Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What would a DIRTY WORK tour 1985/86 have looked like?
Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: May 15, 2013 18:11

knee to the groin (rack n roll)...

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 15, 2013 20:03

Tate
A quick search yields mostly positive reviews indeed of Undercover. Well. Forget what I said about that in relation to a DW tour then.

It was definitely not perceived as a wild success.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 15, 2013 21:58

Tate
Dandelion, I seem to recall mixed reviews. I loved Undercover, but remember reading some criticism... and then Mick dismissed it later on as "ok". It did not sell poorly, but it didn't do nearly as well as Tattoo You, so I think the band, or Mick anyway, did not see it as much of a success. Of course, we're talking 30 years ago, so my memory could be slightly off about this!

I think the reviews were mostly good for Undercover but it didn't sell nearly as well. Undercover of the Night is hardly a commercial sounding song, compared with SMU.

I agree I think that Jagger dismissed it because it didn't sell well and prolly because the band started bickering big time by then.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 15, 2013 22:59

treaclefingers
I agree I think that Jagger dismissed it because it didn't sell well and prolly because the band started bickering big time by then.

Solo Mick had had his head turned by then as well.

He thought he could be like Bowie or Michael Jackson.

Date: May 15, 2013 23:07

treaclefingers
Tate
Dandelion, I seem to recall mixed reviews. I loved Undercover, but remember reading some criticism... and then Mick dismissed it later on as "ok". It did not sell poorly, but it didn't do nearly as well as Tattoo You, so I think the band, or Mick anyway, did not see it as much of a success. Of course, we're talking 30 years ago, so my memory could be slightly off about this!

I think the reviews were mostly good for Undercover but it didn't sell nearly as well. Undercover of the Night is hardly a commercial sounding song, compared with SMU.

Yep, good reviews, mediocre sales.

But the singles were as commercial as it gets, though.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: May 15, 2013 23:25

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Tate

But there WAS definetely a LOT going on in the music section at the time. And this makes it interesting to speculate. With good sells history would have to be new written...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 15, 2013 23:28

Poor sales of Undercover confirm my suspects that the average Stones fan have very bad taste in music

C

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 15, 2013 23:32

GravityBoy
This is what Mick would have looked like.

Looks like Jagger and Bowie had been wearing a pyjama - the shirts are pyjamas shirts, had they been in bed right before? hot smiley

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: May 15, 2013 23:33

RawIguanaCologne
Concerning Keith really wanting to bring that album on the road it might have been an interesting setlist...lots of undercover? which songs of the album?
another warhorse section, we´re still BEFORE the Vegas years...

what do you think?

Like Altamont - but guns, knives and pool cues wielded onstage.

Date: May 15, 2013 23:33

thumbs up
liddas
Poor sales of Undercover confirm my suspects that the average Stones fan have very bad taste in music

C

thumbs up

Date: May 16, 2013 00:00

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
Tate

You could make a case maybe for She Was Hot but I'd have to disagree with the lead single, Undercover of the Night. For most stones albums the lead single carries the album...didn't happen for Undercover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-16 15:27 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: May 16, 2013 09:11

Mullets, neon colors, shoulder pads, colorful stage props, synth sounds...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 16, 2013 17:30

It would be classic of them to not play much from the album since it is so bad and to pretty much ignore UNDERCOVER yet still lean heavily on SOME GIRLS and even play a couple from EMOTIONAL RESCUE and the familiar tracks from TATTOO YOU.

Start Me Up
Fight
Where The Boys Go
When The Whip Comes Down
Undercover Of The Night
Shattered
Harlem Shuffle
Hang Fire
Black Limousine
One Hit (To The Body)
Waiting On A Friend
Angie

Wanna Hold You
Little T + A

Summer Romance
Respectable
Tumbling Dice
She's So Cold
Beast Of Burden
Miss You
Honky Tonk Women
It's Only Rock'N'Roll
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 16, 2013 17:32

And obviously it would have been 1986/87.

Date: May 16, 2013 18:33

Glammy
Mullets, neon colors, shoulder pads, colorful stage props, synth sounds...

I think Mick would have moved from the football uniforms to leotards and leg warmers and a head band.

that was very mid-80s, and would have mimicked the film Stayin' Alive.

Actually, realizing this I think it's quite fortunate we had WWIII instead.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 16, 2013 19:09

It would have changed everything.

No Primitive Cool and no Talk Is Cheap, and as a result, Steel Wheels would likely not have had Slipping Away and Almost Hear You Sigh, which came from the previous year's Winos sessions, so no sense of loss about The Stones for Keith. And also, no era of posing from Keith, as he would have had no experience as a front man from the Winos album and tour that would not have happened.

The Steel Wheels tour itself might not have happened when it did, or at least the "Vegas" era would not have happened as it did. Padding the stage with all those back-up voices and players, making it a super-huge spectacle--that must have been Mick's safety blanket of assurance that the SW tour would be viewed as a successful "comeback" after 7-8 years off the road, without the sloppiness of the previous tour that might have made them look laughable in their middle age.

But if there had been a Dirty Work tour with, one would assume, the basic approach of their '81-'82 tour, and had it been well received, then with that recent experience they likely would have had the confidence to go right back out again with a similar stripped down arrangement.

It's hard to tell--there are many pluses and minuses regarding the fact that such a tour never took place.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 16, 2013 22:58

What would a DIRTY WORK tour 1985/86 have looked like?

The tour t-shirt probably would have looked something like this:

or this:

Date: May 17, 2013 04:23

uhbuhgullayew
What would a DIRTY WORK tour 1985/86 have looked like?

The tour t-shirt probably would have looked something like this:

or this:

HAHAHAAAA great and not that far fetched from the Urban Jungje tour designs!!!

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 17, 2013 05:04

GravityBoy
Was there ever a more annoying drum track?

It's not Charlie is it.

Only on every Bruce Springsteen record. Ever.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 17, 2013 05:43

jazzbass
GravityBoy
Was there ever a more annoying drum track?

It's not Charlie is it.

Only on every Bruce Springsteen record. Ever.

wow, they all really phoned this in. not have listened to this album since 3 days after it was first released, i'm shocked all over again at how bad it is...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 17, 2013 08:39

Well signing with Columbia meant outside producers and back-up singers for Mick solo and the Stones. It's a fair bet the tour would have included back-up singers as well. You would have had Chuck on board of course. The Uptown Horns had played on the DW sessions so its probable they would have been along as well.

I suspect we would have had the Vegas years three years early just a bit rougher since STEEL WHEELs was tremendously shaped by Jimmy Rip's arrangements for Mick's solo tour. UNDERCOVER would have been largely ignored. You'd have a few DIRTY WORK tunes plus the hits from the late seventies and early eighties and a smattering of oldies. The Warhorses setlist wouldn't have happened yet since Mick wouldn't have been comfortable.

Of course since Mick was talking to Steve Vai about touring with him in late 1985, it is highly unlikely a tour for the Stones was ever anything other than Keith's idea. Had Keith embraced Mick's solo album and encouraged him to play a few tracks live with the Stones, things might have gone different. Who can say? The same as if Mick had actually written songs with Jeff Beck for PRIMITIVE COOL as he led him to believe. If these guys really got behind their new work and kept it in the set lists like they used to who knows how things would have turned out. They might not have made billions as they did.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: May 17, 2013 09:21

He thought he could be like Bowie or Michael Jackson.[/quote]

mission saved. and he was as bowie, nearly. bowie was bad in the mid 80s, dance/tonight/neverletmedown.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 17, 2013 11:31

Mick witnessed the 1982 Who tour and said the Who were not getting along and it came cross on stage and then the Who split and Pete became a full time book editor at Faber & Faber. Mick felt from that experience that if the Stones had toured during the bad-blood-DW period such a tour might have fractured the Stones permanently. (He told this to Musician Magazine.)

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 17, 2013 17:13

bluesinc.

He thought he could be like Bowie or Michael Jackson.

mission saved. and he was as bowie, nearly. bowie was bad in the mid 80s, dance/tonight/neverletmedown.

Let's Dance was very good and I also liked Never Let Me Down quite a bit. Tonight, not so much.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1415
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home