Was it an ego thing because its a Lennon/Mc Cartney song?

remember that time mick sang, "i wanna be your mother-fukking man?" yeah, that was awesome...

I thought I heard him say "I wanna be your mother fuckker, baby" which would be even awesomer.

I'm quite sure he said Mother Tucker, baby, which is really cool if you're a woman with children with the last name Tucker.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: June 1, 2013 16:22

I think it's a fine opener, although, if given the choice, I'd have preferred they kept The Last Time in the set rather than GOOMC. TLT would work nicely as an opener as well.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 1, 2013 18:59

I think its an okay opener. I love the song but I think it would fit better in the middle of the show. I actually like Satisfaction as an opener. One it gets everyone right into it and its also out of the way. I thought it was great on B2B as the opener.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 1, 2013 19:23

Just heard GOMC from Chicago #2, from a clip that has a better sound than the usual. I think the song works very well as opening number. Judging from what i can hear, the guitars are doing really good job. And the crowd seems to be enthousiastic.

As for what RobertJohnson says about GOMC (overdabbed or not ?) version from "Love You Live" album: To be honest, i'm not dying for that "sharp" guitar sound on the particular song. Call me crazy, but i think what make the big difference on that is the piano...

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 1, 2013 19:38

laertisflash
Just heard GOMC from Chicago #2, from a clip that has a better sound than the usual. I think the song works very well as opening number. Judging from what i can hear, the guitars are doing really good job. And the crowd seems to be enthousiastic.

As for what RobertJohnson says about GOMC (overdabbed or not ?) version from "Love You Live" album: To be honest, i'm not dying for that "sharp" guitar sound on the particular song. Call me crazy, but i think what make the big difference on that is the piano...

I'm referring particularly on the version of LA Friday. On this "official" boot are definitely no overdubs. Yes, I agree, besides the guitar skills (Ronnie and Keith were on their top I think) the piano by Billy Preston is unchallenged. No piano player (with the exception of Stew) had so much influence on the band. The present version is a rather boring twin of the studio track - no risk, no fun ...

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: June 2, 2013 18:12

"Get off of my Cloud" one of my favourites and as an opener thumbs up

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: June 2, 2013 19:10

treaclefingers
ryanpow
StonesTod
ryanpow
I wanna be your man was something different and a good way to kick the show off. I don't know why they dropped it. Was it an ego thing because its a Lennon/Mc Cartney song?

remember that time mick sang, "i wanna be your mother-fukking man?" yeah, that was awesome...

I thought I heard him say "I wanna be your mother fuckker, baby" which would be even awesomer.

I'm quite sure he said Mother Tucker, baby, which is really cool if you're a woman with children with the last name Tucker.

Thats it! Open with a JT cover......Brother Trucker.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: June 2, 2013 19:36

Nope

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: June 2, 2013 20:44

No. Good song but I prefer a more explosive track (Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, JJF) to start the show. Under My Thumb was in the same league as GOOMC, but back in 81 they played it with more energy and speed than they would now. SFM at many of the arena gigs on the Licks tour was a perfect choice.

Out of those they haven't opened a show with yet, Rocks Off would be great.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 3, 2013 07:21

RobertJohnson
laertisflash

I'm referring particularly on the version of LA Friday. On this "official" boot are definitely no overdubs. Yes, I agree, besides the guitar skills (Ronnie and Keith were on their top I think) the piano by Billy Preston is unchallenged. No piano player (with the exception of Stew) had so much influence on the band. The present version is a rather boring twin of the studio track - no risk, no fun ...

Billy Preston had TOO MUCH influence on the band. He tended to trample on things, such as on the Love You Live version of GOOMC. I much prefer Nicky Hopkins, who made his mark on many Stones albums, but never tried to overshadow his employers.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 3, 2013 07:27

ab
RobertJohnson
laertisflash

Billy Preston had TOO MUCH influence on the band. He tended to trample on things, such as on the Love You Live version of GOOMC. I much prefer Nicky Hopkins, who made his mark on many Stones albums, but never tried to overshadow his employers.

I agree. BP was a positive influence on the Beatles sound on Let it Be, and was certainly very talented, but with the Stones I felt like he was mostly a contributor to the general mid-70s malaise prior to Some Girls.

Date: June 3, 2013 10:33

I think it's a terrible opener, too. I don't agree that the version this tour hasn't been great, though--just that it doesn't work as an opening number. I may be in the minority here, but I REALLY think they dropped the ball when they relegated "I Wanna Be Your Man" to first the 2nd song after opening night, and then dropped altogether by fourth night of the shows last year. THAT was an awesome opener, much more energetic than "Cloud," and also totally unexpected--they shoulda rammed it down fans' throats for the entire tour, "Not Fade Away"-on-the-VL-tour style. "Cloud" was a great 2nd song, but is too midtempo for opener.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 3, 2013 10:38

Good starter...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: June 3, 2013 13:40

For a long time Rolling Stones fan, GOOMC is a great opener. Now if one watches it every time they play it on you tube it make get dull after a while. I remember when they played the first shows in London in 2012, they used "I want to bo your Man" and then switched to GOOMC keeping in the "Early 60's black&White, In the beginning" theme, and I really liked it then and still do now.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Tropical_Disease ()
Date: June 3, 2013 14:22

Not great opener and huge mistake if they open with this at Glasto or Hyde Park shows, much bigger riff needed. My vote SFM

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: June 3, 2013 19:10

After having been to many shows which they opened with a warhorse, I like the different approach this time.

I also liked it a lot when they started with two or three songs from the sixties ( Cloud, Wanna Be Your Man, Last Time) at the start of the show.

Thumbs up for Get Off Of My Cloud as an opener! Nice swinging and rocking tune!

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: June 3, 2013 19:48

Not Fade Away was also a risky opener, in the sense the guitars are not full throttle.

But Both Get Off Of My Cloud and Not Fade Away gives Charlie the opportunity to shine.

My favourite opener would be If You Can't Rock Me. Standard classic, but not over used. It works the crowd well.

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1789
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home