Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell at The Bridgewater Hall, Wednesday 8th May 2013
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: May 9, 2013 09:36

Hello,

There have been a few too many er, relevant Stones-related posts lately so here I am to right that imbalance, hah-hah!

This was my first time seeing either of these artists and I came to them with no real knowledge of their work: to be honest, I barely knew any of the set-list but in the event it didn't affect my enjoyment of this astonishing show one iota.

They played two sets (50 & 85 minutes) and "...acted as their own support...", which was wonderful news in terms of the diversity of material it allowed them to choose, and from quite a few different writers.

Rodney Crowell and Emmylou's history stertches back 40 years or so and accordingly they are relaxed around each other with gentle humour and a couple of anecdotes along the way.
There were a couple of moments where you felt that your own tears might not be far away, such was the power and purity of Emmylou's voice and words whilst other numbers featured such brilliant extended solos from the young Telecaster King on her right: this guy's sound was phenomenal...never scratchy but warm and always on the money.

There was a band introduction but for the life of me I cannot remember any names- blame ignorance and senility, folks. What I would say is that I doubt that I'll hear a better 'fitting' band this year...they were a joy. This was the fist date of their UK tour so do yourself a massive favour and go see!

[www.emmylouharris.com]

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Cheers,

Simon.

Re: O/T Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell at The Bridgewater Hall, Wednesday 8th May 2013
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 9, 2013 11:38

First three songs and you must have been in country heaven. Wowza. Plus Luxury Liner, Till I Gain Control, San Antonio Rose, Tulsa Queen - some great Emmy classics there. Thanks for the review Simon.

Re: O/T Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell at The Bridgewater Hall, Wednesday 8th May 2013
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 9, 2013 12:46

Great set list by two great performers. Don't know how I missed this, I'm only the other side of the bleeding Pennines!!! The Bridgewater has some of the best acoustics in Europe.

Posted by: BrendanJabbers ()
Date: May 10, 2013 01:26

Fabulous gig, and I'm not particularly a country fan (though I love Gram Parsons). What a band - how about that lengthy guitar solo on Luxury Liner that closed out part one? Thanks for the setlist - I came here via Google because I am trying to name the tracks on my (cough) illicit recording and, like you, I was unfamiliar with a lot of the set. Great value with such a long set. They introduce the band, so when I get round to that bit I'll publish the line-up here. The guitarist was Australian and called Jed or Jeb, a young guy, I remember that.
Were the staff a little over zealous where you were? At 55 I was one of the youngest there but the girl near me stared and glared at our section throughout - I don't think any of the audience has ever had a mobile phone, let alone (gasp!) want to take photos!

Date: May 10, 2013 01:39

The encore was left off that set list too - Stars On The Water and (after much debate about chords and stuff) Sin City.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 10, 2013 01:56

Alas, they are not coming to my part of the world, but the shows I found on Dime are excellent for the most part. If you have access to Dime or similar grab a show or two, sit down with something refreshing to drink and let yourself take an aural ride out into real Americana and country.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: May 10, 2013 04:18

I love Emmylou since I saw her in New Zealand touring with the'Hot Band' around 1977, what a dish too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-10 04:19 by midimannz.

Posted by: winos ()
Date: May 10, 2013 10:30

I've seen both ELH and Rodney Crowell separately - both superb performers, last time I saw Crowell was in 2009 at a winery outside of Melbourne and he had Will Kimbrough on guitar. It would be cool to see them together next time.

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Date: May 10, 2013 12:36

Hello,

Great to hear that there are a few fans onboard er, this board!

@ BrendanJ: bizarrely I have read a few fan reports from that show and they were slating the sound quality...I thought it was crystal and the mix (ooh get her all technical) was fine. Truly was a special show!

As with any show that I have loved, how good would an official live release be?

On to The Specials next Wednesday...

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: May 10, 2013 12:58

Glad you enjoyed it Simon. Been going to see Emmylou for many years and she is always...well..perfect! Have only seen Rodney on solo gigs. Tried to get tickets for this tour, but all the stalls tickets for Glasgow were gone in jig time. A bit odd,as it's been heavily advertised since.

If you're looking for Emmylou material, there's a lot of live stuff with The Hot Band from the seventies kicking about with Rodney on harmony and James Burton (and, later, Albert Lee) on lead guitar. Cracking stuff!

Date: May 10, 2013 16:22

Hi Iain,

Thanks for the direction- I'll definitely be checking some of that out.
Mind you, Burton and then Lee...couldn't ELH get anyone decent or what? Just two of my (and probably everyone's) favourite players ever, hah-hah!
Right, where's my wallet...

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: May 10, 2013 17:01

Save your wallet, Simon. Most are bootlegs and I managed to run down a whole load a while back for free. Check out Dimeadozen, etc., and various blogs. There's some great stuff with (mostly) good sound quality.

Posted by: glimmerman ()
Date: May 10, 2013 18:59

Having enjoyed Emmylou and The Hot Band many times, this partial reunion looks like the second coolest tour of the year!

Posted by: tnhybrid ()
Date: May 10, 2013 21:48

Lucky you! Once saw Emmy play a fundraiser for about 200 people in an historic church in downtown Nashville... she's a treasure. Glad you enjoyed the show.

"Just a poor girl in a rich man's house" * Rockin' in Nashville, TN!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 11, 2013 20:36

Next day show here :

[www.dimeadozen.org]

"a review of the manchester show in yesterday's guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/may/09/emmylou-harris-rodney-crowell-review) unfavourably compared the band that rodney crowell has put together for this tour with emmylou's famous hot band - calling them 'the lukewarm band'

well, i don't know what happened between manchester and london, but tonight those same musicians are on fire

in fact, the searing injection of rock n roll into the country sound on stage makes me think more than once of those early emmylou records"

Setlist :

Set 1

01. intro
02. Return Of The Grievous Angel (Gram Parsons / Thomas Brown)
03. Wheels (Chris Hillman / Gram Parsons)
04. Pancho And Lefty (Townes Van Zandt)
05. Earthbound (Rodney Crowell)
06. chat
07. 'Til I Gain Control Again (Rodney Crowell)
08. Tragedy (Emmylou Harris / Rodney Crowell)
09. chat
10. I'll Be Your San Antonio Rose (Susanna Clark)
11. Red Dirt Girl (Emmylou Harris)
12. chat
13. The Rock Of My Soul (Rodney Crowell)
14. Heaven Only Knows (Paul Kennerley)
15. Love Hurts (Boudleaux Bryant)
16. Luxury Liner (Gram Parsons)

Set 2

01. intro chat
02. Darlin' Kate (Emmylou Harris)
03. chat
04. The Angels Rejoiced Last Night (Ira Louvin / Charlie Louvin)
05. chat
06. Long Time Girl Gone By (Mary Karr / Rodney Crowell)
07. chat
08. I Know Love Is All I Need (Rodney Crowell)
09. band intros
10. Hanging Up My Heart (Hank DeVito)
11. Invitation To The Blues (Roger Miller)
12. chat
13. Spanish Dancer (Patti Scialfa)
14. chat
15. Bluebird Wine (Rodney Crowell)
16. Dreaming My Dreams (Allen Reynolds)
17. chat
18. Back When We Were Beautiful (Matraca Berg)
19. chat
20. Chase The Feeling (Kris Kristofferson)
21. Black Caffeine (Donivan Cowart / Hank DeVito)
22. Leaving Louisiana In The Broad Daylight (Rodney Crowell / Donivan Cowart)
23. Tulsa Queen (Emmylou Harris / Rodney Crowell)
24. Still Learning How To Fly (Rodney Crowell)
25. I Ain't Living Long Like This (Rodney Crowell)
26. Old Yellow Moon (Hank DeVito / Lynn Langham)
27. crowd
28. Stars On The Water (Rodney Crowell)
29. chat
30. Sin City (Gram Parsons / Chris Hillman)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-11 20:37 by dcba.

Date: May 14, 2013 01:48

That was a strange review in the Guardian. I moved back to behind the sound desk for the second half and, during the interval a couple of grey haired hippies were having a right old rant at the sound man about the quality way up in the gods where they were. I imagine they were part of the "two gigs a year" community and have grown too accustomed to listening to CDs in their Cadillacs (with the Dead Head sticker on it!)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2495
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home