Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Least favorite song on "Some Girls"
Posted by: ifyacantrockme ()
Date: April 27, 2013 07:04

While jamming to "Some Girls" today and admiring it, there is a song on the album I'm not too keen on. For some reason "Lies" has never gotten my rocks off. It's solid and fast and rockin' but no where as good as the other fast rock tunes on the album...imho.

What is your least favorite song on this classic album??

Re: Least favorite song on "Some Girls"
Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 27, 2013 07:08

Lies is the only weak song on the album IMO. Some Girls should have bee a double album I like some of the bonus tracks better than what came out. And it still has not all been released. Let's Go Steady, Fiji Jim, Everlasting Is My Love and a few others have still not been released.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 27, 2013 07:21

I've always liked it. They played it better live in '78 than on the record.
Live, it had more of a Whip Comes Down feel. And that tape edit after the solo is pretty obvious. The recorded version is pretty fast and frantic, but so is Summer Romance (which I like ,too).

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 27, 2013 07:28

Agree. Lies is the only weak track. It's okay.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 27, 2013 07:31

To me "Lies" is a reference and response to the contemporary punk scene. Therefore I really think it is a key track. I quite like it and that reference. In my view, punk and new wave vitalized the Stones.

[ An early outtake of "Hang Fire" also has got that reference, where I am very frustrated by the album version from TATTOO YOU. I do love that outtake.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-27 07:32 by Witness.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 27, 2013 07:42

Honestly, I think thats a stellar album, mainly because the middle run is incredible. I think Lies is a brilliant rocker, same with Respectable, When The Whip Comes Down. Some amazing material on there. Not that its any surprise. Funnily enough, my two least favorite tracks are the opening and closing ones. Miss You. I mean, come on. Its grown on me, I don't hate it, but I hate that its one of their biggest songs. Its fine, its ok, but compared to the rest of the album, it is so below par on such a strong album.

Then there's Shattered. Just a personal song of mine I've never really liked. Again, its fine, its ok, I just thought after such a strong album its such a weak closer. I never liked the way its set up, how its song, just the whole thing kind of annoys me. But every other track I genuinely think is brilliant. If I were to have a third least favorite, it would be Beast Of Burden, but for me thats so far above the other two.

So yeah, either Miss You or Shattered. Its a tie. The rest of the album is so awesome.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 27, 2013 08:18

Lies is a throwaway, the only clinker on the album. I think Claudine should have gone in that spot.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 27, 2013 08:26

never liked lies or shattered that much. but i've never listened to lies as a response to the punk scene, maybe i'll like it better with that perspective.

i think it's a travesty whenever they do shattered live... just not a great tune for this band. maybe mick should have used it as his first solo single and things would have turned out differently.

Date: April 27, 2013 08:33

Love them all, Lies included. If I had to pick one it would be Imagination, which is good, but way better live.

Lies has the drive many of the other songs except whip and Respectable don't have, imo.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: April 27, 2013 08:34

I like "Lies", good weaving. Personally the title track is my least favorite. I think it's kind of boring and repetitive.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 27, 2013 08:38

Far Away Eyes. Jagger's fake country drawl is mildly idiotic.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 27, 2013 08:42

DandelionPowderman
Lies has the drive many of the other songs except whip and Respectable don't have, imo.
100% agree.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: April 27, 2013 08:46

ab
Far Away Eyes. Jagger's fake country drawl is mildly idiotic.

I've always taken Mick's fake southern accent on their earlier country songs as being sort of tongue in cheek, but on Far Away Eyes he goes for straight parody I think. I've always found it a very humorous song though, so I enjoy it. And I'm not a country fan, I enjoy Wild Horses and Dead Flowers because they aren't TOO country, Far Away Eyes is over the top country though. But I've always sort of taken it as a bit of a joke.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 27, 2013 09:40

Lies and Shattered are rather weak. The strength of Some Girls mainly lies in the elegant mix and production. From a songwriting perspective the Stones did many better albums.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 27, 2013 11:01

Great post.........

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 27, 2013 11:10

The album's claim to greatness is to me due to the utmost strength of three superior songs and the directness, immediacy and vitality that almost all the songs have got (partly one possible exception).

Which three songs? Apparently not as obvious as one would have thought,which:

"Miss you" (working both as a superb disco and a magnificent non-disco song at the same time),

"Faraway Eyes"
NoCode0680

I've always taken Mick's fake southern accent on their earlier country songs as being sort of tongue in cheek, but on Far Away Eyes he goes for straight parody I think. I've always found it a very humorous song though, so I enjoy it. And I'm not a country fan, I enjoy Wild Horses and Dead Flowers because they aren't TOO country, Far Away Eyes is over the top country though. But I've always sort of taken it as a bit of a joke.
however, with a sensational non-musical quality embodied into the song's singing, a compassion and sympathy in the refrains that are almost unsurpassable in that respect,

and "Shattered" (from rock stardom life back on to the street).

And the partly exception from immediacy and directness, yes
DandelionPowderman
.................. If I had to pick one it would be Imagination, which is good, but way better live.

................quote]

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: April 27, 2013 11:22

Love the entire album.... There's not really any song I dont like or ever skip.

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: April 27, 2013 11:33

24FPS
Lies is a throwaway, the only clinker on the album. I think Claudine should have gone in that spot.
In that era Punk was the rising as a raw reaction to over produced disco and glam rock.

To me Some Girls showed that the Stones were still up there and fully in touch with what was going on. Looking back you may prefer Claudine over Lies but at the time it was one of the pieces that made the album work.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: April 27, 2013 11:36

ifyacantrockme
While jamming to "Some Girls" today and admiring it, there is a song on the album I'm not too keen on. For some reason "Lies" has never gotten my rocks off. It's solid and fast and rockin' but no where as good as the other fast rock tunes on the album...imho.

What is your least favorite song on this classic album??

I love the entire album, but If I'd have to take one song out of the album - it would be the title track. The song Some Girls is my least favorite song. It's mediocre song at best. It's got funny lyrics but that's about it. In fact - I think the version on Shine A Light movie was better than the orginal album version.

I think Lies is a good punk rock song. I love it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-27 11:40 by seitan.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 27, 2013 11:52

I too like Lies a lot. Full of swagger and NY. And Jagger is pissed! Probably least fav on the album, hard choice, would be Far Away Eyes. But I do like the song! One of those perfect Stones albums!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: April 27, 2013 12:01

Miss You, without any doubt. The stain on a great album ...

Date: April 27, 2013 12:17

The perfect single off a perfect album. It's different, sexy and impossible to forget, imo.

Posted by: EG1964 ()
Date: April 27, 2013 12:25

I personally thought this record was an act of courage... it was in the middle/late 70's... even then people thought they were OLD....this record proved they were still relative, creative..the art work is priceless.... and LIES is a great tune...this band found itself again on this record... and the next one was TATOO YOU.... WOW! What a follow up... but on NO SECURITY TOUR.. to see/hear Some Girls LIVE.... dream come true....

On the 8th day GOD created the Rolling Stones... the Dead wasnt until the 10th day....he need a break after giving us Keith...lol

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: April 27, 2013 12:37

DandelionPowderman
The perfect single off a perfect album. It's different, sexy and impossible to forget, imo.

Absolutely....Particularly the 12 inch

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: April 27, 2013 12:45

It's always amazing, the differences of opinion. For me, Beast of Burden is the very best thing the Stones have done since Exile, and one of my favorite songs by them period. Shattered is a perfect capture of the '77 New York zeitgeist, at least on record, even if it lagged as a live song. Those two and Before They Make Me Run form the core of the record for me. The wit of Far Away Eyes and the strong Temptations cover are good ballast. Miss You is what it is. Whip rocks. And Lies is the one that doesn't quite make it.

Posted by: EG1964 ()
Date: April 27, 2013 12:51

People dressed in plastic bags, directing traffic..... some kind of fashion....freaking awesome

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 27, 2013 13:12

1. Miss You
2. When the Whip Comes Down
3. Imagination
4. Some Girls
5. Lies
6. Far Away Eyes
7. Respectable

9. Beast of Burden
10. Shattered

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 27, 2013 13:49

DandelionPowderman
Love them all, Lies included. If I had to pick one it would be Imagination, which is good, but way better live.

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-27 13:49 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 27, 2013 15:10

...when the album finishes ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 27, 2013 15:28

the only thing as good as Some Girls since Some Girls are the out takes....the entire package is awesome.....anything else are just Lies you dirty jezebel.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1199
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home