Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brian Jones' best bits
Posted by: 3leggedcat ()
Date: March 2, 2005 13:48

I was in Cheltenham recently and went to put some flowers on Brian Jones' grave.

Now I'm thinking it would be a treat to make a compilation CD of the Stones songs featuring Brian's most notable contributions.

What would you suggest? Presumably he played sitar on Paint It Black?

What would you include?

And do you want to see my pictures of his grave and the things that other fans have left there..?

Re: Brian Jones' best bits
Posted by: davido ()
Date: March 2, 2005 13:53

Would be great to see the photos!

There's a great boot anthology called
the Brian Jones Memorial Album of alts,
BBC and unreleased stuff, tho Demon
also mentions another that sounds
quite excellent on her thread.

Date: March 2, 2005 14:04

Can I post the pics here?

x

Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: March 2, 2005 14:18

Yes you are able to post pics here.

Do the following:

1. You must to have your pictures at the Internet. f.e (geocities.com)
2. write this

Like this:

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: March 2, 2005 14:53

I love all he did cause whenever he played something it wa specail and made the song special. He was a brilliant person on all levels. What an icon, what an icon. Leader of the pack, star of the cloudy skies. He really made Mick and Keith what they were in the 70s. Far ahead of his time. Totally aware of who he was, a bit too aware and hyper sensitive. And they just look at him and resent him; Mick and Keith. Jimi Hendirx, Jim Morrison are cool but Brian is a mistery, still, and very modern. True rebel.

Date: March 2, 2005 16:13

I Wanna Be Your Man
Paint It Black
The Last Time
Little Red Rooster
Not Fade Away (Harp)
Let's Spend The Night Together (piano)
No Excpectations

It speaks for itself - great man!

Date: March 2, 2005 17:33

Brilliant.

But are there any more obscure (ie less well known) songs that Brian Jones shone on...

here's the link to those pix of Brian's Grave.

[www.photobox.co.uk]

Items are a harmonica, poem, and a card with the hyacinths from one of his children.

We left some daffodils...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 2, 2005 17:34

DandelionPowderman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Let's Spend The Night Together (piano)

That's Jack Nitsche.

Mathijs

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 2, 2005 17:47

don't forget..grown up wrong, emty heart, ruby tuseday,mothers little helper,ride on baby, sittin on a fence (one of the best ever)out of time,lady jane, under my thumb, i am waiting. dandelion, yesterday's papers, back street girl, and all of aftermath, between buttons, flowers, tsmr. album.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: March 2, 2005 18:21

Others:

I can't be satisified
Good Times,Bad Times
Citadel

Keith of course is completely straight

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 2, 2005 18:26

I was just last nite watching a DVD of the 1964 NME awards show. The Stones did three songs - Not Fade Away, Just Want to Make Love to You (great Brian harp!) and I'm Alright (introduced by Charlie!). I was very impressed with Brian here - he's actually doing alot of singing - trading off shouts on the final track with MJ.

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: March 2, 2005 18:36

Of his guitar contribution: his rhythm guitar in "Mona" is excellent - he got that Bo Diddley-thing going on very well. Later "Please Go Home".

- Doxa

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 2, 2005 19:16

Slide guitar on I Wanna Be Your Man, Mona, Little Red Rooster, Can't Be Satisifed and No Expectations.
Recorder and Piano on Ruby Tuesday
Sitar on Paint It Black and sitar(?) on Mother's Little Helper
Marimbas on Under My Thumb, Out Of Time
Harp on Diddley Daddy, Fannie Mae, Not Fade Away, Come On,
Main Guitar on The Last Time (although Keith plays the solo).
Dulcimer on Lady Jane
In Addition, it's hard to know what instruments Brian played during the 67-69 period.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: March 2, 2005 19:25

What about the guitar solo on "It's all over now"? Could be one the the greatest rock and roll solos ever recorded!

Keith of course is completely straight

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: March 2, 2005 19:29

We have some personal pics from Brians memorial, Cotchford farm, and some old familiar faces on [www.stonesvikings.com], look on the page for "HÃ¥kan Stertman", he is our Brian expert!

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-03-02 19:30 by mickijaggeroo.

Date: March 2, 2005 23:22

The guitar solo on It's All Over Now is played by Keith. Brian is playing the "choppy" sounding guitar similar to Off The Hook. He's playing the main chords as the song fades out.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: March 3, 2005 00:00

Brian's power chords on It's All Over Now were awesome. Other Brian highlights include:

Confessin' The Blues (lead guitar)- too smooth to be Keith

Blue Turns to Grey (lead guitar)- skillful use of 12-string Ric

Down Home Girl (slide)- subtle touches are brilliant

Now I've Got a Witness (harp)- Brian's best harp solo by far; leaves Jagger in the dust; truly distinguishes Brian as a master of the instrument

You Can't Catch Me (rhythm guitar)- echo guitar sounds like a runaway train; perfect compliment to Keith's frenzied lead

High-heel Sneakers (rhythm blues guitar)- Brian Jones, meet Eddie Taylor . . .

What A Shame (slide)- another classic, especially towards the end

Date: March 3, 2005 00:51

neptune Wrote:
> Brian's power chords on It's All Over Now were
> awesome. Other Brian highlights include:
>
> Confessin' The Blues (lead guitar)- too smooth to
> be Keith

Well, it's keith for sure.

>
> Blue Turns to Grey (lead guitar)- skillful use of
> 12-string Ric

Again, keith.

And about the sitar in Mothers Little Helper: that's Keith on electric 12-string, played with a slide. Add some delay, and it remenisces a sitar.

Mathijs

Date: March 3, 2005 02:08

Brian played the power chords to It's All Over Now on the Red Skelton Hour in '64. I have the video. Sounds like him too. I'm pretty sure the lead on Confessin' the Blues is Brian. The exact, intricate, high to low note phrasing is more characteristic of Brian's style than Keith's. KR's blues leads were always a bit choppy and repetitive, which is not taking anything away from him. It just was a style entirely different from the smoother, varied lead played on Confessin'. As for When Blue Turns to Grey, Keith never played the Ric, whereas Brian played it in '65, '67, and '68. There are many photographs of BJ playing that particular guitar. Again, the style is Brian's as well, with the trademark blend of low and high notes. There are no Chuck Berry double-stops there. Lastly, Keith may have played a 12-string with a slide on Mother's Little Helper (that's what he says now- should we always believe what he says?). However, I'm sure there is some sitar on it as well . . .

Date: March 3, 2005 14:07

neptune Wrote:
> Lastly, Keith may have played
> a 12-string with a slide on Mother's Little Helper
> (that's what he says now- should we always believe
> what he says?). However, I'm sure there is some
> sitar on it as well . . .

BUt it doesn't sound like a sitar, and Bill Wyman also states it's an electric 12.

And for some smooth Keith guitar: check out Looking Tired.

Mathijs

Date: March 3, 2005 23:13

When/where does Bill state that? Anyway, I think that 'sound' on MLH is more reminiscent of a sitar than an electric 12-string on slide. That's just my humble opinion . . .

Date: March 4, 2005 01:23

I always thought that it was a sitar on MLH. Has that twangy sound the same as Paint It Black. I looked in Bill's book but he doesn't mention anything about the song in particular.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 8, 2013 13:25

The slide solo on "I wanna be your man" is his "best bit' in my opinion and made the song, which was after all one of their first hits... Really key solo for the band.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: May 8, 2013 16:14

Agreed, Brians work on "I wanna be your man" made the song, really defined it as dirty and bluesy, much more exciting sound than the original.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: May 9, 2013 03:08

Mellotron on 2000 Light Years From Home

Also all the middle eastern horns on We Love You

Posted by: steini ()
Date: May 9, 2013 03:11

Brian Jones presents The Pipes of Pan at Jajouka

Posted by: Jayce ()
Date: May 9, 2013 06:09

One of the most confusing aspects of the "Rock and Roll Circus" is how they managed to turn down Brian or mix him out of some numbers, but placed the spotlight on him to showcase his beautiful slide work on "No Expectations." It is a shimmering performance, and I am grateful that they decided to include it in the finally released show -- even if they inexplicably mixed him out of other numbers (as the recent revelation of his more than adequate job on "Parachute Woman" indicates).

Posted by: Jayce ()
Date: May 14, 2013 00:57

Is it definitively settled that Brian did NOT play slide on "Jigsaw Puzzle"? I have always loved that bit, and have always known about Brian's mellotron part, but for a long time I had assumed the slide was Brian. Is it definitely Keith?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 14, 2013 01:20

Jayce
Is it definitely Keith?

Yes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1914
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home