Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 7 of 12
Re: You guys are REALLY missing the point with the setlists...
Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 28, 2013 13:44

....screw the set lists....the real news is that they have obviously made a decision to go balls out and use anyone to sell tickets..any tickets in the States....Katy Perry and Carrie Underwood...that's the real point.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 28, 2013 14:18

I have been to many shows, in fact most of them, including those shows where they play rare songs for the first and only time ever. So I am a lucky guy... But that told me something. When they do play these rare songs, the crowd is totally silent. And Mick simply hates it when there is no interaction with the crowd. No fedback. No reaction. "Blank faces" as he calls it. Sure there will be a few hundred or even thosuand hard core fans scattered around who are very very happy, but the BIG CROWD there and then could not care less.

I don't think Mick feels he is in a "setlist prison". I am not a musician, but I like to repeat. It is human to do what you are good at. Keith loves to do the same songs every night. He could change as much as he likes, but he rarely changes. I am sure the same goes for Mick. Ronnie and Charlie play what they are told.

I think it is time to stop the desperate search for a band that does not exist. The Stones have been performing their big hits for 50 years, and we should be happy they are still around. Toronto got "Angie" and "Street Fighting Man". First time this tour on the main stage. I don't spend much energy on worrying about what is coming up next really. Every new show is a gift. Life is to short to worry about set lists.

Bjornulf

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 28, 2013 14:19

Rstones24
Wow. My first post on IORR and I'm called a punk. I guess you were never 25. Sorry for bothering you.

Some people are born and then go straight to 73.

I got called a first year punk once (then kicked hard in the shin).

I was 11.

This was in 1970 (before punks were born).

I cried on the way home.

I was a soft git.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-28 14:19 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 28, 2013 14:28

bv
I have been to many shows, in fact most of them, including those shows where they play rare songs for the first and only time ever. So I am a lucky guy... But that told me something. When they do play these rare songs, the crowd is totally silent. And Mick simply hates it when there is no interaction with the crowd. No fedback. No reaction. "Blank faces" as he calls it. Sure there will be a few hundred or even thosuand hard core fans scattered around who are very very happy, but the BIG CROWD there and then could not care less.

I don't think Mick feels he is in a "setlist prison". I am not a musician, but I like to repeat. It is human to do what you are good at. Keith loves to do the same songs every night. He could change as much as he likes, but he rarely changes. I am sure the same goes for Mick. Ronnie and Charlie play what they are told.

I think it is time to stop the desperate search for a band that does not exist. The Stones have been performing their big hits for 50 years, and we should be happy they are still around. Toronto got "Angie" and "Street Fighting Man". First time this tour on the main stage. I don't spend much energy on worrying about what is coming up next really. Every new show is a gift. Life is to short to worry about set lists.

Ahhhh, 'you've' got to try bv, after all, maybe, it was your sticky thread "We want Mick Taylor on more songs please" that produced LA -2..........???

How about a "we want these 5 songs deleted from the playlist" sticky?..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-28 14:48 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 28, 2013 14:33

bv
I don't spend much energy on worrying about what is coming up next really. Every new show is a gift. Life is to short to worry about set lists.

Splendid.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: May 28, 2013 14:34

I wouldn't expect any objectivity from a man who finds himself in the pit every night. Don't bite the hand that feeds.

I think there is a valuable lesson to be learned here. Don't be too passionate about a band. Don't travel to see them. Don't tell your friends how great they are. Don't buy their new stuff when the "average fan" doesn't bother to. Your loyalty will rarely, if ever, be rewarded. Just enjoy them for what they are -- a greatest hits band that lost their balls long ago.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 28, 2013 14:45

fahthree
I wouldn't expect any objectivity from a man who finds himself in the pit every night. Don't bite the hand that feeds.

I think there is a valuable lesson to be learned here. Don't be too passionate about a band. Don't travel to see them. Don't tell your friends how great they are. Don't buy their new stuff when the "average fan" doesn't bother to. Your loyalty will rarely, if ever, be rewarded. Just enjoy them for what they are -- a greatest hits band that lost their balls long ago.

correct

Date: May 28, 2013 15:15

I have not seen any consensus on one single "big hits" Stones song people want to take away. So rather than asking for five songs, please mention just one of the regulars who should go. And when it is gone it is gone. That is the price to pay if you want them to play something else. You know Mick can not add any new songs unless he knows what to take away.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 28, 2013 15:36

I think everyone mentioned Honky Tonk Women and most mentioned Miss You and It's Only Rock and Roll. So I guess we have a consensus there, BV. But you now, as well as I, that Mick is not going to listen to that. And no one here demanded the songs to be taken away forever. Just a little more rotation in the second half of the setlist I guess.

Date: May 28, 2013 15:41

bv
I have not seen any consensus on one single "big hits" Stones song people want to take away. So rather than asking for five songs, please mention just one of the regulars who should go. And when it is gone it is gone. That is the price to pay if you want them to play something else. You know Mick can not add any new songs unless he knows what to take away.

lol....small poll but 3/5 voted for these straight off....

Miss you
Tumbling Dice
IORR
Sympathy
Start Me Up

+ the other two voted for Miss you, Start me up and IORR...(amongst other songs)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-28 15:42 by EddieByword.

Date: May 28, 2013 15:49

Stoneage
And no one here demanded the songs to be taken away forever. Just a little more rotation in the second half of the setlist I guess.

He's just going to extremes. Diehards don't want a full show of obscure tunes.

The Stones themselves have rotated the hits. Miss You was rare on Licks. They've always rotated IORR in and out.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 28, 2013 16:00

bv

So, Mick hates it when people tune in; He is more comfortable when they are jumping around, partying and not paying attention? I have seen in interviews where he and Keith both remarked how the 69' tour was the end of hysteria and people were in the deats.....listening. The majority of the fanbase is over forty, we aren't inclined, nor do we wish to look foolish, acting like teenagers. We rock out, we have fun, but we aren't 16. It's quite sad when a 70 year old chooses hysterical teens over the people who made him famous.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 28, 2013 16:14

fahthree
Stoneage
And no one here demanded the songs to be taken away forever. Just a little more rotation in the second half of the setlist I guess.

He's just going to extremes. Diehards don't want a full show of obscure tunes.

The Stones themselves have rotated the hits. Miss You was rare on Licks. They've always rotated IORR in and out.

I for one would love to hear IORR, but played properly, like the Foo Fighters with MJ on SNL.

I don't mind different performance versions of songs, but we get the same 'vegas lounge style' of this and Satisfaction and others over and over again.

I'd love it if they would play it the way they recorded it...'the way it was meant to be heard'.

Posted by: ohotos ()
Date: May 28, 2013 16:30

Rip This
....screw the set lists....the real news is that they have obviously made a decision to go balls out and use anyone to sell tickets..any tickets in the States....Katy Perry and Carrie Underwood...that's the real point.

In my opinion they don't even use the special guests as a way to sell more tickets, they announce them very late before the shows. To me it looks more like a celebration and they give some of their fans the opportunity to shere the stage with them. I don't care for Gaga, K. Perry or Carrie Underwood. Underwood on IORR was OK, she didn't destroy the song but didn't add anything to it either - however she looked like she was having the time of her life living a moment like that.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 28, 2013 16:45

ohotos
Rip This

In my opinion they don't even use the special guests as a way to sell more tickets, they announce them very late before the shows. To me it looks more like a celebration and they give some of their fans the opportunity to shere the stage with them. I don't care for Gaga, K. Perry or Carrie Underwood. Underwood on IORR was OK, she didn't destroy the song but didn't add anything to it either - however she looked like she was having the time of her life living a moment like that.

I just watch the Underwood video. She started out okay but then got totally perplexed lol. I'm not sure what happened but there came a point where she couldn't hang with Mick. Jagger took her to the side and gave her a hip bump that nearly threw her to the pit. Then she started to clap her hands like Mick....when in Rome. I don't know if they discussed the song beforehand but Carrie was handed Rolling Stones lesson 101. I'd have to give her a C.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 28, 2013 16:53

bv

Miss You is currently on a 35 year run. That puts it second only to JJF, HTW and BS. I don't think anyone has it ranked that way. I am not even sure BS was consistantly, evry show, every tour, played as much. How many disco fans does it draw these days?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 28, 2013 17:16

Yes, please send "Miss You" packing. If they really need a dance song there are others to choose from and less played. Also, I agree with treaclefingers on his opinion of iorr. That SNL version rocked hard! BV is right to a certain degree. But I really don't think us "hard core"s are asking for too many rarities, or a full setlist of them. A few would do nicely. And why can't they add Mick T. on more songs? I suppose somebody can dream up a great reason not to. And yes, we are kind of lucky to have any performances at all. But some of us have paid a huge price, not just ticket cost, but travel and time off from work. These are a few regular things, but how about the ticket scandals that make it hard for the serious fan to get a good field position or inside the tongue. This makes the whole experience less enjoyable. Seems they could meet us half way on some things. Personally I believe most of the complaining is coming from people that care and want The Stones to have the best 50th Anniversary Tour possible. Instead they're bashed, not everyone has the same opinion, and unless they are being difficult about it why not be curious about objectivity? Or should I say "constructive criticism".

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 28, 2013 17:24

Thrylan
bv

Miss You is currently on a 35 year run. That puts it second only to JJF, HTW and BS. I don't think anyone has it ranked that way. I am not even sure BS was consistantly, evry show, every tour, played as much. How many disco fans does it draw these days?

I vote they replace Miss You with Rain Fall Down

Date: May 28, 2013 17:36

I would vote to drop Miss You and slide Emotional Rescue into its slot. It's fresh compared to Miss You. When it started on Saturday I leaned over and expressed to my wife how much I hate that song.

Date: May 28, 2013 17:44

Maindefender
ohotos
Rip This

I just watch the Underwood video. She started out okay but then got totally perplexed lol. I'm not sure what happened but there came a point where she couldn't hang with Mick. Jagger took her to the side and gave her a hip bump that nearly threw her to the pit. Then she started to clap her hands like Mick....when in Rome. I don't know if they discussed the song beforehand but Carrie was handed Rolling Stones lesson 101. I'd have to give her a C.

I thought, ahhh, poor kid, completely star struck like a duckling trying to take it's cue...from Mick...
Still, not so poor really, that experience should stand her in good stead for the future..........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-28 17:44 by EddieByword.

I do not need Miss You, but I think Mick loves it and how he is working the crowd on it. In Toronto he did actually stop the entire band and they left it to the crowd to sing parts of Miss You. On what other songs does that happen?

I work with smaller crowds myself, conferences training and so on. Not thousands but anything from 10-200. There is nothjng worse than blank faces. When you don't get ANY feedback on what you do. It is a nighmare. You work hard and you try to get a nod or a smile, but they do all look down and don't want to make any eye contact. So you feel what you do is fantastic, you love your work, but nobody is giving you any response. I have seen a few of those shows too. One of them was in Toronto. Not on this tour but some time ago. Then Mick gave up half-way in the show. Sad.

Bjornulf

Stoneage
I think everyone mentioned Honky Tonk Women and most mentioned Miss You and It's Only Rock and Roll. So I guess we have a consensus there

Wrong, I don't want to miss any of them.

-------------------

Date: May 28, 2013 17:47

frankotero
Yes, please send "Miss You" packing.

No, please don't. It is one of my favourites.

-------------------

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: May 28, 2013 17:48

bv
please mention just one of the regulars who should go. And when it is gone it is gone. That is the price to pay if you want them to play something else.

A bit extreme that, innit?

I mean, couldn't they play some songs one night and some other songs another night?

They could play more than 21 songs, too. I'm not suggesting that they play 3 hours either: we don't always need a 7 minute version of Miss You, and 9 minute versions of JJF, and Satisfaction--JJF on Brussels Affair is 3:14, on Ya Yas it's 3:35 and these versions seem to be well-received by a at least a few fans.

Cheers,

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-28 17:49 by camper88.

Date: May 28, 2013 17:49

Do Rocks off><Silver Train><Jumping jack flash as an encore....he won't have to worrying about blank faces as he won't be able to see them, everyone will be down looking for their socks......(English expression - Good? It blew me socks off)............................smileys with beer

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: May 28, 2013 18:02

Springsteen didn't play Rosalita at my concert!
Truth-but just kidding.
Nothing like GA at a Springsteen concert, by the way.

Yes! I agree 100%.
Mick has already said the same thing too.
I was just as smart when I was 25.
I think. I don't remember.
All those dead brain cells from the '60's.grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-28 18:09 by WindyHorses.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: May 28, 2013 18:09

bv
I do not need Miss You, but I think Mick loves it and how he is working the crowd on it.

That's clear, and hard to argue. The crowd definitely responds to Miss You.

You know what else the crowd responds to?

Rambler.

And here's the funny thing: Rambler wasn't a disco hit. It wasn't a hit at all, it wasn't even a single. It's studio version is a swampy, deep-cut, basic blues tune sandwiched between much more seemingly audience-friendly songs like GS, Live With Me, Monkey Man, and YCAGGYW, etc. But the Stones took this unlikely red-headed stepchild of a song and turned it into what is nothing less than the centrepiece of their concert today.
That's what they can do, if they put their mind to it (and Mick Taylor's fingers).

I have the confidence in the band to say I think that they can do this with other songs, however I don't have the naiveté to think that they will do the work that's needed. (Parachute Woman would be a nice place to try, just saying).

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-28 18:17 by camper88.

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: May 28, 2013 18:15

I am 25 too and have to agree with you Rstones24...I enjoy every show they do and I saw multiple shows of one tour. they always surprise me with good songs.

Date: May 28, 2013 18:20

treaclefingers
JumpinJackOLantern
Rstones24
camper88
Rstones24

Here is a link to the setlists from every Paul McCartney show. . . .

Yes, he changes it up every tour . . .

Wait, what?

He changes it up? Every tour?

And he's approaching 40 songs a night?

Yeah, I'd take that deal from the Stones.

Mind you, changes maybe 20%-25% of his concerts. Believe me...the classic songs are ALWAYS played with Paul. Band on the Run, Back in the USSR, Elanor Rigby, All My Loving, Ob La Di, Helter Skelter, The End, Get Back, Hey Jude, Let it Be, Live or Let Die, Blackbird, Maybe I'm Amazed, Let me Roll It, Yesterday, and several more,...they're all played every single tour. He plays more songs so he has a few more obscurities thrown in.

You are correct. His formula isn't a whole lot different than the Stones. They play the hits. Most people that come to see McCartney are really coming to get a piece of the Beatles. That's why if the sons of the Beatles ever come together they would be a world wide sensation. That's a real tough pill for some around here to swallow, just like the Stones fighting for lower ticket prices. They just refuse to accept it.

JumpinJackOLantern...your StonesKidsLondonStreetRule slip is showing.

Does he support a Sons of the Beatles movement?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 28, 2013 18:25

BV, I'm always struck by your wisdom and fandom, but I have to respectfully disagree on the "blank faces" issue. Reason is a lot of those people (myslef included) are listening and paying close attention to the band. Personally I don't like to jump around or shout too much as it's distracting even to myself. Everyone reacts differently and I'm (mostly) patient with the wilder fans, but I have my limits. Some would say don't go to concerts, that would be an easy solution, but I could say the same to them. Anyhow, neither is right, ultimately coexistance is the only solution if we all want to be there. Long story short I believe Mick and other musicians know there are people like me, and some may even like it. However, I can see dancing to a song like "Miss You" rather than listening contently. On the subject of setlists and hard core fans maybe there could be special concerts with tickets exclusively sold to maniac fans. In this case there wouldn't be any reason to cater to the casual fans. This may be difficult but if they're really interested in satisfying serious fans they could find a way to do it. Just a thought.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 7 of 12

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2139
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home