Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What Could Have Been If Mick And Keith Had Remained Close Friends Throughout The Years
Date: May 9, 2013 21:52

GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern
KatieGirl
I think Keith wrote "Life" precisely because the relationship between him and Mick was so bad he figured it couldn't get any worse. "Life" didn't ruin Mick and Keith's relationship, it just made it public. Perhaps that is what embarassed Mick. Not that Keith is blameless in any of this. The two things that make the Stones great, Mick and Keith. You can't have one without the other.Mick going out of his way to say that Keith isn't family, only somebody he's worked with a long time doesn't leave you with that warm fuzzy feeling either.

Strange timing to write your life story slamming your life long business partner if you knew you were going to be working with him in the future. Either he thought it was over or underestimated Mick's reaction to it. The whole thing becomes even stranger when you hear that a copy was actually presented to Mick before the book release. Mick apparently read it and signed off on it. At least that is what I think has been reported. Something doesn't add up here.
Or maybe what Keith wrote isn't really a big deal and the media blew it up (as they like to do) and made it into a huge ass scandal when really it wasn't.

Apparently Keith had to apologize to Mick before they could work together again and Charlie has confirmed that relations had been strained between the two of them. He had his doubts that the band would ever perform together again. Of course maybe they were all in on some grand scheme to keep themselves in the news while they awaited their 50th anniversary? And the book was just part of it? The media runs with any news that is controversial.

Re: What Could Have Been If Mick And Keith Had Remained Close Friends Throughout The Years
Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 9, 2013 21:54

Rokyfan
JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW
not sure what being friends has to do with it....their respective muses dried up 3+ decades ago....had zip to do with friendship....

I don't buy that theory at all. People should become better writers as they get older. They have much more life experiences to draw from. If Keith hadn't written that damn book we probably would have had a new album by now.

Where is this true in rock music? Whose late work will be remembered over their early stuff? Nobody.

you tell him. i told him but he never listens to me.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: May 9, 2013 21:55

GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern
KatieGirl
I think Keith wrote "Life" precisely because the relationship between him and Mick was so bad he figured it couldn't get any worse. "Life" didn't ruin Mick and Keith's relationship, it just made it public. Perhaps that is what embarassed Mick. Not that Keith is blameless in any of this. The two things that make the Stones great, Mick and Keith. You can't have one without the other.Mick going out of his way to say that Keith isn't family, only somebody he's worked with a long time doesn't leave you with that warm fuzzy feeling either.

Strange timing to write your life story slamming your life long business partner if you knew you were going to be working with him in the future. Either he thought it was over or underestimated Mick's reaction to it. The whole thing becomes even stranger when you hear that a copy was actually presented to Mick before the book release. Mick apparently read it and signed off on it. At least that is what I think has been reported. Something doesn't add up here.
Or maybe what Keith wrote isn't really a big deal and the media blew it up (as they like to do) and made it into a huge ass scandal when really it wasn't.

It does seem strange. I just think that it wasn't presented to Mick for him to
"sign off" on it; Keith and his publisher no doubt were releasing the book even if Mick objected, I think it was more or less, "Mick, I just wanted you to know that this is what I wrote and here it is, just wanted you to read it before it went public" type thing . . .

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 9, 2013 22:05

GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern
KatieGirl

You can't really make a case for that argument with Mick and Keith both admitting in the new Rolling Stone that a Keith apology to Mick for Life was indeed a prerequisite for further touring activity.

There you have the two principals confirming what both the media and IORRians have been speculating on these many months.

Date: May 9, 2013 22:06

GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW
not sure what being friends has to do with it....their respective muses dried up 3+ decades ago....had zip to do with friendship....

I don't buy that theory at all. People should become better writers as they get older. They have much more life experiences to draw from. If Keith hadn't written that damn book we probably would have had a new album by now.

absolute baloney. whether they should or not is not the point. they never are.

you couldn't be more wrong if your ass was screwed on backwards....

Nonsense. Bob Dylan and Neil Young are two prime examples. Just because their songs are not as popular today as maybe they were years ago doesn't mean their song writing has suffered. The Stones produced three of their greatest songs on Bridges, but because the public would rather hear "dogs" like Brown Sugar and Honkey Tonk Woman they never get played. Satisfaction is another overrated song in my opinion. I am 69 years old and I am a much better writer today that I was in my twenties and thirties. You really don't know much until you have lived at least 60 years. It's then you can write with some real wisdom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-09 23:59 by JumpinJackOLantern.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 9, 2013 22:08

JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern
KatieGirl

Apparently Keith had to apologize to Mick before they could work together again and Charlie has confirmed that relations had been strained between the two of them. He had his doubts that the band would ever perform together again. Of course maybe they were all in on some grand scheme to keep themselves in the news while they awaited their 50th anniversary? And the book was just part of it? The media runs with any news that is controversial.

A fake manufactured scandal was not necessary to keep The Stones on people's minds--classic rock radio does a good enough job of that on a daily business.

Date: May 9, 2013 22:16

Rokyfan
JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW

Where is this true in rock music? Whose late work will be remembered over their early stuff? Nobody.

Nostalgia has a way of clouding reality. The "times" have a lot to do with how we view a specific song or album. We usually think the times of our youth were so much better. Most people that lived normal lives look back on their childhood with rose colored glasses. The songs were better, the Coca Cola was richer, the sun was brighter, the skies were bluer, etc., etc..

Date: May 9, 2013 22:25

JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW

Nonsense. Bob Dylan and Neil Young are two prime examples. Just because their songs are not as popular today as maybe they were years ago doesn't mean their song writing has suffered. The Stones produced three of their greatest songs on Bridges, but because the public would rather here "dogs" like Brown Sugar and Honkey Tonk Woman they never get played. Satisfaction is another overrated song in my opinion. I am 69 years old and I am a much better writer today that I was in my twenties and thirties. You really don't know much until you have lived at least 60 years. It's then you can write with some real wisdom.

their songs aren't as popular cos they just ain't as good.

i'm 84 and i suck donkeys compared to my youth. and you too suck at writing much more than you realize, lantern....sorry to break it to you. but it had to be said.

Date: May 9, 2013 22:28

JumpinJackOLantern
Rokyfan
JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW

Nostalgia has a way of clouding reality. The "times" have a lot to do with how we view a specific song or album. We usually think the times of our youth were so much better. Most people that lived normal lives look back on their childhood with rose colored glasses. The songs were better, the Coca Cola was richer, the sun was brighter, the skies were bluer, etc., etc..

listen, sonny...i've had about enough of your nonsense. you young whipper-snappers think you know everything.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 9, 2013 22:34

JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW

Nonsense. Bob Dylan and Neil Young are two prime examples. Just because their songs are not as popular today as maybe they were years ago doesn't mean their song writing has suffered. The Stones produced three of their greatest songs on Bridges, but because the public would rather here "dogs" like Brown Sugar and Honkey Tonk Woman they never get played. Satisfaction is another overrated song in my opinion. I am 69 years old and I am a much better writer today that I was in my twenties and thirties. You really don't know much until you have lived at least 60 years. It's then you can write with some real wisdom.

It was sometime around the recording of "All About You" in the late 70s that the Stones recorded their last great song - give or take a few years.

Johnny Cash had the same issue, but a great solution. He went out and recorded some amazing covers records that made him relevant to a whole new generation of fans.

If the Stones do another album, it should be an all-covers record. Keith has the right idea, it's been really great to see the various songs he covers at various events over the years. They are still great musicians, even if the songwriting fountain has run dry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-09 22:35 by sonomastone.

Date: May 10, 2013 00:05

stonehearted
JumpinJackOLantern
GumbootCloggeroo
JumpinJackOLantern
KatieGirl

A fake manufactured scandal was not necessary to keep The Stones on people's minds--classic rock radio does a good enough job of that on a daily business.

No comparison. Nothing comes close to a good scandal! Well, almost nothing. smiling smiley

Date: May 10, 2013 00:12

GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW

their songs aren't as popular cos they just ain't as good.

i'm 84 and i suck donkeys compared to my youth. and you too suck at writing much more than you realize, lantern....sorry to break it to you. but it had to be said.

You have probably heard (but didn't comprehend) that when you reach 80 you revert back to being a child again. The prime years for writers or song writers should be from 60 to 80. That means, if Mick and Keith can put it back together they can write a few more classic Stones albums provided they remain healthy and among the living.

Date: May 10, 2013 00:19

GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
Rokyfan
JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW

listen, sonny...i've had about enough of your nonsense. you young whipper-snappers think you know everything.

At 84 you "old farts" have forgotten 84% of everything you have learned in life. 69 is the new 29, just ask Mick.

Date: May 10, 2013 00:39

JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
Rokyfan
JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW

At 84 you "old farts" have forgotten 84% of everything you have learned in life. 69 is the new 29, just ask Mick.

i was told there would be no math today

Date: May 10, 2013 00:45

sonomastone
JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW

It was sometime around the recording of "All About You" in the late 70s that the Stones recorded their last great song - give or take a few years.

Johnny Cash had the same issue, but a great solution. He went out and recorded some amazing covers records that made him relevant to a whole new generation of fans.

If the Stones do another album, it should be an all-covers record. Keith has the right idea, it's been really great to see the various songs he covers at various events over the years. They are still great musicians, even if the songwriting fountain has run dry.

Satisfaction is recognized as the all time greatest Stones song, but I never did think much of it. It is, however, a great closer for big production live shows. As are Brown Sugar, (which I never liked) and Jumpin Jack Flash (which I do like, very much). These songs are popular because they promote crowd participation, and have been played endlessly on radio and live by the Stones for decades. The "times" also contributed to their popularity. I doubt Satisfaction or Brown Sugar would have been anymore popular than Doom And Gloom or One More Shot if they had been released in 2012. Honky Tonk Woman to me is awful, but to the vast majority it is a classic. Music is just so damn subjective, but I really think some of Stones later work rivals their earlier stuff. Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, and Like A Thief In The Night, are as good as anything the Stones have ever done. And ABB has a few songs that within time will be better appreciated. She Saw Me Coming is my favorite song on ABB.

Date: May 10, 2013 00:51

GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
Rokyfan
JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW

i was told there would be no math today

You mean, Na math? As in Joe Willie? I saw Na math on ESPN yesterday! He still looks damn good! He will be 70 on May 31. Eastwood will be 83 on May 31 which makes you one year older than Dirty Harry! Are you talking to chairs yet?

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 10, 2013 00:53

JumpinJackOLantern
sonomastone
JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW

Satisfaction is recognized as the all time greatest Stones song, but I never did think much of it. It is, however, a great closer for big production live shows. As are Brown Sugar, (which I never liked) and Jumpin Jack Flash (which I do like, very much). These songs are popular because they promote crowd participation, and have been played endlessly on radio and live by the Stones for decades. The "times" also contributed to their popularity. I doubt Satisfaction or Brown Sugar would have been anymore popular than Doom And Gloom or One More Shot if they had been released in 2012. Honky Tonk Woman to me is awful, but to the vast majority it is a classic. Music is just so damn subjective, but I really think some of Stones later work rivals their earlier stuff. Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, and Like A Thief In The Night, are as good as anything the Stones have ever done. And ABB has a few songs that within time will be better appreciated. She Saw Me Coming is my favorite song on ABB.

I don't completely disagree. To me part of great songwriting is really connecting with people, often within the context of what is happening at the time. At its time and place, Satisfaction and the other war horses really connected with people (and so won great acclaim.) They probalby wouldn't now if they were released now.

Their recent songs may be technically good songs, but they don't connect with me nor with a lot of people, including some of the Stones' biggest fans. I think a greater factor than age in the decline of the relevance of their song writing is just being out of touch with what is happening "in the streets".

For a song to become legendary, it must of course transcend a specific time and place and become "timeless". Perhaps your argument is that Brown Sugar for example is not one of those songs and playing it now is just nostalgia. I don't disagree (although I still liked hearing them play it).

A song like Gimme Shelter, on the other hand, seems to be gathering more and more momentum as a truly timeless classic. Is Saint of Me in the same league as Gimme Shelter? Not in my mind, I suppose you can argue only time will tell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-10 00:54 by sonomastone.

Date: May 10, 2013 01:31

sonomastone
JumpinJackOLantern
sonomastone
JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW
JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW

I don't completely disagree. To me part of great songwriting is really connecting with people, often within the context of what is happening at the time. At its time and place, Satisfaction and the other war horses really connected with people (and so won great acclaim.) They probalby wouldn't now if they were released now.

Their recent songs may be technically good songs, but they don't connect with me nor with a lot of people, including some of the Stones' biggest fans. I think a greater factor than age in the decline of the relevance of their song writing is just being out of touch with what is happening "in the streets".

For a song to become legendary, it must of course transcend a specific time and place and become "timeless". Perhaps your argument is that Brown Sugar for example is not one of those songs and playing it now is just nostalgia. I don't disagree (although I still liked hearing them play it).

A song like Gimme Shelter, on the other hand, seems to be gathering more and more momentum as a truly timeless classic. Is Saint of Me in the same league as Gimme Shelter? Not in my mind, I suppose you can argue only time will tell.

Excellent comments.

Even a fabulous song like Gimme Shelter can become a little boring for those of us that have heard it a thousand times. It is, however, "timeless". It is a far better song than Satisfaction and Brown Sugar in my opinion. For some reason I never get tired of hearing Happy or Jumpin Jack Flash, or Street Fighting Man.

Some of what I consider to be the greatest Stones songs rarely get played, if at all. When was the last time they played Almost Hear You Sigh, or Till The Next Goodbye, or Moonlight Mile, or Winter? I loved that they played Lady Jane last year, it is a classic in my mind. And what about Heart Of Stone?

You may not believe this but Streets Of Love was the highlight of the evening for me in Seattle seven years ago. It works live for some reason.

To the casual fan they want to hear the ones they remember hearing on the radio. For us it's different. My advice to the Stones would be to write new music and play the hell out of it. Try to use songs like Out Of Control, Sympathy, Gimme Shelter, Saint Of Me, Street Fighting Man, and Midnight Rambler as a model for new songs. Think in terms of drama. Doom And Gloom was a step in the right direction. Also consider songs like Happy and Don't Be A Stranger. These songs are what I call "feel good tunes". Of course I could list at least 50 more as good examples for the Stones to use as "models" for the next great Stones album.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 10, 2013 03:58

Jumping Jack, You're awfully full of yourself.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: May 10, 2013 21:03

I think it was always on the cards for them to diverge. Their class backgrounds, natures, and tastes are so different. For a few years, they were on the same page, due to having been thrown together through work, shared goals, shared crises, mutual success and youth, but when Mick married Bianca, it really underlined their fundamental differences, and marked the beginning of an ever-widening rift. And of course, the incidents along the way propelled them further downward (Keith derailing the band with his drug addiction and legal problems, Mick wanting to record and tour without the RS, the exchange of insults in the press). Keith's book was the last straw, and along with the economic downturn of the last five years, it really seemed to be the end of the RS.

But, perhaps from nostalgia, perhaps from greed, they surprised us; like Lazarus, they rose from the dead, and even resurrected the long-dead ghosts of the band, Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman. This tour is a great finale for them, a perfect way to close the book.

Date: May 11, 2013 02:25

stonesrule
Jumping Jack, You're awfully full of yourself.

I am here to pump you up! To pump the Stones up! But, first, I must pump myself up! There's a whole lot of pumping going on! smileys with beer

I am just Barney Fife leading the charge to get Miss Ellie Walker back at the Mayberry Pharmacy!

Date: May 11, 2013 02:30

Bliss
I think it was always on the cards for them to diverge. Their class backgrounds, natures, and tastes are so different. For a few years, they were on the same page, due to having been thrown together through work, shared goals, shared crises, mutual success and youth, but when Mick married Bianca, it really underlined their fundamental differences, and marked the beginning of an ever-widening rift. And of course, the incidents along the way propelled them further downward (Keith derailing the band with his drug addiction and legal problems, Mick wanting to record and tour without the RS, the exchange of insults in the press). Keith's book was the last straw, and along with the economic downturn of the last five years, it really seemed to be the end of the RS.

But, perhaps from nostalgia, perhaps from greed, they surprised us; like Lazarus, they rose from the dead, and even resurrected the long-dead ghosts of the band, Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman. This tour is a great finale for them, a perfect way to close the book.

Not a perfect ending but not bad at all. The perfect ending would be for them to ride off into the sunset in about four to seven years as artists. And we all know what that means. I am not giving up! We must fight on! Mick Taylor is now doing two songs instead of one! We must NEVER give up!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2173
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home