Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Copyrights - IORR policy
Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: March 15, 2013 01:23

bv
Please limit posting of entire articles and pages due to copyright issues. Also if you want the book please buy it. Thank you.

Bjornulf

Yes, this is your board, and you could decide what you want. You censored me twice. Not complain.
But my advice to you is that you should to worry how this Stones meeting could be more interesting and without OTs and other imbecile stuff.
And i'LL TELL YOU SOMETHING, i'M VERY WELL educated about copyrights. It's my job, btw.

O.K> and here si little quiz if someone want > Here is extracts from one book. Which one?
In 1945 popular music had a serious purpose: to defy postwar depression and revitalise the romantic and hopeful aspirations of an exhausted people. My infancy was steeped in awareness of the mystery and romance of my father’s music, which was so important to him and Mum that it seemed the centre of the universe. There was laughter and optimism; the war was over. The music Dad played was called Swing. It was what people wanted to hear. I was there.
============
There was a lot to explore, although it turned out that the Stones were at the top of the local heap. Ealing had been the birthplace of British R&B a year before. Alexis Korner, father of the genre, had begun a regular gig at the basement Ealing Club, with the legendary Cyril Davies on blues harmonica. Brian Jones sat in from time to time, playing slide guitar. Jack Bruce played upright bass, while Mick Jagger sang Chuck Berry songs. By autumn 1962 The Rolling Stones had evolved into the band we know today, and had taken over the weekly Ealing Club R&B date. Occasionally we local art students would catch sight of them wandering around before the gig. By 1963 rumours about the Stones had become legend; there was no doubt in our minds that – The Beatles aside – this was the band to watch.
============
We were scheduled to support The Rolling Stones in Putney at the end of December 1963 and I was prepared to be cynical; without hearing them play, I’d decided their reputation must be based on their hairstyles. Instead I was blown away. Our producer, Glyn Johns, introduced me to Brian Jones and Mick Jagger, who were courteous and charming. From the side of the stage I watched them play and became an instant and lifelong fan. Mick was mysteriously attractive and sexually provocative, possibly the first such talisman since Elvis. As Keith Richards waited for the curtain to open he limbered up by swinging his arm like a windmill. A few weeks later we supported them again at Glenlyn Ballroom, and when I noticed that Keith didn’t use the windmill trick again I decided to adopt it.
==========
I was desperate to hang on to her, and to have her illuminate my life. I invited her to New York where I thought I might do some more work at Atlantic Studios. We attended a party with Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall, and hung out with Christopher Reeve and Robin Williams. Photographer David Bailey told me his wife, Marie Helvin, was a fan of mine – I think they were drifting apart and he was hoping I would take her on a date.
The partner-swapping mood continued when at the end of the evening Mick asked Louise for her number, and I was stunned when she gave it to him. She had done this once before when we went to a party thrown by Bernie Cornfeld, the international financier, and he had asked for her number and got a result. The trip turned even worse for me because Karen managed to find out where I was and called my room at the Navarro, complaining I had taken my new crush to her favourite hotel. I went to bed depressed, and Louise went out to watch Madness perform alone.
The next day Louise made it clear she’d had a wonderful evening without me. I felt sorry for having dragged her across the Atlantic only to be subjected to my possessive, childish behaviour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-15 15:53 by bv.

Re: Copyrights
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 15, 2013 01:25

Who I Am

Date: March 15, 2013 01:30

His Majesty
Who I Am

Thanks for your answer! RIGHT! I thought that question is little harder...

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 15, 2013 01:34

It's only easy when you know the answer. grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 15, 2013 06:34

JJackFl
bv
Please limit posting of entire articles and pages due to copyright issues. Also if you want the book please buy it. Thank you.

Bjornulf

Yes, this is your board, and you could decide what you want. You censored me twice. Not complain.That sounds like a passive aggressive complaint
But my advice to you is that you should to worry how this Stones meeting could be more interesting and without OTs and other imbecile stuff. Nice advice, I'm sure BV appreciates it and way to build a relationship!
And i'LL TELL YOU SOMETHING, i'M VERY WELL educated about copyrights. Command of the English language on the other hand, not so much. It's my job, btw. ...and hang on to it with dear life BTW

Responses in italicized bolded red, above!

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: March 15, 2013 06:47

JJackFl
bv

Bjornulf

Yes, this is your board, and you could decide what you want. You censored me twice. Not complain.
But my advice to you is that you should to worry how this Stones meeting could be more interesting and without OTs and other imbecile stuff.
And i'LL TELL YOU SOMETHING, i'M VERY WELL educated about copyrights. It's my job, btw.

Based on your extensive posting of copyrighted material from the Graff/Durchholz book published by MBI, you don't appear to be very well educated about copyrights at all. Trust me on this one.

A word of advice - you never know who's on this forum...might be someone associated with an author and/or publisher.

Date: March 15, 2013 12:59

treaclefingers
JJackFl
bv

Bjornulf

Yes, this is your board, and you could decide what you want. You censored me twice. Not complain.That sounds like a passive aggressive complaint
But my advice to you is that you should to worry how this Stones meeting could be more interesting and without OTs and other imbecile stuff. Nice advice, I'm sure BV appreciates it and way to build a relationship!
And i'LL TELL YOU SOMETHING, i'M VERY WELL educated about copyrights. Command of the English language on the other hand, not so much. It's my job, btw. ...and hang on to it with dear life BTW

O you bv advocate, you're welcome.
My broken english, even not fluent, I haven't excuse. But I hope that you'll understand rest.
Copyrights > just see part Buy/Sell/Trade and tell me story about copyrights.
This board with nothing new with years, with horrible interface have only one quality in fact that is only one realtive Stones board.
And don't be so pretentious to think that anyone who is not Stones fan could read or controll this site.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: March 15, 2013 15:14

Oh, JJackFl, what's wrong? Why must you sound so aggressive, please? Don't panic!

This is just a Stones forum, not more. And, I believe, the vast majority of posters here fancy love, peace and happiness, and, to talk about their favourite band, simple as that.

Try to relax and, if desired, have a drink. The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, e.g., also mentions alcohol and gives a recommendation. It says that the best drink in existence is the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, the effect of which is like having your brains smashed out with a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick.

Last resource: If the drink dosn't render the desired effect, one may still take refuge to a pair of Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses. These sunglasses have been specially designed to help people develop a relaxed attitude to danger and other disturbances. At the first hint of trouble, they turn totally black and thus prevent you from seeing and, of course, reading anything that might alarm you.

Re: Copyrights - IORR policy
Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 15, 2013 16:01

This is the official IORR policy on copyright issues vs books.

If you want to write about a book on IORR then feel free to post bits n pieces from that book (or magazine). But if you scan and post every single page, or entire chapters, then you steal intelligent work property of the owner. Anyone are able to buy books. If people can't buy books then they can go to a library. Or apply for a loan, or ask a friend. It is not acceptable to publish large portions of books on IORR.

This is not about censorship. In fact those scanned pages are not even on IORR, they are usually hosted on Photobucket or some other image server, so I do not have any legal issues with it. But I have principal and moral opinions on it.

I do NOT want other people to steal my work, what I write on IORR, and then place ads or build pride and fame on my work. Same with authors in general. They work hard for a day or a year or a lifetime, then they publish their work. They do not want others to steal their work.

If you have 100 dollars in your pocket, you do not like it if other people take 50 of them for their own personal use. Same thing. Ownership.

If you don't understand this, please ask someone who know about ownership, like a cop, a president, a pope, a smart friend or your mother. They should know.

Bjornulf

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 15, 2013 16:05

Well said BV.
Sums it up very well. thumbs up

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: March 15, 2013 16:10

Stealing is just another form of sharing...and I got an A in sharing in kindergarten last year....

Date: March 15, 2013 16:45

GRNRBITW
Stealing is just another form of sharing...and I got an A in sharing in kindergarten last year....

I said the exact same thing in another thread....you stole that from me!

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: March 15, 2013 17:06

JJackFl
treaclefingers
JJackFl
bv

Bjornulf

O you bv advocate, you're welcome.
My broken english, even not fluent, I haven't excuse. But I hope that you'll understand rest.
Copyrights > just see part Buy/Sell/Trade and tell me story about copyrights.
This board with nothing new with years, with horrible interface have only one quality in fact that is only one realtive Stones board.
And don't be so pretentious to think that anyone who is not Stones fan could read or controll this site.

Nobody puts a gun at your head saying use this board.
If you don't like it and how things are handled, just don't use it.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: March 15, 2013 17:20

Time of month.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 15, 2013 17:25

You know, JJackFI, this message board is basically aimed to cheerleaders with pockets full of money. And ideal Rolling Stones fan base, I guess. For the rest, it is not so comfortable.

- Doxa

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 15, 2013 17:27

Hey JJackF1 !

I've been one of the posters who used to thank you about posting interesting articles from new magazines & sometimes I forgot myself about the copyright stuff ,especially when it came about photos .

All-OK ,almost all of them :-)) - the posters here on iorr try to do their best to contribute and make this site alive -and well- but bv is the owner of the shop and I think he doesn't set/require the iorr policy for nothing .
I think he has no time to deal with copyright problems in case an author finds out a whole copy of his article .
IMO, you better talk about this by sending him an e-mail ( like I did when my thread " Best looking male musicians" was closed while another thread "Best looking female musicians" wasn't closed winking smiley )

To calm down a little bit -and joke ,which is not easy as English isn't my native langage - just imagine that posting a few lines from a magazine can be like what foreplay is to lovemaking :-,

Cheers from France !
Sway

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Date: March 15, 2013 17:42

O.K.
I give up.
Spec. I don't want to be agressive.
I'm trying to post some extracts about Stones...but
I promise that I'll take care about copyrights.

But please tell me is it normal that STONES board have this posts :
OT: Justin Bieber's hamster has died
O/T Status Quo at the Manchester Apollo, Wednesday 6th March 2013
OT: Pope Francis from Argentina. (I investigate Stones are atheists naturally)
OT - Todd Rundgren's new album / he is not Bowie, for example...
Boz Scaggs Memphis
OT: Legends On Tour 2013
OT: The "I Love A Bass Player Who Thinks He's The Lead Guitarist" Thread
OT: NFL 2012
OT: Possibly the most bizzare backup act pairing
OT - A Rumour from Ground Control
ot March Madness / NCAA Basketball 2013
OT Kiss Alive Doco
OT: Chicago
OT: The Sons of Cream , bunch of clowns....
etc.
You could say that one could ignore posts which I mention, but I really think that board have to have some rules about copyrights and contests.

Date: March 15, 2013 17:53

JJackFl
O.K.
I give up.

Boz Scaggs Memphis
OT Kiss Alive Doco
etc.
You could say that one could ignore posts which I mention, but I really think that board have to have some rules about copyrights and contests.

Why do you let all this bother you? BTW, even if you don't agree with BVs rules...that's not the same as saying there are no rules around copyrights.

You just don't happen to like them and you've voiced that a couple of times.

Perhaps time to just let it go.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 15, 2013 17:53

I know what you mean, JJackFI, and I can assure I am not the only one. But this is BV's kindergarten and we need to follow the policy/ideology here. Don't think twice, it's alright.

- Doxa

Date: March 15, 2013 17:56

Well,JJF1 , I haven't read /didn't read these OT threads ,but I am sure I won't read the thread about the hamster :-))))
My 13 years old daugher isn't anymore into J.Bieber ,thanks G.D !

BTW ,some OT threads are worth to read , like he Cars'one winking smiley

Date: March 15, 2013 18:01

JJackFl
O.K.
I give up.

Boz Scaggs Memphis
OT Kiss Alive Doco
etc.

You missed .

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 15, 2013 18:03

There has to be a sense of measure in things.

If a book is out of print (or a piece of music is not officially available) I think that sharing is not only an acceptable but also a laudable practice.

If a book can be easily bought, sharing is not acceptable, as a matter of politeness towards the editor of the site, because he could face serious trouble.

In practice, sharing of copyrighted material is inevitable and, hopefully, sooner or later will lead to a world where the "product" of intellect can be accessed by everybody in the freest fashion possible. Exactly the concept of public libraries.

Of course "authors" have to eat. But economy in the internet era has proved that there are many ways to earn big money also in a system based on free exchange of contents.

C

Date: March 15, 2013 18:06

Lets face it JJackFl, there are only a certain amount of things you could talk about The Rolling Stones,especially in the days where no tour was iminent.

When you start to get posts about,'What do Mick and Keef like for breakfast',or 'Has Mick got an extra toe', well then OT subjects can keep the interest up with the site,and give a reason sometimes just to visit IORR.

Lot's of the OT posts in my opinion are just a laugh and good fun to contribute to as well.
Some,for me,I find very informative ,especially if it's on music related subjects.
I am a great fan of The Rolling Stones ,but I also like OT subjects as well.
Surprising what I have learnt or found out from them.

As you rightly said,if you don't like OT posts,then just ignore them. winking smiley

Date: March 15, 2013 18:10

'Has Mick got an extra toe'

Has he?

Date: March 15, 2013 18:17

JJackFl
O.K.
I give up.

Boz Scaggs Memphis
OT Kiss Alive Doco
etc.

Just a polite question,but are the ones you put in bold,the ones you realy,realy hate ? confused smiley

Date: March 15, 2013 18:22

GravityBoy

'Has Mick got an extra toe'

Has he?

Honest,there was a thread on here,about Mick having an extra toe, a year or two back.Piccys of his feet as well,speculating about it.Very informative. I contributed to that one myself as well. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 15, 2013 19:09

JJackFI

oh...may I recommend this relevant one with beautiful interface and daily news popping in constantly...

[www.rollingstones.com]

Date: March 15, 2013 19:13

shortfatfanny
JJackFI

oh...may I recommend this relevant one with beautiful interface and daily news popping in constantly...

[www.rollingstones.com]

Plus 1 smileys with beer

Posted by: JamesPhelge00 ()
Date: March 15, 2013 19:49

If a book is out of print - that does not mean it is out of copyright.

Out of print just means it is not being currently printed by the publisher - or - the publisher's contract with the author has expired. All copyrights will have reverted to the author. You can't just copy/distribute it.

You can use/publish up to 1000 words as a sample or reference - but must give credit to author and publisher.

Above 1000 words you need written permission and a royalty may be due.

...and you are no allowed to alter it. Even if it does make it better.. ))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-03-15 19:52 by JamesPhelge00.

Date: March 15, 2013 20:13

JamesPhelge
If a book is out of print - that does not mean it is out of copyright.

Out of print just means it is not being currently printed by the publisher - or - the publisher's contract with the author has expired. All copyrights will have reverted to the author. You can't just copy/distribute it.

You can use/publish up to 1000 words as a sample or reference - but must give credit to author and publisher.

Above 1000 words you need written permission and a royalty may be due.

...and you are no allowed to alter it. Even if it does make it better.. ))
O.K. James Phelge
here is little extract from best Stones book ever >
“Brian’s just about making enough to keep us from being chucked out of this place, and it’s winter, it’s like the worst winter ever. Brian and me sitting around this gas fire, wondering where to get the next shilling to put in it to keep the fire going. Collecting beer bottles and selling them back to the pubs, getting like three shillings, and going to pads where we knew there’d been parties on, walkin’ in sayin’ Hello, how nice, we’ll help you clean up, and we’d steal the bottles and whatever food we could find lying around the kitchen and run for it. It’s gettin’ really sick, down to pickin’ people’s pockets, in fact that’s why these two LSE cats leave. They split, and we get this other cat in who’s worth a brief mention ’cause he was as horrifyingly disgusting as Brian and myself at the time and also ’cause he used to call himself Phelge, which was just a nickname, but he insisted on being called Phelge.
“Nanker Phelge”—listed as the writer of the Stones’ original songs on their first records—“was a creation of Brian’s. This guy who called himself Phelge was going through this incredible scene at the time—everybody went through it in a way, Mick went through his first camp period, he started wandering round in a blue linen housecoat, wavin’ his hands everywhere—‘Oh! Don’t!’ A real King’s Road queen forabout six months, and Brian and I used to take the piss out of him. Mick was on that kick, and this guy that we lived with, Phelge, was into being the most disgusting person—he was going through being the most disgusting thing ever. Literally. You would walk into this pad, and he would be standing at the top of the stairs, completely nude except for his underpants, which would be filthy, on top of his head, and he’d be spitting at you. It wasn’t a thing to get mad about, you’d just collapse laughing. Covered in spit, you’d collapse laughing.
Please tell me am I wrong when citate this part.
Or could writer of this book will come on this site and complain about copyrights?
Could this extract be usefull for Stones fans if any of them don't know nothing about this book?
crawdaddy
JJackFl
O.K.
I give up.

Boz Scaggs Memphis
OT Kiss Alive Doco
etc.

Just a polite question,but are the ones you put in bold,the ones you realy,realy hate ?
YES! But it's not right word. Most redundant is better...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1701
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home