Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Charlie hardly uses his ride cymbal anymore
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: May 10, 2013 07:04

This may be a little "inside baseball" but since the 2002 tour, it seems that Charlie uses his crash cymbal as a ride rather than his actual ride cymbal on a lot of songs.

Any idea why that is? I always loved how smooth and melodic his ride cymbal sounded, but he seems to prefer the clangy wash of the crash nowadays.

Re: Charlie hardly uses his ride cymbal anymore
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 10, 2013 07:29

A crash cymbal is thinner than a typical ride cymbal. I can imagine that In an Arena setting, a crash cymbal might cut through the murk and sound more prominent.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: May 10, 2013 08:08

His drumming style has changed over the years in general. Who knows why. It may get boring playing the same songs the same way, and since he's stuck playing the same songs, he tries out something different from time to time.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: May 10, 2013 08:58

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 10, 2013 09:33

marianna
His drumming style has changed over the years in general. Who knows why. It may get boring playing the same songs the same way, and since he's stuck playing the same songs, he tries out something different from time to time.

We need mick Taylor to play drums on a couple songs to challenge Charlie to do his best!

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: May 10, 2013 09:37

All his cymbals do sound like shit in my opinion. He uses china cymbals as a crash, thin ride cymbals (which are usually used in jazz combos) while he plays rock, and now he doesn't even play a proper ride cymbal anymore but uses a crash cymbal for that matter. All these odd choices doesn't make him sound better. Watching him play makes me sick. He's stiff, there is no swing or groove in his playing, and his odd hi-hat technique doesn't make any sense, let alone that it looks stupid.

To me Charlie is one of the most overrated drummers of all time.

Just for the record: I'm a semi professional drummer since 1984.

Now kill me.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 10, 2013 09:54

Nah.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-10 09:55 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: May 10, 2013 10:00

I know nothing about drumming, but I was kinda irked by what seemed to me to be a busy style of playing throughout "Love in Vain" at the Echoplex. I'm not even sure if that song requires much drumming at all. It felt like he was about to break into "Theme from 'Shaft'" ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-10 10:02 by DeanGoodman.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: May 10, 2013 10:22

sonomastone
marianna

We need mick Taylor to play drums on a couple songs to challenge Charlie to do his best!

I'm not sure why anyone would take offense to a simple observation of Charlie's stylistic changes, which have also been observed by others, obviously. But whatever.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 10, 2013 13:00

Glammy
All his cymbals do sound like shit in my opinion. He uses china cymbals as a crash, thin ride cymbals (which are usually used in jazz combos) while he plays rock, and now he doesn't even play a proper ride cymbal anymore but uses a crash cymbal for that matter. All these odd choices doesn't make him sound better. Watching him play makes me sick. He's stiff, there is no swing or groove in his playing, and his odd hi-hat technique doesn't make any sense, let alone that it looks stupid.

Now kill me.
His technique is very limited and at times he seems to be less thrilled about playing since 2002. I heard him with his Boogie friends in 2009, and that was good. He is the perfect drummer for the Stones in my opinion. His groove fits into the band perfectly. That is why it is hard to "rate" him. There would not have been a better drummer for the Stones.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 10, 2013 13:03

windmelody
Glammy

Now kill me.
His technique is very limited and at times he seems to be less thrilled about playing since 2002. I heard him with his Boogie friends in 2009, and that was good. He is the perfect drummer for the Stones in my opinion. His groove fits into the band perfectly. That is why it is hard to "rate" him. There would not have been a better drummer for the Stones.

we need mick taylor to help him drum better!

Date: May 10, 2013 13:07

Glammy

Now kill me.

Mnnn...something about Charlie...let's read...

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: May 10, 2013 13:51

All the Stones are the perfect fit for the Stones thats why we love them. Charlie may not be the most flashy drummer, but when he hit that stride with Bill & Keith it was magical.

I reckon Charlie & Darryl are a great rhythm section but to my ears Charlie doesn't lock as much with Darryl as he did with Bill.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: May 10, 2013 16:26

Glammy

Now kill me.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 10, 2013 16:32

He started to lose his distinctive 60's groove when they started messing with punk and disco. It changed him and not for the better IMO.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 10, 2013 16:34

"White drummers dont swing except Charlie Watts" - very true!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 10, 2013 16:39

"White drummers dont swing except Charlie Watts" - very true!

Not really.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 10, 2013 16:40

Carnaby
Glammy

Now kill me.

You don't know what you're talking about.
actually, he does. have you heard charlie try and play the blues? it is VERY stiff.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 10, 2013 17:06

I love the high hat lift. Go put on She's So Cold and checkout that groove..

His style has changed as of 2002 but also the mixing has gotten worse on recordings. His snare sounds terrible at most shows. There is almost always a ringy tone where there should be a crack of thunder! Dip 350 Hz already!

Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: May 10, 2013 17:19

Glammy

Now kill me.
Where can I find you?angry smiley

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 10, 2013 17:20

he's a lazy bastard and just in it for the money like the rest of them. his cymbal playing is just cymbalic now....

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 10, 2013 17:27

GRNRBITW
he's a lazy bastard and just in it for the money like the rest of them. his cymbal playing is just cymbalic now....

you won't tolerate Chuck-bashing on your board...but you join in the Charlie-bashing..oh my..

there really needs to be no Charlie-bashing...he is the great glue and secret of the Stones' sound.

Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: May 10, 2013 17:46

Well Mick T hardly uses his guitar anymore soooo....he can use Charlies ride cymbal! You irriot.

Date: May 10, 2013 17:48

duke richardson
GRNRBITW

you won't tolerate Chuck-bashing on your board...but you join in the Charlie-bashing..oh my..

there really needs to be no Charlie-bashing...he is the great glue and secret of the Stones' sound.

can only bash one charles and charlie's been there the longest, so he gets the nod.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 10, 2013 17:52

GRNRBITW
duke richardson
GRNRBITW

can only bash one charles and charlie's been there the longest, so he gets the nod.

well he's been known to bash back

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: May 10, 2013 18:04

His style he plays in concert now, is nothing at ALL like what he played on the original records or used to play in concert. Nowadays he just bashes out the beat in a very metronomic and insistent fashion, very stiff and ridid and hitting too hard, always at the same loud volume. The drums in concert sound terrible, flat, ringy, badly tuned and poorly equalized. He hardly ever plays interesting or creative fills any more -- if you listen to him recently it's just 1-2-3-4 keeping the beat. And if you think I'm a hater, this is coming from someone who is a huge lifetime fan of Charlie Watts, not a basher. What he plays now is nothing at all like what he used to do. Something has changed during the Vegas period, whether it's because of Daryl or how Mick likes the songs (straight beat) or boredom or what, I can't say.

Date: May 10, 2013 18:06

Turning To Gold
His style he plays in concert now, is nothing at ALL like what he played on the original records or used to play in concert. Nowadays he just bashes out the beat in a very metronomic and insistent fashion, very stiff and ridid and hitting too hard, always at the same loud volume. The drums in concert sound terrible, flat, ringy, badly tuned and poorly equalized. He hardly ever plays interesting or creative fills any more -- if you listen to him recently it's just 1-2-3-4 keeping the beat. And if you think I'm a hater, this is coming from someone who is a huge lifetime fan of Charlie Watts, not a basher. What he plays now is nothing at all like what he used to do. Something has changed during the Vegas period, whether it's because of Daryl or how Mick likes the songs (straight beat) or boredom or what, I can't say.

still the best-dressed stone, though. that counts.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: May 10, 2013 18:14

Glammy

Now kill me.

I really dont wanna hear you play the drums ever.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 10, 2013 19:49

Here's the difference between stiff and loose playing:

I'm not saying Charlie is a horrible drummer, he's not. It's quite obvious that his skills have diminished. In his younger days he had feel. In this video, no feel. Stiffness. He plays it too straight. You can hear it when he goes to the hi-hat. Not good. But he is who he is. Bless him.
And then there's this:

No stiffness. This has a sexy feel to it. It swings as opposed to Charlie's version which does not.
To the Charlie Watts apologists: learn to accept criticism.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: May 10, 2013 21:44

Interesting comparison, thanks. Mind you, I almost nodded off watching the second video.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2332
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home