Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11
Re: Glastonbury TV broadcast
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 31, 2013 17:17

the general concensus to this debacle, on music forums/messageboards which do not have a Stones bias, (NME, Glasto, etc), is that they're:-

"money-grabbling bottlers"

.....great legacy, huh?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 31, 2013 17:28

I despair of this band. They are allowing fear or greed or control-freakery or whatever the hell their excuse is to sleepwalk them into an absolute PR disaster. Mick, please think again!

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: May 31, 2013 17:39

Do they air it live or on a delay?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 31, 2013 17:50

gimmelittledrink
Do they air it live or on a delay?

live..............no delay.........

Posted by: Juniorjackflash ()
Date: May 31, 2013 18:29

They can do either - sometimes they will have the headline act on in the background on the main stage - and be sat tin the treehouse (studio) and state, we have 'Bruce Springsteen' from the main stage coming up very shorty. Then start airing the show before the act has finished.

But u2 showed the whole thing live...

So both are options

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 31, 2013 19:25

Green Lady
I despair of this band. They are allowing fear or greed or control-freakery or whatever the hell their excuse is to sleepwalk them into an absolute PR disaster. Mick, please think again!

Yes agreed, the position they're adopting over this issue is not doing them much good on the PR front I would suspect, they're really just adding ammunition to the stockpile of those who would wish to lambast them .......... with some degree of justification it must be said !!

Hopefully they'll calm down a bit and relent, and we who won't be there will still be able to enjoy the performance on the TV; that's to say most or all of it, not just a paltry four opening numbers only .............

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: May 31, 2013 20:24

Very very hurtfull comments today that mick doesnt want tv fans getting a freebie.
Really bad for business. How about we ppv but you dont do ONE SINGLE greatest hits song as you put it....fairs fair.
What die hard fan wants to hear greatest hits.
Glasto was all about live music and broadcasting.
This is already a disaster for the stones and their already dwindling fanbase.
Such a shame the music doesnt do the talking anymore but I think some of us know that already.

Dough

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: May 31, 2013 22:34

I love this band to bits, but lately I have come to resent their greed. After 50 years the minimum they could do is to have their Glasto performance broadcast in full. This should be to thank those fans that for various reasons cannot make it to a concert. Mick should stop thinking about making mistakes and the possibility of not so good reviews. What has always made the Stones stand out amongst other bands is their rawness, their energy and their confidence in who they are. They are perfect imperfection.

BBC bosses reveal 'constructive' discussions with The Rolling Stones over Glastonbury coverage
Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: May 31, 2013 16:44

[www.nme.com] Its Bull S#it. Reports out today (May 31) suggest that BBC will only be able to broadcast the first four songs of The Rolling Stones' headline slot at Glastonbury.

The broadcaster, who this week committed to showing over 250 hours of Glastonbury footage over the weekend of June 26-28, is now in discussions with the band in an attempt to gain access to as much of their performance as possible. The Independent reports that as it stands, only the opening section of the gig will be broadcast live on the Saturday night with a source telling the paper: "Mick agreed to do Glastonbury for the fans who are there, he didn't sign up for a TV show. It's not about money. This show will go around the world."

The source adds: "If there's torrential rain it will play havoc with their performance and they want to sound and look at their best. There's a lot of factors out of their control."

BBC's head of music television Mark Cooper admits there is a debate between broadcaster and band, saying: "We are having an ongoing discussion with the Stones. I'm talking to Mick about it. At this point I'm quite optimistic we'll get a sufficient amount of music."

Cooper added: "I understand it is a risk for them. They are stepping out of their comfort zone. There's an unpredictability, it's not their natural audience. They are nervous about how much they should share. But when legendary artists play Glastonbury, they also attract a whole new, broader audience."

The BBC coverage is set to be its most extensive ever at Glastonbury this year with more than 120 live performances set to be broadcast and six stages - Pyramid, Other, John Peel, Jazz World, Park and BBC Introducing - streamed live from the site across digital and online platforms.

Meanwhile, the full line-up for Glastonbury Festival was confirmed yesterday (May 30) with day by day breakdowns of each and every stage revealed.
Read more at [www.nme.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-31 17:07 by Godxofxrock9.

Re: BBC bosses reveal 'constructive' discussions with The Rolling Stones over Glastonbury coverage
Date: May 31, 2013 17:59

"Mick agreed to do Glastonbury for the fans who are there, he didn't sign up for a TV show. It's not about money. This show will go around the world."

The source adds: "If there's torrential rain it will play havoc with their performance and they want to sound and look at their best."

This is all nonsense, everybody knows that Glastonbury is a live TV show, what? he just found out 6 weeks after announcing they were up for it?

Also, everybody knows about the infamous potential of rain situation and makes allowances for it regarding their expectation of the whole event........even Mick knew, he said "I've got my wellies".............

Bottle this one Mick and you'll just go down as w @#$%& s.........

What a way to be remembered, the only band in the history of Glastonbury - which itself is 40 years old - to bottle it on the night..............confused smiley

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-31 20:12 by EddieByword.

Re: BBC bosses reveal 'constructive' discussions with The Rolling Stones over Glastonbury coverage
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 31, 2013 18:27

I understand Mick's argument. Just because you've signed on for a concert does not mean that the arranger has a right to broadcast it. They'll probably have to pony up a few quid.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 31, 2013 18:29

They're worried most about rain?

I can see that...Keith would look like a wet cat...

Date: May 31, 2013 18:32

JumpingKentFlash
I understand Mick's argument. Just because you've signed on for a concert does not mean that the arranger has a right to broadcast it. They'll probably have to pony up a few quid.

This story doesn't make sense, Mick would have been aware of the norms of the last X numbers of decades of norms - also I doubt there would have been any contracts signed without the involvement of the BBC right from the outset.........
The BBC will have a masssive aged contract with Michael Eavis.......if part of that contract didn't allow their involvement in signing headliners then they should definitely get some new lawyers........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-31 18:33 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Zagalo ()
Date: June 1, 2013 01:05

Torrential rain? What's the problem?
Bangalore and Sheffield 2006 (alright...heavyish especially on the b-stage section) - fantastic performances!! Bring it on cool smiley

Date: June 1, 2013 02:43

Zagalo
Torrential rain? What's the problem?
Bangalore and Sheffield 2006 (alright...heavyish especially on the b-stage section) - fantastic performances!! Bring it on cool smiley

And San Diego 1998.....personally I think so long as it's not windy the rain improves the sound...........

Date: June 1, 2013 07:14

desertblues68
I love this band to bits, but lately I have come to resent their greed. After 50 years the minimum they could do is to have their Glasto performance broadcast in full. This should be to thank those fans that for various reasons cannot make it to a concert. Mick should stop thinking about making mistakes and the possibility of not so good reviews. What has always made the Stones stand out amongst other bands is their rawness, their energy and their confidence in who they are. They are perfect imperfection.[/[/b]quote]

Absolutely !! thumbs up

Date: June 1, 2013 20:09

Here's the latest on it .............

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 1, 2013 22:45

odean73
Out of their comfort zone, whats all that about?

That means not being in an arena of fans that have been pre-sold on their awesomeness for decades. It means no hired models in the front row acting smitten. Most importantly, it means having to perform a concert that succeeds on it's own merit for an audience that expects a shit- hot rock n roll band to blow them away.

Re: Please let the whole Glastonbury set be televised not just 2 songs like IOW
Date: June 2, 2013 11:53

I was just 2 minutes ago watching a live performance of Coldplay from 2011 @ the festival. And I was thinking about the Stones @ Glastonbury. That this is not only a different type crowd, but a very different setting, with different expectations.
There's the flags and the exhuberant feel. I hope they play up to it. the crowd WANTS to sing along, and rejoice in the beauty of it all. Rain or no rain - it should always create great memories.
The Stones, no doubt will get prime slot - at night with the lights. Hope they use it well.No so much the setting for the bump & grind; but more suited for YCAGWYW, Ruby Tuesday, long outro of 'Tumbling Dice'.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: June 2, 2013 13:19

Palace Revolution 2000
I was just 2 minutes ago watching a live performance of Coldplay from 2011 @ the festival. And I was thinking about the Stones @ Glastonbury. That this is not only a different type crowd, but a very different setting, with different expectations.
There's the flags and the exhuberant feel. I hope they play up to it. the crowd WANTS to sing along, and rejoice in the beauty of it all. Rain or no rain - it should always create great memories.
The Stones, no doubt will get prime slot - at night with the lights. Hope they use it well.No so much the setting for the bump & grind; but more suited for YCAGWYW, Ruby Tuesday, long outro of 'Tumbling Dice'.

Exactly. Which is why those suggesting a set list full of album tracks and rarities are so wide of the mark.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 2, 2013 13:32

I spent some time last night on Twitter trying to figure out if there was a club show in Chicago.

I was shocked to see the amout of discussion about the Glasto TV show and disdain for the Stones and their negotiating position.

It's amazing that the band's PR people didn't realize that the negative PR is not worth whatever it is they are otherwise worried about (whether it's money or a poor performance). And a bummer to see younger people being introduced to the Stones for the first time in such a way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-02 13:33 by sonomastone.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 2, 2013 13:34

andrewt
odean73

That means not being in an arena of fans that have been pre-sold on their awesomeness for decades. It means no hired models in the front row acting smitten. Most importantly, it means having to perform a concert that succeeds on it's own merit for an audience that expects a shit- hot rock n roll band to blow them away.

I agree to all that to a point.

But surely with all their experience over the years they should be able to cope with anything.
Here is a wonderful chance to put on a shit-hot performance and blow everybody away.

I sometimes wonder if these kind of headlines are just a way of keeping them in the media spotlight and in a way adds to the controversial of the stones myth.
But saying all that, it could lead to leaving a very sour taste for old and potential new fans for many years to come.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: June 2, 2013 17:55

I don;t think it is anything to do with the weather, I was at Sheffield 2006 and it absolutley pissed it down, Jagger didn;t seem to care and could have stayed under the stage canopy but chose to get soaked like the rest of us. It was a great performance. I've seen loads of videos of them performing blinding sets in downpours...I think there was one in India where is really came down but they still played well.

Sadly, it all comes back to the money these days with the Stones. It is a shame becuase Glastonbury crowds are easily pleased, all they want is to have a good time and the Stones have the songs to make it an epic performance. Really feel they are missing out on a chance to get a new generation of fans by restricting their TV coverage.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 2, 2013 18:39

odean73
andrewt
odean73

But surely with all their experience over the years they should be able to cope with anything.
Here is a wonderful chance to put on a shit-hot performance and blow everybody away.

I sometimes wonder if these kind of headlines are just a way of keeping them in the media spotlight and in a way adds to the controversial of the stones myth.
But saying all that, it could lead to leaving a very sour taste for old and potential new fans for many years to come.

They should go for it live on TV absolutely. After all, they are the best band ever. EVER. right?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 2, 2013 20:11

odean73
andrewt
odean73

Yeah I think it's gonna happen, Mick's smart and be gets what he wants...whether is needs it is another question ;-)

Date: June 4, 2013 12:04

Thing about G'bury is that it is an all-round event. the land, and esp. the audience is just as much a star in this setting, as the act on stage. It is just no place for a superstar trip. Stones definitely know how to play up to that, but it's tricky IMO. It's either many years ago in a different time, or it comes about at a price. E.g. in Rio where it first had to be known that this was a crowd so big that nobody else had ever done it. Once they had been 'paid' in accolades, they delivered the 'good feel'. they are going to have humble themselves for G'bury.
I think I am being a little to dramatic, and overcooked, but doing it to make my point.

Date: June 4, 2013 12:33

Palace Revolution 2000
Thing about G'bury is that it is an all-round event. the land, and esp. the audience is just as much a star in this setting, as the act on stage. It is just no place for a superstar trip. Stones definitely know how to play up to that, but it's tricky IMO. It's either many years ago in a different time, or it comes about at a price. E.g. in Rio where it first had to be known that this was a crowd so big that nobody else had ever done it. Once they had been 'paid' in accolades, they delivered the 'good feel'. they are going to have humble themselves for G'bury.
I think I am being a little to dramatic, and overcooked, but doing it to make my point.

Good points. However, they did fine on Isle Of Wight during the BB-tour, and I'm sure this will be a nice day with warhorses @ Glasto.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: June 4, 2013 15:37

crumbling_mice
I don;t think it is anything to do with the weather, I was at Sheffield 2006 and it absolutley pissed it down, Jagger didn;t seem to care and could have stayed under the stage canopy but chose to get soaked like the rest of us. It was a great performance. I've seen loads of videos of them performing blinding sets in downpours...I think there was one in India where is really came down but they still played well.

Sadly, it all comes back to the money these days with the Stones. It is a shame becuase Glastonbury crowds are easily pleased, all they want is to have a good time and the Stones have the songs to make it an epic performance. Really feel they are missing out on a chance to get a new generation of fans by restricting their TV coverage.

I was also at sheffield and in a strange way the rain and mist/steam added to the show.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 4, 2013 15:49

odean73
crumbling_mice

I was also at sheffield and in a strange way the rain and mist/steam added to the show.

Yes indeed, it was the far best of the 4 UK shows, IMO

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: June 4, 2013 19:47

Erik_Snow
odean73
crumbling_mice

Yes indeed, it was the far best of the 4 UK shows, IMO

Hello,

Sheffield was a stormer indeed. Alright, alright, I'll get me (rain)coat...

132_3270

132_3255

Cheers,

Simon.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 2 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2136
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home