Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7576777879808182838485...LastNext
Current Page: 80 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more songs please
Posted by: kwf ()
Date: June 23, 2013 15:20

There appears to be an extra guitar amp on Keith's side in that Phi MR video...

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 23, 2013 15:48

triceratops
MisterDDDD

This is like when Frank,Dean and Sammy when out on the road in the late 80s I think it was. Years past their prime. Dean new it was a joke and left the tour. They got Liza to fill in and still all are moms and dads paid big money to relive the past! Frank kept it up till he had to read a prompter for the lyrics... sad really. Lennon said they'd be congratulating the Stones on being together 100the years cause they can't hack it on their own.

Here is Jagger doing great!!! What do you mean can't hack it on their opwn!! What a base insult!!! (/sarcasm) You gotta love his corny schtick before his singing starts. The Japanese loved it!!!! To pieces!!!

The guitarist/rest of the band is playing great too imo. Jagger returning to the Stones must have been for financial reasons only.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 23, 2013 17:14

svt22

The guitarist/rest of the band is playing great too imo. Jagger returning to the Stones must have been for financial reasons only.

I don't think so. Or do you suppose he's on the brink of poverty? I guess the Stones do still mean a lot to him. Who's Jagger without the band? Besides the quality of the band is certainly not worse than it is since decades. Or were the Stones a better band during the last tours?

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 23, 2013 17:21

kleermaker
svt22

I don't think so. Or do you suppose he's on the brink of poverty? I guess the Stones do still mean a lot to him. Who's Jagger without the band? Besides the quality of the band is certainly not worse than it is since decades. Or were the Stones a better band during the last tours?

he was being sarcastic i assume. no stones fan can watch that video of mick's solo band and say the guitarist is playing great.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: June 23, 2013 17:36

Interesting how 30 seconds into that performance you just want to turn it off and write it off as utter crap...but if he was doing that stuff with the band we'd think it was great.Brings me back to what Keith emphasized in his book...it's the 'sound' that really matters before anything else...

Date: June 23, 2013 20:50

sonomastone
kleermaker
svt22

he was being sarcastic i assume. no stones fan can watch that video of mick's solo band and say the guitarist is playing great.

No, I'm not sarcastic here, although Kleermaker may have a point when he says there are also some feelings involved: the Stones will have had some sentiments for Jagger.
Listening to this HT version I don't miss Keith (post '76) for a moment. The guy playing the HTW intro has a lot of feeling, is very versatile, the band rocks and is not sloppy -ok the drummer is not Charlie but he still rocks. The Stones sounded worse/ more incompetent to me than the band above after Jagger came back and "burried" the hatchet. Jagger's solo band actually is a more competent sounding band than the Stones to me. But I am a Stones fan you know, I missed Taylor when he left, Keith is the archetype of a rocker. The combination Taylor/ Richards was unsurpassed. I loved Rory Gallagher, Alvin Lee, Gary Moore.. People here just don't like 8-tees /9tees rock the way Jagger's band above sounded, just like many don't like Toto, van Halen or Malmsteen etc... times changed in the 7-tees/ eightees though, rock musicians got better and better, more sophisticated, just like sportsmen. Please notice the difference between Stones music and nostalgia, listen to the the Vegas era or even worse: what they are doing now. It makes a grown man cry.

Date: June 23, 2013 21:07

Rip is no Richards, Satriani ain´t no Wood and Phillips sure ain´t no Watts grinning smiley

Nobody listens to the Stones because they are more "competent" than other musicians??

Including Taylor, there were always other bands who where better players individually than the members of the Stones were.

But this clip clearly shows that no matter how competent, technically skilled or accomplished you are, you´ll never ever manage to SOUND like the Stones.

That´s where the enormous respect for the Stones lies - listen to interviews with Satriania from this era - and later - then we see how much these great studio musicians admire our heroes smiling smiley

Date: June 23, 2013 21:23

Jagger's solo band plays the studio version. I'm afraid I prefer the studio version. But gimme this any time:

or:

Date: June 23, 2013 21:30

DandelionPowderman
Rip is no Richards, Satriani ain´t no Wood and Phillips sure ain´t no Watts grinning smiley

Nobody listens to the Stones because they are more "competent" than other musicians??

Including Taylor, there were always other bands who where better players individually than the members of the Stones were.

But this clip clearly shows that no matter how competent, technically skilled or accomplished you are, you´ll never ever manage to SOUND like the Stones.

That´s where the enormous respect for the Stones lies - listen to interviews with Satriania from this era - and later - then we see how much these great studio musicians admire our heroes smiling smiley

We can debate about this for ages DP, but this clip also clearly shows that the Stones don't sound like this band. Rip is doing a great job to me. And sure all the Vais and Satrianies and Phillips admire their heroes, just like Richards and Taylor and Watts admire their heroes. And I'm sure all the Richards and Taylors and Charlies admire the newer and more technical skilled players as well. Technique doesn't exclude feeling, even in rock music. The world keeps turning into the future.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 23, 2013 22:08

svt22
sonomastone
kleermaker
svt22

No, I'm not sarcastic here, although Kleermaker may have a point when he says there are also some feelings involved: the Stones will have had some sentiments for Jagger.
Listening to this HT version I don't miss Keith (post '76) for a moment. The guy playing the HTW intro has a lot of feeling, is very versatile, the band rocks and is not sloppy -ok the drummer is not Charlie but he still rocks. The Stones sounded worse/ more incompetent to me than the band above after Jagger came back and "burried" the hatchet. Jagger's solo band actually is a more competent sounding band than the Stones to me. But I am a Stones fan you know, I missed Taylor when he left, Keith is the archetype of a rocker. The combination Taylor/ Richards was unsurpassed. I loved Rory Gallagher, Alvin Lee, Gary Moore.. People here just don't like 8-tees /9tees rock the way Jagger's band above sounded, just like many don't like Toto, van Halen or Malmsteen etc... times changed in the 7-tees/ eightees though, rock musicians got better and better, more sophisticated, just like sportsmen. Please notice the difference between Stones music and nostalgia, listen to the the Vegas era or even worse: what they are doing now. It makes a grown man cry.

WARNING WARNING! NEVER TAKE THE POSTER KNOWN AS SVT22/AMSTERDAMNED/V4 OR WHATEVER SERIOUSLY! WHATEVER HE SAYS ABOUT THE STONES OR TAYLOR: IT'S ALL UTTER RUBBISH!

THIS GUY HAS BEEN BANNED NOW FOR 3 TIMES AND FOR A REASON: HE IS A SCHIZOPHRENIC WITH A HUGE DRUG AND ALCOHOL PROBLEM, TALKING STRAIGHT OUT OF HIS ASS FOR JUST ABOUT EACH AND EVERY POST ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD!

BEWARE: DO NOT TAKE PERSONAL ACTION. IMMEDIATE ACTION BY ALLERTING THE MODERATOR OF THIS BOARD BY HITTING THE 'REPORT THIS MESSAGE' BUTTON IS THE ONLY APPROPRIATE APPROACH TO THIS DANGEROUS POSTER.

Mathijs

Date: June 23, 2013 23:08

So you want more Stones/Taylor? Thanks for the heads up. thumbs up

Posted by: winter ()
Date: June 23, 2013 23:26

Only 4 shows to go and still no LIV or any audio from the club show version? I hope the band got the message (again) during Philly#2's CYHMK: the place went wild when Taylor takes the audience to a musical high. Most of them do not know who he is and could care less. But they reflexively respond to that feeling when the musical elements, not just the show/classic songs/nostalgia elements, give them nourishment.

We want more Taylor!!

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: June 24, 2013 01:14

svt22
sonomastone
kleermaker
svt22

wow, i guess we just really differ in taste/ear for music. i pick up no feeling whatsoever in the playing from jagger's solo band. i would take the stones' at their worst over this band, purely because of the difference in feeling.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 24, 2013 01:28

svt22 doesn't know what he's talking about in the majority of his posts...Just looking for attention.

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: June 24, 2013 06:39

Is the Ferrari still in the garage? YEP.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 24, 2013 06:49

svt22
triceratops
MisterDDDD

This is like when Frank,Dean and Sammy when out on the road in the late 80s I think it was. Years past their prime. Dean new it was a joke and left the tour. They got Liza to fill in and still all are moms and dads paid big money to relive the past! Frank kept it up till he had to read a prompter for the lyrics... sad really. Lennon said they'd be congratulating the Stones on being together 100the years cause they can't hack it on their own.

Here is Jagger doing great!!! What do you mean can't hack it on their opwn!! What a base insult!!! (/sarcasm) You gotta love his corny schtick before his singing starts. The Japanese loved it!!!! To pieces!!!

Uh..
Not my quote..

Mine as the sarcastic reply to that ridiculous comparison!!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 22, 2013 10:46

ohcarol

Yeah.
It's JUST like that.

Or like Glen Campbell on Alzheimer's.

Lol.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 24, 2013 09:39

Mathijs
svt22
sonomastone
kleermaker
svt22

WARNING WARNING! NEVER TAKE THE POSTER KNOWN AS SVT22/AMSTERDAMNED/V4 OR WHATEVER SERIOUSLY! WHATEVER HE SAYS ABOUT THE STONES OR TAYLOR: IT'S ALL UTTER RUBBISH!

THIS GUY HAS BEEN BANNED NOW FOR 3 TIMES AND FOR A REASON: HE IS A SCHIZOPHRENIC WITH A HUGE DRUG AND ALCOHOL PROBLEM, TALKING STRAIGHT OUT OF HIS ASS FOR JUST ABOUT EACH AND EVERY POST ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD!

BEWARE: DO NOT TAKE PERSONAL ACTION. IMMEDIATE ACTION BY ALLERTING THE MODERATOR OF THIS BOARD BY HITTING THE 'REPORT THIS MESSAGE' BUTTON IS THE ONLY APPROPRIATE APPROACH TO THIS DANGEROUS POSTER.

Mathijs

Wow.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 24, 2013 11:57

71Tele
Mathijs
svt22
sonomastone
kleermaker
svt22

Mathijs

Wow.

Yep. Dutch humour?eye popping smiley

- Doxa

Date: June 24, 2013 12:03

Does that include me, my dear Doxa? smiling smiley

Date: June 24, 2013 12:17

svt22

Hmm.. I don't know (but you took calmly that post of Mathijs)... But you surely made history here at IORR for defending Jagger's solo live band... a rather unconvential opinion I would say mildly...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-24 12:20 by Doxa.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 24, 2013 12:20

Doxa
71Tele
Mathijs
svt22
sonomastone
kleermaker
svt22

Mathijs

Wow.

- Doxa

No, a Dutch warning.

Mathijs

Date: June 24, 2013 13:40

Doxa
svt22

Hmm.. I don't know (but you took calmly that post of Mathijs)... But you surely made history here at IORR for defending Jagger's solo live band... a rather unconvential opinion I would say mildly...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Apparently it must have been a trauma to several people here witnessing Jagger's unfaithful and superior (imo) musical behavior towards Richards and a relief to see them remarry again. Yes, he's a musical bastard, this Jagger.grinning smiley

Date: June 24, 2013 15:16

Mathijs
Doxa
71Tele
Mathijs
svt22
sonomastone
kleermaker
svt22

Mathijs

Wow.

- Doxa

No, a Dutch warning.

Mathijs

Dutch rudeness.

Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: June 24, 2013 16:15

Better than a Dutch oven.

Date: June 24, 2013 20:33

svt22
DandelionPowderman

We can debate about this for ages DP, but this clip also clearly shows that the Stones don't sound like this band. Rip is doing a great job to me. And sure all the Vais and Satrianies and Phillips admire their heroes, just like Richards and Taylor and Watts admire their heroes. And I'm sure all the Richards and Taylors and Charlies admire the newer and more technical skilled players as well. Technique doesn't exclude feeling, even in rock music. The world keeps turning into the future.

Jagger + Satriani - Live 87-88 = Professional, competent, terrible feel
Jagger + Stones - Live 88 onwards = Sometimes competent, great feel
Jagger + Stones - Live 88 onwards = Often incompetent (feel is irrelevant when you are incompetent and especially when feel is used as an apologetic cover for incompetence)
Jagger + Rip (WEBSTER HALL) - 1993 - Professional, competent, great feel different from Stones
Keith Richards + WINOS - Competent, great feel, different from Stones (X factor is the competent Waddy Wachtel)
Jagger + Foo Fighters -SNL- 2013 - Professional, competent, great feel, different from Stones, surpasses any Stones live version of It's Only Rock n Roll
Jagger + Arcade Fire -SNL - 2013 - Professional, competent, great feel, different from Stones

Date: June 24, 2013 20:51

Competence and feel are closer than kissing cousins to me. It's the same.

Date: June 24, 2013 20:55

'X factor is the competent Waddy Wachtel'

'Stones live 88'

Nuff said...

Date: June 24, 2013 20:56

Time is starting to run out, so...

MORE TAYLOR PLEASE!cool smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 24, 2013 22:02

svt22
triceratops
MisterDDDD

I think the band play much sharper and tighter than the Stones play, and perhaps have ever (and not in a good way) but they also sound somehow soulless, and just haven't got any kind of swing, and especially from a drumming perspective. I think Charlie as a drummer is often very undervalued by fans because he's not a flamboyant type of player (like for example Keith Moon), and yet this live version proves just how vital he is to the effectiveness of the overall Stones sound. The drummer here seems just intent on maintaining a constant (and irritating) beat, but Charlie really allows the song to open up and breathe within the economy of his playing. As i read somewhere once, it's not just what you play that matters, sometimes it's what you leave out that's just as important.

Date: June 24, 2013 22:16

DandelionPowderman
'X factor is the competent Waddy Wachtel'
Nuff said...

Keith put together a fantastic live band and Waddy is the X factor in that live band to me. Keith himself shines when he is challenged. Keith needs the competence and the versatility of a Waddy to keep him focussed on the music. The Winos sound exactly like what we want them to sound like - loose and seemingly falling apart but are pulled tight just in the nick of time and somehow holding the groove together. It is what many of us have wanted from the Stones for along time. It is but one of the key missing ingredients in the professional and competent Jagger solo outfit. The Stones havent had a guitarist with the versatility or the caliber of Waddy Wachtel in a long time.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7576777879808182838485...LastNext
Current Page: 80 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1836
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home