Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Mick Taylor's role on the 2013 Tour ? More ?
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 4, 2013 01:46

achilles77
Donkey Girl Scout
I bet all they do is bring him out every night for Midnight Rambler.

Don't say that!!! I would feel SOOO ripped off. They need to take full advantage of his availability and presence and finally play the Taylor era songs the way they should sound.

AlmostHearYouSigh
I love that Taylor is back! Gives me an excuse to pay for the sure to be high ticket price.

I am also thrilled to death about this. Otherwise I would not even consider going for the same old thing. As a huge Taylor fan, he is the selling point of this tour.

andrewt
As long as they bust out Can't You Hear Me Knocking, that's all that really matters.
(of course Sway, Midnight Rambler, and his sweet lead runs on Dead Flowers wouldn't hurt either)

Now you're talking. Let's not stop there...Love in Vain, YCAGWYW, Winter, TWFNO...what else??

Tumbling Dice, All Down The Line, Honky Tonk Women...

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: April 4, 2013 01:55

^^^^
There ya go!

thumbs up

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: April 4, 2013 01:58

Is there a way so we have a poll to see the five most requested songs The Rolling Stones with Mick Taylor should play Live?

Hopefully if someone Stones connected will peruse the site, see the Poll & play the top 5... smileys with beersmoking smileydrinking smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 4, 2013 02:20

Mick Taylor's participation is announced on his official site as well:

[www.micktaylor.com]

"Mick Taylor, will be a special guest throughout the tour."

Seems kinda boring to go on a whole tour and just play on one song, so I certainly hope he'll be involved in several songs!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 4, 2013 02:20

Donkey Girl Scout
it sure seems like they are using him to bring something different.

Yeah, he really does bring something different. So different that the rest of the show is just a boring karaoke music.

What was shocking to me eyes when watching the "One More Shot" tv show was huge difference there was between "Midnight Rambler" and the rest of the show. Yeah, "Midnight Rambler" always is an expectional number in their shows, but having Taylor there, and his spontaneues touch, no being afraid of taking riskies, but living dangerously, made the difference waaaaayyyyy too big. It was like a reminder in the middle of that mickey mouse copy-paste crap, you know, the Rolling Stones might sound as a real, living rock and roll band. I wish I'd never seen that - it made me lose the last respect I have for current Stones. Good that Wyman was not in that show. As Taylor, he would made a terrible contrast to that pastishe show. Within that concept I am sure Bill would be "useless" as is claimed here (as Taylor is as well). Well, as we have seen Jagger & co made sure that Bill's dangerous aspects were eliminated rather efficiently so no bigger harm was done to spoil the illusion of "the greatest rock and roll band of the world" as it is served these days. And I am sure they won't let Taylor's tigers out in the future either, but serve him in a harmless little cage within the "show": "Now something freaky for the hardcore fans! Tourists, don't be afraid, it won't last long and we are soon back in the business as usual!"

It is funny that musicians who haven't been in the band for decades now, have more "Rolling Stones spirit" in their playing than those who still perform under that name. I guess the reason is that they reminded foremost as musicians, and not ending up as some kind of caricature figures playing according to a certain role to give certain impressions, as pure entertainers. That's what Vegas does to people, I guess.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-04 02:27 by Doxa.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: April 4, 2013 02:30

Doxa
Donkey Girl Scout

Yeah, he really does bring something different. So different that the rest of the show is just a boring karaoke music.

What was shocking to me eyes when watching the "One More Shot" tv show was huge difference there was between "Midnight Rambler" and the rest of the show. Yeah, "Midnight Rambler" always is an expectional number in their shows, but having Taylor there, and his spontaneues touch, no being afraid of taking riskies, but living dangerously, made the difference waaaaayyyyy too big. It was like a reminder in the middle of that mickey mouse copy-paste crap, you know, the Rolling Stones might sounds as a real, living rock and roll band. I wish I'd never seen that - it made me lose the last respect I have for current Stones. Good that Wyman was not in that show. As Taylor, he would made a terrible contrast to that pastishe show. Within that concept I am sure Bill would be "useless" as is claimed here (as Taylor is as well). Well, as we have seen Jagger & co made sure that Bill's dangerous aspects were elimanated rather efficiently so no bigger harm was done to spoil the illusion of "the greatest rock and roll band of the world" as it is served these days. And I am sure they won't let Taylor's tigers out in the future either, but serve him in a harmless little cake within the "show": "Now something freaky for the hardcore fans! Tourists, don't be afraid, it won't last long and we are soon back in the business usual!"

It is funny that musicians who haven't been in the band for decades now, have more "Rolling Stones spirit" in their playing than those who still perform under that name. I guess the reason is that they reminded foremost as musicians, and not ending up as some kind of caricature figures playing according to a certain role to give certain impressions, as pure entertainers. That's what Vegas does to people, I guess.

- Doxa

Wise words, although MT is half the player he used to be.

I wonder what made Taylor travel to the States just to play one song. Lack of self esteem, or just good old frieds, "let's have some fun"?

Date: April 4, 2013 02:44

VT22

I wonder what made Taylor travel to the States just to play one song. Lack of self esteem, or just good old frieds, "let's have some fun"?

Money.

Yeah, MT is a half player he used to be, but he still is a player, a musician - something I can't say of the guys performing under the name of "The Rolling Stones". I think the little thing Taylor brought to the Stones last year was not any technical excellence or virtusoity but pure, natural musicianship. So simple thing but something the band has lost ages ago. Opened my eyes, so to say. Or let's say, made me realize what I have missed in this band for so long.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-04 02:48 by Doxa.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 4, 2013 02:46

Doxa
VT22
Doxa
Donkey Girl Scout

What was shocking to me eyes when watching the "One More Shot" tv show was huge difference there was between "Midnight Rambler" and the rest of the show. Yeah, "Midnight Rambler" always is an expectional number in their shows, but having Taylor there, and his spontaneues touch, no being afraid of taking riskies, but living dangerously, made the difference waaaaayyyyy too big. It was like a reminder in the middle of that mickey mouse copy-paste crap, you know, the Rolling Stones might sounds as a real, living rock and roll band. I wish I'd never seen that - it made me lose the last respect I have for current Stones. Good that Wyman was not in that show. As Taylor, he would made a terrible contrast to that pastishe show. Within that concept I am sure Bill would be "useless" as is claimed here (as Taylor is as well). Well, as we have seen Jagger & co made sure that Bill's dangerous aspects were elimanated rather efficiently so no bigger harm was done to spoil the illusion of "the greatest rock and roll band of the world" as it is served these days. And I am sure they won't let Taylor's tigers out in the future either, but serve him in a harmless little cake within the "show": "Now something freaky for the hardcore fans! Tourists, don't be afraid, it won't last long and we are soon back in the business usual!"

- Doxa

Money.

Yeah, MT is a half player he used to be, but he still is a player, a musician - something I can't say of the guys performing under the name of "The Rolling Stones". I think the little thing Taylor brought to the Stones last year was not any technical excellence or virtusoity but pure, natural musicianship. So simple thing but something the band has lost ages ago. Opened my eyes, so to say.

- Doxa

Has this speeding, dangerously overloaded, expensive band wagon finally lost you Doxa?

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 4, 2013 02:54

VT22
Doxa
Donkey Girl Scout

- Doxa

Indeed! Wise word by Doxa to be sure. As to why Taylor agreed, well, I think its his only opportunity to play in that style - the stones just are the best venue for him. I also believe he wants to prove something, even with his talent somewhat degraded, to those fans that may have forgotten or more recent fans that tend to overlook him.

And to be sure, there is a lot of talent left. Notice how he played better with each performance, and not only that, he played *with* the band as well. He isn't just playing over them. With Woody as a likely co conspirator, I think Jagger/Richards will up their own game and throw off a little more of the Vegas shackles if they open the door to Taylor playing more songs. For what its worth, it sure seemed as though Chuck and Darryl were watching Mr Taylor rather intently. They can probably feel the potential juggernaut in their midst.

Date: April 4, 2013 03:03

Doxa
VT22

Money.

Yeah, MT is a half player he used to be, but he still is a player, a musician - something I can't say of the guys performing under the name of "The Rolling Stones". I think the little thing Taylor brought to the Stones last year was not any technical excellence or virtusoity but pure, natural musicianship. So simple thing but something the band has lost ages ago. Opened my eyes, so to say. Or let's say, made me realize what I have missed in this band for so long.

- Doxa

If you take in account the RS are half the band they used to be for decades already, yes, money must be the only reason. However MT seemed to enjoy the recent performances, so... I cannot analyze that man's inner world.. he must be suffering from (musical) schizophrenia by now.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 4, 2013 03:28

At the 50th shows Mick Taylor was the key to the door that took them outside the predictable sound they have had for ages.

It would be a real shame if they merely repeat the same one song guest spot.

For me, and only going by the recordings, including Bill didn't really change their sound, lack of rehearsing and strange song choices are probably partly to blame.

Ideal guest spot? A little, properly rehearsed sub set featuring both Wyman and Taylor onstage at the same time. cool smiley

Date: April 4, 2013 03:29

Munichhilton
Has this speeding, dangerously overloaded, expensive band wagon finally lost you Doxa?

Well, since you asked.... Let's say last year was the last nail in the coffin for me. First the ticket fiasco, then the PPV show, which I saw twice (for free, of course). The first thing alianated me from "contributing" any longer to the ridiculous, over-hyped business monster I have been involved also in creating, and which made me do a principal decision that I won't feed it any longer (but I rather see the whole over-priced modern 'classic' rock concert concept The Stones are leading and promoting, suffer a painful death). The second one of their music as it represented these days. I realized that I didn't have any connection to it any longer (expect that Taylor number, and some other guess numbers were funny). Sounded totally alien to me.

Now it feels stupid now that I have tried to follow the current doings of a band that used to mean so much to me (that band only nowadays exists in history) and I couldn't see how phony and ugly the current reality is. It feels stupid that I have paid so much money to celebrate the past by catching the last tour again and again and ending up seeing the same old show again and again. And thereby doing my little share in creating the monster. But I guess that is fanship... But it's all over now.

Now I feel free!smiling bouncing smiley

I guess I am not a model IORR contributor any longer (if I ever was), but let's see how long I will be tolerated here...

- Doxa

Posted by: steini ()
Date: April 4, 2013 03:36

Will be nice to see and listen to Taylor and they treat him like a guest of cource he left the band remember! It´s silly letting them be in and out of the band when it´s suitable for them but anniversary and guest that´s fine, but with Ronnie as good as last year and Richards with him, i do not need wish or crave for more.
We are the luckiest fans in the world remember!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 4, 2013 04:00

LieB
Mick Taylor's participation is announced on his official site as well:

[www.micktaylor.com]

"Mick Taylor, will be a special guest throughout the tour."

Seems kinda boring to go on a whole tour and just play on one song, so I certainly hope he'll be involved in several songs!

I think he mentioned recently that it would be interesting if he played on the songs that were created during his time in the band...wishful thinking? Maybe, but he's got his foot in the door and who would object if he came up with that suggestion during rehearsals/contract negotiations? In spite of all the "corporate"/"polished" accusations (not unfair based on the final results) they're known to make up things as they go along...so they might go with it. Better than risk getting Taylor annoyed and not joining the tour after all...

And yes, Taylor appearing out of the blue (literally) at the O2 and throwing out all these notes was the best moment of the show, the most emotional one for sure, and I wasn't even around when he was in the band. Because of the legend of the Stones in their best years, that would be part of it, because of his sheer musicianship, ditto, and also because it was a welcome change from the routine, and much more powerful than trotting out a "guest star" of sorts.

Date: April 4, 2013 04:55

Doxa
Donkey Girl Scout

What was shocking to me eyes when watching the "One More Shot" tv show was huge difference there was between "Midnight Rambler" and the rest of the show. Yeah, "Midnight Rambler" always is an expectional number in their shows, but having Taylor there, and his spontaneues touch, no being afraid of taking riskies, but living dangerously, made the difference waaaaayyyyy too big. It was like a reminder in the middle of that mickey mouse copy-paste crap, you know, the Rolling Stones might sound as a real, living rock and roll band. I wish I'd never seen that - it made me lose the last respect I have for current Stones. Good that Wyman was not in that show. As Taylor, he would made a terrible contrast to that pastishe show. Within that concept I am sure Bill would be "useless" as is claimed here (as Taylor is as well). Well, as we have seen Jagger & co made sure that Bill's dangerous aspects were eliminated rather efficiently so no bigger harm was done to spoil the illusion of "the greatest rock and roll band of the world" as it is served these days. And I am sure they won't let Taylor's tigers out in the future either, but serve him in a harmless little cage within the "show": "Now something freaky for the hardcore fans! Tourists, don't be afraid, it won't last long and we are soon back in the business as usual!"

- Doxa

If were possible to bronze posts, this one should be bronzed. Freaking brilliant.

Date: April 4, 2013 04:58

VT22
Doxa
Donkey Girl Scout

- Doxa

As if the other guitarists aren't!

But the good news for all of us: We don't have to argue "Taylor vs. Wood" anymore. If we're lucky we can have both. I think we all can be happy with that. On the other hand, why they chose to limit Wyman to two songs when he clearly wanted to do more is a mystery to me. It seems pretty small-minded.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-04 05:04 by 71Tele.

Date: April 4, 2013 05:19

Q: Your old guitarist, Mick Taylor, will be touring with you for the first time since the ‘70s. How did that come about?

A: He played very well as a guest in the shows last year, though he only played on one song. We had a lot of guest guitarists. It was fun trying to keep track of all of them. I was scared of announcing the wrong guy, like introducing Jeff Beck instead of Eric Clapton or something. I had to have cue cards in front of me with so many guests. Ronnie (Wood) would stand behind me saying, “You’ve got the wrong one!” But Mick Taylor played well, and he’s going to do a guest spot on this tour. I don’t know how many songs it will be.

So that's more than one song for sure, I'm still banking on "all the songs created during my period"...

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: April 4, 2013 07:29

Mick Taylor's role on the 2013 Tour ?

He's going to play guitar.

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: April 4, 2013 08:37

If Taylor is involved in more than two songs, I'll be sitting this one out. His megalomaniacal noodling bugs the crap out of me. His playing in Rambler 2012 was a friggin joke. The best time that song was performed last year was when MT stayed home.

I've never, ever, ever, understood the MT worship. The guy was a nifty little cog in a machine that was well oiled well before he arrived and for decades after he left.

His contributions were minimal, and I hope they remain that way in 2013.

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: April 4, 2013 08:58

vermontoffender
If Taylor is involved in more than two songs, I'll be sitting this one out. His megalomaniacal noodling bugs the crap out of me. His playing in Rambler 2012 was a friggin joke. The best time that song was performed last year was when MT stayed home.

I've never, ever, ever, understood the MT worship. The guy was a nifty little cog in a machine that was well oiled well before he arrived and for decades after he left.

Couldn't agree less. Contributions minimal? I can't recall Mick Taylor being called a megalomaniac before though. Just aswell he's not in charge of North Korea eh?
Each to their own - I would love to see Mick Taylor on as many songs as possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-04 08:58 by champ72.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: April 4, 2013 08:59

Ronnie said that he was a Chameleon player and I'd agree.

Ronnie is an all purpose player like a handyman.

Taylor is a Blues/Rock player and that's the area where the Stones rock.

I'd tell Ronnie to go have a vacation and I'd bring Taylor back and not have the Stones play anything past IORR.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-04 09:00 by howled.

Date: April 4, 2013 09:11

vermontoffender

Hmm...not sure which group called "the Rolling Stones" you are familiar with. Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the opinions of his bandmates on the value of his contributions to the group when he was in it. If you don't mind, I'll take their word over yours. Happy to remind you of what Bill, Charlie, Keith and Mick Jagger have said about his role, and it was Ronnie himself who wanted Taylor involved in the reunion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-04 09:12 by 71Tele.

Date: April 4, 2013 10:54

71Tele
vermontoffender

Hmm...not sure which group called "the Rolling Stones" you are familiar with. Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with the opinions of his bandmates on the value of his contributions to the group when he was in it. If you don't mind, I'll take their word over yours. Happy to remind you of what Bill, Charlie, Keith and Mick Jagger have said about his role, and it was Ronnie himself who wanted Taylor involved in the reunion.

Like you 71Tele I suppose, I don't see this issue between Taylor vs. Ronnie Wood, or which one we prefer as players. For me it is more like The Rolling Stones vs. Vegas Stones. Taylor sounded like "unspoiled" and a reminder of the way band used to play before it went through the Vegas mill, which slowly but surely killed the traits of a living Rollng Stones spirit out of their music. Ronnie Wood was sterilized in 1989 and he has been a far cry, sometimes just a poser boy, of the dangerous musician who played in the Rolling Stones from 1975 to 1982. Keith Richards is a shadow of himself, and it has been one of the most painful processes as a Rolling Stones fan to wittness how the dynamo of the band has lost his player kills, turned out to be a free rider, concentrating more of posing than playing. If the most dangerous aspect in a modern Rolling Stones show is that if Ron Wood can play "decently" in his limited role, or if we gets enough volume, or if Keith Richards - the biggest rock guitarist ever - can play at all, it is damn sad.

Yeah, for the arguments: "hey: now Keith is not posing but concentrating on playing, and Ronnie also plays nicely", all I can say that oh god, how low has the criterion fallen. For me Keith was a living ghost trying somehow do his thing decently - and to me it looked painful to wittness (even I give my respect or Richards for trying hard and surely doing his best - but which, unfortunately amounts to very little any longer). Ronnie cannot carry the band, since his balls as a profilic guitar player has been cut ages ago. It is no "ancient art of weaving" but "trying to cope with master's ego" for him.

I don't blame Keith and Ronnie, bless their hearts, but the whole "professionalism" that took place in 1989, and turned the most dangerous band of the world into a safe and sure pussy cat. Even the more guitar-driven 'turn' last year - hailed so much here - was for me a sad testimony how far they have driften from the times when that idea really signified something. Now it was a cruel reminder of the recent state of the band. We could see with our own very eyes that without the typical army of side player as a safe belt, there is not much left - just a skeleton of a rock and roll band desperately trying to remember how their old songs go.

So for Taylor's appearance - to recapitulate my point - was a sudden entrance of the old spirit the band used to have, and the reason why they once earned their corny title of theirs. Had Wood kicked out in 1982, and replaced with Taylor in 1989, and we had the Vegas Saga with him, I think the situation would be the same as it is now. In that hypothetic scenario, Wood might have his 50th Aniversary cameo, and would have given a fresh-air kind of reminder of their old spirit. The Vegas I think is a poison that kills musicians. Jeez, even Chuck Leavell is a better player than what he presents in Stones, not to mention Darryl Jones.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-04 11:12 by Doxa.

Date: April 4, 2013 11:14

Doxa
Donkey Girl Scout

- Doxa

That is BS, imo. Rambler was cool in the O2 Arena, but it wasn't even the real highlight of the show musically. The older 60s songs, as well as Out Of Control and surprisingly BTMMR were remarkably good in comparison. The genius of YCAGWYW was teardroppingly good smiling smiley

Mind you, the show I attended was so much better than the PPV-show that they really can't be compared.

Karaoke-show? Pfft! smoking smiley It was living, breathing and real!

Date: April 4, 2013 11:20

Just a reminder - for the guys who love to criticise the Stones.

THIS is how they are today. What the heck is wrong with this???

Date: April 4, 2013 11:29

71Tele
vermontoffender

There are lots of fans who liked the Stones without long, extended guitar solos, preferrably the line up with Brian or Ronnie.

I think it will be a nice mix, having songs from all eras myself - but keep in mind that it isn't everybody who regard the 68-72 era as the golden one smiling smiley

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 4, 2013 11:44

Interestingly when the mention Taylor they say classic albums Sticky Fingers, Exile and IORR. I wouldn't mind betting that he plays a song/songs from each of those. I reckon he will do Time Waits For No One.

Date: April 4, 2013 12:44

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Donkey Girl Scout

- Doxa

That is BS, imo. Rambler was cool in the O2 Arena, but it wasn't even the real highlight of the show musically. The older 60s songs, as well as Out Of Control and surprisingly BTMMR were remarkably good in comparison. The genius of YCAGWYW was teardroppingly good smiling smiley

Mind you, the show I attended was so much better than the PPV-show that they really can't be compared.

Karaoke-show? Pfft! smoking smiley It was living, breathing and real!

I wasn't presenting any universal truths but just my own opinion. I am sure there are people who love and respect from the bottom of their hearts the shows they have wittnessed and will wittness. There are also people who like Bon Jovi or Barbra Streisend, and even if I don't, I can no say they are "wrong" or having a "bad taste". For me and to my taste the recent Stones belongs almost to the same league as those memtioned names (and I would rather to see their shows just out of curiosity; I guess I would get more of that experience that I can get from a Stones show - the endless run of Vegas era shows has just mulked out the last interest, or fanship, I think I have ever had).

I am sure the show you attented was superior than the PPV one. but then, any show is superior if attended in person than watching it from a telly. The live concert experience is always a different thing, and I also like the being in "part" of the show - even though watching it afterwards might kill the illusion of is greaness, when that active, subjective side is taken away. It is like having sex compared to watching pornography. And, if I may continue with the metaphor, the Stones have made A-rate porno films in the past, and these current ones is total crap compared to them. What is the use of pornography if you can't get no even an erection?

But what goes for the "real thing", I just have had enough of having that kind of sex with The Stones. It feels like going to visit a prostitute. And principally I refuse to feed the monster - the damn ugly sex industry - any longer, like I declared in my post above. I just wish I came to my senses earlier.

BUt that doesn't mean I don't love the band as it used to be any longer. No, more shining and more unique the band from 1963 to 1982 is when compared to the recent version, and actually I think I purposively cut the ties of the Vegas monster from that "romantic" living and breahing band of the past - just to preserve the memory of that, even though I know the Stones are doing their best to destroy their legacy by milking every damn cent they can from he nostalgia market.

I mean, they really were a goddamn incredible rock and roll band, the best and most original of them all, once upon a time ago. As a music fan I don't follow a brand, or feel I should have loyalty to the band that once impressed me years ago. No, liking a music act, or art general, is not like following your favourite football club in its ups and downs (unless you are a glory hunter). The only authority in art is my taste, and if it says that the thing I see is no good, that's the end. In art we all are glory-hunters, no blind followers.

BTMMR good? Well, let me talk before they make me run....grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: April 4, 2013 12:47

terraplane
Interestingly when the mention Taylor they say classic albums Sticky Fingers, Exile and IORR. I wouldn't mind betting that he plays a song/songs from each of those. I reckon he will do Time Waits For No One.

Had forgotten about "Time Waits for No One" I was dreaming they'd play at the O2...but yes how fitting that would be, wouldn't be a dry eye in the "house" if they played it though! They'd need to segue into "Start Me Up" ASAP after that!

Date: April 4, 2013 12:54

71Tele
VT22
Doxa
Donkey Girl Scout

- Doxa

As if the other guitarists aren't!

Sure they aren't, enjoy the concert anyway.thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2062
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home