Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What Could Have Been If Mick And Keith Had Remained Close Friends Throughout The Years
Date: May 9, 2013 07:44

They had it all! The greatest song writing duo (next to McCartney and Lennon) in the history of rock 'n roll! You just have to wonder what could have been if they had just remained close friends throughout the years. Instead of doing solo albums they could have been working together during all of those "lost years". And now they come to the end of their careers (when they need each other most) and the wounds apparently still haven't healed. Sad, very sad. Can you imagine what they could have achieved together in recent years had they just remained close? Instead of Keith writing "Life" he could have been writing new songs with his song writing partner, Mick Jagger. I am guessing if these guys had just gotten along over the years we would have had at least three more classic Stones albums with more to come. Instead we have uncertainty, with no real signs that they will ever come together again as a song writing force. Sad, very sad.

Re: What Could Have Been If Mick And Keith Had Remained Close Friends Throughout The Years
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 9, 2013 07:52

JumpinJackOLantern
They had it all! The greatest song writing duo (next to McCartney and Lennon) in the history of rock 'n roll! You just have to wonder what could have been if they had just remained close friends throughout the years. Instead of doing solo albums they could have been working together during all of those "lost years". And now they come to the end of their careers (when they need each other most) and the wounds apparently still haven't healed. Sad, very sad. Can you imagine what they could have achieved together in recent years had they just remained close? Instead of Keith writing "Life" he could have been writing new songs with his song writing partner, Mick Jagger. I am guessing if these guys had just gotten along over the years we would have had at least three more classic Stones albums with more to come. Instead we have uncertainty, with no real signs that they will ever come together again as a song writing force. Sad, very sad.

They are still playing, and playing great. Why should we care about the details of their relationship? And if we did, shouldn't we be impressed at how long they stayed together? Has any other duo stayed together as long, as successfully, and as productively?

Re: What Could Have Been If Mick And Keith Had Remained Close Friends Throughout The Years
Date: May 9, 2013 07:59

sonomastone
JumpinJackOLantern

They are still playing, and playing great. Why should we care about the details of their relationship? And if we did, shouldn't we be impressed at how long they stayed together? Has any other duo stayed together as long, as successfully, and as productively?

No doubt they are performing magnificently. They are still the greatest show on earth. It's the song writing that has suffered and we may not get that last great Stones album because the closeness just isn't there anymore.

Date: May 9, 2013 08:04

JumpinJackOLantern
sonomastone
JumpinJackOLantern

No doubt they are performing magnificently. They are still the greatest show on earth. It's the song writing that has suffered and we may not get that last great Stones album because the closeness just isn't there anymore.

I see. I guess i'm just less optimistic. In my opinion the last great Stones album was recorded 36 years ago... I admire you still holding out hope for another, but I gave up sometime on the second side of Steel Wheels in 1989. I don't know that their feud is the issue, I think possibly it's age and/or the comfort and isolation of decades of living on island retreats and suburban estates.

Date: May 9, 2013 08:10

sonomastone
JumpinJackOLantern
sonomastone
JumpinJackOLantern

I see. I guess i'm just less optimistic. In my opinion the last great Stones album was recorded 36 years ago... I admire you still holding out hope for another, but I gave up sometime on the second side of Steel Wheels in 1989. I don't know that their feud is the issue, I think possibly it's age and/or the comfort and isolation of decades of living on island retreats and suburban estates.

I really believe these guys have it within themselves to create at least one more masterpiece. They have a lifetime of experiences to draw from. I sense the problem is the two of them can't really work together alone as in the past. I hope I am wrong. I want to be wrong so very badly.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 9, 2013 08:21

Steel Wheels should have been their swan song. What am I saying? It was! Steel Wheels was their last great album. Bill was on it. And Slipping Away was the perfect goodbye. Since then the legend is enhanced by nothing but the stage work of polishing the same golden era songs over and over. The majority of the paying public wants to pay to see them do just that. I guess, "Ladies & Gentlemen, the Greatest Oldies Band in the World!" doesn't have the same ring to it.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 9, 2013 08:22

I personally don't think its because their relationship has changed. Yes, I guess you could look at it as they stopped making amazing albums once it started getting frosty between them (after Some Girls) but I think thats more coincidental.

Many of their contemporaries stopped making the great albums they once did. Honestly, I'd say they have a lot more than others. Some of those pre-Beggars albums are great (Aftermath, Between The Buttons, everyone has their own favorites from that period), then you have Beggars, Let It Bleed, the ultimate live album with Ya Yas, Sticky Fingers, Exile, Its Only Rock And Roll, Some Girls. I mean, its kind of enough right there.

I'd say they haven't made one to that calibre because the drive has changed and they are no longer gunning to be the best, but I don't know if thats true either. That was their prime and they had one hell of it. I agree I don't think they ever will because too much has changed. They aren't the same people and artists generally run out of steam.

Its a nice fantasy for them to have that one last incredible album, but it'll never happen and I don't think they have it in them to make it. Rock and roll is a young man's game, and its not like they stand out as being a group that didn't have an amazing album late in their career. Many of their contemporaries don't.

Realistically, they are lucky if any of their albums post Tattoo You have ONE song thats reminiscent of their incredible prime period. The only way they could make one last great album, is if they never released all of their post Tattoo You albums and compiled the absolute best tracks from those. They pretty much have enough on those to make one SOLID album as good as their early effort. And even then people probably wouldn't hail it.

I agree its a nice thought, but thinking that after 30 years of mediocre albums that they are suddenly going to make one as good as Sticky Fingers is just... nothing more than a fantasy. The Beatles wouldn't be able to do it either if they were still alive and together.

Date: May 9, 2013 08:25

24FPS
Steel Wheels should have been their swan song. What am I saying? It was! Steel Wheels was their last great album. Bill was on it. And Slipping Away was the perfect goodbye. Since then the legend is enhanced by nothing but the stage work of polishing the same golden era songs over and over. The majority of the paying public wants to pay to see them do just that. I guess, "Ladies & Gentlemen, the Greatest Oldies Band in the World!" doesn't have the same ring to it.

I think Bridges was their last great album. It contains three of the greatest Stones songs ever, in my opinion. And, if only they would have released the Some Girls bonus tracks as a new album. It's a classic. It's my favorite at the moment.

Date: May 9, 2013 09:29

JumpinJackOLantern
24FPS

I think Bridges was their last great album. It contains three of the greatest Stones songs ever, in my opinion. And, if only they would have released the Some Girls bonus tracks as a new album. It's a classic. It's my favorite at the moment.

One fan thinks Tattoo You was their last great album, and half of that is old material. One fan thinks Bridges had some sort of value. I pick Steel Wheels because it was the last organically made album, with the best lineup. To me the only clinkers on it are Sad, Sad, Sad and Can't Be Seen. It was a great return to form after the miserable UnderWork. Everything post Steel Wheels is another band. The entire rhythm section is off. I agree that the Some Girls bonus tracks are great. They should be, they come from a time when the band was still whole.

Date: May 9, 2013 09:34

24FPS
I pick Steel Wheels because it was the last organically made album, with the best lineup. To me the only clinkers on it are Sad, Sad, Sad and Can't Be Seen. It was a great return to form after the miserable UnderWork.
Really? I mean, its all opinions (thats coming from someone that thinks A Bigger Bang is great grinning smiley ), but those are the two songs you don't think are that great? This is the same album that has Continental Drift and Break The Spell, which to me is just utter crap they needed to fill the album.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 9, 2013 09:34

The songwriting partnership effectively ended years ago. What remains is a strong business partnership and performance partnership. None of this should come as a surprise to anyone.

Date: May 9, 2013 09:44

71Tele
The songwriting partnership effectively ended years ago. What remains is a strong business partnership and performance partnership. None of this should come as a surprise to anyone.

Indeed. Just for some perspective. Let's just say that Bridges to Bablyon was a great Stones record. Well, it was recorded nearly 6 years ago. The Beatles wrote and recorded 80% of their entire catalog in 6 years, and the Stones "golden period" lasted about that long.

Even if Bridges to Bablyon was a great record with great songs, it's been a dry spell.

In my opinion, the last great songs they wrote together were during the Jimmy Carter presidency.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 9, 2013 09:50

The last good new music the Stones released was way back on GRRR! Doom and Gloom was the last time they released good new music... before that it was probably A Bigger Bang.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 9, 2013 09:51

Back of my Hand, Rough Justice... those were just some of the good songs on Bigger Bang... and that was a helluva great Tour too.

ROUGH JUSTICE BABY!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-09 09:52 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: May 9, 2013 09:59

A Bigger Bang was a really great record. I would have thought had it been chopped down, it would have been truly excellent.

1. Rough Justice
2. Let Me Down Slow
3. Streets Of Love
4. Back Of My Hand
5. She Saw Me Coming
6. Biggest Mistake
7. This Place Is Empty
8. Oh No, Not You Again
9. Laugh, I Nearly Died
10. Infamy

I mean, those are quality songs. And I would venture to guess that if some don't like one of those, you could replace one or two possibly with It Won't Take Long, Dangerous Beauty, or Sweet Neo Con. That would make a tight 10 song, 40 minute album, and easily would have been my favorite record of theirs since Tattoo, or maybe even Some Girls. As a 60+ minute record, I still do think its good, and even like the filler, but its hard not to say its a tad bloated. I have no idea why it gets crapped on so much. I thought by far its the best and most rocking they've sounded in years. Steel, Voodoo, and Bridges were all way too polished for my tastes.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 9, 2013 10:27

A gay marriage in France or Holland and a bunch of adopted kids?

Date: May 9, 2013 10:37

RollingFreak
24FPS
I pick Steel Wheels because it was the last organically made album, with the best lineup. To me the only clinkers on it are Sad, Sad, Sad and Can't Be Seen. It was a great return to form after the miserable UnderWork.
Really? I mean, its all opinions (thats coming from someone that thinks A Bigger Bang is great grinning smiley ), but those are the two songs you don't think are that great? This is the same album that has Continental Drift and Break The Spell, which to me is just utter crap they needed to fill the album.

I liked Continental Drift because it was different, not just the guitar-drums bang it out. It harkened back to Brian and psychedelia. I just thought if you took the throwaway Sad, Sad, Sad, and the one too many Keith solo songs, Can't Be Seen, that it would be a broad, good pop-rock album, filled with many styles. And it's only my opinion. The problem I have with the post-Wyman era is that except for the not aging well experiments on BTB, Voodoo and Bang sound retro. Don't get me wrong, there's a few good songs scattered over those three albums, but something doesn't sound right. Rough Justice has got a nice production, but the others just lack something. I find the bass to be infuriatingly pointless emotionally on their post-Wyman era work. Once again, my dumbass opinion.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: May 9, 2013 12:02

24FPS
JumpinJackOLantern
24FPS

One fan thinks Tattoo You was their last great album, and half of that is old material. One fan thinks Bridges had some sort of value. I pick Steel Wheels because it was the last organically made album, with the best lineup. To me the only clinkers on it are Sad, Sad, Sad and Can't Be Seen. It was a great return to form after the miserable UnderWork. Everything post Steel Wheels is another band. The entire rhythm section is off. I agree that the Some Girls bonus tracks are great. They should be, they come from a time when the band was still whole.

I think Voodoo Lounge was great and even better than Steel Wheels , and I love Bridges to Babylon and Bigger Bang too..I agree that the Some Girls bonus tracks are great and they are some of the best songs in years...I have no probleam with Mick and Keith's situation, cause Doom And Gloom was fantastic. They can still bring a cool song on the table...

No-one will ever know what would have happened if the Keith and Mick would have remained friends, who knows..the songs might even be worse..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-09 12:05 by seitan.

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: May 9, 2013 15:38

I think Keith wrote "Life" precisely because the relationship between him and Mick was so bad he figured it couldn't get any worse. "Life" didn't ruin Mick and Keith's relationship, it just made it public. Perhaps that is what embarassed Mick. Not that Keith is blameless in any of this. The two things that make the Stones great, Mick and Keith. You can't have one without the other.Mick going out of his way to say that Keith isn't family, only somebody he's worked with a long time doesn't leave you with that warm fuzzy feeling either.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 9, 2013 17:18

Their "one last great album" was Tattoo You - it's the Stones' "Let It Be" - recorded mainly around/before Some Girls ("Abbey Road" in the Beatles' case), but finished and released afterwards.

Everything ever since were "one too many". Still some nice songs on them, but no more classics. Repetitions of a winning formula.

As a standalone, the Some Girls bonus disc could have been a "last great one", eben more with some other outtakes included which are sadly missing in action. Maybe later...

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 9, 2013 18:05

not sure what being friends has to do with it....their respective muses dried up 3+ decades ago....had zip to do with friendship....

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 9, 2013 18:08

Every time people start threads about the Stones' personal lives and friendships and long discussions ensue, I always think of that Annie Hall scene with Marshall McLuhan.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 9, 2013 18:13

GumbootCloggeroo
Every time people start threads about the Stones' personal lives and friendships and long discussions ensue, I always think of that Annie Hall scene with Marshall McLuhan.

This one, Gumboot? grinning smiley

Date: May 9, 2013 18:20

Yep!

Date: May 9, 2013 21:24

KatieGirl
I think Keith wrote "Life" precisely because the relationship between him and Mick was so bad he figured it couldn't get any worse. "Life" didn't ruin Mick and Keith's relationship, it just made it public. Perhaps that is what embarassed Mick. Not that Keith is blameless in any of this. The two things that make the Stones great, Mick and Keith. You can't have one without the other.Mick going out of his way to say that Keith isn't family, only somebody he's worked with a long time doesn't leave you with that warm fuzzy feeling either.

Strange timing to write your life story slamming your life long business partner if you knew you were going to be working with him in the future. Either he thought it was over or underestimated Mick's reaction to it. The whole thing becomes even stranger when you hear that a copy was actually presented to Mick before the book release. Mick apparently read it and signed off on it. At least that is what I think has been reported. Something doesn't add up here.

Date: May 9, 2013 21:29

JumpinJackOLantern
KatieGirl

Strange timing to write your life story slamming your life long business partner if you knew you were going to be working with him in the future. Either he thought it was over or underestimated Mick's reaction to it. The whole thing becomes even stranger when you hear that a copy was actually presented to Mick before the book release. Mick apparently read it and signed off on it. At least that is what I think has been reported. Something doesn't add up here.
Or maybe what Keith wrote isn't really a big deal and the media blew it up (as they like to do) and made it into a huge ass scandal when really it wasn't.

Date: May 9, 2013 21:34

GRNRBITW
not sure what being friends has to do with it....their respective muses dried up 3+ decades ago....had zip to do with friendship....

I don't buy that theory at all. People should become better writers as they get older. They have much more life experiences to draw from. If Keith hadn't written that damn book we probably would have had a new album by now.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: May 9, 2013 21:39

KatieGirl
Mick going out of his way to say that Keith isn't family, only somebody he's worked with a long time doesn't leave you with that warm fuzzy feeling either.

He didn't go out of his way to say it, he was asked. As you get older -- at least in my experience -- family takes on more importance. Both of Jagger's parents are dead now. His brother is all that's left of that part of his life, and it's only reasonable that he would consider that relationship different and special.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 9, 2013 21:39

JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW

I don't buy that theory at all. People should become better writers as they get older. They have much more life experiences to draw from. If Keith hadn't written that damn book we probably would have had a new album by now.

absolute baloney. whether they should or not is not the point. they never are.

you couldn't be more wrong if your ass was screwed on backwards....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-09 21:43 by GRNRBITW.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 9, 2013 21:50

JumpinJackOLantern
GRNRBITW

Where is this true in rock music? Whose late work will be remembered over their early stuff? Nobody.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2232
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home