Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ian Stewart, Nicky Hopkins, Billy Preston, Ian Mclagan, Chuck Levell, Matt Clifford. Whos the best? who brought the most?
Posted by: Beast of Babylon ()
Date: May 20, 2013 05:49

I thought this might be an interesting topic....

First off - Ian Stewart was practically a stone from the beginning. God bless him....he could rock and roll.

Billy Preston- whose work on the let it be sessions (naked album) alone, make him a hall of famer. brought a whole different dynamic change to the band, putting the piano in a much more highly positioned place in the band.

Nicky- IMO- really didnt play much of a role, at his time the band was very guitar drive with Mick T

Mac- He could rock, he and Ian Stewart gelled so well together.

Chuck - Whatever i say here, people are going to hate on. I will say this though. when when keith gets tired and doesnt want to play the intro to Sweet Virginia, or if someone forgets a key, he's there. i think his biggest contribution to the band comes at rehearsal time. - No i dont think he is "musical director"

Matt Clifford- Nice guy, never fit in with the stones. the stuff on miss you and 2000 lightyears was ultra cheeseball. he did some great work on the bigger bang album. what i find crazy is that he is back on tour with them - if your going to get a horn player, get kent smith or michael davis and have them full time.

anyway, your thoughts......and please be easy on chuck lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-20 06:04 by Beast of Babylon.

Re: Ian Stewart, Billy Preston, Ian Mclagan, Chuck Levell, Matt Clifford. Whos the best? who brought the most?
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 20, 2013 05:52

Beast of Babylon

First off - Ian Stewart was practically a stone from the beginning. God bless him....he could rock and roll.

Billy Preston- whose work on the let it be sessions (naked album) alone, make him a hall of famer. brought a whole different dynamic change to the band, putting the piano in a much more highly positioned place in the band.

Chuck - Whatever i say here, people are going to hate on. I will say this though. when when keith gets tired and doesnt want to play the intro to Sweet Virginia, or if someone forgets a key, he's there. i think his biggest contribution to the band comes at rehearsal time. - No i dont think he is "musical director"

Matt Clifford- Nice guy, never fit in with the stones. the stuff on miss you and 2000 lightyears was ultra cheeseball. he did some great work on the bigger bang album. what i find crazy is that he is back on tour with them - if your going to get a horn player, get kent smith or michael davis and have them full time.

the short list has to be mac and stu. i find billy preston annoying and thought their live shows took quite a dive when he was touring with them (althought that's not based on actually attending any of those shows...)

Re: Ian Stewart, Billy Preston, Ian Mclagan, Chuck Levell, Matt Clifford. Whos the best? who brought the most?
Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 20, 2013 05:57

For a minute I thought you were discussing Stones keyboard players and left off Nicky Hopkins. I realized you meant, other than Nicky, of course.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: May 20, 2013 05:58

Stu and a Nicky.......levels a nice guy, but changed the sound for the worse
IMO.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 20, 2013 06:02

Ian Stewart

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 20, 2013 06:05

STU !

Re: Ian Stewart, Nicky Hopkins, Billy Preston, Ian Mclagan, Chuck Levell, Matt Clifford. Whos the best? who brought the most?
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: May 20, 2013 06:11

Nicky Hopkins best for Rock tunes
Stu blues tunes
Matt Clifford ..just the worst doing anything

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Re: Ian Stewart, Nicky Hopkins, Billy Preston, Ian Mclagan, Chuck Levell, Matt Clifford. Whos the best? who brought the most?
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 20, 2013 06:22

Stu, with an assist from Nicky on songs with Chinese chords.

Date: May 20, 2013 06:31

wait, you went back and edited the original post to make it seem like you didn't forget Hopkins? And then said he didn't play much of a role?

Listen to their work from Beggars Banquet through Exile.

I love what Stu did for the Stones, but Nicky could play what Stu played in his sleep.

You started a post about the best keyboard players and forgot the best one. And tried to cover it up, but one person quoted you before the change.

Date: May 20, 2013 06:34

sonomastone
Beast of Babylon

the short list has to be mac and stu. i find billy preston annoying and thought their live shows took quite a dive when he was touring with them (althought that's not based on actually attending any of those shows...)

I agree with this comment about Preston. Thankfully he's mixed down on LA Friday; on the boots from that period he's constantly popping up with annoying things in the music.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 20, 2013 06:35

obviously nicky hopkins is the best. i assumed this was for only the people listed in the original post. but then he changed it. in any case:

nicky hopkins.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: May 20, 2013 06:58

Sorry to disappoint you, but Chuck IS the musical director when they tour.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 20, 2013 07:22

Stu, then Nicky.....&%*## Chuck

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 20, 2013 07:29

Nicky, Stu, Billy...
All three added their own color. And had their own strengths. I am not too fond of what Billy did in 75/76, but the 73 tour he was fantastic. Nicky, I think, added more than just keyboard. He added a melody that Mick J could sing off of. Probably inspiring some of Mick's melodies in the songs. Stu was the boogie woogie piano king. And really, a true Rolling Stone.

Date: May 20, 2013 07:44

Rokyfan
wait, you went back and edited the original post to make it seem like you didn't forget Hopkins? And then said he didn't play much of a role?

I love what Stu did for the Stones, but Nicky could play what Stu played in his sleep.

You started a post about the best keyboard players and forgot the best one. And tried to cover it up, but one person quoted you before the change.

I did change it yes, i doubt its a "cover up" this is not HopkinsGate after all. as far as what i meant by the post, i was speaking in terms of live performances. it can be anyone in the studio and it will be perfected to how you want, to some extent, there are exceptions however

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 20, 2013 07:49

It's hard to believe Chuck was in the Allmans, I guess someone had to talk to the cops when they would get pulled over.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 20, 2013 07:54

Nicky Hopkins brought an elegance to their songs that no other pianist could touch. And he could rock out when he wanted!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 20, 2013 08:26

All vagabonds except for of course Stu...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 20, 2013 09:47

Beast of Babylon

Chuck says he is so there we go.

Anyway.. Nicky Hopkins and Ian Stewart.

End of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-20 09:51 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 20, 2013 09:55

Let us not forget the important contributions of Jack Nitzsche!

Date: May 20, 2013 13:37

Nicky, for musical reasons. Stu, for musical AND sentimental reasons.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: May 20, 2013 13:46

Nicky of course.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 20, 2013 17:50

1. Ian Stewart. In the early days Stu bought and drove the van, humped the gear, set it up, checked the power supply, told them when it was time to go stage.
He continued to fulfil a role that was part older brother, part friendly uncle.
Stewart contributed piano, organ, marimbas and percussion on many RS albums.
2. Nicky Hopkins contributed piano on many RS albums.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 20, 2013 17:58

CousinC
Nicky of course.

thumbs up

....and I should add/ask, is Loving Cup his finest moment on vinyl?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-20 18:00 by treaclefingers.

Date: May 20, 2013 17:58

Beast of Babylon
Rokyfan

I did change it yes, i doubt its a "cover up" this is not HopkinsGate after all. as far as what i meant by the post, i was speaking in terms of live performances. it can be anyone in the studio and it will be perfected to how you want, to some extent, there are exceptions however

Interesting. The quoted portion reveals you know nothing about keyboard playing, yet you started this thread. it can be anyone in the studio and they can just fix it up? I take it back, you know nothing about music. read the many responses on this thread from people who realize what Nicky Hopkins brought to their music. The rest of them together don't add up to him.

Posted by: cn854 ()
Date: May 20, 2013 18:03

Nicky and Bobby...............BAR NONE

Date: May 20, 2013 19:17

Rokyfan
Beast of Babylon
Rokyfan

Interesting. The quoted portion reveals you know nothing about keyboard playing, yet you started this thread. it can be anyone in the studio and they can just fix it up? I take it back, you know nothing about music. read the many responses on this thread from people who realize what Nicky Hopkins brought to their music. The rest of them together don't add up to him.

26 years of playing keyboards.....The point i was trying to make is that the stones have never been about major soloing or major standouts of other instruments than guitar on studio albums. IMO, its not like you can listen to those albums and go, WOW, listen to nicky play the piano.....where as you can say that live.... BTW dont appreciate the insults, have a little class

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 20, 2013 19:25

Beast of Babylon

26 years of playing keyboards.....The point i was trying to make is that the stones have never been about major soloing or major standouts of other instruments than guitar on studio albums. IMO, its not like you can listen to those albums and go, WOW, listen to nicky play the piano.....where as you can say that live.... BTW dont appreciate the insults, have a little class

Since when is a beast of babylon bothered by insults. And Nicky Hopkins was the best. Stu after him because so much of him is on the early recordings

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: May 20, 2013 19:30

DandelionPowderman

Same for me winking smiley
I will add a special mention to Ernie Watts.

HMN

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 20, 2013 19:35

Honestman
DandelionPowderman

Same for me winking smiley
I will add a special mention to Ernie Watts.

and what about Trevor Lawrence...is he special?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1568
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home