Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Least favorite song on "Some Girls"
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 27, 2013 15:55

i love the still life version of shattered, the changing pace of the song and the finale are great.

im not a fan of beast of burden and i see it is up near the top of the stones greatest songs, for me its overrated and below average.

although i like some girls album, it is as overrated as goats head soup and its only rock and roll are underrated.

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: April 27, 2013 16:00

I never cared for Respectable.

Some Girls isn't one of my favourite albums, but I love Miss You, BTMMR, Beast of Burden and Far Away Eyes.

Posted by: TheBoss ()
Date: April 27, 2013 17:23

LOVE it all, but for Shattered. Never understood the seemingly universal like for this mess.

Rgds
Rod
Perth

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 27, 2013 17:48

Hate Shattered too

;-)

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: April 27, 2013 18:36

if "Everything turning to gold"had taken the place of "Lies"......what a great album we had !!!!

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: April 27, 2013 22:30

I like all the songs on the album, but "Respectable" just seems to run out of steam quickly.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 27, 2013 23:14

Girl w Faraway Eyes ... corny and funny the first few times but then the faux southern accent grates. They should have done it straight up and skipped the parody

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 27, 2013 23:15

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-28 02:35 by triceratops.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 27, 2013 23:18

You could say that Lies is the weak track from Some Girls, but that's only because unlike so many other Stones tracks it doesn't have a memorable hook, it's just a full-on blitz that could only have been written at that time as a reaction to punk, and on any other album it might have stood out as a bit flat.

A poster above mentioned that Claudine should have been included in its place, but this would have distracted from the focus of the album, which was New York punk, funk, and disco (even Faraway Eyes, which sounds like a punk band doing a piss-take on country). Lies works for Some Girls, a tight little rocker sequenced in just the right place to keep the album flowing along from start to finish.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: April 27, 2013 23:27

I don't mind Lies and I'm OK with Some Girls but I'd like it better without the lyrics; I'm not some rabid feminist - it's not the content that bothers me - I just think the words fall cloud some good riffs. I like the sound of Shattered. My least fave is Imagination. smoking smiley

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 27, 2013 23:32

memphiscats
I don't mind Lies and I'm OK with Some Girls but I'd like it better without the lyrics; I'm not some rabid feminist - it's not the content that bothers me - I just think the words fall cloud some good riffs. I like the sound of Shattered. My least fave is Imagination. smoking smiley

Come on mc, you there have been times when you start singing "Its just mymagination runnnnnin way with me.... just mymagnation ohhhhhhuuuuuu"

Date: April 27, 2013 23:35

Max'sKansasCity
memphiscats

Come on mc, you there have been times when you start singing "Its just mymagination runnnnnin way with me.... just mymagnation ohhhhhhuuuuuu"
Well just 'cause I sing it doesn't mean I really like it. My favorite part is at the end (no, I'm not trying to be cute)...runaway, runaway, runaway (at least I think that's what they're saying.) BTW...Miss you! smoking smiley

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: April 27, 2013 23:41

I might be the only person in the entire world to say this, but the only song that I don't like anymore is Miss You.

I liked all 10 when it came out but sick of MY now...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 27, 2013 23:43

memphiscats
Max'sKansasCity
memphiscats

Well just 'cause I sing it doesn't mean I really like it. My favorite part is at the end (no, I'm not trying to be cute)...runaway, runaway, runaway (at least I think that's what they're saying.) BTW...Miss you! smoking smiley

HEHEHEHE cool smiley

You dont have to try to be cute, you cute just being you, cutie... and I always miss you when you dont post fpr awhile... especially when I wanna say something like, hey did you see that cool website Kowalski showed us today, the live Neil all day all night 24/7 [www.rustradio.org] ... but you email me anytime you want... just in case, so no one comes in YELLING AT US for chit chatting too much in the wrong thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-27 23:44 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 27, 2013 23:53

"Lies" is my least favorite on Some Girls, but I still like it. There's an outtake version that's better, where Mick yells "1, 2, 3, 4!" at the beginning, and then later yells out chord changes. It's more powerful (including Charlie's drums) and sloppier, in a good way. I listen to it more than the "official" version of "Lies."

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: April 28, 2013 00:20

It's a perfect record. A little of everything. A real music connoseur's album. It's everything that's great about them. A little bit of rock, a little country, a little disco. There's something for everyone on this record. I like all the songs. Sometimes I get tired of some songs for a few years, but there does come a point where all old things become new again and I find I rediscover them. Like in the past couple of years Just My Imagination became a favorite again for the first time in decades. I love when I fall in love with an old song again then I have to play it over and over again.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 28, 2013 00:29

sanQ
It's a perfect record. A little of everything. A real music connoseur's album. It's everything that's great about them. A little bit of rock, a little country, a little disco. There's something for everyone on this record. I like all the songs. Sometimes I get tired of some songs for a few years, but there does come a point where all old things become new again and I find I rediscover them. Like in the past couple of years Just My Imagination became a favorite again for the first time in decades. I love when I fall in love with an old song again then I have to play it over and over again.
Enjoy "Some Girls", so do I, but does a little thing of this, a little thing of that, a little thing for everyone make a great album? I prefer "Undercover" and many songs afterwards to SG.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: April 28, 2013 00:30

Love Lies - one of my faves. Not a single weak track on the album. Title track and BTMMR probably my "least favourites".

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: April 28, 2013 00:32

Beast of bourban

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 28, 2013 00:34

sanQ
There's something for everyone on this record.

It's completely devoid of experimental pop and psychedelia, so no, it's not an album with something for everyone. grinning smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 28, 2013 01:02

By the way...Lies isn't only the baddest song on Some Girls it's the baddest Stone song ever recorded, did someone mention an answer to Punk? they did their Punk already in '65.........

Date: April 28, 2013 01:40

Max'sKansasCity
memphiscats
Max'sKansasCity
memphiscats

HEHEHEHE cool smiley

You dont have to try to be cute, you cute just being you, cutie... and I always miss you when you dont post fpr awhile... especially when I wanna say something like, hey did you see that cool website Kowalski showed us today, the live Neil all day all night 24/7 [www.rustradio.org] ... but you email me anytime you want... just in case, so no one comes in YELLING AT US for chit chatting too much in the wrong thread
thumbs upsmileys with beerdrinking smiley Been a bit crazy lately...you know how it is when the Whip Comes Down...smoking smiley

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 28, 2013 02:07

EG1964
I personally thought this record was an act of courage... it was in the middle/late 70's... even then people thought they were OLD....this record proved they were still relative, creative..the art work is priceless.... and LIES is a great tune...this band found itself again on this record... and the next one was TATOO YOU.... WOW! What a follow up... but on NO SECURITY TOUR.. to see/hear Some Girls LIVE.... dream come true....

On the 8th day GOD created the Rolling Stones... the Dead wasnt until the 10th day....he need a break after giving us Keith...lol

Actually it was Emotional Rescue that was the follow up to Some Girls - at least chronologically. Of course its very easy to forget that one - harmless and good though it was.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 28, 2013 02:11

Shattered and Some Girls. Both are terrible. Beast of Burden and Respectable are OK. The rest is second rate filler.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1419
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home