Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 36
Re: The Greatest Ron Wood Solos
Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 30, 2014 18:44

Doxa
Powerage
We would need 150 pages for Mick Taylor ones...>grinning smiley<

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Isn't it funny: already 14 pages about 'Great Solos' that even don't exist. grinning smiley

They exist if you listen...

I posted a 5 minute solo of YCAGWYW, and you didn't bother listening or saying anything. Why post, then?

Well, what I like about this thread is that Ron Wood is talked in this forum (and not about his personal life, etc.). Basically it is that there is about 15 thread about Taylor against one of Wood...

But, of course, talking about "greatest Ron Wood solos", this thread would never had reached 16 pages without 'Taylorite invasion'. There is a lot of 'Wood apologism' involved.... Just from the beginining.

Actually, this thread is almost one year old, and I do recall when this appeared.. it was in the middle of biggest Taylor hysteria that took place during 50 AND COUNTING TOUR ("More Taylor Please", etc.)... actually, now when I checked it, it was about a week after Staples concert when Taylor simply exploded Rolling Stones fan universe ("Sway", "Knocking"), and a day after Toronto concert, when people were crying out their disappointment of Taylor's role had been reduced. Of course, that was a 'right' time to discuss Wood's best solos... Provacation, no....eye rolling smiley

Just saying...

- Doxa
Baiting..

Date: April 30, 2014 18:45

It's a different great. But I won't lecture people with "higher" standards...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 30, 2014 18:57

In these cases "greatness" is in the ears of the beholder only.

Let us not forget that we are discussing huge artists here, people that are in history books of rock and roll.

C

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 30, 2014 19:13

Stoneburst
71Tele
I think every time DP posts a Ron Wood solo from a song like Angie or YCAGWYW (or any other song where Taylor did it before him) he actually weakens his case, because the comparison is never favorable to Wood. Some of these solos are good, I don't think any are "great". Maybe my standard of "great" is different.

This is surely the point - the arguments in this thread are all at cross purposes. Do any of these solos exhibit a Taylor-esque level of virtuosity? No, not at all. Do some of them sound really good regardless? Yes, they do. I enjoyed the Knebworth Hot Stuff above, for instance, and all those mid-70s versions of Brown Sugar have nice licks and awesome Strat tone. Inevitability aside, I think it's perfectly legitimate to lament Taylor's departure and to compare his playing with Ronnie's (Brian, after all, never left the Stones with a significant body of idiosyncratic guitar playing; Taylor did, and so Ronnie was obliged to follow Taylor's lead to a point, a problem the latter himself never had). I also think it's quite legitimate to enjoy Ronnie's playing regardless - when his playing's good enough. And this is surely the point: posting these solos may invite a comparison with Taylor, but it invites just as pointed a comparison with the player Ronnie has since become. I can't help noticing a distinct lack of solos from recent tours in this thread. Let's not forget that a lot of fans want Taylor back in the band full time on account of Ronnie repeatedly playing like crap as much as Taylor's own brilliance: indeed, the possibility was raised many times on this board before the release of Plundered My Soul was even a twinkle in Mick Jagger's eye.

I like them too. I just don't think they are "great", using the standards of greatness set by the Stones themselves. I know certain people just want to keep this about great Ron Wood solos. However, this is a band with a history we are talking about and solos don't exist in a vacuum. Every time a solo from a song Taylor played previously is posted, it cannot help but invite comparison. Now, whether or not you think the comparison is favorable is another issue, and as I have said, reasonable people can disagree.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-30 19:14 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: April 30, 2014 19:28

71Tele
I like them too. I just don't think they are "great", using the standards of greatness set by the Stones themselves. I know certain people just want to keep this about great Ron Wood solos. However, this is a band with a history we are talking about and solos don't exist in a vacuum. Every time a solo from a song Taylor played previously is posted, it cannot help but invite comparison. Now, whether or not you think the comparison is favorable is another issue, and as I have said, reasonable people can disagree.

I think we're just finding slightly different ways to make the same points - this is pretty much my view as well. Like I said, I can't listen to the Stones post-Taylor without missing his contributions to some degree. How much I miss his playing just varies according to how well (or badly) Ronnie plays, and indeed how the band plays.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 30, 2014 19:36

But there is greatness. And Ronnie doesn't provide it. He doesn't have it, he never did. I love the 75/76 stuff and LYL is great but it's not comparable to Taylor. What Ronnie did on BS in 1975 and 1976 was a great, an almost new solo, partly based on Taylor, but in all a new rendition. Not great every time of course (which could be said of Taylor, he rarely missed) but the edited version on LYL is great.

The difference is that I feel I could probably have taken Ronnies place in the band. I could never ever have provided anything close to Taylor. Taylor could surprise the band and take them to a new high in studio or live. If I'd hire a guitar player to a band, Id pick Taylor over Wood, it's not even up to debate. Anybody would have done that. Ronnie didn't replace Taylor, he was part of a new rhythm section more or less. Ollie Brown is the real deal in 1975-1977. He changed the sound in a good way.

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: April 30, 2014 19:41

71Tele
I think every time DP posts a Ron Wood solo from a song like Angie or YCAGWYW (or any other song where Taylor did it before him) he actually weakens his case, because the comparison is never favorable to Wood. Some of these solos are good, I don't think any are "great". Maybe my standard of "great" is different.

Perfectly said... No comparaison at all.

Taylor = Magic / Wood = standard, acceptable

Date: April 30, 2014 19:56

That's right, Powerage (even though you don't understand it yourself, obviously). There is no reason for any comparison. None at all...

Posted by: TonyMo ()
Date: April 30, 2014 23:00

DoomandGloom
If you watch Wood's CYHMK it says it all, 10 thousand dollar strat, greatest drummer for any guitar solo, Keith, Bobby, custom Fender amps, simply can't navigate through his instrument.
Oh how right! How absolutely RIGHT.
Compare that tripe to this stunning magnificence.

As for favorite solo's from Ron Wood. I'm somewhat perplexed that Ron Wood ever got the chance to solo. After all, there were scores of people who could've done a better job at replacing the irreplaceable Mick Taylor. And that's what happened...nobody wanted to try and fill those shoes. Mick and Keith couldn't find anybody else but Woody... probably because no one dared think they could replicate the sheer genius of a Mick Taylor solo. I think they finally asked Ron Wood and Woody (being sub-par) was so sub-par he couldn't recognize what he was getting himself into. Did Ron Wood really think that writing a few iconic songs, playing a few iconic solo's and being the only guitar player in a somewhat ordinary band bereft of talent was going to make him anything other than a dull soloist in the world's greatest rock n roll band?

I understand that Mick Taylor is an entirely different boat than Ron Wood or Keith Richards. A visionary virtuoso, Taylor combined the use of a major second to minor third triplet (for example D-C-A in the key of A or C for those of you who lack musical knowledge-I play violin and can read music)and angelic trilling with a stunning emphasis of the downbeat to craft a style unparalleled by any other guitarist in a world famous band. It is very epitome of challenge to float the entirety of nearly all his epic solo's on the 72 and 73 tours on the back of the aforementioned inventions, but Taylor's genius allowed him to manage it somehow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-30 23:02 by TonyMo.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 30, 2014 23:20

HOW CAN SOME OF YA THINK THE '71 VERSION OF LET IT ROCK IS BETTER THAN THE '78 ONE??????

THE '78 ONE IS 100000 TIMES BETTER, ESPECIALLY CHARLIE AND WYMAN IS BRINGING SO MUCH MORE TO THE LATER ONE.

IT AIN'T SLOPPY, IT'S SLEEAAAZZY, ROLLIN', FU***IN STONES!!!!

PLEASE LISTEN AND COMPARE AGAIN.

Date: April 30, 2014 23:26

TonyMo
DoomandGloom
If you watch Wood's CYHMK it says it all, 10 thousand dollar strat, greatest drummer for any guitar solo, Keith, Bobby, custom Fender amps, simply can't navigate through his instrument.
Oh how right! How absolutely RIGHT.
Compare that tripe to this stunning magnificence.

As for favorite solo's from Ron Wood. I'm somewhat perplexed that Ron Wood ever got the chance to solo. After all, there were scores of people who could've done a better job at replacing the irreplaceable Mick Taylor. And that's what happened...nobody wanted to try and fill those shoes. Mick and Keith couldn't find anybody else but Woody... probably because no one dared think they could replicate the sheer genius of a Mick Taylor solo. I think they finally asked Ron Wood and Woody (being sub-par) was so sub-par he couldn't recognize what he was getting himself into. Did Ron Wood really think that writing a few iconic songs, playing a few iconic solo's and being the only guitar player in a somewhat ordinary band bereft of talent was going to make him anything other than a dull soloist in the world's greatest rock n roll band?

I understand that Mick Taylor is an entirely different boat than Ron Wood or Keith Richards. A visionary virtuoso, Taylor combined the use of a major second to minor third triplet (for example D-C-A in the key of A or C for those of you who lack musical knowledge-I play violin and can read music)and angelic trilling with a stunning emphasis of the downbeat to craft a style unparalleled by any other guitarist in a world famous band. It is very epitome of challenge to float the entirety of nearly all his epic solo's on the 72 and 73 tours on the back of the aforementioned inventions, but Taylor's genius allowed him to manage it somehow.

Wow! What kind of music are you reading?? I want some!

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: April 30, 2014 23:29

QUOTE: "As for favorite solo's from Ron Wood. I'm somewhat perplexed that Ron Wood ever got the chance to solo. After all, there were scores of people who could've done a better job at replacing the irreplaceable Mick Taylor. And that's what happened...nobody wanted to try and fill those shoes. Mick and Keith couldn't find anybody else but Woody... probably because no one dared think they could replicate the sheer genius of a Mick Taylor solo. I think they finally asked Ron Wood and Woody (being sub-par) was so sub-par he couldn't recognize what he was getting himself into. Did Ron Wood really think that writing a few iconic songs, playing a few iconic solo's and being the only guitar player in a somewhat ordinary band bereft of talent was going to make him anything other than a dull soloist in the world's greatest rock n roll band?"

What a bunch of BS. Thousands of people wanted to be Ronnie joining the Stones. He fit's the bill, musically and stylishly.

Would you have gotten some kno*head that looked like Bill Gates or Van Morrison just because they could read notes and play like virtuoses?
It's Rock n Roll for f***'s sake. Yes, Taylor is a better guitarist and thank God he was in the band between 69-74, but Ronnie does not deserve to be slagged off by a bunch of people who doesn't understand what Rock n Roll is about. He deserves to have a thread about his best instrumental moments in his years as a Rolling Stone without rubbish like "he can't play" I still wait for peole to discuss what DP and me and others have contributed.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 30, 2014 23:38

Be nice DP! winking smiley I had a similar thought but realized that I really didn't want to try to fathom the explanation. I just decided it would be safer to conclude that I must not have paid as much attention in my music theory classes as I thought I did.

Peace,
Mr DJA

On a side note: Have you seen the thread regarding the picture of the tuners on Keith's Tele? Any thoughts?

Date: April 30, 2014 23:52

mr_dja
Be nice DP! winking smiley I had a similar thought but realized that I really didn't want to try to fathom the explanation. I just decided it would be safer to conclude that I must not have paid as much attention in my music theory classes as I thought I did.

Peace,
Mr DJA

On a side note: Have you seen the thread regarding the picture of the tuners on Keith's Tele? Any thoughts?

He he, yeah it probably was a bit out of line smiling smiley

I've seen that pic before, but I don't know the brand of the peg holder, nor its function..

Date: May 1, 2014 00:04

Deluxtone
DandelionPowderman
I don't think the Stones with Brian was a "tight" band. With Taylor they defined roles, like the other rock/classic rock acts that lead to a more common sound, imo.

With Ronnie, they got more back to the Brian days (from 1978), but it is a mistake to judge that sound solely as "loose". IMO, there is nothing tighter than a group of musicians that trade licks, with a swinging bassist and a rock solid drummer to keep the rhythm down - like the Stones on Whip and Imagination in 1981.

Yes, the template is loose per se, but the results could be invinsible rhythm and blues.

PS: When Ronnie joined, they still had the defined roles, although they loosened up a bit on the Euro leg, and started the infamous weaving.

Dear Dandy,

With Keith and Brian the roles were defined - Keith lead, brian Rhythm - except when Brian played slide.

With Keith/Taylor it was only by '73 that Keith was mainly Rhythm and Taylor mainly lead. But '69 (especially) through to '72 (less especially) it was dual guitar approach.

With Ronnie they did not get back closer to Brian days. '78 is nothing like '67. That's my point. They opened a new chapter. The really good numbers from the '76 tour and the '78 tour are the Black and Blue numbers and the SG numbers.

If you compare, for example, Let It Rock from '71 with same number from '78 (eg Texas) then not only is Keith's lead and Berry riffs better in '71 but the whole band is tighter in '71 and Ronnie's solo slot in the '78 version is just some pointless Faces-style thrashing in comparison to Keith's approach. Just stick defined roles on that one.

They had some good new material in '78 - but still had one foot in the past.

'Whip' can be tight. Imaginatio in '81-82 was not so - nor intended to be so.

A group of musicians trading licks with a swinging bass is not necessarily, ipso facto, 'tight'. It can be. Or it can be a mess. Or something inbetween, Or nothing inparticular.

There is a relaxed and easy power to the Sympathy on Ya Yas. It is beguiling. It kicks off with Taylor's buoyant rhythm and then Charlie and Bill kick in, followed by Keith. They are in total sync. and they mean business. It just bulids and builds and builds. Such easy competence and focused, interconnected playing. When taylor is on rhythm his style is in perfect counterpoint to Keith's angular lead. Keith's more raucous rhythm complements Taylor's fluid exploratory weaving melodic journey. Bill and Charkie are relaxed and in sync 'knowing' (feeling) that the guitarists are on their game.

In '81-82 Bill is swinging well, Charlie is indeed solid - but are they in such close sync together? And though they are playing well it is often in spite of what the guitar department are doing, not because of it. I don't feel all four musicians are so bonded as a unit on many, many numbers.

I think that it is generally acknowledged that by the end of '81-82 Mick was pretty fed up with a guitar department often living in its own world. A lot to do with personal dynamics probably - with Keith and Ronnie having got a taste for doing their own thing in '79.

In '88 Mick got do the Stones his way - but it wasn't the Stones ofcourse.
However in '89-90 it was and I think we had Keith back on fine rhythm form and lead - just exalting in his excellence. Ronnie's role became more defined - but he excelled too. The band was a fully engaged unit again.

Ofcourse many think it became too scripted and controlled. The bigger shows with light sytems and video screen stuff just REQUIRE a lot of co-ordination and I'd rather that Mr Levell HAD NOT (edit) gradually become musical director instead of Keith and Mick together. But that's another story/thread.

Who ARE you ? Great post.thumbs up

One little mention in your post I just want to underline. "Sympathy" on Yay-Ya's swings so well. As does "Rambler". I mention this because I do not think Taylor is a weak rhythm player. How come the band sounds so incredibly swinging and tight when he was there? especially in those early SG days. H eplayed exavctly what was needed to fit in betweem Charlie's snare and hi-hat, Keith's slashing and Bill's rumbling downstairs.While I love Ronnie's style too, it is Taylor's dashes that swing.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 1, 2014 00:26

Tonymo, excellent. Thank you. Perkins and Mandel were considered and contributed. I think i know why they picked ronnie and it has nothing to do with skill. The thing is that he doesnt have the tricks up his sleeve. His solo on brown sugar lyl abbatoirs is good and i like it a lot though. Happy in 1972 and 1973 was stunning and thats partly thanks to taylor. I like the lyl version but frankly it sucked after taylor left despite the drugged out charm of 1975 1976 and 1978

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 1, 2014 00:30

I didn't go through all 17 pages so apologies if this has been posted already.

Not Stones, but 'ol Woody does a bang up job trading licks with Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin (NYC 2-13-75) It's starts off a little rough, after all it's an impromptu encore, because gets pretty tasty later on.

For Faces, I'll go with this

For the Stones, I actually quite like the YCAGWYW solos from 75/76.

This is quite good as well!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-01 00:31 by andrewt.

Date: May 1, 2014 00:32

Happy on LYL is great! What kind of kool aid have you been offered, Carpet? grinning smiley

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: May 1, 2014 01:24

I wonder why if no one wanted the job Black and Blue is a recorded testament of guitarists that went beyond a phone call or visit and sat down and made music with the group. Come on, Harvey Mandel and Wayne Perkins went so far as to record music with a band that they did not want to work with, that stretches my imagination to the limit. I always wonder what tempts someone to hang around a fan site for a group whose music they have not liked since 1975, and maybe before 1970. After 40 years of disappointment I think I pretty much would move on , but maybe that's just me, a quitter not a hater hahhahha.

I had forgotten about that Whip Comes Down solo on Sucking in the 70's, thanks for reminding me it...perfect raunch and roll to play loud on a crisp morning like today!

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 1, 2014 02:17

MadMax
HOW CAN SOME OF YA THINK THE '71 VERSION OF LET IT ROCK IS BETTER THAN THE '78 ONE??????

THE '78 ONE IS 100000 TIMES BETTER, ESPECIALLY CHARLIE AND WYMAN IS BRINGING SO MUCH MORE TO THE LATER ONE.

MadMax, convincing the doubters with his fearsome use of Caps Lock.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 1, 2014 02:32

MadMax

The announcer is the true star of the '75 version. It is great but I prefer the '71. YELL, BUT DON'T HIT!!

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: May 1, 2014 02:53

Madmax,

Re Let It Rock '71. I think it's keith all the way on the licks there.

That version is more powerful cos it's more relaxed and 'swinging'. It is keith-driven and the band slots in with him. AndJagger is not 'foced' in his vocals - he's relaxed too. I did listen to it before I made that post - I think that Taylor is doing a fairly unremarkable job on rhythm on that. (And before anyone starts criticising an unremarkable rhythm from Taylor - well there's Jones on the Last Time and Satisfaction. hardly groundbreaking - but all that is required.

You don't need to convince me about Bill and Charlie in '78 - or ever really. I just don't think the band is a tight unit. An odd choice of number for the punk era. So if you'll accept it's Keith all the way in '71 the compare his playing. '78 version is faster - and i still think there's nothing gripping at all about Ron's solo on it.

They should have done a Stooges' number in 1978, not a Berry one!
Summer Romance might have worked well in that slot - they just didn't have enough of their own 'punk' material at the time. (By the time they did, punk was over - and it was the 80s - partly why ER album was a bit 'confused - mixed - an interesting mix though).

Whip on Sucking is Ab Fab though.

Date: May 1, 2014 03:09

MadMax

Because it just is. '78 is loose and sloppy. '71 is smoking and dynamic. Not a wasted note.

Date: May 1, 2014 03:12

Palace Revolution 2000
Deluxtone
DandelionPowderman
I don't think the Stones with Brian was a "tight" band. With Taylor they defined roles, like the other rock/classic rock acts that lead to a more common sound, imo.

With Ronnie, they got more back to the Brian days (from 1978), but it is a mistake to judge that sound solely as "loose". IMO, there is nothing tighter than a group of musicians that trade licks, with a swinging bassist and a rock solid drummer to keep the rhythm down - like the Stones on Whip and Imagination in 1981.

Yes, the template is loose per se, but the results could be invinsible rhythm and blues.

PS: When Ronnie joined, they still had the defined roles, although they loosened up a bit on the Euro leg, and started the infamous weaving.

Dear Dandy,

With Keith and Brian the roles were defined - Keith lead, brian Rhythm - except when Brian played slide.

With Keith/Taylor it was only by '73 that Keith was mainly Rhythm and Taylor mainly lead. But '69 (especially) through to '72 (less especially) it was dual guitar approach.

With Ronnie they did not get back closer to Brian days. '78 is nothing like '67. That's my point. They opened a new chapter. The really good numbers from the '76 tour and the '78 tour are the Black and Blue numbers and the SG numbers.

If you compare, for example, Let It Rock from '71 with same number from '78 (eg Texas) then not only is Keith's lead and Berry riffs better in '71 but the whole band is tighter in '71 and Ronnie's solo slot in the '78 version is just some pointless Faces-style thrashing in comparison to Keith's approach. Just stick defined roles on that one.

A group of musicians trading licks with a swinging bass is not necessarily, ipso facto, 'tight'. It can be. Or it can be a mess. Or something inbetween, Or nothing inparticular.

There is a relaxed and easy power to the Sympathy on Ya Yas. It is beguiling. It kicks off with Taylor's buoyant rhythm and then Charlie and Bill kick in, followed by Keith. They are in total sync. and they mean business. It just bulids and builds and builds. Such easy competence and focused, interconnected playing. When taylor is on rhythm his style is in perfect counterpoint to Keith's angular lead. Keith's more raucous rhythm complements Taylor's fluid exploratory weaving melodic journey. Bill and Charkie are relaxed and in sync 'knowing' (feeling) that the guitarists are on their game.

In '81-82 Bill is swinging well, Charlie is indeed solid - but are they in such close sync together? And though they are playing well it is often in spite of what the guitar department are doing, not because of it. I don't feel all four musicians are so bonded as a unit on many, many numbers.

I think that it is generally acknowledged that by the end of '81-82 Mick was pretty fed up with a guitar department often living in its own world. A lot to do with personal dynamics probably - with Keith and Ronnie having got a taste for doing their own thing in '79.

However in '89-90 it was and I think we had Keith back on fine rhythm form and lead - just exalting in his excellence. Ronnie's role became more defined - but he excelled too. The band was a fully engaged unit again.

Ofcourse many think it became too scripted and controlled. The bigger shows with light sytems and video screen stuff just REQUIRE a lot of co-ordination and I'd rather that Mr Levell HAD NOT (edit) gradually become musical director instead of Keith and Mick together. But that's another story/thread.

One little mention in your post I just want to underline. "Sympathy" on Yay-Ya's swings so well. As does "Rambler". I mention this because I do not think Taylor is a weak rhythm player. How come the band sounds so incredibly swinging and tight when he was there? especially in those early SG days. H eplayed exavctly what was needed to fit in betweem Charlie's snare and hi-hat, Keith's slashing and Bill's rumbling downstairs.While I love Ronnie's style too, it is Taylor's dashes that swing.

Taylor being supposedly a bad rhythm player is a myth perpetuated by exactly one person here. He must be amazed that it hasn't gained traction. It must not have ocurred to him that people can actually listen for themselves and easily tell that it isn't true.

Date: May 1, 2014 03:14

MadMax
QUOTE: "As for favorite solo's from Ron Wood. I'm somewhat perplexed that Ron Wood ever got the chance to solo. After all, there were scores of people who could've done a better job at replacing the irreplaceable Mick Taylor. And that's what happened...nobody wanted to try and fill those shoes. Mick and Keith couldn't find anybody else but Woody... probably because no one dared think they could replicate the sheer genius of a Mick Taylor solo. I think they finally asked Ron Wood and Woody (being sub-par) was so sub-par he couldn't recognize what he was getting himself into. Did Ron Wood really think that writing a few iconic songs, playing a few iconic solo's and being the only guitar player in a somewhat ordinary band bereft of talent was going to make him anything other than a dull soloist in the world's greatest rock n roll band?"

What a bunch of BS. Thousands of people wanted to be Ronnie joining the Stones. He fit's the bill, musically and stylishly.

Would you have gotten some kno*head that looked like Bill Gates or Van Morrison just because they could read notes and play like virtuoses?
It's Rock n Roll for f***'s sake. Yes, Taylor is a better guitarist and thank God he was in the band between 69-74, but Ronnie does not deserve to be slagged off by a bunch of people who doesn't understand what Rock n Roll is about. He deserves to have a thread about his best instrumental moments in his years as a Rolling Stone without rubbish like "he can't play" I still wait for peole to discuss what DP and me and others have contributed.

I have listened, heard it, discussed it, and found it wanting.

Date: May 1, 2014 03:20

This was, is, and always will be the greatest Ron Wood solo. Not necessarily this particualr performance but the solo on this song. This was Ronnie Lane's last gig with the Faces, by the way.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 1, 2014 03:23

Palace Revolution 2000
Deluxtone
DandelionPowderman

Dear Dandy,

I totall agree ofcourse. A 'good' rhythm player doesn't have to be a loud one, or brash one, or have a distorted tone, or be agressive. He/she/it can be subtle and balancing allowing space for others. Taylor's sty;e is buoyant and he compliments Keith. He was tuned into Keith, especially in those earlier live years. Keith was the boss. Later Taylor would be more tuned into Jagger and using his lead to interplay with Mick's phrasing.

I particularly like Taylor's rhythm on Star Star (album). Maybe it's simple - but it does just the job - less is more.

(I mentioned his rhythm on Dylan's Neighbourhood Bully - he has a deft touch there too).

Who am I? A lesser Briton.A complete unknown. To myself too, I hasten to add! A Travelling Nowhere Monkey, (male the last time I looked). Similar vintage to Silver Dagger who also 'digs' the punk years (in UK).

And fortunate to have been a fan of the Stones and Faces as individual and distinct bands in my early teen years bfore they got linked in '74. To have seen the Faces emerge from nowhere and to have been gripped and glued to the radio not only by Brown Sugar but by Stay With Me. To have seen Ronnie emerge from seemingly nowhere (i.e. on the pop scene - The Faces were one of many teenybopper bands courtesy of Rod's appeal, (others being Slade and the glam acts) - to playing with Rock Roylaty at the Rainbow at Clapton's benefit gig in '73. It started with release of Maggie May in '71 really. Unfortunate to have experienced a lot of silly glam rubbish. But fortunate to have seen a Kilburn show.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-01 03:30 by Deluxtone.

Date: May 1, 2014 03:41

71Tele
This was, is, and always will be the greatest Ron Wood solo. Not necessarily this particualr performance but the solo on this song. This was Ronnie Lane's last gig with the Faces, by the way.

[www.youtube.com]

What a great clip Tele.

What a groove they had going. So relaxed and easy. A band at ease with itself - and its lead singer. (Ya Yas!).

I'd forgotten the strong appeal of Ronnie's style then - its joyousness and joie de vivre.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 1, 2014 04:26

Great clip of Faces,,, I saw them, great fun. Ronnie's Zemitis sounds great but nothing like a Les Paul as the guy who started this thread loves to argue.

Date: May 1, 2014 06:47

It's too bad that Ronnie joining one great band led to the immediate demise of another - The Faces, though it could be argued they were never the same after Ronnie Lane left. For my money though, the last touring version that included Jessie Ed Davis on 2nd guitar was outstanding. What a guitar section!

Here's a rare version of I Can Feel The Fire with the Faces. Nice solo too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-01 06:59 by 71Tele.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 36

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1312
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home