Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: "Love and War Inside the Rolling Stones" - Rolling Stone, May 23 2013
Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 8, 2013 03:14

Great article. Thanks for posting.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 8, 2013 03:18

It is a great article, I love Mikhail Gilmore's writing and the picture is gorgeous.

Thanks very much. smiling smiley

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 8, 2013 03:22

Good piece, interesting comparison with what Mick said about Keith in the past with what he says now.
Nice quotes from Charlie too.

Yah, here's a page saying Mick thought Keith was his brother...
"We're very close, and we always have been. He was born my brother by accident by different parents... That sounds all right to me. - Mick Jagger"
[fandom-picspams.livejournal.com]

Awwww. Wonder which year that was?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: bigbitch ()
Date: May 8, 2013 03:39

angee
Good piece, interesting comparison with what Mick said about Keith in the past with what he says now.
Nice quotes from Charlie too.

Yah, here's a page saying Mick thought Keith was his brother...
"We're very close, and we always have been. He was born my brother by accident by different parents... That sounds all right to me. - Mick Jagger"
[fandom-picspams.livejournal.com]

Awwww. Wonder which year that was?

I think it was circa 1978. Probably the truly last time they were close.

And honestly the relationship between these two seems to hold the most intrigue of the proceeding 30 years since that time. From what I read of that article I think it is pretty clear that Mick does not even really consider Keith his friend anymore. Somewhere Keith crossed the line in Mick's eyes and in fairness to Mick he was there for Keith for years and then dumped on unceremoniously for 30 years since...not saying that Mick did not have some issues that the rest of the Band probably got pretty wound up on him about.

But I think for real fans this has to be the one thing that bums all of us out that these two partners have not really been so for many many years on all most any level...and I think it has clearly affected the Band's ability to deliver new and vibrant material. After Emotional Rescue into Undercover - leaving aside the brilliant rabbit out of the hat of Tattoo You - the muse was gone..

I bet that both Mick and Keith have done their level best during the intervening years to find it again...I think they really tried with a Bigger Bang at Mick's house and they just could not find the spark ...no shame...and now after the one thing holding them together is not what it once was - no matter how Keith tries to paper over it - the songwriting partnership - the raison d'etre for the artists known as the Rolling Stones is gone.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: May 8, 2013 04:10

"No, not at all. No. I thought it was a very interesting little prick – a little shot of adrenaline." Keith, page 4.

Jeez, is Keith starting up the tiny todger thing again? winking smiley

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 8, 2013 04:29

On the positive side, there does seem to be more eye contact between them in the last few shows than on ABB, especially this year.

~"Love is Strong"~

Re: Rolling Stone Cover Story: The Rolling Stones 2013
Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 8, 2013 04:56

DoomandGloom
I knew it, Mick sees a version of The Stones without Keith.... Now we know why Taylor's around. I wrote this months ago and everybody chuckled... Wood/Taylor

Mick and Keith despise each other. This is what I get from the Rolling Sone mag article. Keith wanted Mick Taylor and said they would be "weaving" soon in a three guitar attack. Mick Jagger vetoed this for whatever reason, partly because Mick and Keith don't get along. Partly beacuse as the frontman Jagger wants zero and I mean zero surprises. Having Mick Taylor up there might make for some surprises. Whereas the same band that played in 2007 and previously does not. This band has been playing together for years (with a 5 year 2007-2012 hiatus) and has gelled into a no surprises unit. So why take a chance on Mick Taylor? Just be sure throw a bone to our stupid loyal fat old bald fans by having Taylor up there for Rambler, to get them buying the high priced tickets.

Above is Mick Jagger's thinking.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-08 06:45 by triceratops.

Re: Rolling Stone Cover Story: The Rolling Stones 2013
Date: May 8, 2013 05:00

triceratops
DoomandGloom
I knew it, Mick sees a version of The Stones without Keith.... Now we know why Taylor's around. I wrote this months ago and everybody chuckled... Wood/Taylor

Mick and Keith despise each other. This is what I get from the Rolling Sone mag article. Keith wanted Mick Taylor and said they would be "weaving" soon in a three guitar attack. Mick Jagger vetoed this for whatever reason, partly because Mick and Keith don't get along. Partly beacuse as the frontman Jagger wants want zero and I mean zero surprises. Having Mick Taylor up there might make for some surprises. Whereas the same band that played in 2007 and previously does not. This band has been playing together for years (with a 5 year 2007-2012 hiatus) and has gelled into a no surprises unit. So why take a chance on Mick Taylor? Just be sure throw a bone to our stupid loyal fat old bald fans by having Taylor up there for Rambler, to get them buying the high priced tickets.

Above is Mick Jagger's thinking.

That's basically my understanding too.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 8, 2013 05:45

I'm glad you people are all in Mick and Keith's heads and know what they are thinking and feeling!!!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 8, 2013 06:21

Jesus that's a powerful article. It's very sad that these people don't seem connected by anything but the music they recorded decades ago and still perform. Jagger does seem willfully unknowable except to a select few. He made it very clear that Chris is family, and the Rolling Stones are not. You walk away from this realizing that they could all easily go on with what's left of their lives without each other. It's silly to think they'd be hanging out and partying with each other like they did in their 20s. But it's still sad to think they don't even want to get together and create any new music. Keith really injured Mick, and Mick keeps quiet. The things Mick could reveal.

Date: May 8, 2013 06:57

Mick is all class! Keith on the other hand, I wish he could be muzzled. Tired of his passive aggressive comments i.e. "I would lie to my mother"! So I guess I can take that as you are not sorry about your idiotic comments in your book about Mick even though you apologized? He can't even give credit where its due, (regarding the riff of Doom and Gloom).
Mick is the total professional and for this 45 year old fan I respect Jagger keeping his thoughts to himself and giving his best to HIS fans! I am more in awe of him than ever. Keith just keep posing in the background, smile with your too bright teeth and shut up.

Date: May 8, 2013 07:10

AlmostHearYouSigh
Mick is all class! Keith on the other hand, I wish he could be muzzled. Tired of his passive aggressive comments i.e. "I would lie to my mother"! So I guess I can take that as you are not sorry about your idiotic comments in your book about Mick even though you apologized? He can't even give credit where its due, (regarding the riff of Doom and Gloom).
Mick is the total professional and for this 45 year old fan I respect Jagger keeping his thoughts to himself and giving his best to HIS fans! I am more in awe of him than ever. Keith just keep posing in the background, smile with your too bright teeth and shut up.

i like that keith is himself, warts and all. mick always has a game face on, which is definitely his perogative.

Date: May 8, 2013 07:13

Is it really a surprise that Bill couldn't get into it again? When people who really love you have a chance to be reunited with you they bring you in and you just pick up from your last point. He returns to the periphery 20 years later and sees nothing has changed, only gotten colder. No new music of any real merit. A stage show playing 90% of stuff he played on. And the relationship between Jagger and Richards is frostier than ever. And yet the music on stage is transcendent. Go figure.

Date: May 8, 2013 07:15

24FPS
Is it really a surprise that Bill couldn't get into it again? When people who really love you have a chance to be reunited with you they bring you in and you just pick up from your last point. He returns to the periphery 20 years later and sees nothing has changed, only gotten colder. No new music of any real merit. A stage show playing 90% of stuff he played on. And the relationship between Jagger and Richards is frostier than ever. And yet the music on stage is transcendent. Go figure.

I respect Bill for not doing it. It takes balls to say no to that kind of money and adulation, but he kept his self respect.

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: May 8, 2013 08:12

sonomastone
24FPS

I respect Bill for not doing it. It takes balls to say no to that kind of money and adulation, but he kept his self respect.

Respect? He got invited and afterwards he was complaining. He could have made up his mind by saying: "two songs, no way". But he didn't and was whining afterwards. Its how Charlie put it, Bill left the band in the wrong moment right before a lot of money came in and he couldn't benefit from his time being in the Stones. Bill knows that and thats one of the reasons he sounds so bitter these days, talking shit about how happy he is. If somebody is really happy with his life he doesn't have to say it to every journalist who is around. To be with the Stones is not very time consuming. He lost a fortune.

Date: May 8, 2013 08:19

leatherjacket
sonomastone
24FPS

To be with the Stones is not very time consuming. He lost a fortune.

Not now. But they worked real steady through 2007. It's not really the point to belabor what happened in the past. It would have been nice to have had things work out. It still can.

Posted by: Somegirl66 ()
Date: May 8, 2013 08:37

Mick was Keith's best man at his wedding in 1983. Google Mick and keith moment in shine a light, images, and there's some really sweet ones. They seemed pretty close again..I think Keith's book was the final straw for Mick and that while he has forgiven keith, he can't forget..not just the todger stuff but general digs..lead vocalist syndrome, brenda, her majesty etc..

Hear is an article Bill Wyman wrote on what Mick's reply would have been to "Life":

[www.slate.com]

All said, Mick's probably keeping his distance and just going on with the show...hopefully things will thaw and get better as they they tour. It would be great to see them share that camaraderie spirit once again. (:

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 8, 2013 08:43

That reply is not from Bill Wyman the Rolling Stone. It is from Bill Wyman the rock writer.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 8, 2013 09:49

An interesting article. As usually when ROLLING STONE prints something, that's something worthy to read. The band seemingly uses the magazine as a kind of informal route of sharing information. Usually the newest things come from this route, and this time it sounds like giving a kind of semi-official report what has been going behind the curtains during the last years. I would bet that the article is if not controlled or guided by their representatives, it is checked by them. (The Keith part, for example, is pure Jane Rose, but take notice Rose's comment of Mick - that's new diplomacy!).

It is also interesting that the themes it deals with are the same ones we have discussed here very thru and thru - Mick and Keith's alianation from each, Keith's book influence on Mick, the worries about Keith's condition as a guitar player, etc. In most cases, we were in a right track, or at least, the article seems to coher with the critical block of the writers here.

Besides, it is written very elequantly taking the heatness of some issues.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-08 09:57 by Doxa.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 8, 2013 14:16

Video about the covershoot.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 8, 2013 14:29

leatherjacket

Respect? He got invited and afterwards he was complaining. He could have made up his mind by saying: "two songs, no way". But he didn't and was whining afterwards. Its how Charlie put it, Bill left the band in the wrong moment right before a lot of money came in and he couldn't benefit from his time being in the Stones. Bill knows that and thats one of the reasons he sounds so bitter these days, talking shit about how happy he is. If somebody is really happy with his life he doesn't have to say it to every journalist who is around. To be with the Stones is not very time consuming. He lost a fortune.

What I read was that Bill was warned in advance that he would be out a projected 20 million that he would be able to make in the next 2-3 years. The Stones had some very lucrative tours mapped out. They had figured out how to make the really big tour money which started after 1992 or so. Bill walked out on this. Obviously he should have toughed it out for a few more years. He must regret it oo. Just look at Ronnie who is worth 70 million

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: May 8, 2013 15:35

The prices they are demanding is a perfect example of their hubristic, almost comical mis-reading of the times...especially in light of the fact that it is now clear that their collaborative creative well (which is how the best Stones music was created) is bone-dry and a new album is a pipe-dream...so it is on with another lucrative Victory Lap Tour.

Doom an Gloom (the new tune) is a great, kick ass song...written almost entirely by Jagger, proving they still DO have the chops, if they would get together and write new material. In fact, their live show reviews are quite positive with some writers even suggesting that they sound rawer and louder than anytime since the 1981/82 Tours. What a tragedy that they could not overcome their rancor and sit together for 6 months and crank out a late-career masterwork...Ronnie is clean and playing strong, Mick Taylor is on board (nominally), Keef has his rhythm chops back, Charlie is Charlie, and Mick is Mick...even Bill would be down for recording...instead...this...the Soul Survivors have become a traveling jukebox for rich Baby-Boomers.

Posted by: Beauforde ()
Date: May 8, 2013 15:36

A great article that explains the death of song-writing collaboration between the glimmer twins. I am now as saddened as I am enlightened.

They just left town. I did not pony up the rent money for the nose-bleed seats.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 8, 2013 15:49

BowieStone

Excellent, thanks for sharing, so no one's been photoshopped in ! Too bad there's been all this D&G talk cause that shoot seemed pretty cheerful...

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 8, 2013 15:53

BowieStone

They look fantastic especially Mick.
Great.
Thanks.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: May 8, 2013 16:09

Thanks for the pic. Glad to hear it wasn't photoshopped, and that their handlers could get them all in the same room for a picture.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 8, 2013 16:12

slew
I'm glad you people are all in Mick and Keith's heads and know what they are thinking and feeling!!!

It's amazing how some people think they know it all.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 8, 2013 16:47

I find it astonishing that given that all has transpired in the past couple of years, Keith doesn't have even the remotest sense of self preservation. Forget about feeling bad about or sorry for how he has hurt his friend. Just self preservation from the point of keeping his band together.

I guess though that is consistent with past behaviour. Just goes to show that the instant the band winds it down we're likely getting a second volume of LIFE with all the really 'bad bits'. AFTER LIFE perhaps?

Mick requested an apology? "He did," says Richards, "and I said that I regret if I caused you any, you know, inconvenience or pain, or something. It was . . ." Richards laughs. "I'd say anything to get the band together, you know? I'd lie to my mother."
and

Looking back now, is there anything he wishes he hadn't said in print?

"No, no, no, no." Richards laughs again. "I say what I say and that's it. I wouldn't retract a thing, man."

I didn't think my opinion of him could be lower, but it certainly is. He's pissed that it's public that he's apologized so he basically retracts it.

What a moron.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: May 8, 2013 16:53

I agree. Keith cannot stop trashing Mick. He comes across as a total assh*le in the article. And to think people still want them to share a mike on stage.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 8, 2013 16:55

Keith is a selfish arse.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1686
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home