Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: MICK JAGGER PLEASE STOP PLAYING IT SAFE!!!
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 23, 2013 03:16

I think they have made so many great songs in recent years, maybe for a spoiled world. C`mon now, "pek nese" to the majority!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-23 04:31 by noughties.

Date: April 23, 2013 04:22

For starters, dump Brown Sugar, Tumblin Dice, Honky Tonk Woman, and Sympathy. Replace them with Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, Moonlight Mile, and Don't Be A Stranger. Or build the entire tour around the Exile and Some Girls bonus tracks! And throw in Plundered My Soul.

Be bold, Mick, be bold! Let's close the show in style!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 23, 2013 05:01

JumpinJackOLantern
For starters, dump Brown Sugar, Tumblin Dice, Honky Tonk Woman, and Sympathy. Replace them with Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, Moonlight Mile, and Don't Be A Stranger. Or build the entire tour around the Exile and Some Girls bonus tracks! And throw in Plundered My Soul.

I'll take Brown Sugar or Tumbling Dice over Don't Be A Stranger 7 nights a week...

Date: April 23, 2013 05:22

Munichhilton
JumpinJackOLantern

I'll take Brown Sugar or Tumbling Dice over Don't Be A Stranger 7 nights a week...

If I hear either Brown Sugar or Tumbling Dice one more time I think I will vomit. Same for Honky Tonk Woman. Never did like it.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 23, 2013 05:28

I look forward to "Brown Sugar" and "Tumblin Dice."

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: April 23, 2013 05:32

JumpinJackOLantern
Munichhilton
JumpinJackOLantern

If I hear either Brown Sugar or Tumbling Dice one more time I think I will vomit. Same for Honky Tonk Woman. Never did like it.

Get ready to hurl then because they have played those at every show since '72...the majority of the audience would be pissed if they didn't. And quit dreaming about ANY of the outtakes from Exile or Some Girls, they will NEVER play any of them live!smiling smiley

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 23, 2013 09:34

There is an overlap, a large group of songs (singles) which are both rarely or never played which even casual fans should know (I know there are exceptions on the list like "Biggest Mistake" but it *was* a single and they've never played it). Consider:

Come On
Mother's Little Helper
Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow?
We Love You
She's A Rainbow
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Hot Stuff
Fool To Cry
Emotional Rescue
Hang Fire
She Was Hot
Too Much Blood
One Hit
Mixed Emotions
Rock And A Hard Place
Almost Hear You Sigh
Highwire
Sex Drive
Love Is Strong
I Go Wild
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Biggest Mistake
Plundered My Soul
No Spare Parts

I'm sure there are others but you get the drift.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 23, 2013 09:43

Glam Descendant
There is an overlap, a large group of songs (singles) which are both rarely or never played which even casual fans should know (I know there are exceptions on the list like "Biggest Mistake" but it *was* a single and they've never played it). Consider:

Come On
Mother's Little Helper
We Love You
She's A Rainbow
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Hot Stuff
Fool To Cry
Emotional Rescue
Hang Fire
She Was Hot
Too Much Blood
One Hit
Mixed Emotions
Rock And A Hard Place
Almost Hear You Sigh
Highwire
Sex Drive
Love Is Strong
I Go Wild
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Biggest Mistake
Plundered My Soul
No Spare Parts

Of those, I would say the only ones I casual fan would know are:

Mother's Little Helper

She's A Rainbow

Ain't Too Proud To Beg

Emotional Rescue

Hang Fire

Plundered My Soul

Other than that, the others were primarily during a period where there's a good chance you may never have heard them (or heard them once and never again). But yes, you have a point. And there's more than just singles that people would know that the Stones just don't play.

Salt Of The Earth

Ruby Tuesday

I'm Free

As Tears Go By

Not Fade Away

Angie

Beast Of Burden

She's A Rainbow

2000 Man

Time Is On My Side

I firmly believe people know these, either through radio play or buying Greatest Hits compilations. These could easily be played and I'm sure they'd be known.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 23, 2013 10:05

RollingFreak
Glam Descendant

Come On
Mother's Little Helper
We Love You
She's A Rainbow
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Hot Stuff
Fool To Cry
Emotional Rescue
Hang Fire
She Was Hot
Too Much Blood
One Hit
Mixed Emotions
Rock And A Hard Place
Almost Hear You Sigh
Highwire
Sex Drive
Love Is Strong
I Go Wild
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Biggest Mistake
Plundered My Soul
No Spare Parts

Mother's Little Helper

She's A Rainbow

Ain't Too Proud To Beg

Emotional Rescue

Hang Fire

Plundered My Soul

Other than that, the others were primarily during a period where there's a good chance you may never have heard them (or heard them once and never again). But yes, you have a point. And there's more than just singles that people would know that the Stones just don't play.

Salt Of The Earth

Ruby Tuesday

I'm Free

As Tears Go By

Not Fade Away

Angie

Beast Of Burden

She's A Rainbow

2000 Man

Time Is On My Side

I firmly believe people know these, either through radio play or buying Greatest Hits compilations. These could easily be played and I'm sure they'd be known.

"Fool To Cry", "Mixed Emotions" and "Love Is Strong" all received extensive airplay, certainly better-known than "Plundered My Soul". I don't think many people know "2000 Man" (but Rainbow is on my list). TIOMS is definitely due for a re-airing good call.

I forgot everyone's favorite single: "Winning Ugly"!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-23 10:10 by Glam Descendant.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 23, 2013 13:21

Glam Descendant

"Fool To Cry", "Mixed Emotions" and "Love Is Strong" all received extensive airplay, certainly better-known than "Plundered My Soul". I don't think many people know "2000 Man" (but Rainbow is on my list). TIOMS is definitely due for a re-airing good call.

Mixed Emotions should have been written and done by Bon Jovi and Sambora. It's their kind of rousing crowd pleaser, as a Stones tune it is at the bottom of my list. This is the Mick-Keith makeup song after their breakup.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 23, 2013 13:36

It really doesn't matter which songs they play it's how well they play them that matters.

Date: April 23, 2013 17:20

Glam Descendant
RollingFreak
Glam Descendant

Come On
Mother's Little Helper
We Love You
She's A Rainbow
Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Hot Stuff
Fool To Cry
Emotional Rescue
Hang Fire
She Was Hot
Too Much Blood
One Hit
Mixed Emotions
Rock And A Hard Place
Almost Hear You Sigh
Highwire
Sex Drive
Love Is Strong
I Go Wild
Anybody Seen My Baby?
Biggest Mistake
Plundered My Soul
No Spare Parts

Mother's Little Helper

She's A Rainbow

Ain't Too Proud To Beg

Emotional Rescue

Hang Fire

Plundered My Soul

Salt Of The Earth

Ruby Tuesday

I'm Free

As Tears Go By

Not Fade Away

Angie

Beast Of Burden

She's A Rainbow

2000 Man

Time Is On My Side

In a way I do agree with you. I think its more that you need to remember that the songs you are listing are 20 years old! People knew them, at the time. Casual fans nowadays, if you weren't 20 at that time, then you probably don't know those songs, which I think accounts for alot of the casual fanbase nowadays. Those songs didn't continue to be represented, thus they are forgotten. I almost included Fool To Cry on my list, but then I got hesitant to if people would actually know it. I said Plundered because its the same as what you were listing. It was a single, just as Mixed Emotions and Love Is Strong were, but it was recent. So if they were ever going to play something that had radio play that wasn't a stone cold classic, I think this would be it. With Love Is Strong, it was too long ago for it to be recognizable now. With Plundered, I think its been just enough years that people remember the song being touted and it would get a reaction. If you asked in 5 years, I'd say no, the song would be just as known as the others you mention.

Posted by: rambler44 ()
Date: April 24, 2013 00:49

People may not be familiar with "Fool to Cry" of "Mixed Emotions" or "Dance Little Sister" but they are great songs. when they were playing "Worried Bout You" a few years back many people did not know it. And at the two shows I heard it at, most people after it was over were like "that was great. is it new?" And I would tell them no it's not, it's actually pretty old. So I think you have to give people a little more credit that when the Stones play a great song even it is not well known, it will be enjoyed.

Date: April 24, 2013 00:53

rambler44
People may not be familiar with "Fool to Cry" of "Mixed Emotions" or "Dance Little Sister" but they are great songs. when they were playing "Worried Bout You" a few years back many people did not know it. And at the two shows I heard it at, most people after it was over were like "that was great. is it new?" And I would tell them no it's not, it's actually pretty old. So I think you have to give people a little more credit that when the Stones play a great song even it is not well known, it will be enjoyed.
I 100% agree. I love the songs you mentioned, just saying I don't think anyone would recognize it. There could be two reactions. One, they are upset because its not a classic (which is an idiotic response), or two, they actually listen to the song and maybe enjoy something new. I didn't know Worried About You when they played it because I didn't know much after Some Girls. When I heard it, I thought it was great! I discovered something new. And if they hadn't played it, there's a chance I never would have heard it. They need that confidence again.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 24, 2013 01:14

They can play whatever they want. All they have to do is play something a little rare, a little offbeat, and by the time the audience gets surly they can launch into some rusty warhorse and the suckers will be pumping their fists, the girls will be going 'whoo-hoo', and their dorm memories from Torpid University will come flooding back.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: April 24, 2013 03:20

Rokyfan
They're going to do the same thing they always do. They're not changing at this point.

That's why I'll buy the DVD

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 24, 2013 05:23

The thing about a song like Worried About you is it showcases just how great a frontman Mick really is its a really good song for him to showcase everything he can do as a frontman. He starts at the electric piano in falsetto and then he can venture away and just take the microphine and be Mick Jagger. A real highlight for him to perform and showcase his talents live.

Date: April 24, 2013 05:44

BingotheCabbie
I tend to think of The Stones as performers instead of musicians. Eric Clapton is a musician, not a performer.

The Stones perform their songs, Clapton plays his songs.

Exactly! Performing live (putting on a show) is what Mick has said they love to do the most. Their actions support his opinion. They are showmen first and artists second.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 24, 2013 05:46

JumpinJackOLantern
BingotheCabbie
I tend to think of The Stones as performers instead of musicians. Eric Clapton is a musician, not a performer.

Exactly! Performing live (putting on a show) is what Mick has said they love to do the most. Their actions support his opinion. They are showmen first and artists second.

Escape artists?

Date: April 24, 2013 05:48

71Tele
Play Exile from start to finish one night, Sticky the next, LIB the next, etc. That would at least be interesting.

And exciting!

Date: April 24, 2013 05:50

Really important to keep this thread at or near the top of the leader board. Mick needs to see this!

Date: April 24, 2013 05:51

Mr.D
JumpinJackOLantern
Munichhilton
JumpinJackOLantern

Get ready to hurl then because they have played those at every show since '72...the majority of the audience would be pissed if they didn't. And quit dreaming about ANY of the outtakes from Exile or Some Girls, they will NEVER play any of them live!smiling smiley

OK, I have a few plastic bags ready!

Date: April 24, 2013 05:53

Stoneage
Decades ago I would have agreed with you. By now they should stay with the warhorses and mix in maybe 2-3 new songs. Like the Vegas standard receipe. You might wish for this or that song but it won't be well executed on stage. Remember, they are old, some of them fighting illnesses or addictions and they spend maximum a couple of weeks (a year) rehearsing these days.

They could dump all the warhorses and it wouldn't make one damn bit of difference with ticket sales. I say they put my theory to the test!

Date: April 24, 2013 05:57

slew
The thing about a song like Worried About you is it showcases just how great a frontman Mick really is its a really good song for him to showcase everything he can do as a frontman. He starts at the electric piano in falsetto and then he can venture away and just take the microphine and be Mick Jagger. A real highlight for him to perform and showcase his talents live.

Exactly!

Date: April 24, 2013 06:00

JumpinJackOLantern
Really important to keep this thread at or near the top of the leader board. Mick needs to see this!

Most important thread in months!

Date: April 24, 2013 06:04

Stones should shock the world and open with "Fight"! Let the world know the days of the warhorses are over!

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: April 24, 2013 06:17

Nothing will change, the crowd cheers and is happy. Show is sold out, there will always be wealthy people willing to pay for a ticket to see the Stones. That's what matters.

If some of those people are not happy or hear a song they don't recognize that seems to be the biggest concern. Even its from an album that might be on all the lists they read in Rolling Stone that says Exile or Beggars Banquet is one of the greatest albums of all time.

Date: April 24, 2013 07:25

Munichhilton
JumpinJackOLantern
BingotheCabbie

Escape artists?

Escaped recording new music for the second leg of the 50 and Counting tour!

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: April 24, 2013 11:35

noughties
Problem is many concert goers go to a Stones concert just to have fun.

Fun? Fun! Bah! Humbug!!!! I only go to enjoy the warhorses, buy the merchandise and collate setlist stats.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 24, 2013 14:10

It's great to know so many people here are authorities on Jagger's mind.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1435
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home