Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Rod Stewart announces first self-written album for more than 20 years
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 21, 2013 18:06

He said he'd never write another song but now there's good news for Rod Stewart fans as his first album of self-written tunes will be released in May.

The album called Time will features songs about Rod's early days as a rock'n'roll singer. Among them is a song called Brighton Beach about his relationship with his first child who me put up for adoption.

Here's the story from The Independent newspaper (UK).

She was the art student who broke the teenage Rod Stewart’s heart and placed their baby daughter, born out of wedlock, up for adoption.

Now rock’s great lothario has broken a 20-year song-writing silence by composing a heartfelt plea to the great lost love of his life.

After claiming he would never write a new lyric again, Stewart, 68, has surprised the music industry by unveiling a revelatory new album.

Time, released in May, includes songs about Stewart’s formative years as a struggling singer, divorce (“I know a little about the devastation it causes,” he admits) and a tribute to the sexual powers of his third wife and mother of his eighth child, the model Penny Lancaster.

The album’s centrepiece is Brighton Beach, which describes the passionate romance between the 17 year-old beatnik Rod, “a scruffy, teenage working class troubador” and the art student girl he idolised, which was consumated “under the stars” in 1963. “You were Greta Garbo, I was Jack Kerouac,” he sings.

But the girl’s father didn’t approve and one day Rod “woke to find you gone”, his “teenage heart scattered on the floor.”

Fifty years later, Stewart appeals to her in song: “I swear to God, I could not have loved you anymore…I sit here playing with my kids and wonder where you are in this world…do you ever stop and think about me?”

“It’s about a real girl, her name is Susannah Boffey,” Stewart told The Independent. “She was what I thought at 17 was my first love affair and she was the mother of my first child. She was adopted because we didn’t have a pot to piss in in those days.”

Stewart explained: “There was no consideration of marriage and it was a real blot on your character to get a girl pregnant in those days. I was frightened to tell my mum and dad so I told my brothers and they said ‘we’ll take care of you.’”

Stewart’s daughter, Sarah, was born in 1963 and spent several years moving between a series of children’s homes and foster carers. At the age of five, she was adopted by a couple in East Sussex.

Her mother, now Susannah Hourde, 68, who first met Stewart in a London nightclub in 1961, lives in Normandy, northern France.

Has Stewart told her she is the subject of his new song? “She doesn’t know and neither does Sarah but she will love it. I’m very much in touch with Sarah now and we’ve just begun to call each other father and daughter which was hard because I didn’t change her nappies or take her to school. Her mum doesn’t want much to do with us, unfortunately.”

After enjoying huge success with his collections from the Great American Songbook, Stewart, who has sold 200 million records, admitted: “My assumption was that I was finished as a songwriter. I was trapped down all sorts of unhelpful mental alleys.” Writing his autobiography unblocked the creative juices.

Time includes "Sexual Religion", which details Rod’s first observation of Penny at the Dorchester hotel nightclub dancefloor. “You bring me to my knees…I’m hypnotised by your sexual religion,” Stewart sings lustily.

Ms Lancaster danced along to the thumping track at a playback of Time at the Abbey Road studios. She sat patiently through the single “It’s Over”, a recriminatory song about her husband’s divorces. “Divorce is the ruination of man,” he says. “I know a little about the devastation it causes. It’s the heartbreak for the kids that does me in.”

Does Rod see a connection between his confessional return and Bowie’s comeback? “His album caught everybody by surprise. I wish him a lot of good luck and good health.” And then, with a twinkle, Stewart pretends to bite on his right arm.

[www.independent.co.uk]

Re: OT: Rod Stewart announces first self-written album for more than 20 years
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 21, 2013 19:01

Interesting, that was unexpected for sure, especially since he hasn't written any new song of interest since what? Baby Jane? Lyric material is ok, but what about the music now?

Date: March 21, 2013 19:14

Samples

Sounds to me that hes just put his book to music.

Date: March 21, 2013 22:13

dishevelmentblues
Samples

Sounds to me that hes just put his book to music.

Just had a listen to the samples. It definitely sounds like Rod's best album for a long, long time - probably since the late 70s. thumbs up

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: March 21, 2013 22:21

He needs Ronnie.

They were magic together.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 21, 2013 22:23

but doesn't Ronnie need Rod? I think you may be under-representing the inter-dependency here....

Date: March 21, 2013 22:31

GRNRBITW
but doesn't Ronnie need Rod? I think you may be under-representing the inter-dependency here....

It's true, no one is bigger than Rod.

When the Beatles said they were bigger than Rod they were wrong.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 21, 2013 22:36

I thought they said they had a bigger rod?

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: March 21, 2013 22:44

His Voice *****

The Songs *1/2

Sounds like a collection of songs left off of albums from 1976-84, with the last one sounding like an out-take from the early 90's. Some cringe-inducing lyrics.

Rod--you made the right decision to retire from songwriting. Go back to singing standards.

Date: March 21, 2013 22:51

sounds pretty good

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 21, 2013 22:56

i really like rod, much better than i like eric clapton.

he is a good bloke.

would be great if he and ronnie would get back together and make an album.

Jeroen

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: March 21, 2013 22:57

looking forward to it!

Date: March 21, 2013 23:22

jamesfdouglas
I thought they said they had a bigger rod?

No one has a bigger rod than Rod.

Date: March 21, 2013 23:24

If he makes one as good as this I'll be interested.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: March 21, 2013 23:28

Ok, now after listing to the clips on itunes....I am no longer looking forward to it. However, that said, I would say it is still probably the strongest effort he has released in 20 years.

Pretty decent songwriting (for him) and some touching personal lyrics. The issue is it suffers from the same issue all this albums have post circa 1982: ADULT CONTEMPORARY ARRANGEMENTS.

Serious lack of balls, of guitars, of groove. Relying heavily on keyboards and sax. Nice songs but perhaps I will get it for my Mom on Mother's Day. "Parent's Music"

Date: March 21, 2013 23:29

This is what classic albums are all about.

Do yourself a favor if you've never listened to it.

1971... what a great year for music.

Date: March 21, 2013 23:35

Somehow Rod always comes up a little short. Bowie came out of nowhere with a surprise new album. So here is Rod. I have to say: I liked the original Rod, and would love to love this. But the samples sound trite.

Date: March 21, 2013 23:53

GravityBoy
This is what classic albums are all about.

Do yourself a favor if you've never listened to it.

1971... what a great year for music.

Comment on Amazon:

This album comes from the time when he actually enjoyed making records - from the plaintive 'Mandolin Wind' to the hard-driven 'Losing You', you'll never hear him in better voice.

I just wish he'd ring Ronnie Wood and Martin Quittenton, book a cheap studio and do it all again.

Yep.

Whatever happened to the likely lads?

Posted by: daytime ()
Date: March 22, 2013 05:13

I sense a tour coming soon....

Date: March 22, 2013 09:35

GravityBoy

Ha - just put that on the old CD player. One of the best albums ever made IMO. thumbs up smileys with beer

Date: March 22, 2013 10:53

To many compromises in the sound, too "radio friendly". The samples sound like the best he's done since the 90s, though.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 22, 2013 11:48

Silver Dagger
GravityBoy

Ha - just put that on the old CD player. One of the best albums ever made IMO. thumbs up smileys with beer

smiling smiley An album inhibit two songs like 'Maggie Mae' and 'Reason to believe' tends to be put there...but how about the other songs if we really listens...??..not too impressing to my ears....(just listened to the album and became a little dissappointed)...

Date: March 22, 2013 11:56

Come On
Silver Dagger
GravityBoy

smiling smiley An album inhibit two songs like 'Maggie Mae' and 'Reason to believe' tends to be put there...but how about the other songs if we really listens...??..not too impressing to my ears....(just listened to the album and became a little dissappointed)...

Depends on how much of a Rod/Faces fan you are. If you're a true fan you'll know that it doesn't get much better than this.

Every Picture tells A Story - 10/10 classic
Seems Like A Long Time - 10/10 classic
That's All Right Mama - 8/10 OK
Amazing Grace - 7/10 OK
Tomorrow Is A Long Time - 10/10 classic
Maggie May - 10/10 classic
Mandolin Wind - 10/10 classic
(I Know I'm) Losing You - 10/10 classic
Reason To Believe - 10/10 classic

Date: March 22, 2013 12:00

Spot on review, Mike!

One of my absolute favorites, although Gasoline Alley isn't too far behind thumbs up

Date: March 22, 2013 12:09

Depends on how much of a Rod/Faces fan you are. If you're a true fan you'll know that it doesn't get much better than this.

confused smiley I can't help feel a little exposed...maybe I'm not that big fan I thought...

2 1 2 0

Date: March 22, 2013 12:22

Come On

confused smiley I can't help feel a little exposed...maybe I'm not that big fan I thought...

Did you pick the album up again, or was this your first spin of it?

If the latter, I can assure it grows on you! thumbs up

Date: March 22, 2013 12:24

"my body stunk, but I kept my funk" - priceless stuff grinning smiley

Date: March 22, 2013 12:34

DandelionPowderman

Yup Dandy, I had to laugh at that one too. Heard it again driving in to work through the snow this morning and that line just jumps out at you.

The other thing I noticed is how generous he was to the fantastic Maggie Bell who completely shares the vocal duties when she comes in half way through the song. Rod does not relegate her to backing vocals and it's a joy to hear them singing in complete harmony. It always send tingles down my spine.

Date: March 22, 2013 12:37

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman

Yup Dandy, I had to laugh at that one too. Heard it again driving in to work through the snow this morning and that line just jumps out at you.

The other thing I noticed is how generous he was to the fantastic Maggie Bell who completely shares the vocal duties when she comes in half way through the song. Rod does not relegate her to backing vocals and it's a joy to hear them singing in complete harmony. It always send tingles down my spine.

Absolutely! And then Mac excels it even further with his piano licks. A classic!

Date: March 22, 2013 14:21

DandelionPowderman
Come On

Did you pick the album up again, or was this your first spin of it?

If the latter, I can assure it grows on you! thumbs up

I have owned it for years...

Psss...Don't tell anybody but I honestly think Ronnies solo-stuff is much classier than Rods...

2 1 2 0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-22 14:21 by Come On.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1377
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home