Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rod Stewart - Unplugged album question
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 16, 2013 09:29

Just bought the deluxe edition of Rod Stewart's Unplugged And Seated album. Excellent record and having just been on Howard, I've been listening to Rod a lot since Monday and realized I didn't have this in my collection, although I knew about it.

I'm looking on Wikipedia, and it appears that 4 songs from the concert were not included on the CD. Of these include Sweet Little Rock And Roller and Its All Over Now, two of my favorite Rod Stewart songs. The Wiki page doesn't actually say whether these were shown on TV and are available on the DVD, or if they were just played at the show and have never been released. Anyone hear know? I figure this album was a big enough seller that there might be a Rod Stewart fan that could tell me. Really appreciate it!

Re: Rod Stewart - Unplugged album question
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 16, 2013 09:40

I don't know, but I love that version of Cut Across Shorty

Date: May 16, 2013 10:01

BluzDude
I don't know, but I love that version of Cut Across Shorty
It certainly is. Truly an excellent album. Worthy acoustic versions of almost all of those songs (and that says a lot seeing as the studio versions are killer) and I don't know if there were any songs I didn't think sounded great. Can't believe I waited so long to add this to my collection.

Date: May 16, 2013 10:15

along with clapton, alice in chains, the eagles and maybe nirvana these were the best mtv unplugged concerts.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 16, 2013 10:37

As a Faces fan, it was GREAT to see Rod and Ronnie back together again.

But when you see the video, Woody is used as sort of a window dressing addition to Rod's group, and does not come across as the pivotal MVP that he was during Rod's Mercury years.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 16, 2013 10:56

keefriffhard4life
along with clapton, alice in chains, the eagles and maybe nirvana these were the best mtv unplugged concerts.

...Plus LL Cool J, believe it or not -
but that performance was never (officially) released.
There's snippets on Youtube, thoiugh; killer version of "Mama's gonna knock you out", a.o.)

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 16, 2013 11:45

RoughJusticeOnYa
keefriffhard4life

...Plus LL Cool J, believe it or not -
but that performance was never (officially) released.
There's snippets on Youtube, thoiugh; killer version of "Mama's gonna knock you out", a.o.)

Never knew he did Unplugged.
I'll check it out. I used to buy (and enjoy) every LL album. (I quit after Phenomenon, it was getting sad by that time)

Date: May 16, 2013 12:25

keefriffhard4life

Aerosmith also deserves a mention here, imo. I was taken a back by their acoustic set, although I'm not their greatest fan.

Date: May 16, 2013 13:02

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhard4life

Aerosmith also deserves a mention here, imo. I was taken a back by their acoustic set, although I'm not their greatest fan.

see i was only counting performances that got realsed on albums

Date: May 16, 2013 13:07

Ah, ok.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: May 16, 2013 13:40

Gasoline Alley, It's All Over Now and Sweet Little Rock'n Roller were used as B-sides to the three singles pulled of Unplugged And Seated.

Check here in 1993: [www.nzentgraf.de]

N

-
Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: May 16, 2013 15:32

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-19 19:52 by midnrambler.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 16, 2013 15:51

I always really enjoyed Macca's unplugged album as well.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 16, 2013 16:08

Stripped was pretty good too. smoking smiley

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: May 16, 2013 16:10

Ronnie Wood was actually writing songs in the Faces. He and Rod Stewart were a great song writing team that never gets the recognition it deserves. Ron is an excellent guitarist and he called his own shots in the Faces. He has to play within the confines of what Mick J and Keith have written and no real opportunity to stretch out and really show what he can do, especially with his own material. I have seen him with the Faces in Philly twice and they were HOT. I believe Rod Stewart and Wood are waiting this Stones tour to end and reform the Faces with the original members that are living. They have talked about it. I am looking forward to it!

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 16, 2013 17:39

midnrambler
NeddieFlanders
Gasoline Alley, It's All Over Now and Sweet Little Rock'n Roller were used as B-sides to the three singles pulled of Unplugged And Seated.

N

Does anyone have these non-album tracks?

yes, manyones do

Date: May 16, 2013 18:51

midnrambler
NeddieFlanders

N

Does anyone have these non-album tracks?
Thanks for the info. Yeah, I am looking for those B side tracks I guess so if anyone has them I would love to find a way to get them.

Date: May 17, 2013 00:19

I thought Reason To Believe was also particularly strong on the album.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 17, 2013 00:38

Here are some of the rarities...I don't think they played all of IAON did they?

[www.maximumsound.org]

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: May 17, 2013 02:15

Rolling Freak I can send you a wetransfer with all the bonus tracks if you want?

-
Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: May 17, 2013 11:54

-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-19 19:52 by midnrambler.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 17, 2013 12:40

I have those three CD singles. I have never seen them on video, though. Such a wonderful performance - and Rod's last really great moment. I still remember watching it on TV on vacation in an apartment in Honolulu and being amazed. The intimacy of the venue, along with Woody's presence, drew a tremendous performance from Rod - alternately joyous and contemplative, you could see the pride he was taking in his performance that night. It even shows in the selection of songs for the evening - it was clear to me that Rod understands perfectly well what his best songs are. Most of the numbers were from his first three albums; all of the songs from more recent albums (Tom Traubert's Blues, Have I told You Lately, People Get Ready, Forever Young) were impeccable choices. Overall, a tremendous performance and deservedly (but to the surprise of everyone) it was a commercial smash, with a top 5 single to boot (Have I told You Lately).

Date: May 17, 2013 13:02

drbryant
I have those three CD singles. I have never seen them on video, though. Such a wonderful performance - and Rod's last really great moment. I still remember watching it on TV on vacation in an apartment in Honolulu and being amazed. The intimacy of the venue, along with Woody's presence, drew a tremendous performance from Rod - alternately joyous and contemplative, you could see the pride he was taking in his performance that night. It even shows in the selection of songs for the evening - it was clear to me that Rod understands perfectly well what his best songs are. Most of the numbers were from his first three albums; all of the songs from more recent albums (Tom Traubert's Blues, Have I told You Lately, People Get Ready, Forever Young) were impeccable choices. Overall, a tremendous performance and deservedly (but to the surprise of everyone) it was a commercial smash, with a top 5 single to boot (Have I told You Lately).

i will admit it was a great choice of songs but i think you read too much into the fact he picked a lot of stuff fromm his first few albums. remember those first few albums were all pretty much unplugged and he dusted them off because it was an unplugged concert. rod did make mention in an interview once of a few newer songs he wanted to play but did not think they would work unplugged or did not have an arrangement for them. i recall him mentioning "downtown train", "my heart can tell you no, "the motown song" and "broken arrow". i think that was it.

Date: May 17, 2013 15:16

Mack Jigger
Rolling Freak I can send you a wetransfer with all the bonus tracks if you want?
That would be amazing if you had them! My email is RollingFreakStones@gmail.com . Yeah, I don't seem to know how to find them any other way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-17 15:17 by RollingFreak.

Date: May 17, 2013 16:58

there were some excellent unplugged albums way back when. my faves are still macca's, ec's (with leavell leading the charge, of course) and rod's...prolly in that order. dylan's didn't fare so well...he shoulda gone with one of the supper club shows from the year before instead of these '94 gigs.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 17, 2013 19:09

GRNRBITW
there were some excellent unplugged albums way back when. my faves are still macca's, ec's (with leavell leading the charge, of course) and rod's...prolly in that order. dylan's didn't fare so well...he shoulda gone with one of the supper club shows from the year before instead of these '94 gigs.

Strange that you mention it, because I was listening to all 4 Supper Club shows of 1993 a few days ago, and was thinking about terrific they are; and how boring the official MTV unplugged 1994 performance of Dylan is. The only great performance of the 94 show is "I Want You"......which he didn't include in the official release....!!

Concerning Rod Stewart's Unplugged album; it's OK; but I simply can't stand it when he almost starts to cry at one certain song......can't remember which song it was.... But when I heard that; I gave the CD to the local library. Who wants to hear a man crying? Not me!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 17, 2013 19:19

Erik_Snow
GRNRBITW

Strange that you mention it, because I was listening to all 4 Supper Club shows of 1993 a few days ago, and was thinking about terrific they are; and how boring the official MTV unplugged 1994 performance of Dylan is. The only great performance of the 94 show is "I Want You"......which he didn't include in the official release....!!

Concerning Rod Stewart's Unplugged album; it's OK; but I simply can't stand it when he almost starts to cry at one certain song......can't remember which song it was.... But when I heard that; I gave the CD to the local library. Who wants to hear a man crying? Not me!

The library has been trying to contact you...they want you to take it back...and brokeback mountain too...

Date: May 17, 2013 19:23

Erik_Snow
GRNRBITW

on van's have i told you lately. it was a tender moment and i loved it.

you ever hear sam cooke's version of the "riddle song" which has the line "i gave my love a baby with no crying" - you can hear him choke up at the line, cos he and his wife had just lost their baby to an early death. if that don't choke you up, nothing will...
did you ever hear sam cooke when he choked up at the end of

Date: May 17, 2013 19:24

Munichhilton
Erik_Snow
GRNRBITW

The library has been trying to contact you...they want you to take it back...and brokeback mountain too...

I know they've been trying, but I pretend that I'm dead.....don't tell them I'm still here, thank you

Date: May 17, 2013 19:27

GRNRBITW
Erik_Snow
GRNRBITW

on van's have i told you lately. it was a tender moment and i loved it.

you ever hear sam cooke's version of the "riddle song" which has the line "i gave my love a baby with no crying" - you can hear him choke up at the line, cos he and his wife had just lost their baby to an early death. if that don't choke you up, nothing will...
did you ever hear sam cooke when he choked up at the end of

No, I haven't heard that one.....
The only "crying/choking up" moment that brings a tear to my eye, without making me furious, is Leon Russell on his 2011 (?) concert, that was broadcasted on TV; where he sings "A Song For You"

But that's a different kind of "choking up".......because it's about time/lost time and not just sentimentality over a previous relationship

Did that make sense...? Well, I tried my best

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1733
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home