Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Neighbours
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 14, 2015 18:23

That harsh snare sound is just so jarring and obtrusive. It's completely out of place and ruins the song for me.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 14, 2015 18:37

keefriff99
That harsh snare sound is just so jarring and obtrusive. It's completely out of place and ruins the song for me.

Which oddly is what I like so much about this one ...

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 14, 2015 18:59

loud song on a very good album, this one really rocks and the video to acompany it suits very well.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: September 14, 2015 19:09

The version from Hampton is absolutely brilliant!

Date: September 14, 2015 20:42

LeonidP
keefriff99

I shouldn't say it ruins it for me...it's a decent little rocker, but the choice to make the snare so prominent in the mix is a curious one.

Date: September 14, 2015 21:43

keefriff99
LeonidP
keefriff99

I shouldn't say it ruins it for me...it's a decent little rocker, but the choice to make the snare so prominent in the mix is a curious one.

Yes, but nice and unique for a Stones track!

Posted by: SuperC ()
Date: September 15, 2015 00:03

Neighbours and Black Limo - pure filler although N is far better than BL, which is a complete throw-away.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 15, 2015 03:36

Neighbors is pretty lame. Boring song, that is a rip off from Send it to Me. Mick wasn't too inspired with this one. The redeemer is the great sax on it.

Date: September 15, 2015 06:13

SuperC
Neighbours and Black Limo - pure filler although N is far better than BL, which is a complete throw-away.

incorrect on most of what you wrote ... especially in regards to BL -- amazing song!!

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: September 15, 2015 21:29

Truly awful, apparently knocked up to bulk out the album.
Why did they bother, 5 on each side would have been just fine

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-16 00:06 by Moonshine.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: September 15, 2015 21:32

keefriff99

Same here..

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 18, 2015 15:04

This track just sounds so out of place on the album. It jars, it jangles my nerves. It's rushed, it's hyper, it's a crash. Why oh why is it on the record? Yes I know the Stones are successful at music, and that I should not offer them advice. But Tattoo You would have been so much better without this shouting crass song.

Rod

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 18, 2015 16:38

I have to admit that I always liked, almost LOVED this funny little noise-rocker. Not really a great song but back then it was great fun playing it loud in my walkman. Still like this track very much.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 18, 2015 16:42

Great video clip...thats about it

Date: September 18, 2015 16:42

I think Neighbours goes well with Hang Fire, Little T+A and Black Limousine. It sort of sums up the high octane «Side A» before we're in for more mellow music on the other side...

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: September 18, 2015 16:50

It works for me.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: September 19, 2015 04:58

Lord help me. Stupid song

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: September 19, 2015 05:24

Green Lady
For non-Londoners, "trouble and strife" is Cockney rhyming slang for "wife". Adds an extra level of meaning to that line.

Thank you!

Posted by: OldSoul ()
Date: September 19, 2015 05:33

I've always LOVED this track. The bar band feel, the lyrics, the melody... It just makes me happy. I never noticed the similarities to Send it to Me before, but I love that song too.
As much as I love the TY track, the version on Live at Leeds and this demo are better. (The guitars really go nuts here.)
video: [youtu.be]

The sunshine bores the daylights out of me.

Date: September 19, 2015 07:22

OldSoul
and this demo are better. (The guitars really go nuts here.)

Wow! The vocal is the same take as TY, or maybe this was the original and
TY was sped up a hair, but it's the same vocal track. Guitars all over the place, love it, drums lower in the mix, but Ronnie's TY solo is still there. Still wondering if this is the original vocal that they sped up for TY, or if it's slowed down here. I'm guessing this was the original and they sped it up for TY.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 19, 2015 18:45

keefriff99
LeonidP
keefriff99

I emailed Clearmountain asking why there are no cymbals in the front half of the song. No response yet.

Date: September 19, 2015 18:48

carlorossi
OldSoul
and this demo are better. (The guitars really go nuts here.)

Wow! The vocal is the same take as TY, or maybe this was the original and
TY was sped up a hair, but it's the same vocal track. Guitars all over the place, love it, drums lower in the mix, but Ronnie's TY solo is still there. Still wondering if this is the original vocal that they sped up for TY, or if it's slowed down here. I'm guessing this was the original and they sped it up for TY.

That's the LP version with all the working tracks up, a work mix. Clearly more work was done on the guitars. It's slow because of the source, not because they sped it up. There's another one on youtube that is the regular speed. And there's another on of a different take altogether, at least as I recall.

Date: September 19, 2015 18:49

I love this song. It's one of my faves. It kicks. And a perfect ending for side 1 of TY. This song, along with Hang Fire, is on many playlist compilations that I've made.

Date: September 19, 2015 18:57

GasLightStreet
keefriff99
LeonidP
keefriff99

I emailed Clearmountain asking why there are no cymbals in the front half of the song. No response yet.
Ah yes...that's another off-putting aspect of the song...no high hat for the first half. There's just the slightest hint of Charlie lightlly clapping the high hat to keep time, but other than that, it's just snare and bass drum.

Date: September 19, 2015 18:59

keefriff99
GasLightStreet
keefriff99
LeonidP
keefriff99

Ah yes...that's another off-putting aspect of the song...no high hat for the first half. There's just the slightest hint of Charlie lightlly clapping the high hat to keep time, but other than that, it's just snare and bass drum.

As far as I can recall there is no other Stones song where this occurs. It's brilliant, really. Listen to the working mixes and then the LP version and it makes sense - it was cluttered, too busy.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 19, 2015 19:04

GasLightStreet
keefriff99
LeonidP
keefriff99

No answer because you are asking the wrong guy. Clearmountain is a great mixer but I doubt he would ever eliminate something like that from a mix. The likely reason they aren't there is because Charlie never played them in the first place.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 19, 2015 19:32

Awful song...sounds like what it is, the Stones trying to be punk. No redeeming features for me.

Posted by: OldSoul ()
Date: September 19, 2015 21:45

For reference, here's another mix that has more sax.
I disagree that this or the one I posted earlier use the same vocal from the album. At the end of both, Mick says, "Do unto neighbours, what you do to your wife." He never says that on the album. Anyway...

The sunshine bores the daylights out of me.

Date: September 20, 2015 00:45

OldSoul
I disagree that this or the one I posted earlier use the same vocal from the album. At the end of both, Mick says, "Do unto neighbours, what you do to your wife." He never says that on the album. Anyway...

Thx for the extra vid! I don't hear the "wife" part on the one you posted earlier, but I do hear it here. It sounds like it was mixed in from a separate vocal track. Meaning, the main vocal track has Mick singing, "Your..." over and over, and they seem to have dumped "wife" on there from a separate track. But to my trained ears, this is also the same vocal performance we get on TY, it just has the wife thing added on. Jagger's performance in this tune, with all its growliness and screaming and cockney touches would be impossible for him to duplicate so exactly on both cuts. If you go back and listen to the TY version, then the one you posted earlier, and this one, every little syllable, spacing, growl, etc, is identical (except the one you posted before is played back a bit slower.

Date: September 20, 2015 02:49

Naturalust
GasLightStreet
keefriff99
LeonidP
keefriff99

No answer because you are asking the wrong guy. Clearmountain is a great mixer but I doubt he would ever eliminate something like that from a mix. The likely reason they aren't there is because Charlie never played them in the first place.

I take it you haven't listened to any of the working mixes of Neighbours. You should listen to them. Then you'd understand why Clearmountain left them OUT of the mix until the latter portion of the song.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1280
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home