Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 12 of 16
Re: Oakland May 5 Stones show live updates
Posted by: firebird ()
Date: May 6, 2013 23:48

laertisflash
"If AEG loses lots of money, no other promoter will give the Stones what they currently ask as guaranteed pay. Which means no fall tour, no european tour, no whatever tour..."

Firebird, i tried to argue that, by these ticket prices, even after the $85 offering the two gigs have been more profitable than what they would be by a "regular" ticket stragedy. I don't defend the current stragedy and have explained the reasons, but that’s another story. Speaking about money, honestly, i cannot see AEG losing lots of money, given the fact that, according to reports here, the tickets for some upcoming gigs (like Philly) are selling clearly faster, before – i guess- whatever massive prices waning.

In addition, i ’m sure that the Stones will be pretty flexible as for their “guaranteed payment”, IF they need to. Probably they ’ll not jeopardize the opportunity of proceeding the tour.

Come on guys… I remember the same discussion after ABB tour: On the tour the Stones attracted 4,7 million people (not including Rio’s free concert), but some folks were expressing their fears about the future of the relation between Stones and promoters… When? Just after the end of the second highest grossing tour of all time! Unbelievable…

Speaking about the current band’s performances and judging from the videos we have here (thanks Green Lady!), their general level is amazing. I can’t wait for the european tour’s leg!

Probably they have made more money with the new ticket strategy compared to a regular strategy, but that doesn't necessarily mean the tour is profitable for the promoter. Thats just because the audience is a lot smaller in arenas compared to stadiums. If you want to make the same amout of money from a 15000 seat arena you could make from a 60000 seat stadium you have to charge four times as much. And from all we heared the Stones ask for even more money. Bigger Bang tour made $560 million from 147 shows which is an average of $3,8 million per show. Right now they ask for $5 million per show in much smaller venues.
The tour may be profitable for the promoter, but i'm not convinced. I hope it will be and we get more shows.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 6, 2013 23:52

proudmary
tatters
Green Lady
Yes, there's a good crowd - certainly not half empty in terms of "bums on seats". But it might be half empty in financial terms - it's obvious from the news and the reports here that a lot of the people there didn't pay the full price as originally advertised, and probably the $85 tickets saved the Stones' blushes.

Right. Being able to "fill" an arena (with no seating behind the stage) at fire sale prices in cities the size of Los Angeles and San Francisco is not really an accomplishment, and those arenas certainly would have been half empty if they hadn't drastically slashed prices at the last minute.

I do not really understand this logic. If the tickets would cost 150-200$ since the beginning and the arena was full -it would be okay. But full arena with some people who had been there for 150-200 dollars instead of 600 makes the audience as if non-existent?

Of course you are right Mary. All this sports-style box office punditry is annoying anyway. It's infected all parts of the US media. The business discussion, and the discussion about the business discussion, and marketing. The Rolling Stones are touring. There are people there enjoying it. They are making money. AEG is making money. Is not about whether their sales are an "accomplishment."

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 6, 2013 23:55

GRNRBITW
CBII
fuwa
Long John Stoner
The reviews for the Oakland show are starting to come in. Apparently not everyone agrees it was a great show. It sounds like this reviewer isn't predisposed to like the Stones anyway.

[www.mercurynews.com]

Read the comments section to his review. Apparently the commenters disagree with his review. I was there. It was a great show.

And that's the bottom line. If the majority of the people were entertained and happy when they walked out of the show THAT'S what counts. You cannot please everyone all the time.

it takes 60 votes in the senate now, you know. the times are a-changin'....

Okay, you hit that one out of the park.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 7, 2013 00:12

I want to thank bv for changing the photo on the home page to one that includes Taylor. Nice job.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 7, 2013 00:34

"I do not really understand this logic. If the tickets would cost 150-200$ since the beginning and the arena was full -it would be okay. But full arena with some people who had been there for 150-200 dollars instead of 600 makes the audience as if non-existent?"

You hit the nail on the head, proudmary!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 7, 2013 00:36

Sorry, but Keith is terrible here.

He was at the previous gig on this solo as well.

I'm wondering if he can hear himself play - he's wandering way from the monitor or somethng?

He's also starting to do the posing again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-07 00:36 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 7, 2013 00:45

GravityBoy

I'm wondering if he can hear himself play - he's wandering way from the monitor or somethng?

Thats cause that darned Jagger cuts him off mid Keithness...it would be perfect if Jagger just waited for the nod he's been trained to wait for...

Date: May 7, 2013 00:50

Munichhilton
GravityBoy

Thats cause that darned Jagger cuts him off mid Keithness...it would be perfect if Jagger just waited for the nod he's been trained to wait for...

Keith is actually playing wrong notes... his fingers are at the wrong fret... he is playing runs from memory at the wrong fret.

He either can't hear himself or he can't play without looking at the fretboard.

He has upped his posing pulling shapes/faces factor and his guitar playing suffers.

He was focused at the O2 last year, no nonsense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-07 00:50 by GravityBoy.

Date: May 7, 2013 00:58

GravityBoy
Munichhilton
GravityBoy

Keith is actually playing wrong notes... his fingers are at the wrong fret... he is playing runs from memory at the wrong fret.

He either can't hear himself or he can't play without looking at the fretboard.

He has upped his posing pulling shapes/faces factor and his guitar playing suffers.

He was focused at the O2 last year, no nonsense.

Sometimes...A lot of times....There are quite a few times when I don't even know who you are...

Keiths' jamming to Sympathy out of key on purpose.
Its his finger to the establishment...the established E A D with an occasional B...too established.

Join the Keithness

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 7, 2013 01:00

Riffbuk
This photos were taken by my good friend Jim Crowley, and they so far the best of the tour..Thanks Jim!

jimicrowley.com/rollingstones.html

ha - so funny! I met him on the walk to the BART and had a nice convo with him about the show and his photos!
-swiss

Date: May 7, 2013 01:03

Munichhilton
Sometimes...A lot of times....There are quite a few times when I don't even know who you are...
Me neither.

Its his finger to the establishment...the established E A D with an occasional B...too established.

Join the Keithness

Ordinary folk are mocking.

That Youtube compilation with his "solo" in IORR is still up.

Read the comments.

Keith should keep his head down and focus.

Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: May 7, 2013 01:50

Sounds fine to me...??

Date: May 7, 2013 02:25

GravityBoy
Munichhilton
Me neither.

Join the Keithness

Read the comments.

Focus is overrated. This ain't Brahms, Beethoven or Bach ...

You must've hated the Clash live!

Date: May 7, 2013 02:34

Munichhilton
GravityBoy
Munichhilton
Me neither.

Join the Keithness

Read the comments.

Nobody mocked the Clash and they never claimed to be anything special. That was punk, it did what it said on the tin.

People ARE mocking the Stones right now.

[www.youtube.com]

I'm not making it up.

Posted by: fyp933 ()
Date: May 7, 2013 02:47

GravityBoy

Chuck is worse, I wish he'd stick to the original piano part instead of "vamping" his way through the song. bloody annoying

Date: May 7, 2013 02:51

GravityBoy
Munichhilton
GravityBoy
Munichhilton
Me neither.

Join the Keithness

Read the comments.

Nobody mocked the Clash and they never claimed to be anything special. That was punk, it did what it said on the tin.

People ARE mocking the Stones right now.

[www.youtube.com]

I'm not making it up.

It sucks to be kings

Posted by: rollingmoose ()
Date: May 7, 2013 02:55

I know its the greatest hits tour but really...same songs as last year....let's put in beast of burden ...can't you hear me knocking .....let's get miss you out ....spent have to be rare one but come on...OK I am done bitching .....just paying a lot for tickets and want some change up.....

Posted by: aftergeography ()
Date: May 7, 2013 02:56

Thats it...Gravity Boy's message about Keith playing the wrong key has made me register and finally post...(been reading for on and off several years...really been reading everyday since last fall) I'm sick of all this bashing...You, Gravity Boy sir, are wrong! The song sounds like its somewhere in E and Keith's solo is in the neighborhood of E...Or at least thats where I'm finding it playing along...Chill out man, we get it, you were obviously disappointed in Keith's performance (its for sure not his best, but hell, I didn't think it was that bad...

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: May 7, 2013 03:05

I hate the mick jagger disco sympathy for the devil tempo...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 7, 2013 03:21

No to make light of obesity, but it looks like Lisa has put on quite a few extra pounds.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 7, 2013 03:24

Hairball
No to make light of obesity, but it looks like Lisa has put on quite a few extra pounds.

She sounded great.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 7, 2013 03:27

sonomastone
Hairball

She sounded great.
I'm sure she did.

Aretha Franklin still sounds great as well, regardless of her weight/health issues.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: May 7, 2013 03:57

Chuck should go to Nicky's grave and beg forgiveness at ever attempting to play his sublime parts. Then refuse to go near another piano.

Ever.

Ronnie's guit sounds awesome on his LP and he should hammer bar chords all thru the song.

Keith - some of it is better than since '69. His timing of the lead is far better than most. He hits a cpl bum notes but to be honest his meter and choice of notes here is really quite good. Sound is great too. Def a few bits where he's off and yes that's probably down to being distracted thru showboating. I want the Keith on stage of 69 thru 73 back as well but he left the group long ago.

Mick's right arm it appears needs amputating for each show as nowadays he doesn't know what to do with it and it's distracting to watch. His reckless abandon performing died in 1983. But that's ok as his singing is still ok. But not the great vox we used to get.

They need me on stage to cover for the now dead Chuck - as I have killed him - Keith's lead when he decides to showboat and Mick's performing and singing. I'm gonna be busy it seems.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: May 7, 2013 03:59

F**k that noise.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: May 7, 2013 05:14

sounds great to me.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 7, 2013 05:45

Anyone else notice Ronnie putting a few of the Ya Yas SFTD licks in last night?

Date: May 7, 2013 06:12

I love Tom Waits, and the idea of him as a guest sounded great. Song xhoice too. But LRR was lame. Jagger spent the song concerned first of TW's whereabouts, and then later of TW's whereabouts within the song.
I am also turned off by the things said about Courtney Love early in this thread. And Gwen Stefani for that matter. What has happened to the Stones rock'n roller fans ?
On paper the shows are looking good.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 7, 2013 06:15

bam
Sorry BV, but in the otherwise nice picture of the Stones you posted,Jagger looks kinda grim to me.

I do agree, but that is just in the split second, the moment, he was great and a big smile all through the show.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 7, 2013 06:28

aftergeography
Thats it...Gravity Boy's message about Keith playing the wrong key has made me register and finally post...(been reading for on and off several years...really been reading everyday since last fall) I'm sick of all this bashing...You, Gravity Boy sir, are wrong! The song sounds like its somewhere in E and Keith's solo is in the neighborhood of E...Or at least thats where I'm finding it playing along...Chill out man, we get it, you were obviously disappointed in Keith's performance (its for sure not his best, but hell, I didn't think it was that bad...
I guess it depends on how big a neighborhood that E is.

All these years, that's it, you can't take anymore and all you say is you thought it was not that bad ??? Sounded like you were going to be outraged and you ended up disagreeing a little.

I'm still not sure about the neighborhood thing though, when it comes to notes.

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: May 7, 2013 06:28

Has anyone who attended the show noticed this guy? I can't imagine something like that in Europe...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 12 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2075
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home