Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: 'Jagger says we've probably seen the last of Wyman'
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 14, 2013 17:00

treaclefingers
crumbling_mice
Bill Wyman is becoming tiresome with all his bleating of late. He got into the band purely on the strength of having a decent amp. They kept him in the band throughout the 60's, 70's and 80's...There were many better bass players they could have used, but they stuck with Bill - he was by then a Stone and the loyalty was there. It was his choice to walk away and if I remember correctly at the time he said in more than one interviews he had had enough of the band, the touring, the lack of recognisation for his song writing abilities. He moved on, set up his own relatively succesful band and, cough...became a metal detector of some noteriety!

Come 2012 and they are celebrating their 50 years and along with Taylor - who also walked away from them, they invite him to be a part of the party and he accepts. He plays on a couple of songs at some of the gigs as does Taylor. Now, if he wanted a bigger role in all this surely he should have had it clarified before he turned up for the first gig exactly what the deal was. I mean, if any one should know how the Glimmer Twins operate, it's Bill. It's no good turning up, getting a real buzz out of it and then saying well, I want more but they won't let me!

Bill should be glad they invited him, welcomed him, let him back into the greatest rock n roll band on the planet. If his attitude was a bit better maybe Jagger would have opened the door a little wider. TO me it all smacks of Wyman being a little ungrateful.

Wyman wasn't a little anything Newman!

'newman?' YOu've lost me there!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 14, 2013 18:33

CrumblingMice, ..."a little ungrateful" It seems to me that both you and Mick have chosen your words re Bill very badly.

AND if Keith is such a great peacemaker, he might think about stepping up and showing a little further respect for Bill Wyman. As Bill did for him year in and year out in KR's years as a junkie.

Date: April 14, 2013 18:39

stonesrule
CrumblingMice, ..."a little ungrateful" It seems to me that both you and Mick have chosen your words re Bill very badly.

AND if Keith is such a great peacemaker, he might think about stepping up and showing a little further respect for Bill Wyman. As Bill did for him year in and year out in KR's years as a junkie.

By accepting to play with him? His patience while waiting for Keith to turn up to sessions? What do you mean, exactly?

All we know is that is was indeed Keith who invited Wyman to the London sessions.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 14, 2013 18:42

treaclefingers
ryanpow
24FPS

From the same article, Richards is more open to a Wyman return. "I don't close doors," he says. "But sometimes I lose the key."

What does that even mean??

It means Mick closes the door, then Keith locks it and throws the key away.

How could that not be more clear?

What I still don't get is how does it make him more open to Wyman returning if he's 'keeping the door locked'? And If you loose the key, that's not the same as throwing it away. Its really ambiguous. Its like him and Mick are playing Bad Cop/Slightly less Bad Cop.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-14 18:53 by ryanpow.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: April 14, 2013 18:45

It sounds a bit macabre. Like Mick put out a contract on Bill or something.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: April 14, 2013 18:46

DandelionPowderman
stonesrule

By accepting to play with him? His patience while waiting for Keith to turn up to sessions? What do you mean, exactly?

All we know is that is was indeed Keith who invited Wyman to the London sessions.

Thats true, it was Keith who asked him along. I know you'll all disagree but from my point of view its like this...Bill was looking forward to the 50th celebrations as they all were, he opens his archive for Crossfire Hurricane gets involved in the exhibition...I think he wanted to celebrate both his time in the band and the bands time as a whole...to then be offered just 8 minutes is a bit of a come down after putting a lot of effort into these projects.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 14, 2013 18:49

TippyToe
It sounds a bit macabre. Like Mick put out a contract on Bill or something.

I agree, it does.

I think what's confusing me is not what Keith said, but they way the article interpreted it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-14 18:50 by ryanpow.

Date: April 14, 2013 18:50

On a good night LOL KEEF is so funny!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 14, 2013 18:51

I am really looking forward to these Hyde Park shows

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: PeanutGallery ()
Date: April 14, 2013 18:52

Lorenz —

Got a link for this? Thanks.

Peanut
PeanutGallery

Lorenz

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 14, 2013 19:15

clearly Bill is full of long held resentment for Mick, and he seems to want people to forget that they (Mick and Keith) did the hard work of songwriting in the early days to provide the hit singles demanded for success.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 14, 2013 19:21

Please go away Bill for good. We don't you and they don't need you.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 14, 2013 19:42

2000 LYFH
Rollin92
GravityBoy
24FPS
"I was very happy to see him. I don't know, really, what he wanted, to be perfectly honest."

Maybe the courtesy of a soundcheck for a start?

Absolutely agree, although, Bill could have told Mick what he wanted instead of going to the press. Then again what does Mick think he wanted...THIS IS BILL WYMAN, 30 YRS IN THE BAND, THE BLOKE WHO SHARED STU'S VAN WITH THEM, THE BLOKE WHO WAS THERE FROM 1962, THE BLOKE WHO'S ARCHIVES HAVE BEEN INVALUABLE IN PROVIDING US GREAT RELEASES/INFO OVER THE PAST DECADE..THE BLOKE WHO WAS A KEY PART OF THE STONES SOUND..THE BLOKE WHO WANTED TO CELEBRATE THE 50TH SHOWS BY PLAYING FOR MORE THAN 8 MINUTES...It's not really hard to figure what he wanted Mick.

I know I'll get slapped down by Bill bashers but hey like or not YOU LOVE the music which he contributed to....

Right on Rollin92! I'm real surprised that this was not all worked out a few weeks in advance on what songs he would play on. Would Bill really remember the whole catalog of songs if he was to do a whole concert without proper rehearsals? Anyway, if anything was to happen to Darryl Jones before or during this next tour, you-know-who would probably be getting a call from you-know-who...

Yes, it is funny how they wouldn't let Bill into rehearsals because "You know 'em all." The others know 'em all too, but they'd never appear on a concert stage themselves without at least a month of rehearsal time.

I wonder if Mick still holds a grudge for Bill's refusal to allow Mick access to his archives when Mick had the publishing deal for a book, which fell through as a result. Today when Bill recalls this, he does so with a giggle.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: April 14, 2013 19:49

Pity they all have to act like children at their age...could have been a special time for the band right now if they handled it right.

Date: April 14, 2013 20:07

On the other hand, Mick said probably, not definitely, as if to indicate that it's still up to Bill....

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 14, 2013 20:15

Bill doesn't know what he want. He doesn't like to fly, he doesn't want to be in a hotel room between the shows etc., etc. - he is like a crying baby that doens know what he wants.
He quit in the early 1990'ies and that's it.
No bad feelings from the other ones.
He can not come and go as he wants.
Bill was an excellent bass player and did move a bit around - look at the 1981/82 shows.

Date: April 14, 2013 21:21

The fact is that Bill was the bass player on the majority of great Stones recordings and concert performances.

In retrospect, perhaps the Stones should have simply asked him to appear in London last December and simply introduced him. No bass playing required. Keeping it to two songs was a slap in the face...like he was being given a favor.

If you didn't see the Stones with Bill, you missed something.

And I expect that Keith will ultimately show Wyman the respect he deserves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-14 21:23 by stonesrule.

Date: April 14, 2013 21:27

stonesrule
The fact is that Bill was the bass player on the majority of great Stones recordings and concert performances.

In retrospect, perhaps the Stones should have simply asked him to appear in London last December and simply introduced him. No bass playing required. Keeping it to two songs was a slap in the face...like he was being given a favor.

Spot on thumbs up

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 14, 2013 21:30

stonesrule

How so stonesrule, and why just Keith?

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: April 14, 2013 22:28

Bill's reflection on the upcoming gigs in Hyde Park:

Date: April 14, 2013 22:57

Keith told assorted musicians in London, LA and New York that Wyman would be "very much a part of things...He's a Stone." The impression was that Keith was making it all happen.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 14, 2013 23:25

The man, whom I've got the proper amount of respect for, being a founding and longtime member of THE ROLLING STONES, quit the band.

His position has been filled.
Coming back and doing anything more than a couple numbers on the 50th tour would have been unfair,and to criticize shows a lack of class.

Mick Taylor clearly showed the right attitude, graciousness, and talent to be asked to join up for the next round.

Bill, god love him, has shown the opposite. Unfortunately.

Date: April 14, 2013 23:31

MisterDDDD
The man, whom I've got the proper amount of respect for, being a founding and longtime member of THE ROLLING STONES, quit the band.

His position has been filled.
Coming back and doing anything more than a couple numbers on the 50th tour would have been unfair,and to criticize shows a lack of class.

Mick Taylor clearly showed the right attitude, graciousness, and talent to be asked to join up for the next round.

Bill, god love him, has shown the opposite. Unfortunately.

How did Wyman show a lack of talent?...he's a bass player, we're often not as flashy as guitarisits. He was absolutely on form at last years Bluesfest gig in the Hammersmith Appollo.

Posted by: SundanceKid ()
Date: April 15, 2013 00:02

bv
At the first show Mick Taylor was like a kid in a toy store...

Actually, they all looked like kids in a candy store when Taylor was on stage with the band.

Date: April 15, 2013 00:25

No, they didn't...

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: April 15, 2013 01:11

Jah Paul
Pity they all have to act like children at their age...could have been a special time for the band right now if they handled it right.

Yes, it all comes across as rather petty. Just let the guy play for a few more classic early 'nanker-phelge' songs along with 'In Another Land.'

That would be pretty cool, and I'd pay the high cost ticket to see that (caveat being I'm in NYC...will Bill fly to NY?).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-15 01:12 by nightskyman.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 15, 2013 02:03

Well, it's a bit disappointing, but not much of a surprise. I was at the O2 shows, and Bill being on stage again with the bad was wonderful. But honestly, I wasn't expecting more than a song or so. The problem is that unlike guitarists, a band needs only one bass player, and a band needs a bass player full-time. Bill clearly doesn't want to commit to being a full member of the band. So, I guess I kind of agree with Mick - what exactly would have been the "right" number? Three songs? Five?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 15, 2013 03:01

drbryant
Well, it's a bit disappointing, but not much of a surprise. I was at the O2 shows, and Bill being on stage again with the bad was wonderful. But honestly, I wasn't expecting more than a song or so. The problem is that unlike guitarists, a band needs only one bass player, and a band needs a bass player full-time. Bill clearly doesn't want to commit to being a full member of the band. So, I guess I kind of agree with Mick - what exactly would have been the "right" number? Three songs? Five?

I've been thinking the same thing drbryant, how does a band incorporate more than one bass player for a tour? That's assuming that Bill Wyman was willing to tour, which he said he was not. It seems easy to add another guitarist, but I've never heard of more than one bass player. That may have been part of the problem as well, and where would that leave Darryl Jones? He has, after all, has been with them a very long time now.

Date: April 15, 2013 03:10

latebloomer
drbryant

I've been thinking the same thing drbryant, how does a band incorporate more than one bass player for a tour? That's assuming that Bill Wyman was willing to tour, which he said he was not. It seems easy to add another guitarist, but I've never heard of more than one bass player. That may have been part of the problem as well, and where would that leave Darryl Jones? He has, after all, has been with them a very long time now.

It seemed to work OK for Spinal Tap.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: April 15, 2013 03:21

2000 LYFH
Rollin92
GravityBoy
24FPS
"I was very happy to see him. I don't know, really, what he wanted, to be perfectly honest."

Maybe the courtesy of a soundcheck for a start?

Absolutely agree, although, Bill could have told Mick what he wanted instead of going to the press. Then again what does Mick think he wanted...THIS IS BILL WYMAN, 30 YRS IN THE BAND, THE BLOKE WHO SHARED STU'S VAN WITH THEM, THE BLOKE WHO WAS THERE FROM 1962, THE BLOKE WHO'S ARCHIVES HAVE BEEN INVALUABLE IN PROVIDING US GREAT RELEASES/INFO OVER THE PAST DECADE..THE BLOKE WHO WAS A KEY PART OF THE STONES SOUND..THE BLOKE WHO WANTED TO CELEBRATE THE 50TH SHOWS BY PLAYING FOR MORE THAN 8 MINUTES...It's not really hard to figure what he wanted Mick.

I know I'll get slapped down by Bill bashers but hey like or not YOU LOVE the music which he contributed to....

Right on Rollin92! I'm real surprised that this was not all worked out a few weeks in advance on what songs he would play on. Would Bill really remember the whole catalog of songs if he was to do a whole concert without proper rehearsals? Anyway, if anything was to happen to Darryl Jones before or during this next tour, you-know-who would probably be getting a call from you-know-who...

Just a suggestion--maybe Darryl Jones is the name getting forgotten in all this? As in, maybe giving Bill too great a role in the shows (and I'm the first to say he's been totally underrated as a bassist, so it's not that I'm not a fan, and of course he was a founder member, etc.) would be showing a lack of respect for the OTHER guy who's been playing with them for decades now, always reliably and always doing a great job?

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1072
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home