Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: MICK JAGGER PLEASE STOP PLAYING IT SAFE!!!
Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 22, 2013 18:02

rambler44
John&Trish
How about Mick, Keith, Charlie & Ronnie just pick whatever THEY feel like playing...would love to hear their picks. What a concert that would be!

Perhaps we should leave Mick out of it since he has been the one picking the same tired setlist for the past 20 years.

can't we please leave it to chuck? chuck hates the warhorses, you know. hates 'em as much as any of us.

Posted by: BingotheCabbie ()
Date: April 22, 2013 18:05

quoted wrong

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-22 18:11 by BingotheCabbie.

Date: April 22, 2013 18:10

dcba

"Heaven" with its slow tempo and its repetitive structure is a guaranteed disaster live.

I respectfully disagree 100%.

In my opinion a live show is a living organism, it has it's highs and lows. Push and pull. Release and tension.

Let's just say for argument sake they played the following songs in a row:

Midnight Rambler
CYHMK
Street Fighting Man
Hot Stuff

Those four songs played in a row would have the crowd in a frenzy from dancing their asses off....that's about 30-40 minutes of pure dancing bliss.

Now you need a song that is mellow to catch your breath and relax....then they go into Heaven.

Midnight Rambler
CYHMK
Street Fighting Man
Hot Stuff
Heaven

^^^Not a bad looking partial setlist.

Date: April 22, 2013 18:12

a living organism, eh? i was rooting for a living orgasm, but ok....

Date: April 22, 2013 18:13

My gut feeling was someone was going to comment on that sentence.....lol

Date: April 22, 2013 18:14

BingotheCabbie
My gut feeling was someone was going to comment on that sentence.....lol

i'm in a very generous mood today....

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 22, 2013 18:17

At this point in their careers, the Stones shouldn't give a rat's ass if they piss off the " fans" who come to hear the HITS! They are the casual fans, not the ones who have REALLY supported them ( especially financially by buying EVERYTHING STONES RELATED for 50 YEARS!) Give it up, play for the real fans !! Let it loose, for God's SAKE!

Posted by: Tonyz ()
Date: April 22, 2013 18:18

You're getting 10,000+ casual fans who just paid hundreds of dollars to hear the songs that they've always heard on the radio.

If you think you're getting a rarity setlist on this tour, you're kidding yourself. One or two a show, sure. But it's gonna be hit after hit after hit.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 22, 2013 18:28

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
John&Trish
How about Mick, Keith, Charlie & Ronnie just pick whatever THEY feel like playing...would love to hear their picks. What a concert that would be!

That would be far too dangerous...we need to pick for them.

just you, john & trish?

Never trusted Trish, but I think I can work with John...we'll see

Date: April 22, 2013 18:28

Tonyz
You're getting 10,000+ casual fans who just paid hundreds of dollars to hear the songs that they've always heard on the radio.

If you think you're getting a rarity setlist on this tour, you're kidding yourself. One or two a show, sure. But it's gonna be hit after hit after hit.

we know. but until it happens, hope springs eternal. and then our hopes are shattered and splattered and we slink back to our miserable lives again. like clockwork.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: April 22, 2013 18:35

Do casual fans pay those prices?!

Date: April 22, 2013 18:41

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
John&Trish

just you, john & trish?

yeah, the patricia-becomes-trish thing makes you wonder. i bet you could work with patricia....

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 22, 2013 18:55

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
John&Trish

just you, john & trish?

yeah, the patricia-becomes-trish thing makes you wonder. i bet you could work with patricia....

love the trish.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 22, 2013 18:55

DandelionPowderman
I think the problem is that the last half of the show (and partly the order of songs) is somewhat un-altered.

Yes. It's like they have to play Sympathy for the Devil (and by the way, ENOUGH, it's not that thrilling anymore, Mick. No one thinks you're the devil at 70.) Then they go into this whirling dervish of sped up warhorses, trying to get them all in, doing justice to none.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 22, 2013 19:01

TheBlockbuster
On the 5 shows in 2012 these songs were played that could be considered ''rare'':

I Wanna Be Your Man
Get Off Of My Cloud
It's All Over Now
All Down The Line
Going Down
Out Of Control
The Last Time
Lady Jane
Champagne And Reefer
Live With Me
Respectable
Around And Around
Dead Flowers
Who Do You Love

Thats 14 rare (not obscure) songs of totally 31 played on the 50 & counting tour.

Okay, a few of them (my bold letters) are rare. But I've heard Dead Flowers way too many times. And Live With Me (at least in that Vegasy way). They did She Smiled Sweetly like ONCE in 2002 in New York I think. I've only heard it on a really poor quality download but it was magnificent. They seem to have no desire to proudly display their legacy.

Date: April 22, 2013 19:02

24FPS
They seem to have no desire to proudly display their legacy.

shyness is a noble quality, no?

Date: April 22, 2013 19:40

GRNRBITW
24FPS

As is musical insecurity

Date: April 22, 2013 19:45

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
24FPS

As is musical insecurity

they may be the noblest band ever if this keeps going like this...

Date: April 22, 2013 19:49

I tend to think of The Stones as performers instead of musicians. Eric Clapton is a musician, not a performer.

The Stones perform their songs, Clapton plays his songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-22 19:49 by BingotheCabbie.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 22, 2013 19:51

Tonyz

It is completely amazing that there are people who think that anything other than what you describe is what is going to happen. Amazing. You have a better chance of hearing Brian Jones sing Heaven in the actual Heaven than you do of hearing jagger sing it at one of these shows.

Date: April 22, 2013 19:53

BingotheCabbie
I tend to think of The Stones as performers instead of musicians. Eric Clapton is a musician, not a performer.

The Stones perform their songs, Clapton plays his songs.

we're gonna need to take this back to committee for further consideration....hang on.

Posted by: Starr ()
Date: April 22, 2013 20:24

Rollingfreak says "forget about the audience" - I have never heard such utter rubbish - MICK TAKE NO NOTICE - hardcore fans WANT the hits, you are RIGHT. I have been playing the Stones all my life and I have been going to Stones gigs all my adult life - and I still want the hits and warhorses - I would be disappointed if they were not played. If the band wish to insert one or two more obscure songs now and again, that's great, and that's what they have been doing for years successfully, so why change a winning formula? I am a hardcore fan - I have every Rolling Stones record in my collection - here is my suggestion for a setlist that 99% of everyone would enjoy in my opinion:-

1. Start me up
2. Lets spend the night together
3. Its all over now
4. Get off my cloud
5. Gimmie Shelter (with Lisa of course)
6. Love in vain
7. Live with me
8. Wild Horses
9. The spider and the fly
10. Its only rock n roll
11. Angie
12. Bitch
13. Honky Tonk Women
14. Slippin away (KR)
15. Little T & A (KR)
16. Midnight Rambler
17. As tears go by
18. Ruby Tuesday
19. Mothers little helper
20. Under my thumb
21. Out of time
22. Jumpin Jack Flash
23. Satisfaction
24. Brown sugar

This would make another GREAT GREAT show - the greatest show on earth!
See you at Hyde Park.

"till the next time..."

Star

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 22, 2013 20:33

"17. As tears go by
18. Ruby Tuesday
20. Under my thumb
21. Out of time"

"That part won't work!" MJ 2013 >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: April 22, 2013 21:16

As an alternative point of view, not necessarily my own view, but a handy compromise, I repeat a post that I entered in 2005.

I consider it very wise to give the people at large what they want. At the same time I think that is just as wise not to give the people all that they want. Give them part of it. That is, don't give them so much of it. Warhorses should be a mere privilege to experience, not the stable diet. Make people come back for more of something else of it - on another concert in some other city, possibly on another tour smiling smiley. Especially, make the journalists that create expectations in advance, themselves eagerly wonder which warhorses - by then not warhorses anymore, but special treats - it would be their privilege to experience. Turn arrogant journalists into enthusiastic listeners, spreading the message. Make even the die-hard fans crave for the songs that now make them frown in front of their PCs.

Dare I say it, something - a way of thinking - for Mick Jagger to consider?

Posted by: rambler44 ()
Date: April 22, 2013 21:20

Starr
Rollingfreak says "forget about the audience" - I have never heard such utter rubbish - MICK TAKE NO NOTICE - hardcore fans WANT the hits, you are RIGHT. I have been playing the Stones all my life and I have been going to Stones gigs all my adult life - and I still want the hits and warhorses - I would be disappointed if they were not played. If the band wish to insert one or two more obscure songs now and again, that's great, and that's what they have been doing for years successfully, so why change a winning formula? I am a hardcore fan - I have every Rolling Stones record in my collection - here is my suggestion for a setlist that 99% of everyone would enjoy in my opinion:-

1. Start me up
3. Its all over now
4. Get off my cloud
6. Love in vain
7. Live with me
8. Wild Horses
10. Its only rock n roll
11. Angie
12. Bitch
13. Honky Tonk Women
14. Slippin away (KR)
15. Little T & A (KR)
16. Midnight Rambler
17. As tears go by
18. Ruby Tuesday
20. Under my thumb
21. Out of time
22. Jumpin Jack Flash
23. Satisfaction
24. Brown sugar

See you at Hyde Park.

"till the next time..."

I bet you also enjoy eating the same lunch day after day. what a shame to have such a limited mind. and what is the point of bringing back Taylor and not hightlighting some of his work??

Date: April 22, 2013 21:42

rambler44
Starr

1. Start me up
3. Its all over now
4. Get off my cloud
6. Love in vain
7. Live with me
8. Wild Horses
10. Its only rock n roll
11. Angie
12. Bitch
13. Honky Tonk Women
14. Slippin away (KR)
15. Little T & A (KR)
16. Midnight Rambler
17. As tears go by
18. Ruby Tuesday
20. Under my thumb
21. Out of time
22. Jumpin Jack Flash
23. Satisfaction
24. Brown sugar

See you at Hyde Park.

"till the next time..."

I bet you also enjoy eating the same lunch day after day. what a shame to have such a limited mind. and what is the point of bringing back Taylor and not hightlighting some of his work??

Hey, Micky T can play the dulcimer or glockenspiel solos if he asks really super nicely

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: April 22, 2013 23:47

I AGREE STOP PLAYING IT SAFE

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 23, 2013 01:35

Judging by his comments whenever this comes up in interviews, its un -likely. My guess is on or two rarities will be played at the first few shows and will then be dropped. I don't know, call me psychic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-23 01:37 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 23, 2013 02:52

everyone can write the last 5 songs in their set....so if they feel they need those warhorses then great...so be it....but the first 13-15 song choices should be a little more inspired...Jagger and probably because his playmates...KR and RW have been so unprepared in recent years....may have become more conservative than he'd like....but the mini tour suggests he can count on KR again...so they'd be fools to give people another Bigger Bang which was another Licks, which was another........

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 23, 2013 03:13

rambler44 ---

You have a great idea. One or two concerts for super fans only/ There would be advance notification that only oldies and fan favorites would be played and a DVD will be issued. No old warhorses. Just the neglected tunes the super fans have been clamoring for

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1783
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home