Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ron Wood vocals on Stones songs
Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: April 26, 2013 22:14

Ron is audible on backup vocals on "I'm Gonna Drive". I can't think of another example offhand, except for the infamous unreleased "You Got it Made", also from the great Voodoo sessions. I like his rough vocs, and he is underutilized, IMHO, for that purpose and of course for his songwriting talent.

I can't even think of any other Stones song where he is distinctly audible. Surely there must be something from the late 70s/early 80s?

Re: Ron Wood vocals on Stones songs
Date: April 26, 2013 22:17

Miss you, Far away eyes and Shattered!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 26, 2013 22:20

No Use in Crying (he's a co-writer of that one too)

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 26, 2013 22:23

Always sings back up on @#$%&

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 26, 2013 22:26

The famously infamous Hey Negrita which they appear to have forgotten they wrote...

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: April 26, 2013 22:28

Thanks, I'll give them a close listen. Nice excuse to put on some headphones.

I've always been curious as to where I can hear Bill and Brian as well. And then of course Charlie(!) is credited on Babylon.

Live, the only time I've personally witnessed Ron singing was on Starfu**er in 1997 (couldn't hear him though).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-26 22:30 by Sipuncula.

Date: April 26, 2013 22:30

Brian on Walking the dog. Bill on Time is on my side.

Date: April 26, 2013 22:47

Bill sings backup on "In Another Land" too

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: April 26, 2013 23:06

You can hear Ronnie quite distinctly on "Saint of Me". I think his voice works well on that one.

Date: April 26, 2013 23:29

Munichhilton
Bill sings backup on "In Another Land" too

I thought that were Steve and Laney winking smiley

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: April 27, 2013 00:33

Ronnie's on Wanna Hold You

Very interesting as Keith states that he plays guitar and sings while Mick is on the drums on this track in its original version.

Wanna Hold You comes from one night I rented a basement from a guy who has a studio in the bottom of his house. I got into Paris and I got together with this guy, and Mick came over there, and we were there 2 or 3 nights, just a basement studio. And that song just came up one night. Me, I was playing guitar, screaming into the mike, and Mick was playing drums, and it just came out. It was a throwback in a nice kind of way for me. The structure is very early sort of Lennon & McCartney, let alone the title, which suggests I Want to Hold Your Hand. So I decided to leave it at that 'cause that was the general idea. It was just a good bash, you know. I wanted to leave it like that and not work it to death or change the title. Normally, I might've rewritten it, but I decided to leave it as a dumb pop song. It has a very universal desire, especially when you're very frightened or lonely, or cold. And it just came out in one night. I still have the original tape with Mick playing drums and it's actually quite good.

- Keith Richards, 1983

www.timeisonourside.com

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 27, 2013 04:10

Several songs on B&B.

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: April 27, 2013 04:19

Give Ronnie a lead vocal on the next album!

Date: April 27, 2013 08:39

uhbuhgullayew
Ronnie's on Wanna Hold You

Very interesting as Keith states that he plays guitar and sings while Mick is on the drums on this track in its original version.

Wanna Hold You comes from one night I rented a basement from a guy who has a studio in the bottom of his house. I got into Paris and I got together with this guy, and Mick came over there, and we were there 2 or 3 nights, just a basement studio. And that song just came up one night. Me, I was playing guitar, screaming into the mike, and Mick was playing drums, and it just came out. It was a throwback in a nice kind of way for me. The structure is very early sort of Lennon & McCartney, let alone the title, which suggests I Want to Hold Your Hand. So I decided to leave it at that 'cause that was the general idea. It was just a good bash, you know. I wanted to leave it like that and not work it to death or change the title. Normally, I might've rewritten it, but I decided to leave it as a dumb pop song. It has a very universal desire, especially when you're very frightened or lonely, or cold. And it just came out in one night. I still have the original tape with Mick playing drums and it's actually quite good.

- Keith Richards, 1983

www.timeisonourside.com

There is a boot out there (Undercover Sessions?) with the take with Mick on drums

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 27, 2013 13:43

Really? Do you remember which one? I'm an outtake junkie and don't remember ever seeing it surface!

Date: April 28, 2013 20:42

I had the vinyl, but unfortunately I left it at a party and never located it again. I'm pretty sure the boot is called undercover outtakes, though.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 28, 2013 20:50

OneHit

I agree he should sing one! He is underutilized indeed. But it should be added that "Black Limousine" is one of the Stones' best songs of all time. The 95 version rules.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 29, 2013 10:35

DandelionPowderman
I had the vinyl, but unfortunately I left it at a party and never located it again. I'm pretty sure the boot is called undercover outtakes, though.

ok, maybe it's something I have and didn't pay attention, I do remember UC boots with Wanna Hold You, will check again!

Date: April 29, 2013 10:39

There are several (complete and inclomplete) versions of I wanna hold you there. One of them is with Mick on drums, or at least that's what the credits say.

Date: April 29, 2013 12:03

Just loved it when they were blending the 3 voices of Mick, Keith and Ron, Chiefly on B&B and SG, ER albums. But he is in some TY and UC tracks too.
As much as I miss Keith and Mick on a mike, I miss the BU vocals like in 78: Ron and Keith yowling some ragged "ho-yo's" back there.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 29, 2013 21:44

OneHit

I'd be happy if they'd just let him WRITE. Clearly he still can do a good job writing (Coming Together).

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 29, 2013 23:11

Munichhilton
The famously infamous Hey Negrita which they appear to have forgotten they wrote...

Nonsense! He was credited with "inspiration". Nice gesture, but I would have insisted on the real credit. Hard to pay your bills with "inspiration" credits.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: April 29, 2013 23:19

Sipuncula
Ron is audible on backup vocals on "I'm Gonna Drive". I can't think of another example offhand, except for the infamous unreleased "You Got it Made", also from the great Voodoo sessions. I like his rough vocs, and he is underutilized, IMHO, for that purpose and of course for his songwriting talent.

I can't even think of any other Stones song where he is distinctly audible. Surely there must be something from the late 70s/early 80s?

He plays the guitar already...

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: April 29, 2013 23:40

Woodie is all involved in many of the tracks from Dirty Works!

Date: April 29, 2013 23:47

71Tele
Munichhilton

Nonsense! He was credited with "inspiration". Nice gesture, but I would have insisted on the real credit. Hard to pay your bills with "inspiration" credits.

Can't argue with that...nope

Posted by: tklawson ()
Date: April 30, 2013 01:26

Sipuncula
Thanks, I'll give them a close listen. Nice excuse to put on some headphones.

I've always been curious as to where I can hear Bill and Brian as well. And then of course Charlie(!) is credited on Babylon.

Live, the only time I've personally witnessed Ron singing was on Starfu**er in 1997 (couldn't hear him though).

Ronnie can be seen and heard singing backup on Some Girls Live In Texas.

Date: April 30, 2013 01:30

As well as on several songs on the entire 81/82 tour...

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: April 30, 2013 04:39

Palace Revolution 2000
Just loved it when they were blending the 3 voices of Mick, Keith and Ron, Chiefly on B&B and SG, ER albums. But he is in some TY and UC tracks too.
As much as I miss Keith and Mick on a mike, I miss the BU vocals like in 78: Ron and Keith yowling some ragged "ho-yo's" back there.

Me too, I loved it when they blended the vocals. I wonder why they stopped doing that. It was a great sound for them.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: April 30, 2013 05:39

Woody sings on Just My Imagination. Among finest backing vocals since Exile on that one and the last truly superior cover Stones recorded IMHO.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home