Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT Anyone miss Jim Gordon?
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 24, 2013 07:01

I don't know the whole extent of his manslaughter incident since it actually happened, but you'd think 30 years since he'd be over it and they could release him. Is there any specific reason they've said he's still locked up? I know his charges were seriously, but it genuinely seems almost like a mistake, or at least something that he could be released and monitored/controlled for to make sure it doesn't happen again. Seems a tad odd that he's locked away for the rest of his life for something that appeared to have no malicious intent.

I listen to all his session drum work and he was just great. Seeing as many of the people he played with are still alive and playing music, I just wonder that if he were released he would still play awesome drums like this:

He's just one of my personal favorite drummers and its sad to see he never got to really do anything past 30 years old or so.

Re: OT Anyone miss Jim Gordon?
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 24, 2013 07:04

Yes, I remember the story when it happened--but, you see, he seems to have killed his mother.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 24, 2013 07:10

stonehearted
Yes, I remember the story when it happened--but, you see, he seems to have killed his mother.
I understand. But from what I've read, its because he was bi-polar and acted totally erratically and it really wasn't as much in his control. From what I've read, he feels understandably very upset about the incident, but mainly because it was semi out of his control. It wasn't like he had some murder plot against his mother or that it really happened out of rage. Seemed that his bi-polar made it more of an accident than a purposeful incident.

Again, I don't know everything about the incident, but if thats the case as I've read it, I feel bad that he's in jail for life for something that appears to have been an accident, and that he could be let out and be controlled for that behavior in 2013. You'd think letting him be free and having to live with the guilt anyway would be enough.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 24, 2013 07:13

His drums on Jump into the Fire and piano on Layla are stunning.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: March 24, 2013 08:20

He bashed his mother's head in with a hammer. And then stabbed her three times.

That's not a mistake, no matter what was wrong with him at the time...

Date: March 24, 2013 12:25

RollingFreak, did you read the long story/essay about him in RS? It was a long time ago (the article), but after reading one understands that he suffered from a serious schizophrenia; that the voices had been building up for years. It was apparantly not the case of a slip-up. He killed his mother in a violent manner, and had been wanting to do this for a while.
I am not saying this in judgement; just re4counting what I read.

But yes - I have often thought about the two Jims (Gordon and keltner) - they are not flashy, but they roll.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 24, 2013 14:45

Chris O'Dell wrote about Jim Gordon in her autobiography. She was living with him for a time and she describes how he chased her around the apartment with a butcher knife in a psychotic rage. She only escaped because a friend happened to stop by and that pulled Gordon out of it. At the time, she chalked it up to Jim's intake of heroin and speed. That was thirteen years before Gordon killed his mother.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 24, 2013 16:43

Messy situation with mum, but, lordy, the fella could swing! One of the great drummers ever.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 24, 2013 17:32

If he's a violent schizophrenia-sufferer, then, of course, he should never be released. He murdered his mother because voices in his head 'told him' to do so. It's tragic because he's a talented musician and performed on many classic rock recordings, but he's a murderer and a mentally-unstable one at that.

Are there any interviews where fellow musicians give their take on what happened?

Posted by: millerman60 ()
Date: March 24, 2013 18:45

Jim Gordon is definitely one of the greatest drummers of all time. When you look at his discography, it is mind boggling the number of hit records he played on. He could play any genre of music, pop, rock, country,blues. I also read that since he has been collecting royalties for all these years, he is one of the most financially well of murderers in the Calfornia prison system.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 24, 2013 19:00

Not a lot of people know that he's Batgirl's father.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: March 24, 2013 19:11

Irrespective of his musical pedigree I think he is best kept under lock and key.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 24, 2013 19:21

The real question is why don't voices in your head tell you to lower ticket prices? Or reach out to Bill and get him back in the musical fold? It's always stab, stab, stab.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 24, 2013 19:28

ab
Messy situation with mum, but, lordy, the fella could swing! One of the great drummers ever.

understatement of the month ab...

Psychiatric care and medication has improved dramatically since Jim Gordon was incarcerated. Hopefully, he's been receiving proper care in that regard. I doubt they will ever release him though.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: March 24, 2013 19:51

Here's an 1994 article Mathijs referenced in the thread below.

[articles.philly.com]

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 24, 2013 22:57

The man is schizophrenic, and often high drug intake brings out schizophrenia. From what I read he was forced to plead to manslaughter because California had just removed insanity pleas. Schizophrenics, when medicated, lead normal and productive lives. He has been languishing in prison, not receiving good treatment, which is disgusting. It is a very sad case indeed.

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: March 25, 2013 00:53

JuanTCB
He bashed his mother's head in with a hammer. And then stabbed her three times.

Relax. These things happen.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 25, 2013 01:33

jamesfdouglas

Not a lot of people know that he's Batgirl's father.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 25, 2013 02:23

BlackHat
Irrespective of his musical pedigree I think he is best kept under lock and key.

Yep.

Great drummer. Sad story. He is where he belongs.

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: March 25, 2013 16:17

Rita Coolidge once spoke of him hitting her during their tour with Joe Cocker and Leon Russell's Mad Dogs and Englishmen. He would go into blind rages. This was in what? '69-'71. Sad end to a fantastic drummer.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: March 25, 2013 21:57

RollingFreak
stonehearted
I understand. But from what I've read, its because he was bi-polar and acted totally erratically and it really wasn't as much in his control. From what I've read, he feels understandably very upset about the incident, but mainly because it was semi out of his control. It wasn't like he had some murder plot against his mother or that it really happened out of rage. Seemed that his bi-polar made it more of an accident than a purposeful incident.

Again, I don't know everything about the incident, but if thats the case as I've read it, I feel bad that he's in jail for life for something that appears to have been an accident, and that he could be let out and be controlled for that behavior in 2013. You'd think letting him be free and having to live with the guilt anyway would be enough.

RollingFreak, since you feel so strongly about this I have an idea. They can let Gordon out and he can come and live with you.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 25, 2013 23:01

Sad story.. He belongs in jail.. My favorite playing of his was Traffic's "Low Sparks.." album... He was a session guy and made Andy William's records as well.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 25, 2013 23:30

I am shocked people really feel he belongs in jail. He is a mental patient, diagnosed with acute schizophrenia, of which to date he has not recovered. He should be treated as a patient, not as a criminal.

Mathijs

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 25, 2013 23:42

Name CDCR # Age Admission Date Current Location Map Link
GORDON, JAMES BECK C89262 67 07/13/1984 Medical Facility

[www.cdcr.ca.gov]

Mathijs

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 25, 2013 23:49

Ok Mathijs.. A mental hospital with bars and guards is where he belongs... Still it's incarceration.. A situation such as this is beyond speculation or argument, a lesson to the young that there's more than one way to screw up your life with hard drugs. Mental illness can sometimes overpower an otherwise strong person if the mind is polluted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-25 23:49 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 26, 2013 01:22

He was in Bruce Channel's band (along with Delbert McClinton) during the British tour that also included the Beatles before worldwide fame.,when Bruce had a monster hit with "Hey,Baby!"

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: March 26, 2013 02:27

Jim Gordon is now in jail, I believe, for murdering his mother. He was diagnosed as an acute paranoid schizophrenic. Have you been in touch with him?

Eric Clapton :
I’m scared to death of that. A part of me says I owe it to him to try and get in touch. But I’m scared. I was scared of him at the end of Derek and the Dominos.
One of those reasons we broke up was the rapport between me and Jim, which had always been so good, had broken down.
And in the middle of a session when we were trying to do a second studio album, I said something about the rhythm being wrong for the song,
and Jim said something like “Well, the Dixie Flyers are in town, You can get their drummer.”
I put my guitar down and walked out of the studio, and I didn’t speak to him again.

But I had no idea that he had a psychotic history of visions and hearing voices, from an early age. That was never apparent when we were working together.
It just seemed like bad vibes, the worst king of bad vibes. I would have never said that he was going mad. To me, it was just the drugs.

Date: March 26, 2013 03:26

Mathijs
I am shocked people really feel he belongs in jail. He is a mental patient, diagnosed with acute schizophrenia, of which to date he has not recovered. He should be treated as a patient, not as a criminal.

Mathijs

When you are diagnosed with an illness you can be considered insane and treated as a patient, but when you commit a criminal act such as murder in this condition then you can be considered criminally insane, and therefore a danger to others.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 26, 2013 04:14

stonehearted
Mathijs

Mathijs

When you are diagnosed with an illness you can be considered insane and treated as a patient, but when you commit a criminal act such as murder in this condition then you can be considered criminally insane, and therefore a danger to others.

Don't worry. The wonderful government of the state of California is coming to the rescue. According to a recent article, instead of treating the mentally ill with the medicines they need, they now are teaching them yoga. I kid you not. You can't make this stuff up.
Sad story, really.
He was the drummer on most of All Things Must Pass.

Date: March 26, 2013 05:17

tomk
stonehearted
Mathijs

Mathijs

Don't worry. The wonderful government of the state of California is coming to the rescue. According to a recent article, instead of treating the mentally ill with the medicines they need, they now are teaching them yoga. I kid you not. You can't make this stuff up.
Sad story, really.
He was the drummer on most of All Things Must Pass.

Really! Didn't know that. Great drum sound on that album. With Gordon playing drums in Derek and the Dominoes and with Eric jamming with George, it's only natural that he would have referred a good drummer for him for the sessions.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2764
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home